Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Am up in Cavan for a couple of days.

Finding it hard to get out with all the clan in tow. Threw an extra few glasses of wine into the missus last night and booked her into the spa for tomorrow so got planning permission to head out this morning.

Had arranged with Tom Joad to do between 8-12 miles. Met TJ outside Staghall church and after some quick pleasantries and a rapid assessment to ensure we didn't fit the psycho serial killer profile (I did notice TJ had to give me the twice over :) ) we were off.

Absolutely beautiful day for a run and after a couple of slow warm up miles were got stuck in. Great chat along a lovely route and the miles flew by. TJ brought me through some lovely quiet country roads, and on a trail through an old country estate. (The scouts have a headquarters there). We even ran into another jurisdiction!

Thanks TJ, great run and tour and if your running dreams don't come to pass there's always a place on the Cavan hurling team for you :)

13 miles

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Jes you even managed to get an extra mile from a Cavan man, well done:eek:
    (only joking Tom)

How do you get a fifty pence piece off a Cavan man?

With a spanner :)

Some seriously fine houses up this direction, and I was surprised by how clean and tidy the whole area is. Belturbet would put most of the towns and villages in Galway to shame. Seems to be a good sense of community spirit around.

TbL

How do you get a fifty pence piece off a Cavan man?

With a spanner :)

Some seriously fine houses up this direction, and I was surprised by how clean and tidy the whole area is. Belturbet would put most of the towns and villages in Galway to shame. Seems to be a good sense of community spirit around.

TbL
    I will inspect the towns and villages on my way to Galway tomorrow and get back to you!

Today: did a couple of laps around the Slieve Russell hotel.

The path is tarred and every 500m marked. The total distanced around the loop is marked as 2471mtrs.

Bit of a hill on the loop that takes it out of legs.

Legs were a bit dead today as I've been doing the kiddie decathlon, tennis, hurling, football, swimming, and chasing after the young lads arrows that he was firing from his kiddie bow.

5 miles @ 7.46

Going to take it handy enough between now and Limerick.

I definitely feel that I'm in PB shape (sub 3.15), but after the abject fail in Seville I'm not as confident of a sub 3.10.

I had a provisional plan of running the first couple of miles with DocQ (he's pacing the sub 3.15) and taking it from there, hoping to hit half way in 1.36 and then assessing if the 3.10 is on in the later stages of the race.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to see if any of the more experienced guys think this is reasonable or not.

The thought of not at least going sub 3.15 in Limerick is something I don't want to countenance.

Tnx for any input.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just thought I'd throw this out there to see if any of the more experienced guys think this is reasonable or not.

TbL

Dont think theres too many more experienced guys than you!!

Seriously though, endurance is your strength, speed is something that you've been working on recently.
    And you've come on a lot in the speed part over the last few weeks.

The old adage of 'picking it up in the 2nd half' is something a lot of people couldn't do mainly through lack of endurance - but you've got it in spades.
    I think you could safely run with the 3:15's and pick it up.

btw - I also think you could run an even split race as well - and finish with a PB.

After the Conn run, so should be super confident.

Wipe Seville out of your head - bad day at the office - this is 'the faster lemon' now.

Tnx for AMK, appreciate the input.

I might have run lots of maras but I've feck all experience of racing.

Seville really hit my confidence hard so the last few races were great from that perspective.

I think I'll stick with Q for a while till I settle and push on if I can.

Will we be able to put up with each other for an hour :)

Thanks again.

I'll be up in Dublin a bit over the summer so if Cianc starts cheating on you, maybe we could hook up again!

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

You'll be completely fine. Roll with me for a bit then push on to glory. You ran Conn and thats a good deal harder. Looking forward to meeting you as I've only shouted at you before...

drquirky wrote: »
    You'll be completely fine. Roll with me for a bit then push on to glory. You ran Conn and thats a good deal harder. Looking forward to meeting you as I've only shouted at you before...

And keep up the shouting Q if my arse starts dropping!

Likewise, and I'll see you on the 4th.

