Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boggers Log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck with it, maestro. Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great to see the post and long may the progress continue.. I hear ya on enjoying running painfree...What's that saying...".you don't miss it till its gone!!" So true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Ran a 5k on NY’s Day in just under 23 minutes and enjoyed it. Gave MartyBoy a shout out at the start but I was so fat I don’t think he recognized me!

You shouted over"Jesus Marty, you wintered well" while gesturing towards my gut. The lads around me bust out laughing as if giving their approval and I had no comeback!!!!!!

Fair play to you for your stubborness and sticking at it, you deserve a break....

I'll catch you at a race soon enough I hope, hopefully before the 5k series 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Ran a 5k race in 21.16 on Sunday but my calf seized in the last 300 meters!

*zoom*
    Seriously impressive after all the lost time.

Fingers crossed the back is going to behave from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Well, what news?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

aquinn wrote: »
    Well, what news?

He ran 21.26 for 5k the other evening off no training, back is still bothering him.

He’s gone from 15st 3 to 13st 1, he’s half the man he was and i’ve photographic proof!!! Fully clothed now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Lol B

I think you preferred me with the love handles. :)

I’ve avoided this place as it was very difficult for me to come on here when I couldn’t run and even hearing that Tang was winning races!

I tried loads of things to get back running but every time I strung a few runs together the body would break down. I was at a meeting in London in Feb and the sciatica was so painful I was almost in tears. It was depressing and frustrating and was actually affecting my mood given running was a huge part of my life for over 10 years. I went to different physios and PT’s and tried loads of different S&C and core exercises.

I kept on breaking down and it was wrecking my f’ing head and the sciatica was debilitating. Took a few weeks off doing nothing, felt good and strong and did a few practice laps of the local pitch then decided to do a few 5k’s managing to get down to sub 21.2x but promptly broke down again.

Decide to give up, embrace a life of watching darts and working on my darts physique :) If I did nothing I didn’t have much pain but the weight went up in tandem with my mood going down.

A chance meeting with a buddy of mine who was back from the States was very fortuitous, his wife worked with people with Spondylolisthesis in the US and was very knowledgeable about it and offered to have a look at the wildebeest pro bono :)

The list of weaknesses that she identified after a hour was truly shocking! Decided to start with my core and glutes. I was expecting savage core exercises but I was given the most basic floor exercise, laying on my back with my knees bent and pelvic tilting with core engaged and spine imprinted on the floor. Week after week she kept me at it as she said I couldn’t hold it without arching my back. I wasn’t allowed do any other exercises (walking and some stretching). I was getting frustrated and told her, she said if I wanted a quick fix to go on Instagram but if I wanted a long term solution to shut the fcuk up and get on with it!!!

Eventually it all clicked and we incorporated more elements of difficulty into the routine. I felt my core getting stronger and stronger and was anxious to do more.

I haven’t had a sciatica flare up in the months since I’ve been seeing her!

She was very reluctant to let me do any running but agreed to a 5k race (22 mins) and later a 10k (47 odd) with strict conditions. Enjoyed it and felt pretty good afterwards, tight but no sciatica.

I’ve also gotten up to 40 mins on elliptical machine (no hands/legs only) a couple of times a week and spend a few hours on S&C as well.

I was surprised when she suggested that I was probably now ready to do some boxing routines for cardio and I started this a few weeks ago, one on one, with an 8th dan kickboxer! Absolutely love it, it’s a savage session, brilliant physically and mentally. The back grumbled the first session or two but now seems to have acclimatized to it. Do some skipping and battle ropes as well.

As Tang has mentioned I’ve also lost two stone, I can once again see my pecker when peeing :) I cut out all the crap and cut down a lot on carbs.

So where does this leave me?

Physio wants only very limited (probably none) running over the winter and we are progressively pushing out the S&C routine. She thinks that I should be able to run some shorter races next summer, I’ll have to accept that I’ll never get back to the volume of miles I once did but she didn’t rule out one final marathon! :)

I’m in a good place now, peace out and enjoy your running.

Phew, that was cathartic :)

TbL

Brilliant as always C!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great to hear! I just got a few funny looks for laughing on the bus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good to hear you are on the mend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Brilliant to hear- good to hear you are in a good place physically and mentally.

She sounds like a real life Mr Miyagi.......... Wax on, Wax off.............. actually, I wont go there........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great news C that the sciatic is a thing of the past and that the body is repairing. good luck moving forward. keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Good to see you back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great to see you back!

Brilliant to hear- good to hear you are in a good place physically and mentally.

She sounds like a real life Mr Miyagi.......... Wax on, Wax off.............. actually, I wont go there........

Lol you’ll get Tang all excited.

Hope you’re well A?

Broken 2.30 yet!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

You can't keep a good man down. Good to see you progressing C. Congrats on the weight loss, I'm goi g the opposite direction!

That’s great news, although wtf is spondywhatchacallit? May the rehab continue to pay off. Great to hear the positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

When's San Sebastian this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Hopefully you'll keep up the progress mate (and visit these here parts a bit more regularly). You had a very important role in me getting over that Sub 3 hurdle...... :)

• Advertisement

The ghost of Christmas past...

Happy New Year and all the best for 2020.

Well another year gone, and the half century age mark is long gone!

Thought I’d pop back here to say hello and have a bit of a ramble.

Life’s Boethius Wheel continues to spin with plenty of ups and downs.

I hadn’t run a single step since 24th August but I haven’t been inactive either!

