Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best TV for the PS4?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

wes wrote: »
    I got a Sony TV a couple of weeks back from Power City, and I am sending in the 5 year warranty bonus in today, and it says the offer is only till the end of November. They may extend that, but I would check with Powercity, as if there not, then it may be worth getting the tv sooner for the 5 year warranty.

really? its highly unlikely that i can get the tv in november. more likely to be start of december :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

MarkY91 wrote: »
    really? its highly unlikely that i can get the tv in november. more likely to be start of december :(

Yeah, said it on my guarantee form. However, I think they usually extend these things, but taught I should mention it in case they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

PLasma all the way. Anyone that thinks an LED tv looks better should head over to Specsavers straight away. The only downside to plasma is the power they consume and that they have a glass front, which can be an issue if you are in a room which makes it prone to reflections. If you dont care about the higher electric bill, then prepare for silky goodness that is the plasma experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

PLasma all the way. Anyone that thinks an LED tv looks better should head over to Specsavers straight away. The only downside to plasma is the power they consume and that they have a glass front, which can be an issue if you are in a room which makes it prone to reflections. If you dont care about the higher electric bill, then prepare for silky goodness that is the plasma experience.

There are other negatives though and I have seen this with my GT60. I still think Plasma is better then Led though as it has better contrast, viewing angles, and motion flow :

1. Image retention - if you are lazy and freeze games a lot sometimes the hud can stay behind sometimes. Can last from a few hours to months. I was lucky with mine as the pixel orbiter cleared it up after an hour but some gt60 owners have not been so lucky.

2. Buzzing. Even the fanless ones have reports of buzzing. I have slight buzzing on mine but the pitch is not annoying.

3. Phosphor trailing during very fast motion. Not so much an issue for the GT60 but still there. Here is an example I found.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqJ8JOZ0mss

4. The fact the front is glass you can't transport it lying face up or down without risk of damage. Could be an issue for some people.

5. 50hz issue. LCD has inherent blurring which masks this issue. Plasma does not have blurring, but some 50hz material, specifically games which run at 30fps (and very often on panasonics who are not the best for handling 50hz) can exhibit this thing where you get double imaging. Doesn't actually happen on GT60 but did on my GT50. I found only games running at 60fps (far and few between on consoles) behaved themselves.

6. Plasma not really suited for sun drenched rooms.

7. As Plasma is not as bright as LCD tech, it contributes to LCD being better for 3D viewing where the brightness is usually lowered. I think Crosstalk is becoming a thing of the past on LED now.

I don't think transport is really a concern most people have. You can keep the box if you want to for future transporting needs.

Next gen consoles should have every game at 60 FPS anyway.

I've had a few plasma sets, none have any buzzing.

This whole burn in thing is greatly over exaggerated. In fact it was a problem a long time ago when they first came out, but now they have improved a lot. The reality is that you ought to be more careful when pausing games. Most likely the next gen will have a setting which turns on either a screensaver after a designated amount of time paused, or they will turn the screen off. Not a big deal at all. Image retention was much more of an issue on rear projection TVs than it ever was on plasmas.

The OP was asking about gaming on the PS4, so 3D movies were not what he asked about. 3D gaming is too taxing to have good frame rates, unless its a rubbish game, in which case why buy a PS4. 3D movies look rubbish on TVs at home, they just dont have the WOW! you get ion the cinema, so its just a bit of a gimmick. In fact I could go as far as to say that its a fad which is dying out already. The main reason for pushing 3D was to get people into the cinema and to offer an experience difficult for pirates to replicate. Now you can pirate 3D content just as easily as any other content, so its a dying dog just like the laserdisc was.

• Advertisement

I don't think transport is really a concern most people have. You can keep the box if you want to for future transporting needs.

Next gen consoles should have every game at 60 FPS anyway.

I've had a few plasma sets, none have any buzzing.

This whole burn in thing is greatly over exaggerated. In fact it was a problem a long time ago when they first came out, but now they have improved a lot. The reality is that you ought to be more careful when pausing games. Most likely the next gen will have a setting which turns on either a screensaver after a designated amount of time paused, or they will turn the screen off. Not a big deal at all. Image retention was much more of an issue on rear projection TVs than it ever was on plasmas.

The OP was asking about gaming on the PS4, so 3D movies were not what he asked about. 3D gaming is too taxing to have good frame rates, unless its a rubbish game, in which case why buy a PS4. 3D movies look rubbish on TVs at home, they just dont have the WOW! you get ion the cinema, so its just a bit of a gimmick. In fact I could go as far as to say that its a fad which is dying out already. The main reason for pushing 3D was to get people into the cinema and to offer an experience difficult for pirates to replicate. Now you can pirate 3D content just as easily as any other content, so its a dying dog just like the laserdisc was.

Not a hope of 60fps on every game for next gen consoles when high end pc's can't manage it on some titles with all the eye candy even at a miserable 1080p. Might happen down the road though. But the 50hz/30fps bug is a non issue on the latest Panasonics anyway. But it used be an issue that made some console games unplayable.

I agree 3D is a fad but games like Crysis and a few others are playable in 3D on the PS3 and may be an option on the PS4 (hardly rubbish games, though frame rate was probably pants). So it could be important to the OP. My point anyway was the lack of brightness on Plasmas can sometimes limit the usefulness of 3D.

