Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of new routes at Cork airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

http://www.pprune.org/8783239-post5182.html
    This is unbelievable if is true. Who do these faceless civil servants think they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭kub

roundymac wrote: »
    http://www.pprune.org/8783239-post5182.html
    This is unbelievable if is true. Who do these faceless civil servants think they are?

Unfortunately it is these same faceless civil servants that run this little Island, the politicians just think they do.

If this is true then our Minister for Transport is a very sad and slap less man if he can't defend himself at a meeting.

Also I see the people who run British Airways and Iberia have made an approach to take over Aer Lingus. That is a worry for Cork because if they do we can say good bye to a lot of the Heathrow slots that Aer Lingus control. That might mean them doing a lot less business in Cork.
    I fear we might see ' tumbleweed blowing down the runway' ( ref Michael O Leary of Ryanair) sooner than anticipated.

It's a worry allright. However BA get a lot of transfer traffic from Ireland, I suspect he's trying to get back traffic lost to Eithad and Emerites out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I very much doubt any airport out of Dublin would get much action if Aer Lingus is taken over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I very much doubt any airport out of Dublin would get much action if Aer Lingus is taken over.

Cork to LHR is a busy route, can't see that affected

• Advertisement

Andip wrote: »
    Cork to LHR is a busy route, can't see that affected

Are all 4 flights busy 12months of the year? If not, they may be reduced. But that's not what I was getting at. The european routes from cork would be under serious threat.

Are all 4 flights busy 12months of the year? If not, they may be reduced. But that's not what I was getting at. The european routes from cork would be under serious threat.

In my experience, the LHR flight is always busy, but I stand to be corrected - there's not that many euro routes from Lingus as it is in comparison with other airports, I'd hate to see EI drop routes, but it may tempt other carriers to come into the market again

Might suit FR if this were to happen, he can then hold a gun to the Airport. EI would be a huge loss, the lack of connectivity as well as flying to secondary airports like FR fly to. I know there's rumours that FR are considering connectivity with other airlines but they are only rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

4dK5mBMl.jpg

Cork airport on the last saturday before Christmas at 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

That picture is very depressing.

Meanwhile 80,000 passed through Dublin yesterday.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/80000-passed-through-dublin-airport-yesterday-655352.html

• Advertisement

That picture is very depressing.

Meanwhile 80,000 passed through Dublin yesterday.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/80000-passed-through-dublin-airport-yesterday-655352.html

Mind you that photo is the departures area in Cork rather than arrivals, there were 13 scheduled passenger flights arriving Cork after 5pm today which I believe is more than landed in Shannon.

Mind you that photo is the departures area in Cork rather than arrivals, there were 13 scheduled passenger flights arriving Cork after 5pm today which I believe is more than landed in Shannon.

1. Shannons business is primarily focused in the mornings/early afternoon.

2. Cork is still larger than Shannon in 2015 in terms of passenger numbers.

3. Shannon is also like a ghost town at 5pm in the winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

they need to build a bigger runway,so American bound planes could land

braddun wrote: »
    they need to build a bigger runway,so American bound planes could land

What is that in response to? If you were just making a point in the thread, I apologise.

American bound planes need a large runway at cork to land? I think you phrased that wrong. Despite that, a 757 can operate at near full or full capacity from cork, which is the Only t/a passenger jet liner used at Shannon atm. So I do not see any operational problems to having a trans-atlantic service at cork.

1. Shannons business is primarily focused in the mornings/early afternoon.

2. Cork is still larger than Shannon in 2015 in terms of passenger numbers.

3. Shannon is also like a ghost town at 5pm in the winter.

Not that I much appreciated the 'snippy' response, my point was more that taken at a certain time of day, any airport can look like that.

The reality is that Shannon's passenger numbers have seen a significant decline, pretty much trending to Corks since 2009 and the only one showing an upwards trend (with the exception off small increase at SNN in 2013) is Dublin who seem to be hoovering up the passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Cork needs to figure out why passenger numbers declined.