I managed to keep the back and sciatica pain down to a minimum and can go about my day reasonably pain free if I manage my activities carefully. When the sciatica does flare up it’s debilitating, frustrating and depressing and it’s during these times I come close to succumbing to the surgery (a spinal fusion) that will “cure” my back but ultimately unless it’s chronically affecting my day to day activities I’m not prepared to risk it.

I’ve spent months working on my core and at this stage it’s like concrete :) I had to learn how to sit, walk and sleep properly, and that’s helped the back enormously.

I tried to do one on one boxing once a week, really really enjoyed the buzz from that and my running past came in handy, the first time I sparred, as I spent the 3 mins running away afraid of getting my pretty face bashed up. :) Boxing is a savage cardio exercise and a white collar boxing fight is on my bucket list for 2020!

I also focused on losing some weight and I went from over 15 stone to under 12 stone, if you added 20 years to me I could be mistaken for MurphD :)

I used to play squash at a high enough standard and I thought I’d go back and try it out, really enjoyed it but after a couple of games the physio made me pull the plug as my glutes aren’t strong enough and the twisting aggravated the back.

I’ve done push up, and pull up challenges and even started some small routines on the gymnastics hoops, always trying to challenge myself, keep sane and replicate the running buzz that I’ve missed so much.

The plan for this year is to get the glutes nice and strong.

It hasn’t been plain sailing though and the amount of niggles I’ve had is incredible, the left calf has been problematic since this time last year, my glutes, piriformis, hamstrings and hip flexors are also continuously tight.

I’m going to the physio once a week and get my glutes needled, and if I miss a session I tighten up all over.

I’ve torn my pec, irritated my rotator cuffs, had bad bouts of plantar fasciitis, traps that were so choked that I was getting light headed and dizzy but the injury that still wakes me up at night wasn’t activity related!

I’m sure not many will admit it but most probably do it...dry their body off after a shower with the hairdryer. So I was in Rome with work and had just come out of the shower after a decent gym workout, I put on some Spotify music and after a quick towel down picked up the hairdryer to finish the job. While admiring my newly acquired 12 stone body in the mirror I stated gyrating to Bare Naked Ladies, One Week. The hairdryer was an ancient heavy metal one, probably something like you’d find in the 1960’s in the Soviet Union and it was very hot! Anyway while drying round the groin area an overly exuberant dance sway caused a vital appendage to connect to the barrel of the dryer to which it momentarily stuck :(

The was a faint whiff of bacon fries and I went into shock with the pain as I disentangled the cords! Excruciatingly painful and trying to convince the missus that the grape like blister was caused by a rogue hairdryer was some job! Needless to say I now only use a towel :)

Anyway today I ran my first few steps in over 4 months and it was exhilarating! I decided to rock up to the Galway New Years Day resolution run. Had no idea of what pace/time to try for but last year in the same race I went around in about 22.40 but I didn’t think I’d be able to hold that pace and besides my problematic calf was aching. It was a lovely dry crisp day if a little windy, did a warm up and hit the start line. Started of near the back but after a couple of hundreds metres I felt ok so picked it up slightly.

Finished in 21.32 and I was over the moon with that! It’s unlikely I’ll ever be able to train for or run long distances but if I’m sensible I should be able to manage 5k’s. I’d love to think I’ll get back to a sub 20 but I thought that last year and had set back after setback, so next target will be a sub 21.

Splits were 7.02, 6.52, & 6.40.

Goosed are the end but god how I’ve missed running.

Happy New Year and all the best for your running goals, remember to make the most of it as you never know when life might pulling the running carpet from under your feet.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sorry to hear of the continued niggles, apologies for laughing at what sounds like a very painful experience with the hair drier. Congrats on the run you are obvioulsy in good condition dispite the injuries. Happy new year

Good man C, I see martyboy chickened out of the challenge!! Likely story the hair dryer done the damage to the nutsack!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

while drying round the groin area an overly exuberant dance sway caused a vital appendage to connect to the barrel of the dryer to which it momentarily stuck :(

TbL

That's a novel approach to castration ..... not sure it'll catch on though

hahaha :D

Good to see you're keeping well otherwise. Nice work on the weight loss and the 5k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Can't decide between What The Fook!! and Fooking Hell as most appropriate response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's one of the greatest stories told on Boards in recent times.

Out of interest what was involved in learning to sleep /sit right? I have noticed with some of the lower cross issues that sometimes it's not even related to running. I can wake fairly often in the mornings with tightness in the lower back and hips. Just curious what you changed with your sleeping to help?

Just curious what you changed with your sleeping to help?

His missus told him where to go.......

Drying off with a hairdryer? For the amount of damage you’ve done to the planet doing that over the decades you deserve what you got. :eek:

Nice 5k, well done. Hope the rehab continues to go well. Well done on the weight loss and I’ll forgive you for the unflattering namecheck. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Sorry I missed you today C, just not ready for a race just yet!!!
    Well done, I was delighted when I seen the result earlier...
    I catch up with you for a 5k when I drop a few kilos myself!!!
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Good man C, I see martyboy chickened out of the challenge!! Likely story the hair dryer done the damage to the nutsack!!
    I was all set to toe the line with him but when he rocked up with the brightest luminous green calf sleeves on, I couldn't be seen in his company :D:D
    (There is a video)!!!!!!

• Advertisement

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I was all set to toe the line with him but when he rocked up with the brightest luminous green calf sleeves on, I couldn't be seen in his company :D:D
    (There is a video)!!!!!!

Jaysis I had to put the sunglasses on watching the video M!! Still running like a constipated duck to I see.

Advertisement