Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Tnx AMK,

But shouldn't you be in bed with your sub 3 blow up doll :)

All the best for tomorrow, I'll be following you on the tracking link.

TbL

Don't you have a fheis to go to;);) Ha the real reason for the change of plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Don't change the nature of the log, it's one of the best on here.
    The travel, the shennanagins and the wit.
    Top thread on here.

+ 1. I really hope my earlier post wasn't taken out of context

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Don't you have a fheis to go to;);) Ha the real reason for the change of plan.

Nothing clandistine, I'm in Leisureland, Salthill from mid morning with eldest daughter and the youngest lad, missus has decide to take the middle lad in for 9 (happy days!)

Was gonna suggest I do my recovery run along the prom in the morning but don't want to push my luck!

Have ye no smart phones in Mayo :)

TbL

Gavlor wrote: »
    + 1. I really hope my earlier post wasn't taken out of context

Not at all Gavlor, sure you're one of the wittiest loggers/posters on here and I appreciate everyone that expends their time to read this stuff and proffer advise.

I read back through some of my log today and it does seem a bit fantastical, so if I thought that, then it's only reasonable to assume that others might think I'm either Walter Mitty or some sort of troll, so just thought I'd address it.

I genuinely wouldn't waste my time (and other peoples time) writing stuff that I didn't do.

I'm just an ordinary auld lad, (with a job that has me all over the place) with my share of foibles, that knows very little about running, that really enjoys the support/banter/advice and craic on here.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

TBH, I was thinking it was a bit of stretch to believe you had a chin up bar in your HOUSE. I mean...come......on.

Just to let you know, I managed 4 today:rolleyes:....while you were out jogging:P

Nothing clandistine, I'm in Leisureland, Salthill from mid morning with eldest daughter and the youngest lad, missus has decide to take the middle lad in for 9 (happy days!)

Was gonna suggest I do my recovery run along the prom in the morning but don't want to push my luck!

Have ye no smart phones in Mayo :)

TbL

We are lucky to have electricity half the time! It would be temping alright to get a run in along the prom but keep the head down Id say!

Cleanman wrote: »
    TBH, I was thinking it was a bit of stretch to believe you had a chin up bar in your HOUSE. I mean...come......on.

Just to let you know, I managed 4 today:rolleyes:....while you were out jogging:P

Damn ya Cleanman, you've got the jump on me, I've only used it twice since I put it up. I need more practice to take you out!

It's detachable, do you think Austin Powers would get it through airport security in my hand luggage so I could put it up in my hotel rooms

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Damn ya Cleanman, you've got the jump on me, I've only used it twice since I put it up. I need more practice to take you out!

It's detachable, do you think Austin Powers would get it through airport security in my hand luggage so I could put it up in my hotel rooms

TbL

I'm sure you could but how would I know? I go to the airport about twice a year and my hand luggage is usually full of my gf's sh!te. I reckon a bit of practice tomorrow would be more beneficial than another run.....

Yesterday, did nothing, didn't even have to go to the Fheis in the end (it was on in Salthill hotel, not Leisureland), just had to mind the young fella and he's no bother.

I'm in London today near Westminster, got back to the hotel late enough (the traffic is mad here), had a quick bite to eat (taking cognisance of my new diet and attempt to shed a badly needed few pounds before Limerick) before heading out for an easy 30 mins around Westminster and the river bank. The route along the river is spectacular especially when it's starting to get dark and the landmark buildings are lighting up. London really is a cool city. It was pretty windy in stretches though.

I'm outta here tomorrow afternoon so I should be able to get a decent weeks training in.

Ps. AMK I left those packages, strategically placed as requested, out for Gavlor, what's a Bouncing Betty anyway? :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

What's going to be the target in Limerick TbL?

p.s. I love London too. Can't wait to eventually run the marathon there (whenever that is!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Cheers. That's 1 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

ah sure unless i use rollerskates then I'm already down ;)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    What's going to be the target in Limerick TbL?

p.s. I love London too. Can't wait to eventually run the marathon there (whenever that is!)

Hey Yaboya,

I'd like to think I could do 3.10 but after Seville I'm more cautious and genuinely don't know yet what I'll go for.

I definitely want to break my Pb (3.15), but don't want to melt like I did in Seville. Saturdays run gave me a badly needed bit of confidence and I'm hoping for 2 more good weeks training.

You must have serious patience to be training with that HR monitor, it would drive me nuts, but you seem to have it down to a fine art now, and are running really well.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

Congrats on the win last Sat TbL...Great running!

Was sitting in my hotel room last night going through Boards and found a post by Muicilin Muc asking for info on a 5k in Claregalway tonight.

