Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

So the lemon needs to keep away from the passion fruit and ensure his banana doesn't ripen beside the juicy pears.

Ah Jaysus, I'm after spilling my morning cup of coffee here at work reading this filth...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I was intending it as one long run. Here is the jist of it:
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/367964937
    You could lengthen it by retracing your steps from Bondi and back via Coogee and Centennial Park again but whatever you think.
    This is based on memories from being there 11 years ago but it was before my running days so not sure what it would be like as a run on the streets but as long as you don't get lost it should be good.
    I even found a nice 100m climb for you too! ;-) (although I don't remember that hill being really as bad as that!)

If you wanted a LSR in a more rural setting I think you'd need to travel 40-60mins just to get out of the urban area so may not be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Planned LR today. Am going to use Stazzas approach for the next few weeks.

The body clock is all over the place and was up at 4.30, got a quick bit to eat in the room and headed off.

The plan was to do at least 20 with 10 at MP +10/15 seconds.

When I got outside at around 5.30 there was rain water on the ground and I hoped it would rain some more as even at that early time I found it very warm.

Headed off towards Centennial Park and then tried to find my way towards Bondi Beach. (It was a bit of a struggle, my sense of direction is poor, I needed written directions from AMK to find the papal cross in PP!) After a couple of double backs (including one savage hill) and requests for directions I found myself approaching the beach. At this stage I was leaking sweat from every pore in my body and was completely drenched. I started to up the pace to try and get the +MP miles in, I was starting to struggle already so I decided to just run up and down the Bondi prom to get the miles in. I stopped at one end every time for a drink of water from the public fountain as I was focked at this stage.

I was starting to get a bad headache so pulled the plug after just over 15.5 miles. Not even the sight of some seriously fit native burds, running ahead could persuade me to do another few miles:)

I think it was only between 20-22• degrees during the entire run, but it seemed to seriously be sapping my energy. I'm here for another week so either I better acclimatise quick or the weather would want to get a whole lot worse.

Had a few bucks in my shorts so bought a cheap towel and tee shirt and took a swim in the Bondi waves (that weren't that impressive today, I've seen far bigger waves in Galway a few weeks ago!) Got the 333 bus back to the hotel and had a proper breakfast. Still have a lingering headache so need to get more fluids in.

MP splits; 7.19, 7.18, 7.29, 7.31, & 7.39

Total session time 2.05:19

TbL

Just don't go mistaking dehydration for heat exhaustion! Also if it feels as though as you say then ease back on pace and forget about MP stuff during your lsr. No need to be too brave when conditions are against you! Just ease back and enjoy the 'scenery'!

Ran to Centennial Park and took in a bit of the park. It was 5pm and it was still very warm. Did 56 mins ER.

Never thought I'd be harking for the wet & wild Connemara climate :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Did another ER today, 65 mins this time.

Again headed out to Centennial Park but this time took in the full loop, it was a bit easier today coz the loop was shaded by trees in lots of areas.

Sweated heavily again today but at least the shoes weren't squelshing like sodded sponges after todays run.

TbL

Decided to use the hotel gym this morning.

Wasn't looking forward to it at all as I'd usually never do much more than an hour on the dreadmill.

Picked the dreadmill that was furthest away from the next nearest user.

It was warm in the gym, and I started sweating from the get go, after 20 mins a small little tributary had formed at the end of the dreadmill, 15 mins later we had added an estuary and at the end we had a full blow waterfall licking of the end of the tread.

I'd say that the treadmill hadn't ever experencied the pounding of a man of my girth and probably would have burst into flames were it not for the volume of sweat cascading onto it :)

Any way I ddi the following;

7 x 2k (MP-15 seconds, 4.20 pace)
    1 x 2k (@ 4.08 pace)

All off 1k recovery @ 5.07 pace.

Happy enough to get the session done, all in 24k plus short wu/cd.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Excellent work, Tbl. Nice to deposit the first session and have enough in the tank to do the last rep faster. Recover well - remember, it's during the recovery process that the adaptations take place.

Stazza wrote: »
    Excellent work, Tbl. Nice to deposit the first session and have enough in the tank to do the last rep faster. Recover well - remember, it's during the recovery process that the adaptations take place.

Thanks Stazza,

don't know how I'm going to manage the LR though, can't see myself even hitting 20 in this heat nevermind 22 but lets see.

TbL

Thanks Stazza,

don't know how I'm going to manage the LR though, can't see myself even hitting 20 in this heat nevermind 22 but lets see.

TbL

Was there any hint of a coastal breeze when you were out at Bondi?
    If so maybe just keep to the coast for the coolest conditions?

