Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zodiac; the best film of the past 10 years? If not, what is?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

For what it is (a sex comedy aimed at teenagers) it's in a league of its own. I don't think the characters were supposed to be particularly likeable. I mean sure it meanders and the humour isn't particularly sophisticated but I think it's a cracking good comedy. Not worthy of this thread but compare it with its peers and it's a stone cold classic, imo. But to be fair I was bang at the age it was aimed at when it was released, probably a lot of sentimental value attached to it for me.
    This is my problem, I watched it as a teen and all I could think was "glad I don't know anybody like this!". After 20 minutes I just had enough of the characters and the attempts at making you sympathize with them at the end just had me rolling my eyes. Jonah Hill's character is just unpleasant to listen to.

fwiw I still find films like Anchorman and Borat hilarious though. All the people involved have done stuff I liked since too, guess it's just not my kind of teen movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

I went in blind thinking it was about race car driving or something, should've copped the cert in fairness, also hadn't ever seen anything of the director's work before. I left rather queasy but mightily impressed!

Oh, ya see, for me it was different. I had a loose idea of the script so wasn't surprised by the storyline, just a bit disappointed overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

e_e wrote: »
    This is my problem, I watched it as a teen and all I could think was "glad I don't know anybody like this!". After 20 minutes I just had enough of the characters and the attempts at making you sympathize with them at the end just had me rolling my eyes. Jonah Hill's character is just unpleasant to listen to.

Yeah, of the people I know who watched Superbad, there seems to be a split between people who strongly disliked Seth, and those who sympathised with him. I'd fall into the later camp, unsurprisingly. :pac:

But it's not just about that for me. There are so many things I love about this film.

The whole scene with Joe Lo Troglio (the guy who hits Seth with his car) is hilarious to me.

The sense of unease they created at the first party Seth and Evan end up at. How did they do that? It's amazing. As soon they enter the party, there's just a scuzzy, vaguely menacing, low-rent atmosphere even before anyone says a word, even though it just looks like a normal house.

The little touches like when they're getting the city bus and the camera pans up the aisle towards them, watch all the funny-looking characters that are on the bus. :) I love that detail. They needn't have bothered but they did.

The cops. No more needs to be said.

The improvisation. It doesn't always work but it really works in this film.

Seth and his dick treasure chest. The drawings. My gawd. I nearly burst something from laughing. I love that someone went to the bother of drawing all those. And some of them are frickin' hilarious.

Lots more that escapes me right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I prefer Talladega Nights to Anchorman, there I said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Evelyn Cusack

Man About Dog is quare funny too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

The Secrets in their Eyes..............Argentinian, 2009 I think. Dunno if its the best in last 10 years, but up there, well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

However on scale the LOTR movies were on they were all just incredible can re-watch them without effort so The Return of the King would get it for me.

I went to see all 3 in the cinema and wow, still remember that feeling, blown away. But I revisited them recently and I actually think they haven't aged very well, and it pains me to say that :( the special effects in the big battley bits looks very dated, and story/script-wise too a bit off. In fairness I was re-watching them in the middle of season 3 of Game Of Thrones, the fact that I felt compelled to
    mentally cut off the last 15 minutes or so of Return of The King and just leave Sam and Frodo to die on the mountain because I was actually getting annoyed that no proper main character died
    should tell you something about my frame of mind.

A few fantastic set-pieces in there for sure, but just strung together by a load of lads walking and not really being in any danger of dying and staying dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Thanks to all those who voted. In a sub genre on a sub forum I was expecting maybe 50 people to take part, not over 300!

There's quite a few interesting points and suggestions raised in this thread and I'll address them in the coming days. Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Thanks to all those who voted. In a sub genre on a sub forum I was expecting maybe 50 people to take part, not over 300!

