Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting weather diary

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

IWH-OH did work commute by bike within the last ten minutes. Sun coming out, no rain.

SI did usual school run this morning. No rain.

Light shower during pick up (by car) in the afternoon.

Trip: usual school run.
    Mode: cycle.
    Weather: fine, mild.
    Comment: nice sunrise. Took around 3 minutes to cross the road at one point, due to unyielding traffic.

Trip: usual school run.
    Weather: fine, mild.
    Comment: sweating a bit after 6 km round trip. Feels a lot colder right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

Trip: work
    Weather: fine, mild. Strong head wind at around 9am
    Comment: had a fairly strong head wind ,but otherwise another nice day

• Advertisement

Weather: fine, mild. Breeze has picked this evening
    Comment: Got another puncture on the QB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Lundar. wrote: »
    Comment: Got another puncture on the QB.
    Was it from a twig/thorn from the hedge cutting. I warned you guys!

Hi snubbleste,

i'm not sure as it was dark when i was cycling i try to watch out for glass, the tyre wents down rather quick (less than 30 secs)

I recommend puncture-resistant tyres. Got mine several months ago (forget exactly when) and have had only one slow puncture since caused by a tiny piece of wire embedded in the tyre. Someone on Boards advised me a while ago to check regularly for such items, but I forgot. How right they were...

Trip: school run.
    Mode: cycle, SI under own steam.
    Weather: very pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Trip: work related
    Mode: cycle. Finally fixed bike chain and happy!
    Weather: Odd weather. Rainy and cold! Only got nippy as I was heading out. Nose cold by time I got to town, but happy to be on the bike again. Seemed to warm up once I got off.:cool:
    Comment: Evening cycle. Time of day work wise will skew weather reports either direction. It would be good to have more evening and swing shift type commuters weigh in too. Or at very least mention time of day in the post?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Left work this evening at about 7:40 could see dirty band of rain coming on the met eireann rainfall radar. I put the pullups on but actually I was home before the weather hit.

Ive been wearing tracksuit bottoms instead of shorts this week for first time in ages. But its more because its December than actually cold.

Weather:another fine and mild day with some light rain.

Comment: Didn't spot any glass on the QB

Trip: morning school run, around 08:30.
    Mode: cycle, Senior Infant on own bike.
    Weather: dry and unseasonably mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Trip: Work Commute @ 14h15
    Distance: 11 km.
    Time taken: 45 minutes
    Mode: Cycle.
    Weather: Dry and mild. Strong westerly wind on my back
    Comment: Pleasant cycle. Had two stops on the way hence increased journey time. Surface water on Lough Atalia Rd is a pain.

Mode: cycle @ 09h00 and 14h45
    Weather:Fairly dry day, Strong Breeze this morning and afternoon, got caught with the tail end of a heavy shower's.
    Comment: Another puncture this morning, time to replace the tyres with puncture resistance one's. Also I really hate the automatic air pump at the kirwan roundabout petrol station. Tried to pump the tyre to 60+ psi but it decided to beep an alarm and then fully deflate the tyre :( then had to pump the tyre up again by hand.

Trips: two school runs, plus a 2 km round trip to the local shop.
    Mode: cycle in all cases.
    Weather: wet and cold today. 2.6 mm of rain so far, according to galwaycityweather.com.
    Comment: morning was fine. Shower just before return leg of second school-related trip mid-morning was easily avoided simply by waiting a few minutes until it had cleared. Caught the beginning of a heavy shower on way to the local shop around 12:30. Rain had passed by the time I emerged a short time later, and the trip home was dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Rain pants had to be deployed yesterday due to surface water causing spray. On the plus side a strong tail wind meant I felt like Sean Kelly on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

How was your cycle today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Weather was way too stormy earlier today for me to bike the distance I was going.
    Bus instead.

Not a commute today, strictly speaking, but might be worth posting all the same.

