Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pylons

Options
  • 13-11-2013 3:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gilmore-monster-pylons-must-comply-with-standards-249432.html

Interesting would these people be complaining like this when they have no electricity ?

The proposed pylons would be 45m high and amount to 750 “monster” structures along a 250km route, warned the Tipperary South TD. “This infrastructure will blight the landscape for locals and visitors alike and will destroy our tourism industry.”

These people are the same type that will say Dublin should not have skyscrapers. they would affect tourism.. they do know that in most countries skyscraper are a good thing for trade and tourism right ? no wind farms no recycling centres. Don't build anything by me or were i can see it i paid for the view.... oh wait

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

These people are the same type that will say Dublin should not have skyscrapers. they would affect tourism.. they do know that in most countries skyscraper are a good thing for trade and tourism right ? no wind farms no recycling centres. Don't build anything by me or were i can see it i paid for the view.... oh wait

Dont forget...
    'That money would be better spent on hospital beds'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Dont forget...
    'That money would be better spent on hospital beds'

The children's hospital they weren't allowed to build in Dublin ? I'm guessing these people think magic fairy dust powers hospitals ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

45m high [/I]

Liberty hall is just 59 m. That's a big pylon.

Is there any evidence for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Don't mind them at all, anyway, pylons can be amazing looking..if they wanted them to be
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kxPG6y8Qctk/TJj54ZCcVjI/AAAAAAAAgJs/jCzalKCwl9U/s800/Giant+Pylon+Men+-+Land+of+Giants+(2).jpg

SV wrote: »
    Don't mind them at all, anyway, pylons can be amazing looking..if they wanted them to be
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kxPG6y8Qctk/TJj54ZCcVjI/AAAAAAAAgJs/jCzalKCwl9U/s800/Giant+Pylon+Men+-+Land+of+Giants+(2).jpg

Immediately thought of the DDDA Gormley scupture..

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kven8b4QhC1qa5h7no1_400.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

You must construct additional pylons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

The children's hospital they weren't allowed to build in Dublin ? I'm guessing these people think magic fairy dust powers hospitals ?

You could probably power what's left of hospitals in Tipperary on fairy dust. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Oh my God, infrastructure! What is this Devil-craft?

OneArt wrote: »
    Oh my God, infrastructure! What is this Devil-craft?

Oh my god. The ground...we can dig it up and lay cables in it. What sorcery is this???

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

As long as one pylon is placed next to Gilmore's house I'm ok with the plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

What's causing the anger is that there is an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Links234 wrote: »
    You must construct additional pylons

entaro adun.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Interesting would these people be complaining like this when they have no electricity ?

Another option would be to allow them to have electricity and run cables underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

knird evol wrote: »
    Another option would be to allow them to have electricity and run cables underground.

Unfortunately, underground HV cables cost a bazillion times as much to build and maintain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Under grounding costs between 5 and 14 times more than overhead. Repair of faults in underground cables is more than 10 times more expensive. Are we willing to carry this cost in all our electricity bills?

Are we willing to carry this cost in all our electricity bills?

I'm just noting that the issue is very cut and dried for someone who doubtless hasn't a pylon within a fifty mile radius of them. The thoughts and cost/benefits feelings of those in pylon land should be respected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm just noting that the issue is very cut and dried for someone who doubtless hasn't a pylon within a fifty mile radius of them. The thoughts and cost/benefits feelings of those in pylon land should be respected.

I have pylons running through the fields immediately surrounding my home. No big deal, believe me. I appreciate all the benefits.

No big deal, believe me.

It might be a big deal to one person and a small deal to another and everywhere else along the scale. The only point I'm making is that it is a little disrespectful and unfair to sneer 'how would you like no electricity' to the people who might not like pylons all around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

Under grounding costs between 5 and 14 times more than overhead. Repair of faults in underground cables is more than 10 times more expensive. Are we willing to carry this cost in all our electricity bills?

Not to disagree but have you a link for that? hearing a lot from people about the pylons recently. Not as bothered about them myself so would appreciate links to dispel the arguments if possible.