Nice ten miler last weekend by the way, especially with the mid race recovery run.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Starting a pace 5 minutes below target is a lot to make up if you ask me. If you're planning to stick with mayor quimby then do so for 4-5 miles max and progress your pace to hit the 3.10. The only issue could be isolation, can't imagine many people looking for sub 3.10 starting off at 3.15 so you'll prob end up on your own a fair bit once you start upping the pace

I don't think you'll have any problems with the target pace.

• Advertisement

Mayor Quimby ha ha!

Thanks for that Gavlor, that was my initial plan, but the fear of another Seville like meltdown was holding me back.

Have you previously experienced difficulty in running for more than 4-5 miles with Q :)

TbL

QUOTE=Gavlor;90099246]Starting a pace 5 minutes below target is a lot to make up if you ask me. If you're planning to stick with mayor quimby then do so for 4-5 miles max and progress your pace to hit the 3.10. The only issue could be isolation, can't imagine many people looking for sub 3.10 starting off at 3.15 so you'll prob end up on your own a fair bit once you start upping the pace

I don't think you'll have any problems with the target pace.[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Gavlor wrote: »
    Starting a pace 5 minutes below target is a lot to make up if you ask me. If you're planning to stick with mayor quimby then do so for 4-5 miles max and progress your pace to hit the 3.10. The only issue could be isolation, can't imagine many people looking for sub 3.10 starting off at 3.15 so you'll prob end up on your own a fair bit once you start upping the pace

I don't think you'll have any problems with the target pace.

A little birdie tells me a certain famous boardsie will have the same strategy as TbL, so he might have a bit of comapny.
    Hint: it's not me but some say it's one of my relations ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    A little birdie tells me a certain famous boardsie will have the same strategy as TbL, so he might have a bit of comapny.
    Hint: it's not me but some say it's one of my relations ;)

Feck ya Meno,

You can't leave it like that!

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Feck ya Meno,

You can't leave it like that!

TbL

You'll recognise who it is on the start line. I am sure DrQ will introduce you ;)

so if Cianc starts cheating on you, maybe we could hook up again!

TbL

Sure bring your new best friend TJ with you............

Tbh Tbl, it all comes down to one thing.

Forget about Seville, Lose the fear.

Final Exacution And Resurrection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I'm in a very similar position. I'd love a 3.10 but I'd hate to miss out on 3.15 trying. The current plan will be to start with the 3.15 group and push on with 10k to go, hopefully hitting 3.12.xx and a small pb.

I agree with Gavlor. If you're seriously chasing 3.10 you can't hang around too long with the 3.15 group.

I'll introduce myself to the pacers on the day so we can all make ourselves known. Looking forward to it now.

Could ye not have warned me about the wind in Galway. I left the lovely climate of mayo with the hair done and I'm like the whirligig witch now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

TBL

Just rock up on the day and smash it. Don't fret it you have the endurance and now the speed.
    Hope to bump into you afterwards for the celebratory glass of yellow wine.

Ger

Today: did 6 miles (7.42 pace) through Ballyconnell today before we checked out.

Was considering doing another 6 tonight but am wrecked after the drive and the kids killing each other in the back seat for 3 hours.

If I can survive that torture then a 3.10 should be a breeze :)

Going to do 12-14 tomorrow with 6-8 at MP.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

3:18 in a solo effort in Connemara confirms that you are in get shape.....KEEP THE FAITH, get some decent rest this week and you will get your reward for a great training block!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Why so much so close to the race? Take it easy this week

Going to do 12-14 tomorrow with 6-8 at MP.

TbL

The week before Limerick? Ummmm no.

12 easy IMO taper is your friend here you'd gain nothing from that workout- I want you to kick my ass in Limerick TBl be smart!!!

Hi Ray,

I just wanted to keep things ticking over, and I think a smaller taper suits me.