Atrocious weather earlier. 23 mm of rain since midnight, and extremely windy. Very few cyclists and pedestrians out and about.

Trip was multi-stop journey by car over the space of two hours or so, to shops, services and amenities. Attempted to drive to a cafe located about 800 metres from the city centre on the west side of the river. Arrived at the junction of Whitestrand Road and Fr Griffin Road to find apparent traffic jam. Took about 5 minutes to move ten metres, so had a quick re-think and went to Salthill instead. Wind nearly blew the kids away, and the sea was magnificently wild. Saw a couple of swimmers all the same. Afterwards IWH-OH took one child and walked into town from Upper Salthill, because the weather had improved.

• Advertisement

How was your cycle today?

Not commuting today - but if I was I would have used the car. I did use the car to do some messages - mainly Lego buying.

However now at 18:00 the mace head weather station is showing 16kts and the rainfall radar is clear for Galway. So in about an hour I'll be taking the bike to town to meet some friends. And if the bike ends up having a few pints it can stay where it is and I'll get a taxi home.

Its a sacrificial bike- its worth about eu 150. If its not there when I go back for it its not the end of the world.

Edit: 16kts is Beaufort force 4 or equvalent to a moderate breeze

Its a sacrificial bike- its worth about eu 150. If its not there when I go back for it its not the end of the world.

And you'll still have your Lego. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Aarghh! I saw a motorist seriously splash an older woman who was walking on University Road near the Millennium Playground around 1:45 today(/yesterday). As there was nothing to stop the driver avoiding the puddle, I conclude that he/she either did it on purpose (I've known people to brag about doing this) or was not paying attention. The woman did have raingear on, but she ended up getting really soaked.

Eeden wrote: »
    Aarghh! I saw a motorist seriously splash an older woman who was walking on University Road near the Millennium Playground around 1:45 today(/yesterday). As there was nothing to stop the driver avoiding the puddle, I conclude that he/she either did it on purpose (I've known people to brag about doing this) or was not paying attention. The woman did have raingear on, but she ended up getting really soaked.

The behaviour you describe was effectively an unprovoked assault. If you walked out on the street and poured a bucket of dirty water over a random stranger it would be treated as assault.

If you use a car to perform the same assault it would appear you can expect the indulgence of the state and the admiration of your "peers".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Its about time the corpo cleaned out the gullys. I see them doing it on occasion during the summer but that's feck all good when the leaves fall off the trees and block them up again. university road lower newcastle and down near the Spanish arch were particularly bad yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

The behaviour you describe was effectively an unprovoked assault. If you walked out on the street and poured a bucket of dirty water over a random stranger it would be treated as assault.

If you use a car to perform the same assault it would appear you can expect the indulgence of the state and the admiration of your "peers".

Really??? Cop onto yourself and come back to reality!

Picking up a bucket and poring it over someone is not the same as splashing someone in a car.

One is a malicious assault, the other is rarely done on purpose, usually caused by a driver not paying 100% attention or not seeing either the puddle or the pedestrian.

It happens, it's wrong, it's regretful, will probably ruin someone's day but hardly in the same league as your rant!

Bad weather again today. 6.8 mm of rain since midnight.

Not commuting again, but did have total 14 km excursion in the morning. Walked across road from Galway Shopping Centre to the retail park opposite, and it was foul. A lot of ponding in GSC car park, and walkways are inadequate.

OH cycled to work mid-morning to catch up on a few things. Texted me to request a lift home it it was still raining heavily, but cancelled as cycled home during clear spell.

Rain hammering on the windows as I type.

Trip: Work
    Mode: Cycle @ 09h00 and 17h00
    Weather: Fairly dry day and cold
    Comment: I needed to wear my hat cycling and have a good pair of gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Trip: Work- Salthill to Liosban
    Mode: Cycle @ 08h00
    Weather: Cowld!
    Comment: Very enjoyable but the new system of lanes coming up to he fire station from salthill makes it difficult to get to the top of the queue.

Advertisement