Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boggers Log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Yesterday: mainly a core work out:

Plank 2.5 min
    Side plank 1 min
    Plank with waist taps (20)
    Plank with shoulder taps (20)
    Plank To push up (20)
    Russian twists 5kg (20)
    Weighted V sits with extensions (15)
    Sit ups (40)
    Knees table top, weight (5kg) lowered behind head (10)
    Stability ball kneeling 1 min
    Glute bridges (10)
    Lunges
    Body squats
    Pistol squats

Today: I’m working from home so I’ve a bit more flexibility running wise, took a late/extended lunch and headed out in glorious sunshine to attempt my longest run in over 18 months.

NINE whole miles!

Set off with the words of Tom Pettys song in my headphones...

“It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
    I had the Garmin on, I was joggin’
    Trees went by, me and Tang were singin' little Runaway
    I was flyin'

Yeah, runnin' down a sub 3 that never would come to me
    Workin' on a mystery, goin' wherever it leads
    Runnin' down a dream

It felt so good, like anything was possible
    Hit cruise control and rubbed my tight thighs :)

I never ever previously ran with music but I find it really helps with the monotony while doing laps on the pitch. I’ll probably have to do the majority of my miles on the grass but today I did about 4 of the nine miles on the road to try and build up the tolerance.

As with last week the last few miles the pace picked up and again finished with a decent last mile 7.27 split.

Happy to finish the 9 miles around @8.35 average.

Lots of stretching again tonight and hopefully I won’t be in bits tomorrow.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

When lockdown is over and I get back gigiing I am going to find it very hard to cover running down a dream after that post

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Just catching up here now. Good to see you back. Glad to see the gold chain is ever present - brings back memories of it glistening across a sunny pool in Lanzarote :)

Just catching up here now. Good to see you back. Glad to see the gold chain is ever present - brings back memories of it glistening across a sunny pool in Lanzarote :)

Hi P

Hope you’re keeping well, can see you’re still running well.

Funny you should mention Lanzarote we were supposed to go back to the same hotel during Easter (but obviously got cancelled), hopefully we’ll get back there as we enjoyed it (won’t forget that run you brought me on either, the route was only fit for goats)!

The chain was a present from Mrs TbL, it’s actually an electric shock collar :)

TbL

Well that was a bit of an interesting week.

Running with a body that has Spondylolisthesis is like having a second wife:

it demands a lot of care and attention
    If you neglect it it’ll stop cooperating and irritate you for days
    It’s always comparing itself to wife number 1
    It gets mad jealous when it sees you casting admiring glances at fitter and faster models
    It spends a fortune on gimmicks and treatments trying to stop the ageing process
    If you don’t treat it right it’ll turn to artificial stimulants for temporary comfort
    The chances of the relationship lasting aren’t great and I’ll probably up a lonelywrinkly auld lad cycling in tight lycra :)

Any way I got 20 miles done this week.

9 miler
    easy 3 miles
    4 miles with a decent trial fast mile thrown in
    4 miles easy

Also did a few sessions of S&C and one session on the punch bag.

The back felt fine during the 9 miler but in the days after I could feel an ache/weakness in L5/S1. I’ve done a lot of research and I can’t find any examples of people that return to decent running with Spondy unless they have a spinal fusion and I’m not prepared to go down that route. I’ll keep tipping along and hope that the core and glute work will enable me to sustain a decent bit of running.

Looking forward to the mile TT and I’m confident I’ll break my target of 6.40 but short distances were never my thing. Much preferred the slow masochistic pain induced by long distances than the body sundering evisceration of the shorter stuff!

Stay safe

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Hi P

Hope you’re keeping well, can see you’re still running well.

Funny you should mention Lanzarote we were supposed to go back to the same hotel during Easter (but obviously got cancelled), hopefully we’ll get back there as we enjoyed it (won’t forget that run you brought me on either, the route was only fit for goats)!

The chain was a present from Mrs TbL, it’s actually an electric shock collar :)

TbL

All good thanks. We've been to that hotel 6 or 7 times now and it has improved over time. We were there as recently as February and in hindsight was good to get a holiday in this year.