Did a bit of research and found out it was been run over the Galway 5k series, Claregalway route and was been organised by Clare River Harriers. It was only a tenner to enter and I thought it would make a good tempo session. It was also on the way home from Shannon and didn't start till 7. Decided to enter it and if I missed it sure it was only a tenner (that was going to a good cause anyway)

For once everything went my way with work meetings and flights and I made it in good time to collect my race number.

I haven't done a 5k (or anything short for that matter) in years so was a little apprehensive. Did a very short warm up as it was quite windy and a little chilly, sat back in the car and listened to a bit of music and then walked up to the start. Had no idea what the course was like but we were off and immediately going uphill, after about .4 mile I was doing 6.46 pace, tried to pick it up a bit and was assisted by the following downhill.

Found the course hard enough with the inclines and wind but really really enjoyed the buzz. This is real racing, and despite tired legs I can see the attraction here, rock up, stick the number on your chest and go balls out for circa 20 mins chasing lads down. No carb loading, chafing creams, gels, nipple plasters required :)

Enjoyed it do much that I'm gonna make it a sub target to hit sub 19 before end of the summer.

Was well organised and seemed to be a decent spread laid out in the hall, but I didn't hang around.

Stopped the watch at 19.29, but didn't see the timer in time so not sure what the official time will be.

Splits:

1. 6.19
    2. 6.08
    3. 6.11
    .15. 51 secs

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

If you're anywhere near me in limerick I'm gonna be shouting at you . Nice run today- 5k is real racing IMO - love the distance, no BS just show up and go hard or go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

You're some man to fit in the running around the travelling TBL, I don't know how you manage it. Keep the photos coming too! Not to dispel the Walter Mitty rumours, just to satisfy my inner nosey bollocks. :)

Yesterday, did nothing apart from chasing the kids around the garden for 30 mins.

Today: plan was to do 5 x 4k at MP -15 off 1k at MP +60 seconds.

Translated this to miles so I could manage the Garmin, so 2.5 mile reps at 17m30s per rep.

For some reason I seem to struggle with this type of session, went out early today on a local hilly route and was surprised by how windy it was.

Half way through the second rep I knew I was struggling so I decided to only do 4 reps. Splits below,

1. 17.28
    2. 18.03
    3. 17.14
    4. 18.10

Official results are up for Tuesday nights 5k, it was won in just under 18 mins so obviously not many speedys turned up for this. Official time and a 5k PB, of 19.30.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

I think Kipsang would struggle with a marathon on Saturday, a 5k race on Tuesday, and then a cheeky little session of 5x4k on Thursday.

What are you planning for tomorrow - a 30 mile recovery run, in Fiji? :D

• Advertisement

Stazza wrote: »
    I think Kipsang would struggle with a marathon on Saturday, a 5k race on Tuesday, and then a cheeky little session of 5x4k on Thursday.

What are you planning for tomorrow - a 30 mile recovery run, in Fiji? :D

I liked the buzz from the 5k, been looking around for another one to improve the PB, none down your direction tomorrow? :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

I liked the buzz from the 5k, been looking around for another one to improve the PB, none down your direction tomorrow? :)

TbL

If I were you, I'd wait until May before coming down to The Kingdom to race: rumour has it that there's some new guy about to smash it up:pac::pac::pac:

Didn't run Fri or Sat, decided to take an extra few days rest as I'm more tired than usual, new diet is a pain in the arse.

Today: Mammy TbL had the whole clan over for dinner.

The diet got shot to **** and wobbled sideways out the front door to do a 20 milers with a belly full of roast stuffed pork steak with all the trimmings!

After a mile or two I couldn't believe how good I was feeling and was bashing out the miles nicely, lots of 7.30-7.35's.

Around mile 15 it was if my body flicked a switch and I went from feeling great to total crap almost instantly. Last 5 miles were a total slog and at the finish, I felt worse than l did last weekend after the marathon.

20 miles @ 7.46 pace.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TBL I was just trying to post my last post on my log but the mods closed it too quick: Here it goes buddy watch the class: Talk about a guy who doesn't want to take a beating like that again ;)

Monday: another rest day, got a rub and travelled to London. Here till Thursday night. Not staying in the city centre this time, am near Gatwick, in Redhill/Reigate. Redhill is a bit of a kip compared to Westminster, an analogous architectural dichotomy would be Warsaw & Rome!

Today: got to the hotel in the dark last night, it's not in Redhill but is on the outskirts. Pleasantly surprised by the hotel as it's a converted old mansion that was built between 1849-1854, and is set within extensive grounds. During World War Two the mansion was commandeered and Canadian soldiers stationed here.

Finished work early for a change and got out in the lovely evening sunshine. Decided to do 10 miles and just headed off. The run brought me along English hedgerows on one side filled with a multitude of birds in full voice been drowned out by cars speeding by on a busy secondary road on the other.