It's not doing enough to highlight the routes those are available and I think there's a probable upturn in holiday traffic due this year as the economy is definitely brighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

For the first time ever... Each member if my extended family flew in to Dublin and drove to Cork this year. It was cheaper to land in Dublin, hire a car and drive down than it was to fly to Cork.

The charges at the airport are driving it into the ground.

Not that I much appreciated the 'snippy' response, my point was more that taken at a certain time of day, any airport can look like that.

The reality is that Shannon's passenger numbers have seen a significant decline, pretty much trending to Corks since 2009 and the only one showing an upwards trend (with the exception off small increase at SNN in 2013) is Dublin who seem to be hoovering up the passengers.

Shannon actually went from more passenger numbers than cork in 2006, but it plummeted to far less than cork this year.

Dublin will always hoover up passengers, its the largest in Ireland and people just seem to want to fly from Dublin, regardless of the services at their local airport.

pwurple wrote: »
    For the first time ever... Each member if my extended family flew in to Dublin and drove to Cork this year. It was cheaper to land in Dublin, hire a car and drive down than it was to fly to Cork.

The charges at the airport are driving it into the ground.

That's lack of competition, the charges are not as high as that!

SpaceTime wrote: »
    That's lack of competition, the charges are not as high as that!

Charges at Dublin are probably higher than cork aswell.

• Advertisement

The Ryanair and Aer Lingus duopoly at Cork really doesn't help things at all. They should be trying to encourage EasyJet etc in.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The Ryanair and Aer Lingus duopoly at Cork really doesn't help things at all. They should be trying to encourage EasyJet etc in.

Easyjet has already tries cork. It would be almost stupid for them to re-enter. Within a few months of them introducing a service, fr will hop on it with double capacity and under cut them. They will end up with a massive loss from operating from cork.

I think they really need to investigate what's going on in terms of competition on routes.

If certain airlines are doing that, it needs to be looked into by the European Commission's competition arm.

Charges at Dublin are probably higher than cork aswell.

In summer Dublin charges are roughly double the Cork charges

Dublin passenger charges are €10.62 per person winter up to €12.28 in summer whereas Cork is €7.15 all year round

Runway usage is €4.20 per tonne at cork all year and in Dub its €4.90 winter and €8.64 summer

In summer Dublin charges are roughly double the Cork charges

Dublin passenger charges are €10.62 per person winter up to €12.28 in summer whereas Cork is €7.15 all year round

Runway usage is €4.20 per tonne at cork all year and in Dub its €4.90 winter and €8.64 summer

Which diminishes Ryanair's point of the charges being as high as dublins, they are far from it.

Which diminishes Ryanair's point of the charges being as high as dublins, they are far from it.

Dub also has higher airbridge charges - cork €3.75 per 15 mins in cork and €7.35 per 15 mins in Dublin - not generally used in cork but very much so in dub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Then why in the name of fook is it 200-400 higher to fly to Cork instead of Dublin?

Seems like a vicious circle. Prices are higher so passenger numbers drop. Passenger numbers drop so flights dissappear. Smaller/less flights so higher prices.

From what I can see it's the airlines failing to see that a route from Cork to XXX actually competes with Dublin to XXX.

They hike the price on the Cork to XXX route because there's no competitor and drop it on the Dublin route because their is and end up cannibalising the Cork one.

pwurple wrote: »
    Then why in the name of fook is it 200-400 higher to fly to Cork instead of Dublin?

Seems like a vicious circle. Prices are higher so passenger numbers drop. Passenger numbers drop so flights dissappear. Smaller/less flights so higher prices.

If your paying more than €200 to fly anywhere from cork in the first place I think your mental, nevermind 200 extra!

Lack of competition seems to be the reason. I always found cork fares similar though. Maybe it is lack of capacity at Christmas time.

• Advertisement

Dublin will see significant growth next year, albeit mainly on long haul with Etheopian coming in with Dreamliners, but although DUB and SNN have pre clearance there's a big gap on budget USA flights.

O'Leary flew one of the new order 737's direct from Seattle Field to DUB a few weeks back and although no passengers it was non stop and proved a point.

Westjet fly DUB to St Johns Canada en route to Toronto on a 737-700 so cork to NY or Boston is very achievable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement