Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zodiac; the best film of the past 10 years? If not, what is?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

youtube! wrote: »
    Cant admit to seeing every horror ever made but from your list I saw The Ring and Grudge, I thought the Ring was excellent ,grudge no so much.

I will check out the others you have posted. When it comes down to it though almost every time I see a new horror I am invariably left disappointed, I can tell what's coming a mile off and they all seem so contrived to me.

I was genuinely surprised by just how incredible of a film the Conjuring was though, as I said earlier it really did chill me to the bone.... and for days afterwards and that just doesn't happen with very many films,sure I enjoy lots of horrors and different types of horrors but this was different, this got in on me,very disturbing.

As for the Exorcist, well its quite simply the greatest movie ever made in any genre for me, and even though I have watched it over 20 times it still scares the living **** outta me every time!

C'mon man you cannot be serious. You make that statement and then say The Conjuring is the best horror film since The Exorcist. The Conjuring is a cut and paste job of every good horror film ever made. I don't believe you're a big horror fan if you don't watch foreign horror films, it's like someone saying you love animation but don't watch any Studio Ghibli films. It's your personal opinion though so I will respect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

it's like someone saying you love animation but don't watch any Studio Ghibli films.
    It's sad that this is often the case tbh.

I can't knock The Conjuring though. It's a rare mainstream horror that uses cinematography, sound design and just overall atmosphere to a great advantage, other than bad acting, obnoxious teens and LOUD NOISES.

I was spooked by it and I'm no slouch when it comes to scary movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Watched The Conjuring last night based on all this chatter. Quite disappointing really. Very formulaic and other than a slight creepiness, nothing particularly scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

C'mon man you cannot be serious. You make that statement and then say The Conjuring is the best horror film since The Exorcist. The Conjuring is a cut and paste job of every good horror film ever made. I don't believe you're a big horror fan if you don't watch foreign horror films. It's your personal opinion though so I will respect that.

It most certainly is not a cut and paste job, the whole atmosphere of the movie from start to finish is one of growing dread, perhaps it was the directing of James Wan that makes the difference but the over all quality of the acting,the screenplay and the cinematography make this movie a triumph. They say it is largely based on fact, I don't know if that's the case but if so then it's a story well told.

As for me not watching any foreign horror movies well I hate subtitles but I did enjoy Ringu,though not as much as the american version (which it was based on,I am aware of that!) Still you cannot tell me that because I don't watch them that I am not a fan of horror, that's like me saying if you haven't driven a Mercedes then you can't be a fan of motoring, certainly my appreciation may not be complete, but that doesn't mean that I don't know what I like !

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

It most certainly is not a cut and paste job, the whole atmosphere of the movie from start to finish is one of growing dread, perhaps it was the directing of James Wan that makes the difference but the over all quality of the acting,the screenplay and the cinematography make this movie a triumph. They say it is largely based on fact, I don't know if that's the case but if so then it's a story well told.

As for me not watching any foreign horror movies well I hate subtitles but I did enjoy Ringu,though not as much as the american version (which it was based on,I am aware of that!) Still you cannot tell me that because I don't watch them that I am not a fan of horror, that's like me saying if you haven't driven a Mercedes then you can't be a fan of motoring, certainly my appreciation may not be complete, but that doesn't mean that I don't know what I like !

You REALLY need to get over that subtitle thing so you can watch the great Italian horror... seriously, that stuff crushes most American horror.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm afraid I can't conjure (Ho Ho!) any sympathy for hating subtitles. It's just crazy unless you have some sort of disability that prevents you from reading them. You cut out a vast majority of the greatest films ever made in one foul swoop for no sensible region.

The Conjuring was a surprisingly well crafted horror film - familiar but energetic. But even as someone who thoroughly enjoyed it, it belongs nowhere near best of the decade accolades.

I'm afraid I can't conjure (Ho Ho!) any sympathy for hating subtitles. It's just crazy unless you have some sort of disability that prevents you from reading them. You cut out a vast majority of the greatest films ever made in one foul swoop for no sensible region.

The Conjuring was a surprisingly well crafted horror film - familiar but energetic. But even as someone who thoroughly enjoyed it, it belongs nowhere near best of the decade accolades.

In my opinion it does! Why can't people except we all have our own opinion!

I hate subtitles
    I've yet to hear any reasonable justification for this but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt: Why hate subtitles? They allow cinema to be international and once you embrace them a whole new world of film opens up to you.

Honestly I can't help but think that when people complain about subtitles they're really saying that they fear watching something that doesn't fit into the mold of movies they've watched to date.

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    You REALLY need to get over that subtitle thing so you can watch the great Italian horror... seriously, that stuff crushes most American horror.

I did enjoy Suspiria by Dario Argento, in fact I loved it, it is old though, I suppose when I actually think about it that maybe I am more of a classic horror fan than a modern horror fan, but yes you are correct, I will have to get over the sub title thing,it is a drawback.