I know most of the running routes at this stage and even the mountain goats now know me well enough :)

Hope the back holds up for you. Running is great for the head these days.

I’d to go into work for a while today.

Wearing underpants and long trousers was a strange experience indeed :)

Absolutely delighted this evening as I’ve managed to run 3 days in a row and I genuinely can’t remember the last time I did that.

The back is still behaving itself and I’m doubling down on my core work to keep it stable.

Hoping to hit 25 miles this week, mainly easy miles but I’ll do another fast mile practice or a couple of 400 meters on Wednesday or Thursday.

Have to be really focussed on every run, engage core, fire up glutes, minimise waddling! The form tends to drop off towards the end of my “longer” runs and that’s when the damage happens so was extra vigilant today.

Only somebody coming back from a bad injury will understand the pleasure 6 sloppy miles could bring!

6 miles @ 8.43.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Keep it handy old man.

If you are making progress like you are, dont be letting a 'silly' game like the TT get you injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Keep it handy old man.

If you are making progress like you are, dont be letting a 'silly' game like the TT get you injured.

+1 to that. We all enjoy reading your thoughts and adventures but is there a danger you’re diving in too soon and too deep?

Careful!

As some people know I’m not the most patient but after Monday’s easy 6 miler the back was aching a bit so I decided to take Murph and AMK’s advise and take it handy.

Did nothing at all on Tuesday.

Wed: did 4 miles mainly on grass nice and easy around 9 min pace.

Thur: another 4 miles, first time during this comeback that I’ve been out in the rain. I used to like running in the rain but I’ve obviously gotten soft in my old age. I HATED this run, it was blowing a gale and I was struggling to keep any sort of form, back to duck waddling! Over 9.34 pace of pure torture.

Fri: started from the house was testing a new pair of headphones (Aftershokz), you listen to the music through bone conduction (the headset doesn’t go into your ears) so that you can still hear the cars around you. They worked really well but the main bone conduction I could hear was my tibia squealing. Very tight and sore, so I left this run at 3 easy miles around 9 min pace.

Sat: a bit of S&C, stretching and foam rolling the tibia and a long walk

Sun: my young lad had to do a virtual 5k for his school so we headed out together. He got a bad stitch but managed to keep going and we finished 5k in 24.15. Did just over 4 miles in total at just under 9 min pace.

About 21 miles for the week, happy enough with that and need to stop myself pushing too hard just yet.

This is the most running I’ve managed over the last 2 years and while 2 weeks of 20 miles mightn’t seem much it is a big step in the right direction for me and the amount of effort to even get here has been colossal.

The one thing I need to be mindful of is to not let the S&C slide just because I’m back doing some trotting! I’ve noticed that I did less this week than previously and the justification was “sure you’ve got your exercise done”. Absolutely can’t let the S&C slide or I’ll be goosed. Going to put a big emphasis on doing it every day I run.

Looking forward to the TT next Saturday

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

For those not in the know, the Lemon is now on Strava. Going by his profile picture he thinks it’s bloody Tinder!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

OOnegative wrote: »
    For those not in the know, the Lemon is now on Strava. Going by his profile picture he thinks it’s bloody Tinder!!!

All the gentle nudges over the years as a coach and it takes ego over a mile for him to finally craic. These are strange new times indeed :P

OOnegative wrote: »

:)

I haven’t a clue how to work that Strava yoke, the last computer I was proficient on was a Commodore 64 :)

What’s tinder B?!?

TbL

:)

I haven’t a clue how to work that Strava yoke, the last computer I was proficient on was a Commodore 64 :)

What’s tinder B?!?

TbL

It’s a more advanced version of Strava, you definitely should look into joining it......

KSU wrote: »
    All the gentle nudges over the years as a coach and it takes ego over a mile for him to finally craic. These are strange new times indeed :P

Ah those gentle nudges in the bushes, memories :)

Do you take cripples for coaching or are you gone all elite now :)

Surge pace for me these days equates to heart burn after dinner!