There's quite a few interesting points and suggestions raised in this thread and I'll address them in the coming days. Cheers

You're the man for the threads IvaBigWun, most morably the 'stingey' thread! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I wouldn't mind, but threads like this usually get locked because they turn into lists.
    I guess you put so much weight into your selection it encouraged/enraged others to do the same!

I officially stated I think The Prestige is the best movie, while also agreeing with everyone that The Assassination Of Jesse James is, and admitting that No Country For Old Men is in fact, the best movie of the last ten years, while secretly still holding The Dark Knight on a different level!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    The Secrets in their Eyes..............Argentinian, 2009 I think. Dunno if its the best in last 10 years, but up there, well worth a watch

I watched it last night on recommendation from a few people here. Its good. I enjoyed it, was hoping for a different ending though. One of the best films of the last ten years though?...mmmm..not too sure it would make my top twenty. Good film nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

The assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford or The Fountain. Both visually stunning dramas which capture something very subtle and profound about the human condition. The Fountain in particular is a very underrated piece of film-making.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭positron

Voted other. Reason: Zatoichi. It's very different to anything in the list but it's clever, funny at times, crazy manga/cartoony effects at times, quirky music and some very thought provoking comments / moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Lost in Translation

Completely unexpected for me

Watched this on Channel 4, years ago and when it cuts from highway to credits, a little voice whispered "I think you have just seen your new favourite movie ever"

I was 15 at the time and related to the lonliness, or melacholy and joy, humor of it all.
    No film has left me with such a strange lasting sense in my mind even to this day

My two favourite films, Back to the Future and Lost in Translation (odd combination) are small,simple films set in really well characterised locations.

LIT was probably the movie that first made me look into more "serious, maturish" movies

A perfect, perfectly formed film much like Back to the Future, I wouldn't change a thing.

I reserve the word "perfect" for these two movies only (so far), they're epic but not in the conventional manner we all think of, and wonderfully human, they're timeless and unique.

It got me thinking about my life at the time and wanting to be more connected with people like myself. I find it hard to put into words so I'll let a reviewer from IMDB say it best:

"Whatever the case, I realized one thing. LOST IN TRANSLATION MADE ME THINK.

It made me question my life, its purpose, whether I was happy or not, and what I want do with it. Never has a movie touched me in such a way, and for that reason, this is the one of the greatest movies I have ever seen.

That doesn't mean its the best movie ever made, in fact, I can name many that are technically better than this film.
    But I cannot name a movie that has had more effect on me than Lost in Translation, and that is why I love it and will love it forever."

I'm sorry I know a lot of people disagree with me but I just don't see the appeal of Lost in Translation. I thought it was awful :( & I love Bill Murray!

I'm sorry I know a lot of people disagree with me but I just don't see the appeal of Lost in Translation. I thought it was awful :( & I love Bill Murray!
    Awful? Seriously?! It has all I want from a great film.

I really think it's one of those movies you either love or you hate. As I said I know quite a few people would disagree with meI just found it 2 hours of boredom to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Awful? Seriously?! It has all I want from a great film.

That and "Broken Flowers" would be my favourite BM movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

I really think it's one of those movies you either love or you hate. As I said I know quite a few people would disagree with meI just found it 2 hours of boredom to be honest.

I've only seen it once and thought the same, when I get a chance I will give it another shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Its easily the most polarising film I've ever seen, have a look at the amazon review section and if you graph the reviews, it'd be a perfect U shape.

LIT feels so ordinary,simple, joyful, it's unassuming with it's take it or leave it attitude, makes all the better, its the good kind of life affirming boring.

It has that after midnight quiet, insomiac, dazy feel too as well, like somebody just turned the camera's on having ScarJo and BM in an alien Japan makes it like some alternate reality, where you could imagine these two meeting for real.

I forget their acting, that's acting. Just an honest story about people told with pictures. So much of this movie is about what they are NOT saying and what their look and reaction tell us. Anyway I do know why people HATE this movie, I just don't get it, LOL

Now as a reward for reading through my spew, here's ScarJo

• Advertisement

One of the best soundtracks of the decade too. The film just captures that feeling of being lost in a city of millions better than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Evelyn Cusack

I really like that it has Sometimes in it, that songalways rreminds me of a dream and the film is kinda dreamy

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Better movies

The Incredibles (2004)
    3-Iron (2004)
    Brokeback Mountain (2005)
    Hidden (2005)
    Children of Men (2006)
    No Country For Old Men (2007)
    Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
    Cloverfield (2008)
    Gomorrah (2008)
    Let The Right One In (2008)
    The Chaser (2008)
    Wall -E (2008)
    Up (2009)
    District 9 (2009)
    A Prophet (2009)
    Toy Story 3 (2010)
    Incendies (2010)
    Social Network (2010)
    Silver Linings Playbook (2011)
    Amour (2012)

And there's plenty more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Lost in Translation is a beautiful little film. I watched it on my own and didn't want it to end.

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Better movies

Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
    Oh **** no. That's one of the few films in this thread that I'd call outright terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I watched No Country for Old Men again on Saturday morning. It really is magnificent. It's gripping and entertaining with an utterly unique bad guy - but built on a rock solid foundation of big fundamental themes. A brilliant treatment of the cheapness of life and inevitability of death.

The question of 'best' film is a virtually impossible one to answer. It's terribly subjective and is never a level playing field given the variance of language, budget, genres, etc. No movie is without flaws of some nature, and no movie will ever have a truly universal appeal. I remember the two friends I went to see NCFOM with being quite bearish on it. They particularly hated the ending (and it was a widespread bone of contention at the time).

Having watched it a few times since, I think it would stand up as my personal favourite. It has great rewatchability too. My answer on cinema experiences would be Wall - E and The Dark Knight. I was totally lost in both and tears streamed down my face during the former. :o But they don't stand up as well to repeated viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is my choice. Definitely the best thing I've watched in the last 10 years.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Oh **** no. That's one of the few films in this thread that I'd call outright terrible.

Of course it's not even vaguely close to being terrible.

Ratings: 8.0/10 from 439,846 users

4/4 Roger Ebert
    The film uses dazzling cinematography, breathless editing, driving music and headlong momentum to explode with narrative force, stirring in a romance at the same time. For Danny Boyle, it is a personal triumph. He combines the suspense of a game show with the vision and energy of "City of God" and never stops sprinting.

When I saw "Slumdog Millionaire" at Toronto, I was witnessing a phenomenon: dramatic proof that a movie is about how it tells itself. I walked out of the theater and flatly predicted it would win the Audience Award. Seven days later, it did. And that it could land a best picture Oscar nomination. We will see. It is one of those miraculous entertainments that achieves its immediate goals and keeps climbing toward a higher summit.

3.5/4 Peter Traver
    What I feel for this movie isn't just admiration, it's mad love.

And that's just the first two I found.

One of the best reviewed mainstream movies of the decade.

So... this is one of those, "it's you not the rest of the world" things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I never got the love for Slumdog either. Thought it was average enough. America needed a feelgood film to latch onto at the time, this was it. Poor boy done good, bright colours, happy ending, dance scene at the end. Did nothing for me really. Maybe i'm dead inside.:P

• Advertisement

Of course it's not even vaguely close to being terrible.
    I have to beg to differ. It's horribly manipulative, has poor character development, 2 romantic leads that have NO CHEMISTRY WHATSOEVER, a corny message than undermines so much of the real-life cruelty on show and a plot that completely consists of contrivances. I think it's one of the most cynical films of the last decade and it really bothers me that so many fell for it. It pretty much just tortures its characters for 2 hours before a completely arbitrary happy ending that wasn't earned in the least.
    So... this is one of those, "it's you not the rest of the world" things.
    No this is a real "it's the rest of the world" case. I genuinely can't see how it's a good film on any level.

Advertisement