Passed through some lovely villages, Nutfield, Bletchingly & Godstone, with quintessentially, if unoriginally named, pubs, The Red Lion, The Plough, and the Hound and Hares, not a Murphy's or O Briens in sight. These English village pubs seem to be surviving much better than their Irish counterpart as even though it was early in the evening they seemed to be busy. This part of England seems to have a lot going for it and seemed to be well served by public amenities like playgrounds, parks and pitches, it's a far cry from the negative memories I have of England in the 80's.

Anyway 10 miles all in, in an leisurely and enjoyable 8.11 pace

TbL

menoscemo wrote: »
    TBL I was just trying to post my last post on my log but the mods closed it too quick: Here it goes buddy watch the class: Talk about a guy who doesn't want to take a beating like that again ;)

Tnx Meno,

I haven't seen that in ages. That ref looks almost as dodgy as that decision.

Like I said I liked Lewis, but as a pro I reckon a fit and focused Bowe beats him.

When you see what has become of Bowe I'd say he suffered from mental health issues.

TbL

• Advertisement

Was told that I needed to be based near Heathrow today so had to leave the hotel I was in and checked into a hotel at Terminal 5. Got out after 6 in the warm evening sunlight. Traffic was chaotic in the rush hour commute. Started off right beside T5 and planes were taking off directly overhead every couple of minutes which was pretty cool. The path surface around T5 is very good and I started heading away from the airport, although still alongside very busy roads, and the air was thick with exhaust fumes.

Luckily, and by complete chance I came across a park (Bedfont Park I think) that had a compacted gravel trail surface, it was about a 2.5 miles loop and was full of cyclists and runners. It was very scenic with a number of small lakes/ponds within the parkland. Really enjoyed this unexpected break from the traffic and picked up the pace before heading back to the hotel.

Needed the run today as the diet took a bit of a hammering as there was a big box of Celebration chocs in the office and I celebrated to excess with a resulting sugar hangover!

Did 10.2 miles at 7.38 pace.

I'd really recommend that park if anyone is staying near T5 and looking for a nice place to run.

TbL

While I think the photos are overkill (I think we all know you do really have the Austin powers lifestyle), I do like them and am looking fwd to more of them from the far flung places you travel to.

Speaking of exotic, Must get one of us 2 in the Kyber...........ahem.....

While I think the photos are overkill (I think we all know you do really have the Austin powers lifestyle), I do like them and am looking fwd to more of them from the far flung places you travel to.

Speaking of exotic, Must get one of us 2 in the Kyber...........ahem.....

I was starting to feel neglected AMK, you aren't answering my calls anymore and over on your side I see you're inviting out Cianc :)

TbL

Well, Cian is in the country more than you are.........

And he may be just an ickle bit cuter......

• Advertisement

And he may be just an ickle bit cuter......

FFS have you been on the sauce since Manchester :)

And in my defence I wasn't looking my best the day we ran!

TbL

Yesterday: enforced rest day, got back to late torun.

Today: no narrative no photos just 5 slow miles.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

FFS have you been on the sauce since Manchester :)

And in my defence I wasn't looking my best the day we ran!

TbL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=386GACcAmJc

The plan for today was to do a ten miler with a few tempo miles or the Colemanstown 10k race, subject to planning permission from Mrs Sweet Lemon! I was in the good books as I had cleaned the BBQ last night and got unconditional approval for the 10k.

Colemanstown is about 6 miles outside Monivea in County Galway. Got there with about an hour to spare and registered. Paid the 20 yoyos and got my chip timed number and a head torch! (Unusual but handy)

The whole thing seemed to be really well organised and about 15 mins before the off we started making our way to the start which was about 1k away.

Absolutely beautiful day with clear sun and only a mild breeze, and the plan was to break my 40.30 PB and maybe try for a sub 40.

Starter set us on our way and as usual I started huffing and puffing my way throught the first mile. Settled a bit after the first k (wasn't passed after that for the rest of the race).

Got to the 5k mark around 20 mins and was a little pissed off as I thought the sub 40 was gone. In the past I might have let the head drop and fall off the pace. Decided to try a different approach and just race the last 5k so started to target runners ahead and try and reel them in. This seemed to work and gave me a lift. Passed a runner from the Maree Running Club at around the 9.5 mark and tried to push on, he started to come back at me and the last 50m was a flat out sprint to hold him off on the line. Collapsed onto the nearest wall and had a few phantom pukes, recovered quickly and was delighted when I looked at the watch, 39.32, just shy of a minute PB for 10k.

Great spread of cakes soups, teas and sambos for the runners. Great event really well organised, congrats to everyone involved.

Off to buy a cow, wipe it's arse, cut off the horns and fire up the Barbie :)

Got back to the car still buzzin, turned on the radio, Lily Allen playing, "sun is in the sky so why o why would I wanna be anywhere else"

Nuff said!

