Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting weather diary

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

School run today and yesterday, plus 10 km round trip by bike and on foot last night for leisure purposes. No rain at any time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Date: 16/12/2013
    Mode: Cycle to work @ 08h30
    Weather: Overcast and breezy - felt one or two drops but it didnt actually rain.
    Comment: Although it had clearly rained earlier I didnt see much surface water. Definitely a colder feel to it.

Date: 16/12/2013
    Mode: Cycle home @ 20h00
    Weather: Moonlit with clouds and clear patches
    Comment: Much more surface water seen after heavy showers. Had no rain on trip could see rain coming on rainfall radar before I left but was home before it.

Date: 17/12/2013
    Mode: Cycle to work @ 08h15
    Weather: Some cloud but skies clearing - no rain on commute
    Comment: Was concerned about black ice after AA roadwatch but roads seemed ok in the city.
    Additional Comment: The sunrise was very nice - pretty colours

Date: 17/12/2013
    Mode: Cycle to town from work @ 18h00
    Weather: Dry but a bit windy
    Comment: Rainfall radar was showing a large bank of mist/drizzle over the west coast including Galway when I left so I put on the wet gear. But when I got out it was bone dry. It was still dry cycling home two hours later.

Usual 6 km round trip to school, with Senior Infant on own bike for outward leg. Nice sunrise, no rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

Trip: Work
    Mode: Cycle @ 09h00 and 17h00
    Weather: Dry this morning with a moderate breeze, This evening was Very windy and lots of rain showers
    Comment: The QB was particularly windy could barely see where i was going with the wind and rain. The gusts were dangerous as it blew me near to pasting cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Cycled to and from work today. This morning was grand, normal, very pleasant cycle.

Coming home it was extremely windy. For the first part it was behind me, but then was a crosswind for the latter part. The gusts could be tricky, but nothing too bad. Got a leaf on my glasses so had to stop briefly. Overall it was tremendous fun :)

Turned into it at the end and methinks going the other way wouldn't have been quite so enjoyable, but certainly still manageable and pretty epic.

No way I was gettng on the bike this morning when I saw the forecast!

Part timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Cycled 5 k home from work today. No rain but straight into 100km/h westerly winds. Stayed dry with the benefits of extreme cardio workout on my small single speed bike.

• Advertisement

18 December: drove to Salthill for social reasons at 15:00. Returned at 17:00 to find road closed behind Seapoint due to flooding. Warned some people in Aquarium and Arabica to move their cars. OH rang expressing an interest in getting a lift home from work. Battery went flat on mobile son after. Drove to workplace only to discover that OH had cycled (and walked) home, and I hadn't got the message. Drove back to Salthill to see if I could help friends, but too late: they had abandoned their cars.

19 December: morning school run by bike. Short sharp showers of hailstones and road a tiny bit slippy in one or two places. Had a look at after-effects of storm in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Mr_A wrote: »
    Part timer.

A five year old girl is in serious condition in hospital after the car she was in was blown across the motorway between Athenry & Oranmore.

Sorry- what's your point exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I think his point is that the gales are so dangerous out there it is prudent and wise to not cycle in such conditions therefore Galwaycyclist should be commended for putting the bike away rather than teased.

I saw several cyclists when out and about yesterday evening. Most were walking their bikes, although I did see one (lightless) battling the gales.

I suspect many of them cycled out on the dry morning not really thinking of the forecast. Same goes from drivers though, which may be why a number of them were caught in the Salthill floods.

Certainly I wasn't aware of the severity of the forecast when I went to work. I had organised a lift home from a work colleague, but when I was leaving felt the weather conditions were manageable. For once, my excess ballast proved an advantage rather than a disadvantage. :) Also the route was relatively open so I didn't encounter the funnelling that can make urban cycling in wind problematic.

Mode: Cycle @ 09h30 and 17h00
    Weather: Dry this morning with a Hail on the ground , fairly cold cycle and a moderate breeze.
    Comment: A lot of christmas traffic around the kirwan roundabout, which made it difficult to navigate at times. ie cars were very close to the kerb and had to mount the path to get past...

Usual morning school run by bike. A bit breezy but no rain. Traffic extremely light, for no apparent reason.

Weather had worsened considerably by afternoon (using car for school pick-up).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Wild winds and lashing sideways.
    That plus carrying too much = taxi
    Taxi late enough due to heavy traffic
    Afternoon commute

Not strictly a commute, but I did cycle into town on Sunday afternoon. Traffic mental, little or no road space to cycle on in some areas.

12 km round trip. Got caught in a hail shower on way home around 17:30. Hailstones sting!

• Advertisement

Mode: Cycle @ 09h30 and 13h00
    Weather: Misty rain this morning with a strong breeze,This afternoon was lovely and sunny with a very strong breeze against me on the QB.
    Comment: Glad to be cycling, Christmas traffic was insane ,all of the traffic was heading towards the Galway shopping centre area....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yet another day where I went to grab the bike and was about to leave when an unforgivable amount of water fell from the sky. Had too much to carry to get that wet so got the bus. Afternoon.

Again not a commute, but for the record a visiting relative waited 40 minutes for a BE bus into city centre before cancelling arranged meeting and giving up. No rain while waiting, but could have walked the distance in around that time or perhaps a bit longer. Came home declaring intention never to get the bus in Galway again. I explained the likely situation on a Monday 48 hours before Christmas...

Wouldn't recommend cycling today.Did the last of the christmas shopping this morning, Had several very heavy thunder and hail stone shower's. Traffic this morning was surprisingly light. i expect it to get busy this afternoon.

Weather:Light rain showers and a moderate breeze this morning,Rain and strong breeze this evening.
    Comment: Glad to be back cycling after the christmas break...

Back-to-school run by bike. Senior Infant changed mind about cycling own bike due to worsening rain. Traffic variable along route, very light in some places and exceptionally heavy in others. Realised later that it might have been because of road closures in Salthill. Caught in bad shower on way home, but not really a problem with a tail-wind.

Weather: Had some rain and it was still fairly windy this morning,Rain and strong breeze this evening.
    Comment: took it easy, been ill the last few days with a stomach bug

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

Mode: Cycle @ 07h00 and 16h30
    Weather: Mild in morning and evening. No rain or wind.
    Comment: Today was a delight, first enjoyable commute since the nice spell around Nov - early Dec. Also had a bit of dusk all the way home so the days are getting longer :D.
    On a side note I'm also quite happy with bike as I finally isolated a horrible grinding noise / sensation when I was cycling over the last two weeks. After much trial and error discovered one of the ball bearings in my right pedal had come loose and was grinding intermittently so took apart pedal cleaned and re-greased.

Weather: Nice and mild, no wind or rain
    Comment: Had a nice sunrise and sunset while cycling today :) , it was truly a enjoyable cycle today.

• Advertisement

Trip: morning school run 8th January.
    Mode: cycle, Senior Infant on own bike.
    Weather: fine.
    Comment: very pleasant weather, in stark contrast to recent storms.

Advertisement