Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting weather diary

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

http://www.joe.ie/news/galway-is-the-worst-city-in-ireland-for-people-who-cycle-to-work/538253

More media sensationalism?

As someone who cycles to work daily in this city, I'm not sure I'd prefer to cycle to work in Bangalore, Bangkok or Guatemala city.

The rain seems to be a big factor in this assertion. I don my wet gear about twice a month most of the year. Often in Galway waiting 5 mins will let a shower pass.
    It would be great top see Galway getting better cycling infrastructure like many other Irish/European cities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

harryd2 wrote: »
    http://www.joe.ie/news/galway-is-the-worst-city-in-ireland-for-people-who-cycle-to-work/538253

More media sensationalism?

As someone who cycles to work daily in this city, I'm not sure I'd prefer to cycle to work in Bangalore, Bangkok or Guatemala city.

The rain seems to be a big factor in this assertion. I don my wet gear about twice a month most of the year. Often in Galway waiting 5 mins will let a shower pass.
    It would be great top see Galway getting better cycling infrastructure like many other Irish/European cities.

Agreed. There is no such thing as bad weather only inappropriate clothes. I would put wind higher on the nuisance list than rain. Also it very rarely freezes in Galway

Ice + bikes = bad idea

Fact remains that there are pockets in Galway - Salthill, Taylors Hill, that still have among the highest levels of cycling to work in Ireland. Also Galway was the last city in the country where more secondary schoolgirls used bikes getting to school than used cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Agreed. There is no such thing as bad weather only inappropriate clothes.

There's also inappropriate facilities to change/shower at your end destination unfortunately.

That five minutes of soaking can change your work day (and health).

I'm embracing my waterproofs, but they are a pain in the arse for some trips.

Still, I'm all for better infrastructure for cyclists and think it is a great way to travel if it works for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

inisboffin wrote: »
    There's also inappropriate facilities to change/shower at your end destination unfortunately.

That five minutes of soaking can change your work day (and health).

I'm embracing my waterproofs, but they are a pain in the arse for some trips.

Still, I'm all for better infrastructure for cyclists and think it is a great way to travel if it works for you.

Yea - apologies if that came accross as po-faced. For short journeys waterproofs are ok but longer trips they get more painful.

It is strange how the city council have allowed various developers to build offices, shops etc without basic facilities - one might almost think they didn't want people to walk or cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Am I right in understanding that the results of the research are based on comparing rates of rainfall in nineteen different cities world wide. Nineteen different cities .

Ah here! More Joe.ie nonsense! Totally false thing to claim.

I see the original link doesn't claim that Galway is the "worst in the world", Just wetter than elsewhere in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

In fairness joe.ie ranks just above the daily fail in the clickbait bullsh!t that's best ignored stakes....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Treadhead wrote: »
    In fairness joe.ie ranks just above the daily fail in the clickbait bullsh!t that's best ignored stakes....

Oh I agree completely. That particular one is noticeably bad though because (a) that wasn't the point of the initial study and (b) what they are claiming in their headline is completely, utterly, factually incorrect.

I can accept that they engage in exaggeration and hyperbole to make a living, but they are completely making stuff up here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The guy was on RTE today chatting about it. I didn't actually click the link as I wrongly assumed it was the same as the one I just posted in the Cycling in the City thread. Not quite! including different title.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"the Tribal County is the worst city" - joe.ie gets it wrong twice in less than a sentence..

This particular news is already discussed in the "Cycling/Walking" thread but tbh it fits the "Commuting weather" best as it deals almost exclusively with cycling in rain.

No offence but a third thread on cycling weather/infrastructure/cars/blah isn't going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Agreed. Since Galway is wetter than 18 other cities, the sensationalist conclusion joe.ie draws, is Galway is the worst city in the world to cycle to work in,
    bundling itself with the tabloids/indo.
    It is strange how the city council have allowed various developers to build offices, shops etc without basic facilities - one might almost think they didn't want people to walk or cycle.

When we move office, shower facilities are a requirement as we have a few cyclists. A smart developer should (and in many cases do) recognise this.
    It would be good to see some legislation/guidelines/incentives in this regard however, in-line with the bike-to-work incentives.
    "the Tribal County is the worst city"
    uughhhh... rookie journalism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭what_traffic

True - people need to push for it at workplaces as well. It should really be part of planning though, big problem in Ireland is that planners dont follow up even if they lay it down as a condition. Recent example. Company I work for have just added an additional office building. Got them to install shower room, (they decided to add lockers) before the fit out. Got bike parking on the agenda as well, but I would have presumed that was part of the planning permission as well. Sometimes it is just no awareness OR else people only act if they know somebody is looking over the shoulder?

Just putting this here to illustrate the difference between anecdotal evidence (the data gathered in this thread by posters) versus actual data gathered using proper methods

http://www.shanelynn.ie/wet-rainy-cyling-commute-in-ireland-with-wunderground-and-python/

Based on this, Galway is by far the wettest city in Ireland to cycle in during commuting times

8yNJ0.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Just putting this here to illustrate the difference between anecdotal evidence (the data gathered in this thread by posters) versus actual data gathered using proper methods

http://www.shanelynn.ie/wet-rainy-cyling-commute-in-ireland-with-wunderground-and-python/

Based on this, Galway is by far the wettest city in Ireland to cycle in during commuting times

Would definitely agree. Dont cycle much but run every day and get wet virtually every day Dec- today in galway bar recent good spell. .. http://www.galwaycityweather.com/record.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

All that proves is that it rains more often in Galway than in other places.

The definition they use is:

Between 8.15am and 9.00am and you cycle home between 5.15pm and 6.00pm, Monday-Friday. If it rains at any time during these periods, with any amount, that’s deemed a “wet cycling day”.

Which makes measurement easy, but is pretty meaningless for anything except inter-city comparison.

On a huge number of days, if you can adjust your journey time by maybe 10 minutes either way, you'll not get nearly as wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

On a huge number of days, if you can adjust your journey time by maybe 10 minutes either way, you'll not get nearly as wet.

In fairness most people are more likely to be running 10 late for work rather than having 10 mins to spare.

All that proves is that it rains more often in Galway than in other places.

The definition they use is:

Between 8.15am and 9.00am and you cycle home between 5.15pm and 6.00pm, Monday-Friday. If it rains at any time during these periods, with any amount, that’s deemed a “wet cycling day”.

Which makes measurement easy, but is pretty meaningless for anything except inter-city comparison.

You could adjust the parameters any which way you want to make statements about the same for people starting work at 2pm, working 3 x 12 hr shifts, weekends only etc etc etc

Given that the basis of this thread is it's commuters that don't cycle because of the weather I think it makes sense to focus the measurements on the times most commuters, ya know, commute!

Granted it's not a catch all, but then I never claimed it was however it's a world apart in terms of accuracy compared to the postings in this thread i.e. Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal and cannot be used as a basis for any kind of argument for or against.

The fact that you were able to make the statement you did just goes to illustrate my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭what_traffic

True - with met.ie Rainfall Radar can predict accurately when it will rain in Galway.
    If one has flexible working hours then it can sure help in avoiding the rain but if you are in fixed shifts then not so useful.

Advertisement