Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting weather diary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

Trip: Work
    Mode: Cycle @ 09h30 and 17h00
    Weather: Mild Frost this morning, had some rain this evening,
    Comment: Another nice day for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

2 x evening commutes less than a couple of miles each way.
    Biked, very cold and wet in both directions - wind worse for me on the outward journey.
    Reading back over other commuters' logs today I'd swear I was in a different universe! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Trip: morning school run 9th January.
    Mode: cycle, Senior Infant on own bike.
    Weather: fine.
    Comment: IWH-OH did 3 km school run, followed by 4 km commute to work.

==========================

Trip: morning school run 10th January.
    Mode: bike.
    Weather: rainy.
    Comment:too wet for Senior Infant. Preparing for rain definitely increases the faff quotient.

Mode: Cycle @ 09h30 and 14h00
    Weather: Raining fairly heavily this morning, it was spitting rain when i started cycling home in the afternoon but soon cleared up
    Comment: Although it was raining this morning it was nice cycle as long you had the wet gear...

Trip: total 7 km school+work morning commute by IWH-OH.
    Weather: overcast, but not raining.
    Comment: roads wet. 4.6 mm rain since midnight, 11 mm last 24 hrs, according to galwaycityweather.com.

• Advertisement

Trip: 3 km school run.
    Weather: threatening rain on way there, extremely light rain (barely noticeable) on way back.
    Comment: 2 mm of rain since midnight.

Trip: 6 km total journey to and from school.
    Mode: cycle.
    Weather: no rain during trip, road wet following heavy rain earlier. 6.6 mm of rain from midnight until this moment. 4.6 mm 06:00-09:00.
    Comment: Looked out the window around 08:15 and it was raining. From the looks of it, and recalling last night's forecast, I thought it would be a wet trip. Put on all the gear and got offspring sorted. By the time we got on the road the skies were clear. Temperature 8 deg, was steaming by the time I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Trips - To Work Monday-Wed (13-15th)
    Weather - Rainy
    Approx departed: 7.45-8.10
    Approx arrival times 8.05-8.30
    Comment - It was raining each day when I went from my morning coffee at approx 9.20.

Trips From work Monday & Tuesday (13 & 14th)
    Weather - Rainy
    Approx departed: 4.00-4.30
    Approx arrival times 4.20-5.00
    Comment - need new wipers, these ones are starting to wear out.

Mode: Cycle @ 09h30 and 17h00
    Weather: The Rain finished up just before my cycle this morning , nice and mild this evening.
    Comment: Had not much wind the last few days, but a fair bit of rain and it was cold whilst cycling early in the mornings.

Usual school run.

No rain.

• Advertisement

IWH-OH 3+4 km morning school-work run with SI on own bike. Beautiful day, no rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Clear weather this morning. Very cold and could see frost on the footpaths, although non evident on the roads. I need glove upgrade, although the youngsters seem to manage fine on the school trip with poor ones or non.

Trip: 6 km total journey to and from school in the morning.
    Mode: cycle, SI on own bike.
    Weather: frosty, around 3 deg.
    Comment: Beautiful morning, but icy. One skid on black ice when turning a corner, and new surface near a pedestrian crossing was like glass. All part of the learning experience. Otherwise a very enjoyable cycle. SI's face glowing as I departed.

Usual morning school run. Expecting rain, following last night's forecast, but there was none.

From Met Eireann's website:
    Generally cloudy and blustery at first today with outbreaks of rain or drizzle. The rain will gradually clear eastwards through the late morning and early afternoon with bright or sunny spells and scattered showers following from the west. Highest temperatures of 7 to 10 degrees with fresh to strong southerly winds, which will ease as the rain clears.

0.4 mm of rain 06:00-07:00 hrs according to IRUSE weather data.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Usual morning school run. Expecting rain, following last night's forecast, but there was none.

Lots of water on the road for "no rain".

Galwaycityweather.com says 0.8 mm rain since midnight.

Now that you mention it, there was some ponding on the roads, such as a large pool of water right in front of a pedestrian crossing on a narrow road. Had to keep back to in case passing vehicles might splash through it.

No rain falling out of the sky during entire 6 km return journey, however, which is what counts in the context of this thread.

