Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong for me to want a GameCube?

Options
  • 10-07-2013 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭

:o

I kind of avoided Nintendo for some unknown reason since the SNES and I would like to rectify that. I've never played a Zelda game for example! Is there still fun to be had with the big purple box? My expectations are realistic regarding graphics etc. but I'm wondering what the enjoyment levels will be like nowadays.

Also, where would be the best place to look for one? Are there any recommended retro gaming outlets or websites or am I just better off keeping an eye on Gumtree/DoneDeal/Adverts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

As far as I know the wii is fully backwards compatible with gamecube games, memory card and controllers. Get a wii cheap and try second games stores and ebay etc for the rest. 2 consoles for the price of one. There is still a good library of good games Mario sunshine, double dash, smash bros melee etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

If you want a Gamecube eBay UK has loads of them, most selling for a few quid, and use Parcel Motel for delivery.

Me and my kids still play on ours from time to time, as Tim says there's a good few games that are well worth playing. Including Zelda of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Get a Wii. That way you can get all the games from the Cube, get the great retail games on the Wii, and then look to virtual console and get lots of great retro titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yea, get the Wii since it's backwards compatible and you can pick them up pretty cheap these days.

I've only properly played Gamecube games in the past few months and I'm well impressed with the games it had like Metroid Prime and Zelda: The Wind Waker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I got a gamecube a few months back as decoration for my games rooms. I think it was 30 quid on adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Just make sure its a regular Wii, not the Wii mini.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-nintendo-wii-mini-review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

If you're in Dublin Cex on liffey street still stock gamecube stuff I believe.

Amazing little console with absolutely incredible games. One of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Thanks guys, I wasn't aware that the GameCube was backwards compatible with the Wii, along with the controllers. That opens up some new possibilities and should keep me entertained for a while. I need a change from norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Worth it for Eternal Darkness alone, never mind Viewtiful Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Eternal darkness blew my mind. If you like resident evil you owe it to yourself to get a copy of the resident evil 1 remake.

... I want another gamecube now... the laser in mine went from being played too much.

• Advertisement

+1 on Viewtiful Joe. Some of the most fun gameplay ever ina game.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

I adore my gamecube, bringing it to college was amazing.

Suggestions:

Super Mario Sunshine
    Wind Waker (Bonus disc incl. Ocarina of time)
    Twilight Princess
    Bonus disc with Majora's Mask
    Smash bros
    Luigi's Mansion
    Mario Kart
    Sonic Adventure 2 battle
    Metroid Prime 1&2
    Viewtiful Joe
    Pikmin 1&2
    Resident Evil games
    Eternal Darkness
    Pokemon Colosseum/XD
    Metal Gear Solid
    Super Monkey Ball
    Timesplitters 2
    Paper Mario
    Doshin the giant
    Super Mario Strikers
    Starfox
    Billy Hatcher

I don't think I'm missing anything... But yeah, other than those, there's loads more great games on it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Eternal darkness blew my mind. If you like resident evil you owe it to yourself to get a copy of the resident evil 1 remake.

... I want another gamecube now... the laser in mine went from being played too much.

Have a friend who raves about the Res1 remake on Nintendo and he's a complete PS3 fanboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,922 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't forget to get a memory card as well. And if you want, you should be able to pick up a controller extension lead on ebay for cheap. I did and it was great.
    Games I would suggest have nearly all been suggested, but if getting TimeSplitters 2 you may as well go for TimeSplitters: Future Perfect as well.

I highly recommend the Metroid Prime games, but if you get the Wii (The original. There are 3 models. The last 2 don't play GC games) you can get the Metroid Prime Trilogy for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I've never played a Zelda game

:eek:

YnSMmzS.gif

Get a Wii and download them on the Virtual Console store. I would recommend "A Link to the Past" which was the third Zelda and was on the SNES and also "Ocarina of time" which was on the Nintendo 64. Both classics and two of my favourite games. A link to the past has aged really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Wasn't GC backwards compatibility removed from the later version of the Wii, not just the Wii Mini?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Just make sure its a regular Wii, not the Wii mini.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-nintendo-wii-mini-review

Or the family edition Wii, which looks the same except has no stand or gc backwards compatibility. I dont think ive even seen wii mini in a shop.

Id get a wii and gc controller and mc off ebay. Id play Resident Evil IV and Pikmin on wii over gc. Re: Zelda, i would play skyward sword over wind waker which gets bogged down with filler towards the end(wii u remake is addressing this).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

This is a great help, especially with the game suggestions. It's good to know they are still recommended in the twilight of their life.

Is there any visual clue to determine whether the Wii is compatible with the GC games?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tweej wrote: »
    I adore my gamecube, bringing it to college was amazing.

