Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of new routes at Cork airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Heads should roll at Cork. If it was you or I we would lose our jobs if we were so bad at it like the current Cork Management are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

Heads should roll at Cork. If it was you or I we would lose our jobs if we were so bad at it like the current Cork Management are

.....a bit unfair on Cork Management.

At that rate there would be unemployed airport Management all the way down the West coast from Donegal to Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I was on the Cork-Nice flight late August this year and it was pretty full going out and coming back why did Aer Lingus cancel it not sure about the Lisbon route. Trek to Dublin now to get there next summer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Ryanair do a summer Nice flight from Shannon. So why not Cork:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Late august all summer flights are pretty full.
    And they have it from Shannon because they have lower fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

That's probably the reason EI pulled the Nice flights, competition from FR and SNN. FR will have no landing charges for the first year AFAIK so therefore will undercut EI on prices. People don't seem to realise how much SNN can impact on Cork. Draw a line north of Mallow and chance's are everyone there will use SNN as their first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

First step, AGAIN, has to be the removal of the debt. Second step is for full independence.

Only from there on will we see any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Sorry, but thats a stupid comment
    Its the DAA that overspent massively on the new terminal and watched on as the prices soared by the week, leaving the airport in the mess its in now.
    If the do not sort it out soon though, there will be grass growing on the runaway as O'Leary predicted 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

The DAA did not overspend massively. The Government of 2004 did, by guaranteeing the then Aer Rianta Cork would be debt free. They f*cked the DAA over as massively as they did the CAA.

Again Ryanair is not the solution to this problem, the morons who think they are would be the same folk complaining when Aer Lingus pulls out if Ryanair get there wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Jack1985 wrote: »
    The DAA did not overspend massively. The Government of 2004 did, by guaranteeing the then Aer Rianta Cork would be debt free. They f*cked the DAA over as massively as they did the CAA.

Again Ryanair is not the solution to this problem, the morons who think they are would be the same folk complaining when Aer Lingus pulls out if Ryanair get there wish.

That government f***** not just the DAA but also the entire bloody country. But still over 20% will.still vote for them.
    Sorry I know there is a political forum here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Passenger numbers up at Dublin and Shannon but down at Cork airport m.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0507/615774-daa/

So the Dublin based DAA (the reason they're crap at running a Cork airport is even written on the tin ffs!!) monopoly have managed to reduce traffic through cork airport, while all the other Irish airports increase theirs. Only a monopolistic semi state like the DAA could manage such a ****e performance.... truly staggering!!

P.s. I bet they'll still get paid bonuses, increments and no staff member will get a review rating below 3/5 even with these pitiful outcomes.

P.p.s. if the government want to create the environment to create more jobs in the SW, they should make Cork airport an independently run entity, with a manageable debt burden asap!! In fact they should have done it as promised about 10 years ago!!! Arghhhhhh.....

I agree with everything you just said but just bear in mind who was in government 10 years ago. The lies that they told.
    Of course the current Government should be doing more for us but the problem as has been mentioned is we have spineless politicians from this neck of the woods

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

The airport should close if they are not going to utilize it properly. Current state is a shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

need to get the whole issue on the national stage. fair play to whoever set up the save cork airport page but its all been local. Shannon kept making noise on a national scale, t

batnolan wrote: »
    The airport should close if they are not going to utilize it properly. Current state is a shambles

Why should it close? While it is disadvantaged it still has very good routes. Amsterdam, Heathrow, Brussels in the summer. Its Sun destinations are also great, Barcalona, Palma, Faro, Alicante etc and even Malaga year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Thread over in the infrastructure section about the list of suggested projects the Irish government have submitted to the EU hoping for some of Jean Claude Junckers investment fund
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93432561&postcount=1

Shannon Group have a whole pile of projects listed - completely renovating the runway, new hangars, terminal building revamp. Cork is completely absent. The lobbying for Cork airport is not even in the same league.

moyners wrote: »
    Thread over in the infrastructure section about the list of suggested projects the Irish government have submitted to the EU hoping for some of Jean Claude Junckers investment fund
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93432561&postcount=1

Shannon Group have a whole pile of projects listed - completely renovating the runway, new hangars, terminal building revamp. Cork is completely absent. The lobbying for Cork airport is not even in the same league.
    SNN were always like that, always went out and lobbied hard for what they wanted and most of the time they got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Don't get me wrong, I say fair play to them. It's just a real pity there doesn't seem to be the same passion in Cork for "our" airport and people don't realise the importance of it as a link for businesses as they seem to do in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

What a joy it was to step off my Paris flight yesterday, onto the airbridge. It really is such a cowardly disgrace that passengers are forced up 3 flights of stairs to arrivals. Not once do you hear that you can request to be ushered to the nearby lift. IF they are not going to provide an airbridge then provide a reversible escalator. I was going to say that wouldn't cost the €1m of an airbridge but with the DAA buying it, it'd probably be €5m !