I’ll buy you a coffee next time I’m up the Big Smoke

TbL

Tough start to the week for me, on Monday evening after the 6 miler the back started aching at L5/S1 and on Tuesday morning I could feel it was inflamed. I was pretty down and resigned to another failed comeback.

The good thing about work conference calls during quarantine is that you can go on mute and do your own thing. Spent most of Tuesday stretching and foam rolling and almost snapping my hip trying to jump out of a pidgin pose to answer, “so what do you think TbL”? “Sorry the line dropped for a second, can you please repeat that!” :)

The inflammation seemed to subside a bit so late in the evening I decided to try a very gentle 3 miler, with a good amount of stretching afterwards.

Woke up on Wednesday and felt a lot better but I decided to try and “see” my physio. After a couple of physios and doctors telling me I wouldn’t be able to run again she’s the only one I listen to and trust. She’d got me to the position where I could box and go about my day mainly pain free so I‘d just continued with my core routine and other exercises she’d given me.

Got the all clear on a video call to run about 25 miles a week (subject to no nerve pain), she doesn’t want me doing distance but has no problem with me (building up to) going faster (that’s gonna be my problem) :)

I used to run like an auld Diesel engine, take a while to warm up, no great acceleration but I could go reasonably decent distances at a steady pace. Now the engine has too many miles on the clock, is out of warranty and impossible to get parts for.

After over 2 years of little running and lots of failed comebacks, 3 consecutive weeks of 20 plus miles seems like a great step in the right direction and coming close to 6 mins for the mile TT was another positive.

This morning I ran laps of the local GA pitch as part of a charity event. The organisers wanted to run 504km in 48 continuous hours (equating to the distance from the village to Temple Street hospital and back). The event started Friday evening and they were breaking the run down into 30 min slots. My daughter and I put our name down and I got a slot at 7.30 this morning. I was hoping to just plod around but when I got up there someone said “ah look heres a lad that used to do a bit of running, we should be ok for 5k” , with a big daft grin on his puss.

Ffs. Grrrr! Then I heard there was a leaderboard and you needed 7k to get on it. Ffs, plod out the window, I was all in! Wasn’t having a bunch of GA heads and spotty Fortnite gamers lording it over me :)

Was a bit stiff after yesterday but I’d done 30 min warm up so I was feeling ok. Think I ran a 2 & half year 5k pb during this run! Splits were 7.04, 7.04, 6.56, 6.39 & 6.21 for the bit. Ran 4.38 miles and they photoed the Garmin and translated it to km, as I was cooling down I heard one of the organisers say to one of the other lads who was waiting, “Jazus Jack you’re fcuked that auld lad ran 7k” :)

I’m now hoping that I can continue to progress and I’m going to set myself some mini targets as I plod along.

Think I’ll then see if I can do a 5k plan within my mileage allowance.

Mon: 6 miles @ 8.24
    Tue: 3 miles NHS
    Wed: S&C
    Thur: 6 miles @ 8.04
    Fri: 3 miles NHS
    Sat: 3 miles including 1 mile TT @ 6.06
    Sun: 30 mins 4.38 miles :)

TbL

TbL

Missed the reply here apologies, cripples welcome I need the company these days :D

Definitely overdue a catch up.

Tough start to the week for me, on Monday evening after the 6 miler the back started aching at L5/S1 and on Tuesday morning I could feel it was inflamed. I was pretty down and resigned to another failed comeback.

The good thing about work conference calls during quarantine is that you can go on mute and do your own thing. Spent most of Tuesday stretching and foam rolling and almost snapping my hip trying to jump out of a pidgin pose to answer, “so what do you think TbL”? “Sorry the line dropped for a second, can you please repeat that!” :)

The inflammation seemed to subside a bit so late in the evening I decided to try a very gentle 3 miler, with a good amount of stretching afterwards.

Woke up on Wednesday and felt a lot better but I decided to try and “see” my physio. After a couple of physios and doctors telling me I wouldn’t be able to run again she’s the only one I listen to and trust. She’d got me to the position where I could box and go about my day mainly pain free so I‘d just continued with my core routine and other exercises she’d given me.

Got the all clear on a video call to run about 25 miles a week (subject to no nerve pain), she doesn’t want me doing distance but has no problem with me (building up to) going faster (that’s gonna be my problem) :)

I used to run like an auld Diesel engine, take a while to warm up, no great acceleration but I could go reasonably decent distances at a steady pace. Now the engine has too many miles on the clock, is out of warranty and impossible to get parts for.

After over 2 years of little running and lots of failed comebacks, 3 consecutive weeks of 20 plus miles seems like a great step in the right direction and coming close to 6 mins for the mile TT was another positive.

This morning I ran laps of the local GA pitch as part of a charity event. The organisers wanted to run 504km in 48 continuous hours (equating to the distance from the village to Temple Street hospital and back). The event started Friday evening and they were breaking the run down into 30 min slots. My daughter and I put our name down and I got a slot at 7.30 this morning. I was hoping to just plod around but when I got up there someone said “ah look heres a lad that used to do a bit of running, we should be ok for 5k” , with a big daft grin on his puss.

Ffs. Grrrr! Then I heard there was a leaderboard and you needed 7k to get on it. Ffs, plod out the window, I was all in! Wasn’t having a bunch of GA heads and spotty Fortnite gamers lording it over me :)

Was a bit stiff after yesterday but I’d done 30 min warm up so I was feeling ok. Think I ran a 2 & half year 5k pb during this run! Splits were 7.04, 7.04, 6.56, 6.39 & 6.21 for the bit. Ran 4.38 miles and they photoed the Garmin and translated it to km, as I was cooling down I heard one of the organisers say to one of the other lads who was waiting, “Jazus Jack you’re fcuked that auld lad ran 7k” :)

I’m now hoping that I can continue to progress and I’m going to set myself some mini targets as I plod along.

Think I’ll then see if I can do a 5k plan within my mileage allowance.

Mon: 6 miles @ 8.24
    Tue: 3 miles NHS
    Wed: S&C
    Thur: 6 miles @ 8.04
    Fri: 3 miles NHS
    Sat: 3 miles including 1 mile TT @ 6.06
    Sun: 30 mins 4.38 miles :)

TbL

Nothing beats the glory of triumph over the gamers haha even more sweet than you TT (still wheels on the banged up engine anyway :D)

Not a bad weekends work though probably have to put you back into cryogenic statis after a weekend like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

TbL

Don't hold out for the coffee, L. He told me that back in 2015 and I am still waiting ;p

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Don't hold out for the coffee, L. He told me that back in 2015 and I am still waiting ;p

He is a changed man though.

Zoom calls, yoga and strava. He will be in for his flat whites, deconstructed bagels and avocado smash In the trendiest hipster hangouts by the time we come out of all this

Mon: no running. Did a short core session. Body was stiff and tired from the faster stuff the day before

Tue: 3 mile HNS mainly around the local pitch. Core session afterwards.

Wed: another rest day, had planned on doing another few easy miles but between a swim in the sea and eating far too much BBQ I decided to just plonk on the couch.

Thur: was in Dangan and decided to do a few miles around the trails/pitches, had planned on doing it around 8 min pace but I was feeling really good and the pace picked up. Could feel a bit of strength coming back and was starting to enjoy this, 7 miles, 8.16, 7.42, 7.31, 7.15, 7.14, 7.12, 7.25. Was really happy with this run as it in my current “longer” range and was run at a faster pace.

Fri: took another day off as I wanted to give the body time to recover. Did chin ups/push ups and 30 min session on biceps/triceps.

Sat: I’ve run in some beautiful places in the world but I absolutely love the Seanadh Pheatsín (the mountain road between Rossaveal Cross and Oughterard) road. It’s a rolling route and I haven’t run there in years, it was where I did most of my long runs and once while training for the Connemara 100 I ran over to Oughterard and back. (Over 50k) But I was battle hardened back then and I’ve avoided hills since my back injury but yesterday I just really wanted to run part of it, however I was surprised how much the bumpy profile took out of me. Got a wave or two from the odd bog monster who were out in force saving the turf. 7 miles @ 8.05.

Sun: Very easy 3 mile NHS, although the body was stiff after yesterday’s hills. Core session.