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Was there any hint of a coastal breeze when you were out at Bondi?
    If so maybe just keep to the coast for the coolest conditions?

Hey Belcarra,

can't honestly remember, I'm just back from Darling harbour and there is a good stiff breeze, hoping that lasts till Saturday. Temps for Sat are 21-28 degrees so I'm gonna head out again very early in the morning. I'll head to Bondi again and try and get in as many miles as I can from there.

TbL

Did 46 mins very easy run.

Took in the Botanic Gardens at lunch time for this one, nice views throughout, natural, architectural and female:)

Legs felt a bit dead after the dreadmill session yesterday.

TbL

Another ER run today, out to and a loop of Centennial Park.

It was overcast with a decent breeze so it made it a bit easier to get around.

All in, 59 mins nice and easy.

Hoping to get some class of a LR in tomorrow morning early.

TbL

After last weekends fail I wasn't looking forward to the planned LR today and the day got off to a crap start.

Had the alarm set for 5am but killed it and went back to sleep till 10am!

Decided to do the run late evening when the temp was due to fall, but got a call just before lunch that has me been freight forwarded outta here tonight. Got into the gear in a seriously foul mood and headed out at about 2pm (mad dogs and Englishmen and all that). I copped a bit of luck weather wise, in that in started to cloud over and the sun was only coming out periodically. I had planned on running out to Coogee via Bondi and Centennial Park. There was a lot of traffic on the roads and it seemed to me to add to the heat in the air, so when I got to Centennial Park, I decided to change the planned route. I decided to do laps of the park instead and what I lost from a sceanery perspective I made up for with a traffic free loop, on a good running surface, mainly in the shade with drinking fountains dotted around the loop.

Happy enough with the decision and there was a bit of a breeze that helped as well. The park was very busy with families out and about, horse riders, roller bladers, a gang of lads playing cricket (I love almost every sport but cricket, give me a break!), there was even a team out hurling training.

There is a small incline in the loop and that section was exposed to the sun and it caused me problems every loop.

Ended up doing 8 loops and was starting to struggle a little on the last one, I think mentally I was psyched up to do 20 and once I got there the head starting drifting and telling me I was baked!

Didn't look at the watch much as I was concentrating on the laps so was a little surprised to see I'd done 20.5 miles @ 7.54 average.

Got a pint of milk and a banana, and I got some strange looks with my fat red face slurping a pint of milk and slobbing a banana into me :)

Walked the 2 miles back to the hotel and just as I was getting back it started raining, big fat rain drops. Fecking typical I'm been shipped out and the weather is turning Irish, they are celebrating St Paddys day here tomorrow so if it keeps raining at least it'll bring some authenticity to the event :)

Splits below:

1. 7.57
    2. 8.14
    3. 8.11
    4. 8.17
    5. 8.13
    6. 8.06
    7. 8.09
    8. 7.51
    9. 8.04
    10. 7.46
    11. 7.57
    12. 7.51
    13. 7.44
    14. 7.46
    15. 7.32
    16. 7.44
    17. 7.21
    18. 7.52
    19. 7.35
    20. 7.31
    .5. 4.12

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Some great running in the last few weeks TBL. Great long run right there.

so all we'll have now are the 'bog' standard stories of running around Connemera? Hhhrrrmmppp.

Some great running in the last few weeks TBL. Great long run right there.

so all we'll have now are the 'bog' standard stories of running around Connemera? Hhhrrrmmppp.

Ba Boom! Tnx AMK, although tales from the Bog side will have to wait.

I'm been shipped to Singapore, and it even hotter and more humid than here!

The last time I was there I found it hard to even run outside for more than 20 mins.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

The last time I was there I found it hard to even run outside for more than 20 mins.

TbL

Sounds like Limerick is going to be a bit of a culture shock for you! :D

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Sounds like Limerick is going to be a bit of a culture shock for you! :D

Ha ha, and I doubt everyone will be calling me "mate" down in those parts :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

TbL

You lead a very interesting life of late! International man lemon of mystery:D

Ososlo wrote: »
    You lead a very interesting life of late! International man lemon of mystery:D

Agent 00Lemon :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I love Singapore - been there about 10-12 times over the years. Lovely city.

I've yet to run outside though - all my runs have been on the dreadmill there.
    I'd say you'd get funny looks running up Orchard or down Clarke Quay at mid day.

Arrived in Singapore last night, it's about 5 years since I was here last and I'd forgotten how hot and sticky it actually is. When I got out of the taxi at the hotel I was hit by a wall of heat that seriously fogged up the specs.

This morning I had a short walk to my meeting, but once I arrived I was literally sweating through my suit. I had vague notions of doing a run outside today but the walk this morning put me completely off the idea.