I had planned to do the following:

Sunday: 12-14 with 6-8 at MP

Monday: 4 miles easy

Tuesday: 6-8 miles with 4 at MP or MP -15 seconds (depending on how I felt)

Wed: Rest

Thur: 5 miles with 2 at MP

Fri: 3 miles easy

Sat: Rest

TbL

RayCun wrote: »
    Why so much so close to the race? Take it easy this week

Ok, I've just seen Q's post, after responding to RayC so 12 miles easy tomorrow it is so.

TbL

Hi Ray,

I just wanted to keep things ticking over, and I think a smaller taper suits me.

I had planned to do the following:

Sunday: 12-14 with 6-8 at MP

Monday: 4 miles easy

Tuesday: 6-8 miles with 4 at MP or MP -15 seconds (depending on how I felt)

Wed: Rest

Thur: 5 miles with 2 at MP

Fri: 3 miles easy

Sat: Rest

TbL

Totally understand shorter taper might suit you so keeping that in mind here's what I'd do:

Tomorrow 12 easy

Monday 5 easy

Tuesday 5 easy w/ 2x1 mi at MP 1mun jog in between

Weds : rest

Thurs 4 easy and 8 strides

Fri off

Sat 2-3 mi very easy w a few strides or maybe 800m at MP

Sunday kick ass and PB

Do not run 6 mp tomorrow you mad lemon head!! I bet the only reason you were planning it was as a confidence booster. Save it for next week.

Fresh is best

Thanks for that Q, appreciate it, I'll reorganise accordingly.

Yes Gavlor, the confidence issue was a big part of it, the buzz from going sub 40 last weekend (something I'd never thought I'd actually achieve) was starting to fade so wanted to get some of that buzz again going into next Sunday.

Thanks again lads,

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Run easy, stay away from kids and basketballs and kill it next week!

• Advertisement

Took on board the advice received on here yesterday, so after bringing the middle lad up to the pub to watch he first half of Liverpool and Chelsea, I headed of on my local hilly route to do 12 easy miles.

Another lovely sunny day, that resulted in the singlet getting another airing. Decided to run this without the watch and just coast along.

Picked up the pace for the last 200m and visualised myself crossing the line, next Sunday, in a time closer to Ecolis than Q's...then again... :)

TbL

In my continued attempts to win back AMK's affections, I've taken to hooring myself around with any Boardsie that'll have me. Last week Tom Joad, and at the weekend l almost pulled Muicilin Muc away from his wedding but tonight I got really lucky!

It's not every day that one gets to run with someone half their age, half their weight and twice their ability! I was in Dublin today and was lucky enough to get a few miles in with the Boards legend that is Ecoli.

Did a nice few easy miles around the PP and picked his brain along the way. Really enjoyed it. I could tell he was nervous about his marathon PB attempt on Sunday, so I told him he'd be fine :)

On the way out of the PP he almost mowed down an auld deer (not the handbag carrying variety!)

I hope my sense of direction is better on Sunday as on my way back to Kilmainham I took the wrong turn off and ended up in a Super Value car park near the train station!

Thanks again Ecoli.

AMK, don't call me, I'll call you! :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Talk about a running tart!!!

Fair play, I like your style, he will be back to you in no time.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

On the way out of the PP he almost mowed down an auld deer (not the handbag carrying variety!)
    L

That was the dinner. Venison is whats gonna get me sub 3 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Slut run. Urban dictionary: meaning:
    When a runner hooks up with several runners post-break-up with another runner. Reasons for doing so are to make your running-ex jealous, low self-esteem, or to heal your wounds.
    TbL, you're a running slut:P AMK is better off without you:D

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Slut run. Urban dictionary: meaning:
    When a runner hooks up with several runners post-break-up with another runner. Reasons for doing so are to make your running-ex jealous, low self-esteem, or to heal your wounds.
    TbL, you're a running slut:P AMK is better off without you:D

The running promiscuity continues tomorrow ...

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

All I'm going to say is that I haven't been physically able to run since I met the running slut last week. Just a word of caution to everyone :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Tom Joad wrote: »
    All I'm going to say is that I haven't been physically able to run since I met the running slut last week. Just a word of caution to everyone :P

Bit early in the morning for that kinda talk :pac:

Tom Joad wrote: »

Jaysus TJ, I didn't think running 8 min mile pace would have left you that shattered :)

TbL

Who is on the menu tomorrow, do tell!