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    I've yet to hear any reasonable justification for this but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt: Why hate subtitles? They allow cinema to be international and once you embrace them a whole new world of film opens up to you.

Honestly I can't help but think that when people complain about subtitles they're really saying that they fear watching something that doesn't fit into the mold of movies they've watched to date.

welll... subtitles ARE a thing... I mean by that, that some people - even people that love foreign films - find them to be a bit of a strain....

I don't understand people that refuse to engage with them either, but they are more work for some people... that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I imagine they just don't want to read during a movie. I watch and love a lot of subtitle films but it's hardly difficult to understand why someone else might be put off by them. It's a leap to suggest that it actually indicates a dislike for unconventional films.

I did enjoy Suspiria by Dario Argento, in fact I loved it, it is old though, I suppose when I actually think about it that maybe I am more of a classic horror fan than a modern horror fan, but yes you are correct, I will have to get over the sub title thing,it is a drawback.

I preferred Drag Me to Hell over the Conjuring for the same reason... very old school and - as a plus to me - a loving homage to Italian horror.

Mousewar wrote: »
    I imagine they just don't want to read during a movie. I watch and love a lot of subtitle films but it's hardly difficult to understand why someone else might be put off by them. It's a leap to suggest that it actually indicates a dislike for unconventional films.
    This is based on the fallacy that every film is packed with dialog though. A line of subtitles takes less than a second to read anyway, within 5 minutes of every movie I just forget they're there.

This is based on the fallacy that every film is packed with dialog though. A line of subtitles takes less than a second to read anyway, within 5 minutes of every movie I just forget they're there.

Sure, but that's you...

My wife, who's a fluent French speaker and has seen dozens and dozens of French movies, will actively reject a French movie at the end of a long day, because she wears glasses and doesn't want to have to - even occasionally - read text on the screen.

On the weekend though, or on a holiday, she'll pester me to watch French movies...

On the other hand I never ever don't want to watch a flcik because of the subs...

Different people have different reactions to them.

Sure I can understand that, I usually watch movies in the cinema anyway which isn't difficult to look at anyway.

I actually think much of the resistance to subtitles came from the VHS days where TV screens were smaller and the resolutions were lower making it hard to read. Especially when they were white on a white blackground. That's not as much of a problem now.

I preferred Drag Me to Hell over the Conjuring for the same reason... very old school and - as a plus to me - a loving homage to Italian horror.

Yep I loved drag me to hell also,very original. Sorry I will shut up now as I have somehow managed to derail the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Re subtitles: when I was watching Blue is the Warmest Colour this week there were a couple of scenes where there is conversation over the shoulder of the in focus characters which you might want to keep an ear to if the film was in English. In one scene in particular, the lead character is talking to someone at a party while distracted and keeping an eye on the conversation behind her. To not be able to listen to it did detract somewhat from my ability to drink the scene in.

That said, it's a me problem. I should be able to speak French (I can't speak English right tbh)! :) It would never put me off going to see a film, but I can understand why it limits an audience. It is harder to get lost in a movie with subtitles, you lose nuances of dialogue. And for older people that much reading might be difficult or unenjoyable.

It definitely makes a difference, to ignore that would be silly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

But subtitles are by far the most elegant solution we have. Short of the invention or discovery of some sort of Babel fish device / creature, it will remain that way too :)

For every moment of immersion breaking subtitle quirks, dubbing would provide ten. Similarly, I think it's just as easy to get immersed in a film with subtitles, it just becomes part of the rhythm near immediately in my experience - only if the subtitles are poor for some reason would I say otherwise.

I'm not saying subtitles are perfect (I personally believe they're not particularly difficult or distracting either), but it seems truly bizarre to me to hate them so much you'd actively avoid foreign films - the films that represent a huge proportion of the world's film output. The negatives of subtitles are outweighed a hundredfold by the benefits: they're pretty much the only way we have access to a majority of, to bring this point full circle, so many of the best films of the decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭brevity

When I used to work in XtraVision, we had to put a sticker on subtitled movies as people were complaining about arriving home with a movie that was subtitled. "If I wanted to read, I'd by a book" they'd say...

It always seemed odd to me as they obviously liked the cover, they read the blurb at the back and it interested them but to just give up because you have to read subtitles seemed a shame.

• Advertisement

Yeah let me be clear, I wasn't saying that people can't possibly have a few issues with subtitles. I was saying that it seems unfair and limiting to flat out refuse to watch foreign films for that reason, and that some people just use the "I don't like subtitles." as an excuse to not try something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

I get why, all other things being equal, someone would prefer to watch a film with no subtitles over one with them. Yeah, they're the least-worst solution but they do still have an impact.

I also have a very bad habit of getting distracted by trying to figure out what certain common words are if it's a language I don't speak at all (that's sustained me through many's the crappy Asian horror actually :P). And my French is nowhere near good enough to follow a film without the subs, but just about good enough to pick up on oddities of translation.