TbL

Splits;

1. 6.23
    2. 6.27
    3. 6.24
    4. 6.21
    5. 6.17
    6. 6.14
    .2 1.27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good stuff TbL.
    Looking good for Limerick.

Great race, good man! Enjoy the grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Off to buy a cow, wipe it's arse, cut off the horns and fire up the Barbie :)
    This might be of interest to you - less work involved :D

Congrats on a great race

super stuff - great 2nd 5k. Real racing tight there.

super stuff - great 2nd 5k. Real racing tight there.

Thanks AMK,

Yea I was really happy with it, and legs feel good.

Was thinking of of doing a nice easy run later but I'm so full to the gutters with burnt beef that it's the couch for the rest of the evening for me :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great running TbL, super going on the 2nd 5k to get the sub40.

• Advertisement

Official results up, came 13th in 39.27, was won in 34.45, I'm off to get another slice of apple tart and cream :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nice one TBL - that's a smashing last couple of miles you ran, well done!

#racingmachine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Official results up, came 13th in 39.27, was won in 34.45, I'm off to get another slice of apple tart and cream :)

TbL

Great run tbl! Nothing better than post race dessert/ pints !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

As you can see I've located your log. And a very fine read it is.

Well done on the 10 k pb yesterday. There's nothing like a pb 2 weeks out to give you confidence for a marathon.

I ran 39:42 in Kilmovee yesterday. A few (12) seconds short of a pb but happy enough. On the up side I beat Luke Ming Flanagan by 6 minutes.

Hope to meet you in the 3:15 group at the start of Limerick. When you say your goodbyes to the group I might be tempted to follow. My spring mileage is low, however, so a more conservative strategy may be in order.

snailsong wrote: »
    As you can see I've located your log. And a very fine read it is.

Well done on the 10 k pb yesterday. There's nothing like a pb 2 weeks out to give you confidence for a marathon.

I ran 39:42 in Kilmovee yesterday. A few (12) seconds short of a pb but happy enough. On the up side I beat Luke Ming Flanagan by 6 minutes.

Hope to meet you in the 3:15 group at the start of Limerick. When you say your goodbyes to the group I might be tempted to follow. My spring mileage is low, however, so a more conservative strategy may be in order.

Hey SS,

Tnx, you ran pretty well yourself yesterday, I saw your post on Mayo Johns log.

I'll probably run the first mile or two with DocQ in Limerick and take it from there, it would be great to have some company, although at race pace I wouldn't be much of a talker more a grunter! I've had some decent runs (for an auld lad) recently but they were badly needed as my confidence took a hammering after Seville. Looked for your log last night but couldn't find it, can you post a link?

Ming the Mong was in UCG same time as me, was he drug tested for 420 yesterday :)

I'll see you at the start in Limerick.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Hey SS,

Tnx, you ran pretty well yourself yesterday, I saw your post on Mayo Johns log.

I'll probably run the first mile or two with DocQ in Limerick and take it from there, it would be great to have some company, although at race pace I wouldn't be much of a talker more a grunter! I've had some decent runs (for an auld lad) recently but they were badly needed as my confidence took a hammering after Seville. Looked for your log last night but couldn't find it, can you post a link?

Ming the Mong was in UCG same time as me, was he drug tested for 420 yesterday :)

I'll see you at the start in Limerick.

TbL

I don't think I'd be ready to leave the group that early.

I met Ming coming out of the portaloo yesterday. I had visions of torn up skins and Rizzla packet on top of the cistern, don't know why.

I don't have a log. Too lazy I suppose. I just squat on others logs when I want to brag a bit.

See you in Limerick.

What a glorious day.

Had breakfast al fresco listening to Bob Marley.

Did a slow 7.2 miles in a singlet and shades with the brother in law. First time this year I've run with the singlet & shades. Down to the mother in laws for a trough (she doesn't do mere plates!) of turkey & ham afterwards.

Off for the week with the clan, so hoping I can squeeze some runs in.

"Sun is shinin, weather is sweet, make you wanna move your dancing feet"

TbL

Today Am: was heading off in the car for a few hours so did 4 easy miles to stretch out the legs.

Pm: the Bogger clan has hit the big smoke for a day or two before retreating towards the wilds of Cavan for a few days R&R. Got lost looking for Blanchardstown so diverted to the PP for a while, had hurleys and a ball so the kids had a blast. Had to give the little lad a quick nature lesson as he was collecting acorns that on closer inspection turned out to be deer ****e :)

Staying near Blanchardstown so hit the deserted cycle lanes towards Finglas and did another easy 8 miles.

TbL

Nothing like an afternoon out with the family to collect deer ****e, sure what else would the country people travel to Dublin for:rolleyes: Enjoy the Slieve Russell its a grand spot with kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Just catching up with your log - that's a cracking 10k. You are on fire at the minute. Will have to get a few tips from you tomorrow on running the perfect 10k.

Advertisement