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

moyners wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I say fair play to them. It's just a real pity there doesn't seem to be the same passion in Cork for "our" airport and people don't realise the importance of it as a link for businesses as they seem to do in Limerick.

I wonder if it's down to the 'Turf War' between the City and County councils? Some years ago now, I attended a few gatherings where someone from one council or the other was there and most of their speech was them getting their digs in at the other lot. Very childish.

• Advertisement

I wonder if it's down to the 'Turf War' between the City and County councils? Some years ago now, I attended a few gatherings where someone from one council or the other was there and most of their speech was them getting their digs in at the other lot. Very childish.

You could be onto something there, if i recall correctly the proposed new city boundaries are encompassing the airport. So why should the county council care?

Also with regard to Shannon, what else is there up in County Clare of infrastructural importance?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Just wondering if for a change, anyone has any good news?

Any new routes opening next year or the like or is it all 100% doom and gloom?

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Just wondering if for a change, anyone has any good news?

Any new routes opening next year or the like or is it all 100% doom and gloom?

A new service to Prague.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭thomil

Carnacalla wrote: »
    A new service to Prague.

Not just a new service, but also a new airline with CSA Czech Airlines, a flag carrier and the fifth oldest operating airline no less. So, it is not just Aer Fungus, err Aer Lingus and Ryanair anymore. On the downside, it is only a weekly connection, but better than nothing.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

So CSA will begin operating and I suppose Ryanair will then do what they usually do and set up a new route and undercut CSA.

Then CSA will withdraw from the route, Ryanair will continue operating it for a few months more, then make some noise about airport charges and move it from Cork to Shannon.

kub wrote: »
    So CSA will begin operating and I suppose Ryanair will then do what they usually do and set up a new route and undercut CSA.

Then CSA will withdraw from the route, Ryanair will continue operating it for a few months more, then make some noise about airport charges and move it from Cork to Shannon.

I don't think moving routes to Shannon is Common practise. I assume they will drop the routes.

thomil wrote: »
    Not just a new service, but also a new airline with CSA Czech Airlines, a flag carrier and the fifth oldest operating airline no less. So, it is not just Aer Fungus, err Aer Lingus and Ryanair anymore. On the downside, it is only a weekly connection, but better than nothing.
    Twice a week, Fridays and Mondays. Lets hope people use it, otherwise forget about it.

kub wrote: »

I don't see that happening, to be honest. What I am more afraid of is that CSA enters insolvency, which is not unlikely, I'm afraid. CSA has not posted a profit for a long time, and even now, when they're owned by Hanjin/Korean Air, there is a realistic chance that the new owners might pull the plug if CSA doesn't get their act together.

thomil wrote: »
    I don't see that happening, to be honest. What I am more afraid of is that CSA enters insolvency, which is not unlikely, I'm afraid. CSA has not posted a profit for a long time, and even now, when they're owned by Hanjin/Korean Air, there is a realistic chance that the new owners might pull the plug if CSA doesn't get their act together.
    It's happened before, gone in and scared off the opposition, how many times did they opperate Glasgow and East Midlands and pull out when no one else showed any interest in doing so. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti FR, they have done brillently in getting the "Legacy" airlnes to reduce prices, unfortunetly they have also stymied growth at certain airports which has done nothing but alienate the public.

• Advertisement

roundymac wrote: »
    It's happened before, gone in and scared off the opposition, how many times did they opperate Glasgow and East Midlands and pull out when no one else showed any interest in doing so. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti FR, they have done brillently in getting the "Legacy" airlnes to reduce prices, unfortunetly they have also stymied growth at certain airports which has done nothing but alienate the public.

I'm aware of Ryanair's modus operandi, and I don't dispute that they'll do anything short of strapping AIM-9 Sidewinders to their aircraft to get competition out of the way. On the other hand, the Czech Republic really seems like a marginal market for Ryanair. While Prague, Brno, and Ostrava all are served, it all destinations served by FR from these airports are Stansted, Dublin, and Charleroi, the last two exclusively from Prague. Given this, and the way the airline has treated Cork in the past, I'm inclined to say that they probably just don't give a damn at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement