Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People trying to pawn their old baby stuff off on you...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Only had two explosive poo's so far, one each and both ended up on daddy's lap!! I swear I didn't put them up to it!! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I hear you OP.

We have a 2 year old and my OH is the last of her family and friends to have children so basically we get everyone dumping there (especially toys) worn out stuff on us.

We are not ungrateful bastards or anything. We happily purchased from our friends:

a. Pram
    b. Buggy
    c. Cot
    d. Highchair
    e. Car seats

Just recently, a couple swung by the house (unannounced) with some old tricycles (they are falling to pieces and filthy). The hubby was literally on the way to the tip and decided:

"Hey, I'll save myself the trip and just dump it at xnfhfh's house. Sure they have a small child and we need to free up the attic/garage so everyone's a winner"

Of course, now I must take them to the tip or mayber wait to see if they have more kids and drop it back..:D

As I said, we are not ungrateful spoilt feckers but jaysus. We would cloth Africa twice over and keep a Santa grotto going on Xmas Eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Only had two explosive poo's so far, one each and both ended up on daddy's lap!! I swear I didn't put them up to it!! Lol

My boy does exactly one poo per day, and saves them for the couple of hours in the evening when his daddy's on duty. Honestly six weeks in, and I've probably changed less than ten dirty nappies.

That's my boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

I was asked if I'd like to buy a 3rd hand bugaboo for €300... Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

happypants wrote: »

Aren't they over €1,000 euro new?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

happypants wrote: »

I'd buy it, if it was in halfway decent nick!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

nikpmup wrote: »
    I'd buy it, if it was in halfway decent nick!

If you need to buy new pram mattress carseat, adapters and isofix there is not much difference in price for brand new and second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Millem wrote: »
    If you need to buy new pram mattress carseat, adapters and isofix there is not much difference in price for brand new and second hand.

Mattress = 70 quid, carseat = 150.

Why would you need new isofix or adapters?

pwurple wrote: »
    Mattress = 70 quid, carseat = 150.

Why would you need new isofix or adapters?

Usually the ads I see are for pram and buggy only and are not for the travel system so when I priced it second hand there was very little in the difference. I got my whole cameleon brand new travel system for €950 :)

Usually the ads I see are for pram and buggy only and are not for the travel system so when I priced it second hand there was very little in the difference. I got my whole cameleon brand new travel system for €950 :)

http://www.adverts.ie/4892816
    http://www.adverts.ie/4875561

Two there under €400 for whole system.

• Advertisement

http://www.adverts.ie/4892816
    http://www.adverts.ie/4875561

Two there under €400 for whole system.

Well that is good value but when I was buying mine in sept/oct they were €600/€700. They are second generation though. One poster on here said they got €750 when they sold theirs recently (and I don't know if they included car seat and isofix).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Well that is good value but when I was buying mine in sept/oct they were €600/€700. They are second generation though. One poster on here said they got €750 when they sold theirs recently (and I don't know if they included car seat and isofix).

Yea that was me. I sold mine and got I think it was 700 or 750 (might have been 700). It was a third generation tho and only 8 months old so also had a full years warranty aswell. I sold it with everything except the carseat and isofix as need these for the new addition. Originally paid €1250. Would love to know how u got everything for €950!! That's a bargain!

Just down to timing I suppose, sometimes you can be lucky. Personally not a fan of the bugaboos - find them very heavy and not particularly manoeuvrable. Each to their own though.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Yea that was me. I sold mine and got I think it was 700 or 750 (might have been 700). It was a third generation tho and only 8 months old so also had a full years warranty aswell. I sold it with everything except the carseat and isofix as need these for the new addition. Originally paid €1250. Would love to know how u got everything for €950!! That's a bargain!

Let's just saw my oh refuses to go into buggy shop with me as I supposedly embarrassed myself and himself with my haggling!! Seriously I am terrible I refuse to pay full price for anything. However when the oh was buying an ipad in powercity he had no problem getting me to work my magic! When I was pricing secondhand say €700 plus new mattress, car seat isofix to was basically going to be same price :) it took me 2 days of haggling though and pad in cash. Buggy shop will price match no questions in fairness to them. I am looking into the Tripp trapp at the moment and again will be "embarrassing" the oh in the shop! He tells me my low
    Ball offers are "insulting" lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We have a brio 3 in1 for sale. Hoped to get the winter out of the pram and car seat but at 10 weeks he's outgrown them both.
    We bought new on number 1 but knowing how little use we got of of the majority of the system I'd never say to anyone buy new prams.

Just down to timing I suppose, sometimes you can be lucky. Personally not a fan of the bugaboos - find them very heavy and not particularly manoeuvrable. Each to their own though.

I was looking at 3rd generations. I have cameleon and it is so easy to manoeuvre I push it with one hand and walk 3 Labradors in the other hand no problem! And sometimes have to hold 2litres of milk or an odd shopping bag lol (I might try a backpack in future though!) I have never tried donkey, bee or buffalo though maybe they are heavier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I was looking at 3rd generations. I have cameleon and it is so easy to manoeuvre I push it with one hand and walk 3 Labradors in the other hand no problem! And sometimes have to hold 2litres of milk or an odd shopping bag lol (I might try a backpack in future though!) I have never tried donkey, bee or buffalo though maybe they are heavier?