No rain falling out of the sky during entire 6 km return journey, however, which is what counts in the context of this thread.

My wipers needed using on a few occasions during my 20 odd minute drive.

My experience was that no rain fell during the 6 km round trip to school and back this morning. This is supported by the IRUSE and galwaycityweather.com websites, both of which report 0.8 mm of rain since midnight.

Lots of cars on the road this morning, though I can't claim to have noticed whether their drivers felt the need to use their windscreen wipers or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

My experience was that no rain fell during the 6 km round trip to school and back this morning. This is supported by the IRUSE and galwaycityweather.com websites, both of which report 0.8 mm of rain since midnight.

Lots of cars on the road this morning, though I can't claim to have noticed whether their drivers felt the need to use their windscreen wipers or not.

It rained on me but my commute was lunchtime today. Nippy air but wind not too bad.
    Less than 2 miles each way.
    Lovely sky this evening but my face is numb :D

*edit - in case it wasn't clear I cycled as opposed to sticking my face out a car window!

Not my commute by my sister from school yesterday approx 4pm.

Bus journey - got soaked walking to the bus.

My journey about 4.15 - no rain but lots of water on the roads meaning lots of spray (wipers) & some splashing (fortunately I managed to miss all the pedestrians with the splashes).

• Advertisement

Interesting, you said this earlier:
    Now that you mention it, there was some ponding on the roads, such as a large pool of water right in front of a pedestrian crossing on a narrow road. Had to keep back to in case passing vehicles might splash through it.

but you insist in preferring to believe something that does not tally with your own observations about the actual road conditions.

Trip: morning school run, 6 km round trip.
    Weather: no rain during outward leg. 0.6 mm rain since midnight.
    Comment: left house without rain-gear because wasn't raining. While passing a very long line of cars on the outward journey, I did a quick check and noticed a few motorists were using their wipers. Not raining at the time, so I guess they were clearing water (condensation) off the windscreen. Delayed a bit before return leg and got caught in a shower. Sheltered for a few minutes and then resumed journey. Arrived home dry.

Trip: morning school run, 6 km in total.
    Weather: raining prior to departure. 2 or 3 mm of rain since midnight, depending on which weather website consulted.
    Comment: raining while getting ready for school run. Sounded heavy on shed roof. Went inside, put on all the rain gear and got Senior Infant ready. By the time of departure, significantly more daylight and rain had stopped. No rainfall during outward leg. Passed approx 1.2 km line of stationary or slow-moving vehicles. Didn't notice much use of windscreen wipers (viewed from rear/side). No rainfall most of the way home. Had closer look at vehicles while cycling past approx 800 metre line of slow-moving traffic going in the opposite direction. Only two using windscreen wipers. Started to rain a short distance from home. Not very wet, was able to hang rain-gear up in hall without drip-drying first. Coffee and Advertiser to finish (interesting Insider piece about new Sligo County Manager and his traffic-related legacy in Galway).

Trip: morning school run.
    Weather: raining prior to departure. 6.4 mm of rain between midnight and 09:00.
    Comment: raining while getting ready for school run. Large patch of blue sky and no rainfall on 3 km outward leg. Took 4 km scenic route for return leg, and stopped along the way. Brief light shower en route. Started raining heavily just as arriving home at 09:25.

Trip: morning school run, 28 & 29 January.
    Mode: cycle, SI on own bike.
    Weather: no rain. Lovely clear weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

Trip: work commute 28km round trip
    Weather: nice commute no rain and roads dry as well.
    Comment: days are getting longer and looking forward to commute on way home as there's a bit of light before sun sets.

OH 3+4 km morning school-work run with SI on own bike. No rain.

Number of school days since thread started: 44.

Weather: very wet and windy.
    Comment: unpleasant traffic and weather conditions. Saw child trying to cross road on Green Man. Because of cars going through on red, she had to step back off the road and wait in the driving rain for next change of lights. Sad and infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

Trip: work commute 28km round trip
    Weather: very wet around 6:30 this morning and windy, not too bad at 15:00 one heavy shower
    Comment: Tough commute into work, very windy. If I'd known how windy it was I would have drove, bit dangerous with the gusts .

• Advertisement

Weather: very wet, 17.6 mm rainfall since 05:00.

Advertisement