Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zodiac; the best film of the past 10 years? If not, what is?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Drive, can't understand the love-in for that pretentious piece of merde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Liamalone wrote: »
    Drive, can't understand the love-in for that pretentious piece of merde.
    Pretentious? I'll never understand why people use that word towards it (or many films for that matter).

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Sure both Children of Men and Gravity are better.

All excellent films but I don't see the comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The Life and Death of Peter Sellers.

I've been considering this question for some time, and I have to lay my cards on the table and say this is the best, the acting, cinematography, script (knowledge and use of subject material), and measured tone and pathos, the flawless editing. It was clearly a labour of love by all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

catallus wrote: »
    The Life and Death of Peter Sellers.

I've been considering this question for some time, and I have to lay my cards on the table and say this is the best, the acting, cinematography, script (knowledge and use of subject material), and measured tone and pathos, the flawless editing. It was clearly a labour of love by all involved.

Wow. Rarely seen this film discussed, but I personally loved it and glad to see someone else who did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Yeah it was lauded a bit on its release, but it seems kinda forgotten now, but it really is a great film about flawed man, it shows him warts and all; I picked it over The Assassination Of Jesse James, it was a close thing, but anyone who knows anything about Sellers' life and films I think would appreciate the achievement of putting his life on film so beautifully. Without over-doing it I'd say it is a monument to him. Those final scenes with him seeming to be frozen in the snow, (or frozen in time, also), with Lithgow looking right at and knowingly through him, and then the touching ending copying Being There, it was just so powerful and seemed so right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

blade1 wrote: »
    Not the best, but for me definitely worth a mention..
    Training Day.

Released in 2001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Alright lads...who's double voting on TDK now? Sneaky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭blade1

blade1 wrote: »
    Not the best, but for me definitely worth a mention..
    Training Day.
    Released in 2001.

Wow!
    Nearly 13 years old.
    Time flies when you're having fun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Being a horror buff I am very difficult to please but "The Conjuring" is truly excellent and I rate it as the best film since The Exorcist, so that means the best film in almost 40 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

youtube! wrote: »
    Being a horror buff I am very difficult to please but "The Conjuring" is truly excellent and I rate it as the best film since The Exorcist, so that means the best film in almost 40 years!

I liked The Conjuring but come on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭brevity

I think Michael Clayton deserves to up there. An excellent movie with some brilliant performances.

The Conjuring had one decent scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I agree, but only in that genre. For me, deffo the best horror since The Exorcist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I'll have to watch the conjuring again , watched it with friends half cut the last time.
    I thought Sinister was the best horror i'd seen lately. It shook me to the bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Sci fi fan, Moon for me, followed by sunshine

krudler wrote: »
    I liked The Conjuring but come on

Hey it's my opinion! As horror is my favourite genre it gets my vote, a truly excellent movie and the only one to properly scare me besides the Exorcist.

Hey it's my opinion! As horror is my favourite genre it gets my vote, a truly excellent movie and the only one to properly scare me besides the Exorcist.

What about all the French, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Scandinavian horror films released between The Exorcist and The Conjuring. Films like The Ring, The Grudge, Rec, The Orphanage, Martyrs, Audition, The Devils Backbone, Let the Right One In etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ThirdMan wrote: »
    His decision-making drives the entire plot and he has quite a large (if not the largest) amount of screen time. The theme of the film is centred around Bell, but for me Moss is the lead character. I know what you're saying though. It's a very good point.

By the way, have you read this? It's a good analysis (although I don't agree with it).

That's a good read, cheers. Wouldn't agree with it all but some interesting strands of analysis. Also, I wasn't trying to be snippy by pointing out that he wasn't the lead character - it's a fact that many who watched the film seemed to miss.

In regards to Moss dying off screen, the majority of deaths in the film happen off screen and, in the end, the film points towards the inevitable death of the lead character at some point after the screen fades to black. I believe that, for some people, irrespective of the manner of his death the fact he is 'killed off' would have annoyed them anyway. There is no happy escape for him into the sunset and any end will be meaningless in this context. He is hunted down by various unsympatethic forces that he can't outrun or outfight. It's an incredibly bleak piece of work that doesn't shy away or compromise in its conclusion. The film serves to say that noone is in control and that isn't going to resonate with many.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'll have to watch the conjuring again , watched it with friends half cut the last time.
    I thought Sinister was the best horror i'd seen lately. It shook me to the bone.

Sinister had it's moments until the final act when it just became farcical, the score and the home movie footage were all brilliantly done though, especially the pool scene, that was chilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Bourne Trilogy
    Music plot and action fantastic.

There will be blood seriously ?
    Id have to put that as the worst film Ive seen in 10 years from that list.

You should be banned from watching films

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Mousewar wrote: »
    I'm struggling to think of a better film than 'A Single Man' in the last ten years.

just finished watching it based on your comment. Excellent movie. Great performance by Colin firth. thanks for that.

Also thanks to everyone on the thread, i've been working my way through movies mentioned on this for a couple of weeks. All really good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Zodiac a good solid film alright.
    No idea what the best film is but the two I enjoyed the most were
    Girl with the dragon tatoo(remake, and prob helped by the fact I havn't seen the Swedish original)
    & Silver linnings playbook.

Odd because I didn't think id like either of these films at all .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Some of my favourites from the last 10 years:
    The Kite Runner
    Into The Wild
    Diving Bell and the Butterfly
    No Country For Old Men
    Milk
    The Wrestler
    Brokeback Mountain
    The Departed
    The Tree of Life
    The Social Network
    Drive
    Moneyball

Best Comedy:
    Napoleon Dynamite
    Clerks II
    Zoolander

Most overrated would be The Dark Knight, Zodiac (only after seeing this thread) and Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Before Midnight, Before I claw my eyes out.

Most overrated Comedy:
    Anchorman
    The Hangover
    Superbad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

No idea what the best film is but the two I enjoyed the most were
    Girl with the dragon tatoo(remake, and prob helped by the fact I havn't seen the Swedish original) .

The Swedish original(s) are better imo, prob helped by the fact that I seen them first :P

I've only seen the first of the Swedish originals but it felt more like a TV movie to me compared to the brilliant atmospheric direction that Fincher brought to it.

• Advertisement

What about all the French, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Scandinavian horror films released between The Exorcist and The Conjuring. Films like The Ring, The Grudge, Rec, The Orphanage, Martyrs, Audition, The Devils Backbone, Let the Right One In etc etc

Cant admit to seeing every horror ever made but from your list I saw The Ring and Grudge, I thought the Ring was excellent ,grudge no so much.

I will check out the others you have posted. When it comes down to it though almost every time I see a new horror I am invariably left disappointed, I can tell what's coming a mile off and they all seem so contrived to me.

I was genuinely surprised by just how incredible of a film the Conjuring was though, as I said earlier it really did chill me to the bone.... and for days afterwards and that just doesn't happen with very many films,sure I enjoy lots of horrors and different types of horrors but this was different, this got in on me,very disturbing.

As for the Exorcist, well its quite simply the greatest movie ever made in any genre for me, and even though I have watched it over 20 times it still scares the living **** outta me every time!

Advertisement