I agree aesthetically that they should go underground where possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

It might be a big deal to one person and a small deal to another and everywhere else along the scale. The only point I'm making is that it is a little disrespectful and unfair to sneer 'how would you like no electricity' to the people who might not like pylons all around them.

Let them **** off and live in a cave if they don't want to put up with the 'inconvenience' of having a pylon located near them.

People like this drive me mad, they want all the conveniences that modern engineering can bestow like electricity, clean running water, sanitation - things that people from even 100years ago would find magical - but, put a necessary part of that infrastructure within 500 yards of them and their phoning Joe Duffy or onto their local Councillor.

****ing Clowns!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

NIMBY

Let them **** off and live in a cave if they don't want to put up with the 'inconvenience' of having a pylon located near them.

People like this drive me mad, they want all the conveniences that modern engineering can bestow like electricity, clean running water, sanitation - things that people from even 100years ago would find magical - but, put a necessary part of that infrastructure within 500 yards of them and their phoning Joe Duffy or onto their local Councillor.

****ing Clowns!

It's amazing the disparity in numbers between real life and internet forums - the amount of aggressive, abrasive, in your face hard men on-line and so seldom in real life. The difference of course being that when you tell someone to their face to Fck Off and live in a cave - you have to able to back it up or otherwise you're losing teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

They know that the louder they whinge, the more compo they get.

MadsL wrote: »
    Liberty hall is just 59 m. That's a big pylon.

Is there any evidence for that?

No i guess the world trade centre towers were just cleaver names.. no one wants to get on top of the empire state building to admire the view. Taipei World Financial Centre same oh and the big hotel in Dubai no thanks

This is the worst country i have lived in when it come to this kind of stuff wonder what a person from Norway/Germany would say about people complaining about needed infrastructure. Would they be complaining if they put high speed broadband up on posts for them ?

I have pylons running through the fields immediately surrounding my home. No big deal, believe me. I appreciate all the benefits.

What's this? Someone who lives near a pylon not suffering from a made-up ailment? :P

What's this? Someone who lives near a pylon not suffering from a made-up ailment? :P

Yeah odd people complaining about pylons and ailments I'm guessing they don't realise you have wiring in your house with electricity in it ? if electricity was the problem i would be worrying about it in my house not 500m away in a field.

Yeah odd people complaining about pylons and ailments I'm guessing they don't realise you have wiring in your house with electricity in it ? if electricity was the problem i would be worrying about it in my house not 500m away in a field.

The laptop on the lap, the phone in the pocket, the modem behind the chair, the TV 4 feet away, no, it's the pylon half a mile away :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gilmore-monster-pylons-must-comply-with-standards-249432.html

The proposed pylons would be 45m high and amount to 750 “monster” structures along a 250km route, warned the Tipperary South TD. “This infrastructure will blight the landscape for locals and visitors alike and will destroy our tourism industry.”

Have to laugh at this one. If the massive tourist industry in South Tipp and Carlow is "destroyed", it's not by pylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

It's amazing the disparity in numbers between real life and internet forums - the amount of aggressive, abrasive, in your face hard men on-line and so seldom in real life. The difference of course being that when you tell someone to their face to Fck Off and live in a cave - you have to able to back it up or otherwise you're losing teeth.
    Your seem confused between a 'Let them **** off and live in a cave attitude' as against an 'I'd tell them to **** off and live in a cave' statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Big hulabaloo down my way over pylons aswell which are planned to run from Campile to Dublin.Getting bombarded lately with flyers,facebook updates from anti-pylon groups.Personally I don't care,it's not as if they're going up in people's gardens.

They are needed as the country consumes more & more electricity but as usual the scaremongering wins out over common sense.
    Reminds me of the time the local radio station interviewed some nimby busybody who campaigned against a mobile phone mast on a hill (which was nowhere near her place) near Oulart.The interviewer ended the chat by asking was she in contact with the radio station via a mobile,of course she was.

Wherever there's progress in this country we have nimby's,one of the biggest housing estates in the town here is still waiting for eFibre due to one of these clowns.

Advertisement