But some people's reading speeds aren't great, and I think it actually probably does take a while to get used to subbed films, to be able to properly look at what's going on on screen and read the lines at the same time without any dip in concentration or comprehension on any point. It doesn't necessarily mean that people are philistines and nincompoops for preferring films in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Weren't most of the Italian horror movies from the 70's and 80's in English? I'm thinking Argento and Fulci. I think the best in American horror from that period is as good if not better than the Italian films anyway.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I only find subtitles distracting if the film is actually in English. A friend I used to live with used to watch every film the subtitles switched on (they weren't hard of hearing btw) just in case they would miss a line of dialogue. I had to put the foot down eventually and made them stop, it was terrible, my eye would constantly be drawn to them. It was worse particularly if it was a comedy as the line would often come up slightly before the actors would speak so it would completely ruin the impact of a gag.

If you're trying to convince someone to watch a subtitled film ,ease them into it with something like The Raid where the dialogue is minimal and pretty much superfluous to the film anyway.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Weren't most of the Italian horror movies from the 70's and 80's in English? I'm thinking Argento and Fulci. I think the best in American horror from that period is as good if not better than the Italian films anyway.

Actually, while the English version of these films are probably the most common, on a lot of these films the actors actually spoke different languages and then the parts were all over-dubbed latter... which was also the case for HK movies, and actually lots of "foreign films".

Sync Sound wasn't available until the 90s in HK and in fact this led to some famous overdub artists.

Of course some Chinese people can speak Cantonse and Mandarian and in the 90s it wasn't that weird to see the actors dubbing their own voices for HK and the mainland.

And that's a bunch of stuff you probably never needed to know ;)

As for quality... well, it depends on taste to a degree.. which the US films were often a lot better made, the actual experience of the film (if your into that) was often more interesting and strange in foreign horror... which added something for some people, like me.

My favourite US horror from the 70s and 80s would include:

Evil Dead, Maniac, Halloween and Phantasm.

Are those better than say: Suspiria, City of the Living Dead, Inferno, The Beyond and Tenebre?

But it gets more complex if you start to add things like David Cronenberg and John Carpenter and even Kubrick... if you add those guys, the US wins... otherwise... I'm not so sure.

One more thing, a recommendation if you like horror: Bio-Zombie.

biozombie.jpg

Def a horror COMEDY, but really excellent and REALLY funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I only find subtitles distracting if the film is actually in English. A friend I used to live with used to watch every film the subtitles switched on (they weren't hard of hearing btw) just in case they would miss a line of dialogue. I had to put the foot down eventually and made them stop, it was terrible, my eye would constantly be drawn to them. It was worse particularly if it was a comedy as the line would often come up slightly before the actors would speak so it would completely ruin the impact of a gag.

If you're trying to convince someone to watch a subtitled film ,ease them into it with something like The Raid where the dialogue is minimal and pretty much superfluous to the film anyway.

I dont miss going to English movies in the Czech Republic. Fecking subtitles distracting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Actually, while the English version of these films are probably the most common, on a lot of these films the actors actually spoke different languages and then the parts were all over-dubbed latter...

I watched The Bird With The Crystal Plumage recently in Italian with English subtitles as I just presumed it would have been filmed with the actors speaking Italian. It was only afterwards that I discovered that the actors spoke their native language and everything was dubbed afterwards. Bizarre way of doing things...

But yeah, those were golden years for Italian horror. I felt some of the films were cheesy and the acting isn't great but the films you mentioned are certainly classics. I re-watched Suspiria and Inferno recently on blu-ray and they certainly look amazing.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I watched The Bird With The Crystal Plumage recently in Italian with English subtitles as I just presumed it would have been filmed with the actors speaking Italian. It was only afterwards that I discovered that the actors spoke their native language and everything was dubbed afterwards. Bizarre way of doing things...

But yeah, those were golden years for Italian horror. I felt some of the films were cheesy and the acting isn't great but the films you mentioned are certainly classics. I re-watched Suspiria and Inferno recently on blu-ray and they certainly look amazing.

It was bizarre! But sync sound was sooooo expensive to do right* and so was rejected across asia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sync_sound

I think that Argento in particular was in a weird position, especially in the mid-80s. His movies were gaining popularity, he was working with known American actors, but ... his entire system for film making was based in Italy.. so... it became what it became.

I also think that like in Asian movies, it would have been pretty common for the Italian actors to dub their English lines as part of the process, if they could... Which of course only adds to the confusion... ;)

*to be clear, the systems weren't THAT expensive as I understand, but controlling environments was almost impossible the way that the Italians and Asians shot (e.g. lots of verite style stuff in public places) and so it wasn't practical to do it on the budgets available...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Evelyn Cusack

syklops wrote: »
    I dont miss going to English movies in the Czech Republic. Fecking subtitles distracting you.

You can speak Czech!? <3<3

Advertisement