• Advertisement

Am I bovered........see this face.......bovered....

tbls log entry following our run:
    Saturday: gotta say I really, really enjoyed the run today.

Met the young lad AMK and headed off at a reasonable enough pace. The miles flew by and was really enjoying it and got a free tour of the PP.

Either AMK is very well know and popular or he's waving at a lot of strangers :)

In all seriousness thanks AMK probably one of the most enjoyable LR's I've had in ages.

TbL

And then with Ecoli (who's only marginally faster than me over a Marathon and quite slower over a beer mile.................

Did a nice few easy miles around the PP and picked his brain along the way. Really enjoyed it.

AMK, don't call me, I'll call you! :)

TbL

Meh...........his loss

:)
    I'm secretly devastated :p

We still have a date on Sunday, right Tbl? You're not leaving me for that pimply faced youngster are you? Sure, he's not even legal!

Of course Q, I'm still hot to trot on Sunday, in fact I'm partial to a bit of rough & ready and according to Ecoli you fit that bill perfectly :)

I couldn't make out if he was legal or not and there were no pimples evident as his face was covered in some downy fluff, I think he's either got a fungal infection or he was looking under his bed for a book and some of the carpet hairs stuck to his face :)

Bring on Sunday!!!!

Today: had agreed an online date with Yaboya of Seville marathon fame.

The last time I saw P, (and Ger) they were happily slurping off pints of cider sitting outside O Neills in the sun after fantastic marathons. I on the other hand was on my second round of extremely bitter lemon and was so pissed off I couldn't wait to get out of dodge and hardly could speak to the lads.

It was time to kiss and make up!

We meet up earlier this morning at the gates of PP and did a couple of easy miles in glorious sunshine.

Fair play to Yaboya for sticking to that HR running program, I couldn't stick it as it would melt my head. He's got some serious PBs coming up over the next few weeks and is on course for a sub 3 in Berlin.

Thanks P, enjoyed that and I'm sure you'll answer my calls the next time I'm in the big smoke! Have you changed your number AMK :)

Thanks lads, it's great to run with company

I might even consider a threesome the next time I'm up :)

TbL

Am I bovered........see this face.......bovered....

tbls log entry following our run:

And then with Ecoli (who's only marginally faster than me over a Marathon and quite slower over a beer mile.................

Meh...........his loss

:)
    I'm secretly devastated :p

Look you are better off with out him. As they said in The Play Boy Of the Western World, a man like that is no better than a tinkers ass, he will eat a bit in every field but never have anything of his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

He's become such a popular date I think it's inevitable he'll start charging soon. I thought I'd get in while it's still free :-P

Getting testy, cranky and a bit irrational now.

I couldn't find my trusty Garmin 305 this morning after an hour of searching high and low, so ended up in Elverys at lunch time trying to panic buy a Garmin. Don't know much about them and I just normally use the basic functions, they didn't have a great selection, was going to buy a reasonably priced 110, but the screen seemed very small. Sales person convinced me to pony up for a 910, it seems very good but I definitely overpaid for my requirements.

Anyway did 3.8 easy miles today with 7 or 8 strides. The strides were a good idea (tnx Q) as they loosened up the legs and lungs nicely. I did hardly any strides during this training cycle but I think I'll try and incorporate more of them in the next cycle.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Getting testy, cranky and a bit irrational now.

That cause you didn't get to whore yourself around today TbL???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good luck on Sunday. Do the necessary for 20 and then kick on to finish the job. Keep the Faith and most importantly....enjoy!!

Thanks FBOT, feeling fairly cool about it now, and hoping to at least PB, disappointed if I don't.

TbL

Thanks FBOT, feeling fairly cool about it now, and hoping to at least PB, disappointed if I don't.

TbL

You will of course sure why wouldn't you! Best of luck, fingers and toes crossed for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement