Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting weather diary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

Trip: work commute 28km round trip
    Mode: cycle.
    Weather: extremely wet around 7:00 this morning bit no wind, evening commute dry and mild
    Comment: completely drenched on way to work, need to get some better wet gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Trip: morning school run.
    Mode: cycle, Senior Infant on own bike.
    Weather: clear, cold and dry.
    Comment: light traffic. SI got puncture at around the half-way mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

Trip: Work
    Mode: Cycle @ 09h30 and 17h00
    Weather: Very mild this morning, no wind, this evening was very windy and with some rain
    Comment: The pedestrian crossing at Dun na Coiribe (dunnes store side) is not working right, once you press to activated it , it turns off after 5 secs or so and never once have i seen a green light for the pedestrian crossing. it been like this since before christmas.

Lundar. wrote: »
    The pedestrian crossing at Dun na Coiribe (dunnes store side) is not working right, once you press to activated it , it turns off after 5 secs or so and never once have i seen a green light for the pedestrian crossing. it been like this since before christmas.

Could actually be storm-related. I know of some traffic signals still out of action following the severe storms, and weekly 'walking bus' programmes have been cancelled as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

Hi Iwannahurl ,

i doubt it storm related, it look a mis-configuration on that crossing, as it been like that for over 6-7 weeks, been meaning to post about it several weeks ago but with Christmas and so on, i forgot to post about it. Not sure who to contact about this issue tbh.

• Advertisement

Trip: morning 3+4 km school-work run, Wednesday 5th February.
    Weather: no rain.

Trip: usual morning school run, Thursday 6th February.
    Weather: clear, cold and dry. Lovely day.
    Comment: left home later than usual. Traffic light but fast-moving in places. Waited at uncontrolled junction for opportunity to cross. When motorist stopped to let child across, other drivers beeping within seconds. 49 school days since thread started.

Usual school run. No rainfall worth mentioning, other than a few drops of rain out of a pale blue sky for a minute or two. Large pool of water at one road crossing point. 0.6 mm of rainfall in last 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Lundar. wrote: »
    Hi Iwannahurl ,

i doubt it storm related, it look a mis-configuration on that crossing, as it been like that for over 6-7 weeks, been meaning to post about it several weeks ago but with Christmas and so on, i forgot to post about it. Not sure who to contact about this issue tbh.

Right here:

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/MaintenanceandComplaints/TrafficSignalFault/

Posting on boards is not going to fix the issue. I recommend you contact Galway CC asap to fix this.

TBH I haven't reported any of the broken traffic signals. The storm damage was so extensive that the Council must have a mountain of repair work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

A months worth of commuting done this year by bike and generally it's been grand. A few days were the level of wind made bike handling tricky when signalling or looking backwards, but not more than some of the bad road surfaces around the city. A few tough days battling into a gale, but sure it feels good afterwards. And some of the nights cycling home the stars have been wonderfully clear.

Comment: At night the lights at Briarhill as you approach from the West do not detect bikes for the right turn (past Dunnes) and will never go green unless a car triggers them.

• Advertisement

Trip: Friday work commute 28km round trip
    Weather: dry and mild
    Comment: Bit of a flu this week so drove Tues/Wed/Thurs to work. Was a nice week for cycling (except Mon morning when I got drenched, now that I think of it may be how I picked up flu)

Usual school run. A few drops of rain on return journey. 0.2 mm rainfall last 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swine

It's really hard to see a purpose to this thread other than you wanting to tell us your senior infant cycles to school.

Iwannahurl wrote: »

It will take more than that to keep me off the bike.

(I am a man + I did have the flu ≠ manflu)

Weather: dry but cold
    Comment: Nice day for commute. Bright the whole commute home. Spring is here.

swine wrote: »
    It's really hard to see a purpose to this thread other than you wanting to tell us your senior infant cycles to school.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87557148&postcount=1

Usual school run today, by bike. Looked icy, so Senior Infant didn't cycle. Turns out there was no ice. No rain either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87557148&postcount=1

Usual school run today, by bike. Looked icy, so Senior Infant didn't cycle. Turns out there was no ice. No rain either.

It rained this morning as I drove in between 8.35 & 8.55. It snowed at about 9.30.

I also liked the shower that washed the ice off my car yesterday morning at about 7.45.

antoobrien wrote: »
    It rained this morning as I drove in between 8.35 & 8.55. It snowed at about 9.30.

That must have been the 0.2 mm of rain that fell between 08:00 and 09:00 this morning.

Have you replaced those hard-working, worn-out wipers yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

That must have been the 0.2 mm of rain that fell between 08:00 and 09:00 this morning.

Have you replaced those hard-working, worn-out wipers yet?

I am now almost convinced that our road has its own weather system as the rain falling outside my house always seems more than these reports! :P
    Bike has a boo boo so walked in the sleet today.

• Advertisement

Maybe everybody has their own weather system? :)

EeyoreItsSnowingStill.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Ok this morning...no frost on road. On way home the hail stones nearly cut the snout off me.. had to look down when it got heavy.....it'll be the car tomorrow...diesel burner commute tomorrow

Trip: usual school run.
    Mode: bike, SI did not cycle.
    Weather: very wet and windy. 8.4 mm of rain since midnight.
    Comment: got a royal soaking on outward leg, but no rain on way back (via long detour).

Usual school run. No rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hail and rain just around lunchtime journey.
    Opted for bus as have a cold.

Usual school run. SI started off on own bike, but I had misjudged level of rainfall and had to switch to Plan B mid-journey. Only had raincoat on so legs a bit wet on return home. Very cold, sodden and miserable day overall.

Comment: Nice day for commute after the wind last week.

Not a commute, but I had a good long cycle around the city today. Beautiful weather, even warm. Some roads utterly choked with traffic.

Comment: Once again nice day for commute
    Going to add a section to make the diary more relevant
    Wet: 0/4= 0% (this is getting caught in a shower not a light drizzle)
    Nice: 4/4= 100% (Dry and mild)
    Deadly: 0/4= 0% (Too windy, Icy, Stormy to cycle safely)

• Advertisement

Weather: dry in morning, wet commute home
    Comment:
    Wet: 1/6= 18%
    Nice: 5/6= 82%
    Deadly: 0/6= 0%

Advertisement