Suggestions:

Super Mario Sunshine
    Wind Waker (Bonus disc incl. Ocarina of time)
    Twilight Princess
    Bonus disc with Majora's Mask
    Smash bros
    Luigi's Mansion
    Mario Kart
    Sonic Adventure 2 battle
    Metroid Prime 1&2
    Viewtiful Joe
    Pikmin 1&2
    Resident Evil games
    Eternal Darkness
    Pokemon Colosseum/XD
    Metal Gear Solid
    Super Monkey Ball
    Timesplitters 2
    Paper Mario
    Doshin the giant
    Super Mario Strikers
    Starfox
    Billy Hatcher

I don't think I'm missing anything... But yeah, other than those, there's loads more great games on it

To add a few more:

Chibi Robo
    Fire Emblem
    Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins
    Tales of Symphonia
    Skies of Arcadia Legends
    F-Zero GX (aka the greatest racing game ever made)
    Legend of Zelda Four Swords
    Pac Man Vs.

It's worth getting a freeloader disc as well so you can play imports. US games are usually cheaper than PAL ones.

From that list skip Metal Gear Solid, Sonic Adventure 2 and Starfox, they are crap.

It's worth getting the GC version of Resident Evil 4 if you've only played the PS2 version because it looks so much better it's almost a different game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

If you find a reasonably priced source of official gamecube pads, let me know - mine are all long gone from smash brothers and double dash.

It got to the stage in the end that it was just sharp plastic instead of the analog stick. Smash bros games played with those pads were called blood matches, as we inevitably ended up tearing our thumbs to shreds.

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote: »
    This is a great help, especially with the game suggestions. It's good to know they are still recommended in the twilight of their life.

Is there any visual clue to determine whether the Wii is compatible with the GC games?

Well the newest one is a top loader and looks completely different. The family one that doesn't play GC games is designed to be placed flat and so the Wii logo runs along the bottom.
    http://www.zeldainformer.com/images/news/i_31130.jpg

the original is designed to be placed on it's side so the Wii logo runs along the side
    http://flipmylisting.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-listing/listing_images/726nindeno%20wii%20bundle.gif

At least I believe they're the differences, looking at the pics. At work so can't check my own original model to confirm. i assume the shape along the side will be different as well so as to sit in the stand. And I suppose the obvious thing to confirm it if buying in cex or somewhere is just check if the side opens to allow gamecube controller and memory card connection

And as you're new to both GC and Wii, you're in for a treat. Great games on both. Maybe pick up a Wii MotionPlus controller/addon as well if the one you buy doesn't come with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Not wrong at all, fantastic console. A Wii and a 2nd hand gamecube pad will do the same thing so see which is cheaper, if you want the cube itself for the sake of owning it then there's plenty to be found cheap on ebay. I sold mine like a fool :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Use the Dolphin emulator to play Zelda Wind Waker. (needs about 3 Ghz processor)

It's gorgeous in 720P

works beautifully with an Xbox controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Yup, as others have said pick up a second hand orignal Wii, it has removable 'lids' on the left hand side of the system when it is laid flat that when removed shows 4 gamecube controller sockets and two gamecube memory card slots, thats what your looking for.

Here is one in CEX http://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SWIIWIIE005 right now for €45.

Once you get a Wii, you have backwards compatability with ALL of Nintendo's consoles right back to the NES and a few games from Sega's systems and others on the Virtual Console (VC).

To get games for the Gamecube CEX never seem to get them in anymore but there is a shop on the Quays, near the Italian Quarter called 3DGames (big red sign outside saying 50% off everything) they have 100's of gamecube games and you could prob pick up most of the games listed above in there at reasonable prices (bit of a dirty shop, but has loads of stock, just be prepared...)

Controllers and memory cards for the Gamecube you can get in 3DGames aswell but RAGE on Fade st have Gamecube controllers in stock all the time, they are not Official but I have one and it works perfectly, no problems at all. Also RAGE have a good amount of Gamecube games in stock but the price of the games in there should be looked into before buying....

Also as someone else already said, get an extension cable for the controller on amazon, this is the one I got http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joytech-GameCube-Controller-Extension-Cable/dp/B00006FRL0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373453571&sr=8-1&keywords=gamecube+controller+extension worked out under €10 including post.

Hope this helps.

And play Mario Sunshine!!!!!!!

So in short, it would be more wrong if you didn't want a gamecube. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CastorTroy wrote: »

It would be a crime if I was in charge.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It would be a crime if I was in charge.

Well you are mod here...

Don't tempt me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

CastorTroy wrote: »

Best console startup noise ever too :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Cuchulainn90

If your around Dublin there is a retro store called R.A.G.E that sell GC consoles and games, Its one of the best gaming consoles ever, back in the days when Mario games were awesome!

Advertisement