Another week with just north of 20 miles so happy with that.

I think I’d now break 21 min for 5k so I’m going to target sub 20 at the first available 5k race :)

Ps. I can’t log into Boards on my phone I keep getting a “backend” 503 error message (anyone know how to fix this)

TbL

• Advertisement

While I’d be the first to jump in and take the p!ss, please take care on the faster runs C. Plus I’ll +1 on the Seanadh Pheistein road, an amazingly beautiful part of Ireland.

NHS/HNS? I'm guessing this is some sort of recovery shuffle by your standards?

You've been very coy about writing up the 1-mile TT. You posted an impressive time considering your recent and not so recent woes. How was it?

re your phone login probs, I'd delete the bookmark and just login in to the main boards.ie site and navigate to the forum.

Murph_D wrote: »
    NHS/HNS? I'm guessing this is some sort of recovery shuffle by your standards?

You've been very coy about writing up the 1-mile TT. You posted an impressive time considering your recent and not so recent woes. How was it?

re your phone login probs, I'd delete the bookmark and just login in to the main boards.ie site and navigate to the forum.

Sorry D, yep it was a typo NHS the auld nursing home special run, you know those slow auld man runs where your arse and nose are equidistant from the ground :)

“Very coy” do I infer from that that I’m usually a braggadocios bo11ix ...:)

The TT was completely secondary to me getting back on track but if I’m totally honest I was slightly disappointed that I didn’t go sub 6. I’m poor at the shorter stuff but I’d done a 6.15 on the pitch the week before. Don’t think I hurt enough on the day and was pissed off the whole way home, I could blame the late change of route the heat the people on the pitches but the truth was I wasn’t prepared to hurt enough for it. Was delighted the back held up but that sub 6 has been niggling worse than the back since, it’s part of the reason I picked the 10 minutes for the next TT.

That and of course the fact that you ran faster than me :)

Hopefully we’ll catch up soon

Take care

TbL

Back running just over a month and another week of 20+ miles and continued progress. Ran 6/7 days and my highest mileage week so far at 30 miles!

Didn’t run on Monday but did a S&C session.

On Tuesday I did my made up session wu/cd with 3 x 0.5 mile at 5k pace off minute. On previous training blocks I’d walk (or crawl) the recovery and I think this was a mistake and impeded my ability to suck it up when things got tough, so I gently jogged the recoveries. Jogged up to the local pitch for this with my young lad and was very happy with the reps, as I got quicker as I went through them, 6.19, 6.14 & 6.08.

The rest of the week saw a couple of uneventful plods as the hips and right glute had tightened up considerably after Tuesdays session.

This week my arse has seen more sliotar than the Galway hurling team :)

Wed: 4 miles easy

Thur: 4 miles easy (including a tough S&C)

Fri: first run in a long long time with someone from outside the family, met up with a work colleague and got 6.4 miles done @ 7.56. Started slow @ 8.48 and it got faster as my work colleague was upping the pace and I didn’t want to drop off finished with a 7.32 mile.

Sat: as Fridays run was all on road I decided to run easy around the local pitch. 5 miles @ 7.58. Spent the whole run thinking about “what ifs” and “what’s next”!

Sun: easy plod up to the pitch and threw in a few laps to get up to 5 miles. Had a lovely swim in the sea beforehand.

While planning what to do running wise I got this unsolicited mail into my inbox:

https://maratondelahabana.com/en/

Ffs! I’d love to do that!

Back to reality, next mini goals in no particular order:

-Run a mile faster than Murph :)

run sub 20, 5k in next 8 weeks
    Run 2500.5 metres for next boards TT
    Run sub 43 for 10k
    Think about a plan for HM towards end of year

Stay safe

TbL

Think the main goal at the moment should be maintain the rehab on your back so those other mini-goals are achievable C.

And get a haircut.......

So I’m on a 10 day run streak. Feel like a pro athlete :)

Continuing to see gains and progress and have to temper my natural inclination to go baloobaas, need to get the balance right.