Lunch was an experience and a half, I went to an indoor market type of place that had many different small food stalls. The food was great and really really cheap, if I was here full time I'd probably never eat at home. A plate of noodles with a couple of prawns and other "seafood" was about €1.70. Sampled a couple of other rice dishes and washed it all down with a glass of sugar cane juice (very sweet, even for my uncultured sweet palate). Had a dessert of "chin chow" that is basically a black herbal jelly with jellified coconut cubes and crushed ice. I really didn't fancy this but as I was in company I had to suck it up (literally!), felt a bit like Freddie Starr eating rhino testicles on that stupid jungle show :)

Did 35 mins easy on the treadmill after work, and treated myself to a massage afterwards. Was a bit weird in that the masseuse wore a face mask (covering her mouth and nose during the session) I know I perspire a lot but this was ridiculous! I spent most of the time glancing around in case Zed from Pulp Fiction made an appearance from a side door :)

Going to try and do a few tempo k's on the treadmill tomorrow and a 15 miler with 2 x 15 mins at MP -20 towards the end of the week.

TbL

Pissing rain here today, if the rain doesn't soak you the sweat will.

Hit the threadmill with thoughts of doing a bit of a tempo session. Decided to try and do 4/5 x 1k at 16kph pace (3.45 I think), off 2 min recovery between reps.

Don't need much of a warm up here so got stuck into it pretty much straight away. Found the pace and heat a little uncomfortable at first so tried to distract the mind. Started thinking (don't know why) about a program that was on RTE when I was a young lad, Superstars I think it was called (some of the auld lads on here might remember it) and it involved various sports people undertaking different challenges to see who would be crowned the Superstar. Anyway what I remembered about this was that Pat Spillane and some canoeist used to have colossal battles at the chin ups, so I decided if I got through tonight's session I'd start giving chin ups a go.

Ok back on track, I hate the threadmill, especially at tempo speeds as I usually get the sensation that I'm only a fraction away from falling off. Did 4x1k at 16kph off 2 mins and did the last 1k at 16.7 kph. Was hanging on for dear life at the end of this one and wouldn't have been able to go any further.

Happy enough, and finished up with a full two & half chin ups, I'll need to call Duanington to get some mentoring:)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

...............Started thinking (don't know why) about a program that was on RTE when I was a young lad, Superstars I think it was called (some of the auld lads on here might remember it) and it involved various sports people undertaking different challenges to see who would be crowned the Superstar. Anyway what I remembered about this was that Pat Spillane and some canoeist used to have colossal battles (Declan Burns) at the chin ups, so I decided if I got through tonight's session I'd start giving chin ups a go..................

TbL

Not admitting to remembering this but asked my Dad for you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

Pissing rain here today, if the rain doesn't soak you the sweat will.

Happy enough, and finished up with a full two & half chin ups, I'll need to call Duanington to get some mentoring:)

TbL

:):):)
    2.5 becomes 3 - which then becomes 4.....before you know it you'll be doing chin ups in cigar-smoke-filled rooms!

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Not admitting to remembering this but asked my Dad for you;)

Thx FBOT01,

Was wrecking my head trying to think of his name.

Tell your Dad, thanks and say hi to your Ma for me :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Superstars I think it was called (some of the auld lads on here might remember it)

Guilty.;)

The far away fields are greener, wetter and a whole lot windier.

Arrive home earlier and checked into a hotel. Got a full Irish and an hours kip and decided to head out for a session. Luckily I had a smelly old base layer in the car as it was cold.

Today's plan was to do 15 miles with 2 x 15 mins at MP -20 seconds (MP is 7.15, hopefully)

I'm staying in Stephens Green so decided to head out and back along the canal. Found the wind hard to deal with on the way out and the first 15 mins tempo was a bit disheartening and I could only manage MP -16 for the first rep. It was only when I turned around that I realised the effect of the wind as I really started to pick up the pace and managed the next 15 min rep in MP -40 seconds.

I was feeling strong now and kept the pace at a good clip finishing the last 4 miles in 7.16, 7.06, 7.05 and 6.58.

Finished the 15 miles in 7.15 average, by complete coincidence that's my PMP.

Felt strong at the end, and delighted with that session, first confidence boosting session I've had in a while.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done TbL - fair play to you for keeping up some kind of routine with all the travelling.

• Advertisement

Duanington wrote: »
    Well done TbL - fair play to you for keeping up some kind of routine with all the travelling.

Thanks D,

nice to be able to run in a tempreture that didn't leave me with a big red face, like Mr Angry, at the finish!

No chin up bar in the hotel so my record still stands at 2.5 :)

TbL

Advertisement