Test pushed a Donkey the other day (not for me, I'm past needing a double) in a friends house and it is indeed quite heavy but still easy enough to push.

January wrote: »
    Test pushed a Donkey the other day (not for me, I'm past needing a double) in a friends house and it is indeed quite heavy but still easy enough to push.

I never bothered even trying to push them in the shop I call the buffalo and the donkey "mini tractors"!! The size of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We have the cameleon 3. The size of it never bothered me but then again I'm not trying to squeeze it into a small boot as I have a superb estate. Our hall is wide and long too so it's not in the way at all in the house. We just leave it up. We live in the country and it handles the bumpy roads well. My mother did say she thought it was very bulky but the first time she used it she thought it handled like a dream. My husband was mad for us to get the donkey. He keeps saying we'll get it when we have the next one. No.1 is only 15 weeks so hopefully the donkey is a while off yet :)

Roesy wrote: »
    We have the cameleon 3. The size of it never bothered me but then again I'm not trying to squeeze it into a small boot as I have a superb estate. Our hall is wide and long too so it's not in the way at all in the house. We just leave it up. We live in the country and it handles the bumpy roads well. My mother did say she thought it was very bulky but the first time she used it she thought it handled like a dream. My husband was mad for us to get the donkey. He keeps saying we'll get it when we have the next one. No.1 is only 15 weeks so hopefully the donkey is a while off yet :)

I have a vw polo and it fits no probs :) I leave pram permanently up sooooo handy and we live in standard 3 bed semi! My friend pushed it she said it was much easier to manoeuvre than the icandy (which I have never pushed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I have a vw polo and it fits no probs :) I leave pram permanently up sooooo handy and we live in standard 3 bed semi! My friend pushed it she said it was much easier to manoeuvre than the icandy (which I have never pushed)

My husband finds it a bit of a disaster to fit the pram and base into his is250 boot. Think the base itself is grand going in. Assuming the buggy will take up less room and fit in easier than the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I am a bit worried about the size of my travel system and my boot. My sister is giving me her Quinny Buzz and I have a Ford Fiesta. Does anyone know if the Buzz is at the larger or smaller end of the scale? Won't get the chance to pick it up off her for another month or so.

I had a quinny buzz - until it got nicked! It's not the smallest folding, but the carrycot or pushchair part detaches, and the wheels all pop off with the press of a button, which makes the frame considerably smaller. If it's the newer model of carrycot (the dreami) it collapses flat as well. It has a gaslift opening, which means it opens itself, handy when you have armfuls of baby or shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

nikpmup wrote: »
    I had a quinny buzz - until it got nicked! It's not the smallest folding, but the carrycot or pushchair part detaches, and the wheels all pop off with the press of a button, which makes the frame considerably smaller. If it's the newer model of carrycot (the dreami) it collapses flat as well. It has a gaslift opening, which means it opens itself, handy when you have armfuls of baby or shopping!
    Thanks nikpmup, it wouldn't be the newer model, this was bought about 6 years ago, but was used quite infrequently as my sister had a second baby within the year so had to change to a double. I doubt I'll have much space in the boot once it's in, but I'm trying to avoid changing the car for as long as possible!

You'll manage, I found taking it apart and taking the wheels off meant I could get it in my boot - admittedly, it was like playing car tetris but it worked! It's a good robust buggy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We got a tonne of stuff off my sister over the weekend and she was adament that we only take what we actually wanted. We ended up taking everything though so got a crib, a tonne of clothes, playmats etc. Some of the clothes still had their tags on as her junior was collosal.
    We bought the pram and travel kit alright. Expensive yokes but suited us to get it new.
    Noone has offered us crap yet but I would have no problem saying No or if I thought they would be offended or upset I would just bin it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

We were able to fit our Quinny Buzz in the boot of an old style Fiesta... we did have to pop the wheels off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I have a Mini Cooper so I'm going to have to change mine for sure. I can get either the baby or the buggy into it- would be best not to have to make a choice! Also to get a buggy into it will involve putting the back seats down so that would be quite the carry on every time you were to go somewhere.
    I love my car so will be a bit sad to see it go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have a Mini Cooper so I'm going to have to change mine for sure.

I had an Audi TT and had to get rid of it :(
    Now I have an Insignia and I think the TT would fit into the boot of it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I had an Audi TT and had to get rid of it :(
    Now I have an Insignia and I think the TT would fit into the boot of it :D

:D:D A friend at work had her first baby last October and she too had a TT that she had to get rid of.
    Its such a lifestyle change isn't it? Moving from your very definite "its me and one other passanger and two bags of shopping" to a family car.
    I'm thinking of getting the Hyundai i40. They look nice, get great reviews are very fuel efficient and should be plenty big for our expanding family unit.
    The Insignia is the other car on my list. Pretty much for the same reasons as above. My sister and my parents have one so I've gotten a few turns at the wheel and its a nice car to drive.

Advertisement