Mon: felt right cranky and grumpy all day and ate more peanuts than a circus elephant! For the first time I really didn’t want to run, but around 9.30 in the evening I got off the couch and headed out thinking, sure once you get going you’ll love it and everything will be good and as it transpired it wasn’t, I f’ing hated this run!!! It as humid, the midges were starting to set up camp in my newly acquired beard and were using it to launch biting assaults on me. Flies seemed to be magnetically drawn to a kamikaze death on my teeth. The only thing making it tolerable was the 80’s music I was listening to and then my daughter took over Spotify (we’ve family sharing) and I’d to listen to some absolute sh1te until I could take it no more and pulled the headphones down around my neck where they started to compete with the flies to bash my teeth :(

3 horrible slow miles grrrrr

Tue: 7 easy miles with a petulant moody teenager than started running slower and slower trying to piss me off before turning back saying she preferred to run on her own. My this week wasn’t shaping up well!

Finished with a better pace but the overall average pace was very easy.

Did an 45 core session in the evening that almost had me in tears!

Wed: was really looking forward to the return off the football on tv and had planned on taking a rest day as I was stiff and tired but I was soon bored sh1tless by the football so drove up beside the local pitch and got another 4 miles very easy done. Took this run real NHS slow and did a full body scan on the various niggles and aches. The 2 red flag markers for me are sciatica and inflammation in the back, neither were present but everything else aches, but that’s ok and manageable.

Thur: another easy run in the afternoon warmth including a couple of laps of the pitch. 5 miles just under 8 min average.

I haven’t done a session this week and won’t sweat it if I don’t manage to get some faster stuff done. I’m running with the same work colleague tomorrow as I did last week and the pace is usually a bit hotter than my easy pace. If I feel up to it I might try 10 mins at 6.30 pace on Sunday.

I used to spend ages warming up before I’d run but I just do this routine now.

https://youtu.be/hX7Url8Pz0w

It looks simple but it’s the best glute and hip activation routine I’ve come across, really prepares and fires up the glutes for your run.

Stay safe

TbL

Easy, hoss. And pick more ambitious targets than me. ;)

Fair play for humouring the young ones with the accompanied runs - they will appreciate your sacrifice in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Do you do all 19 of those glute exercises before every run? How many of each? She doesn't specify. I think I'd be too wrecked to run after that routine :D

Do you do all 19 of those glute exercises before every run? How many of each? She doesn't specify. I think I'd be too wrecked to run after that routine :D

:) yes in fact I used to spend longer warming up so I find this one useful and now manage to complete it in about 10 minutes. I do both sides to get both glutes firing and when I started I used to just follow her moves on the video, now I pretty much know when the hip has loosened and the glutes are fired.

when I started it I did find it took a bit out of me :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Fri: met up with the same work colleague as last week and we did the same route, slightly over 10k. Since I’ve come back running I’ve been really really slow at the start of every run, lucky if I can manage a sub 9 min mile and some ankle mobility issues and general tiredness made the start of this very slow. Slowly go into it and my work colleague was trying to burn me off for the last 2 miles but I was having none of it! Happy enough with it

6.4 miles: 8.42, 8.10, 7.44, 7.38, 7.32, 7.23 & 7.06 for the last bit.

Sat: Gentle enough NHS to keep all the parts ticking over.

3 miles @ 8.46

Sun: I’d planned on incorporating a test 10 min TT into today’s run but really wasn’t up for it so brought my middle lad up to the pitch for some easy miles, which suited me perfectly, he did 5k and I continued on to get 5 miles done @ 9.00 pace.

Got a new thicker exercise floor mat (15 mm) and baptised it with a 45 min core session. The extra bit of thickness is great as it takes pressure off the back.

Ended up swimming from the local pier in the high tide swell. Lovely!

Ended up with just over 33 miles for the week and I’m still functioning, although I’ll probably step it back next week.

I’m a bit of a Luddite but I signed up for a 2 month trial on Strava premium. At a minimum I was expecting that it would block Tangs sweat porn pictures and unless I want to swim against Fungi’s cousin it doesn’t seem great functionality wise.
    What do people think?

Stay safe

TbL

Advertisement