Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zodiac; the best film of the past 10 years? If not, what is?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

To jump in on the pro-subtitles for just one film. Is to Rome with Love meant to have subtitles or is it missing because I got it on torrent?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

To jump in on the pro-subtitles for just one film. Is to Rome with Love meant to have subtitles or is it missing because I got it on torrent?

"...good portions of the film are shot in Italian and subtitled..."

www.cinemablend.com/m/dvds/To-Rome-With-Love-Blu-ray-6272.html

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Another reason not to torrent, films with parts in another language often don't have subtitles included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

The White Ribbon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Another reason not to torrent, films with parts in another language often don't have subtitles included.

Ehhhh...it's not a great reason. A much better reason is to support film makers and actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

Shame on me. I owe those Warner executives an apology.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Ehhhh...it's not a great reason. A much better reason is to support film makers and actors.

Hence why I said "another reason" and not "a great reason".

Hence why I said "another reason" and not "a great reason".

Ah are we listing bad reasons then?

Ah are we listing bad reasons then?

I'm not listing anything was just a remark.

• Advertisement

I'm not listing anything was just a remark.

So was mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Take Shelter is my favourite movie over the last 10 years. Michael Shannon with an oscar worthy performance imo. Definitely more people need to watch this.

So was mine.

Jolly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 damke_1

zodiac is a masterpiece no doubt i loved watching the movie. however it is pretty hard to say which is the best i have seen since i liked so many movies in so many different ways, i love scifi and all the special effects of the transformers or avatar. bad boys one and two is a must see if you ask me, and i even watch them a few times during the year, but a movie that i will always remember is BASIC (staring Travolta and Samuel L Jackson) it's the best thriller i have seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

bellinter wrote: »
    I think Die Hard 5 might have a thing or two to say about that

I had a row with my girlfriend the day this was released. I stormed out of the flat. I had nowhere to go but I couldn't go home. I walked into the cinema and picked the next film that was starting. Die Hard 5. I switched my phone back on two hours later. My girlfriend was in hysterics. She'd thought I'd flipped out and jumped into the river.

Why didn't I think of that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I had a row with my girlfriend the day this was released. I stormed out of the flat. I had nowhere to go but I couldn't go home. I walked into the cinema and picked the next film that was starting. Die Hard 5. I switched my phone back on two hours later. My girlfriend was in hysterics. She'd thought I'd flipped out and jumped into the river.

Why didn't I think of that?

Well that escalated qui... nah actually, not worthy enough to be mentioned amongst some of these masterpieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

hefferboi wrote: »
    Take Shelter is my favourite movie over the last 10 years. Michael Shannon with an oscar worthy performance imo. Definitely more people need to watch this.

I watched it the other day, it was ok. Michael Shannon was just doing his usual shtick and brought nothing new to the unlikeable character he played. The ending was a cop out too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Take Shelter is relevant to the weather we're having here in the West lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The White Ribbon.

I've watched this about 5 times and I still can't make head nor tail of it. It is entrancing, but why? Is it the sound??? The creepy silences? I dunno. It is really good but tis no Under Siege.

I watched it the other day, it was ok. Michael Shannon was just doing his usual shtick and brought nothing new to the unlikeable character he played. The ending was a cop out too.

Have to disagree. I never liked Shannon until I watched this. Performance of his career I thought. I didn't see the ending coming, I thought it was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I thought Michael Shannon was excellent in Take Shelter.
    Really enjoyed the movie, but yes, the ending was the weakest part.
    Felt like it didn't need to be there.
    They could have even ended it when
    his wife convinces him to open the shelter

I'd also have Inception up there in the top 3. I didn't realise I'd never watched Zodiac till I read this thread so I'll give that a watch tonight.

Just finished watching it. It's up there with the best tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yes Zodiac restored my faith in Fincher as all his movies after Se7en were a major let down, he seems to do serial killer movies brilliantly!
    But to me Christopher Nolan has been by far the greatest film maker over the last 10 years, His Dark Knight Trilogy, is everything I have ever wanted in a superhero movie, the realism, the minor use of CGI, characters I care for! Also loved the brilliant Inception and The Prestige. So these films by the one film maker defined the last decade for me, If I had to pick one out of those it would be Batman Begins, I still remember seeing this for the 1st time on a near empty screening on a Saturday morning and tears of joy running down my face at what I was witnessing on screen :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Lethal Weapon 5 is the best movie in ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Django unchained !!!!!
    It is amazing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

But to me Christopher Nolan has been by far the greatest film maker over the last 10 years, His Dark Knight Trilogy, is everything I have ever wanted in a superhero movie, the realism, the minor use of CGI, characters I care for! Also loved the brilliant Inception and The Prestige. So these films by the one film maker defined the last decade for me, If I had to pick one out of those it would be Batman Begins, I still remember seeing this for the 1st time on a near empty screening on a Saturday morning and tears of joy running down my face at what I was witnessing on screen :-)

Did someone change the meaning of realism while I was in the toilet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I think he means in the context of a movie about a man who dresses up as a bat to fight crime.
    EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Django unchained !!!!!
    It is amazing

I love it, but disappointing end I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Don't be a smart arse! I meant compared to Marvel universe it's more believable that technology used could exist and man could use it to fight crime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Don't be a smart arse! I meant compared to Marvel universe it's more believable that technology used could exist and man could use it to fight crime!

Thats like saying your unicorns are more believable that my dragons! Both are make believe universes, I don't think the Batman series should be credited as better films are they are more "realistic".

Anyway Nolan loses a lot of credit due to the brain-dead 3rd Dark Knight film and how *unbelievably* stupid the Batman character is.

Advertisement