I agree burn in is exaggerated and I never mentioned it. Image retention happens on EVERY plasma though. To a lesser degree now and even if you don't notice it right off, it's easy to create a situation where your set will suffer image retention, however mild. The GT60 for instance, if you use THX mode a lot of users got image retention even after running an Ansi checkerboard while calibrating after about 30 minutes. This was because pixel orbiter was disabled in that mode.

And buzzing is a common trait on plasmas, specifically the P51S Samsung series. Again, all on Avforums where people have returned "buzzers" and I have experienced this in a handful of Plasmas I've owned over the last 15 years. Even if I had not, others have so it's a risk you take when you buy plasma. That and noisy fans (they all get noisy eventually) on models like the VT series.

One I forgot to mention and it happened on the GT30 was that the brightness levels drop significantly over time as the set auto adjusts it's voltage to prolong it's life. This seems to be cured now and seemed to be only an issue on Panasonics.

I still standby the negatives of plasma that I have called out and every negative (bar maybe having to transport the thing standing up) is well documented on well regarded forums. The only one that really annoys me from time to time is phosphor trails which I know some people can't see. The others I can live with as it beats blurring and pants viewing angles, as well as poor contrast on LCD tech. However if you want something for every day use I think lcd is a safer bet. Not everyone can be "more careful" and not pause games or movies while they go out to make a cuppa or answer the phone. And not everyone watches in a mostly dark room. Because of this led is more flexible for more people. Plasma has better image quality. But lcd for most people is good enough image quality.

I think the OP should know the positives and negatives of both tech's rather than just saying straight out that plasma is better than lcd. It depends on your intended usage after all. And in the context of the OP's requirements I would say the Sony W series led would be better for gaming than Plasma given that it has lower input lag and it's image quality is good enough for gaming. This is documented on hdtvtest where the 42W653 beats out the GT60 and every other screen they tested.

Having said all of that, I need a 42 inch set for my PS4 and I am giving serious consideration to a 42GT60 if I can just get over my bad habits with pausing stuff. LOL.

Flaccus wrote: »

Having said all of that, I need a 42 inch set for my PS4 and I am giving serious consideration to a 42GT60 if I can just get over my bad habits with pausing stuff. LOL.

Pausing is cheating, haxxor!

Ive read several reports that they are determined to have 60FPS on next gen, if that means they have to make it 720 and turn off some SFX to achieve, they are going to do it. Whether that happens in reality of course could be altogether a different thing.

Im a little biased with tech because I will make sure I have a slightly darkened room for watching movies, if not totally blacked out. I have the seat where there are no reflections, and that means my OH has to watch at quite an angle, but as its plasma its not an issue.

LED/LCD have their place, thats for sure, but I think its suitable more more general viewing. They still cannot do black like plasma and without that depth, I just find LCD panels to appear slightly wishy washy and as a result the image has a flat quality to it.

I agree with many of your points though, and as a result plasma isnt for everyone. Just for perfectionists! :D

LOL. For perfectionists like us.

Anyway, if anyone wants a cheap Sony 32W653 which I paid 499 for in argos on the 18th August, I'm throwing it up on adverts tomorrow for 300 euro.....no dead/stuck pixels, backlight bleeding/flashlighting, or dirty screen effects which is always the risk you run with led, and of course in as new condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Cheers for all the replies. Yeah 3D gaming/Movies is not important but I will use it the odd time.

Input lag is an issue and I want to go with a 55"upgrading from my 42"

I'll also be gaming in a well lit room most of the time and it will be both natural and artificial light so in that sense Imight be better off going with the LED. Plus the 50 quid it saves me every year would be nice.

The price of the Sony W9 and W8 series is what makes them such good value for gaming IMO.

While Plasmas may look better in the dark for movies/games they are very expensive, and as I said I'm not a game in the dark type of guy!

How far would you recommend sitting away from a 55" set?

RoyalCelt wrote: »

According to this calculator its 7.5ft.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Cheers for all the replies. Yeah 3D gaming/Movies is not important but I will use it the odd time.

Input lag is an issue and I want to go with a 55"upgrading from my 42"

I'll also be gaming in a well lit room most of the time and it will be both natural and artificial light so in that sense Imight be better off going with the LED. Plus the 50 quid it saves me every year would be nice.

The price of the Sony W9 and W8 series is what makes them such good value for gaming IMO.

While Plasmas may look better in the dark for movies/games they are very expensive, and as I said I'm not a game in the dark type of guy!

What is the 42 inch you have? and are you selling it? In the market myself

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

I've decided to go with the SONYBRAVIA KDL42W653A at €620 delivered to Dublin and 5 Years Guarantee.

It was that or the Samsung F6500, but that was working out at over a €1000 with delivery and 5 year guarantee.

Having reasearched extensively, I found that these two TV's for are easily two of the best value for money gaming TV's on the market.

I wasn't too pushed by all the Smart/3D features, I don't believe I'd use them to warrant paying nearly 500 more for a slightly bigger set.

Input lag is not something that's ever bothered me before, but the Sony W6 series has some of the lowest out there.

Also spending only €600, leaves some savings for the HD131xe which will hopefully come down in the sales.

Only 10 days to PS4!

flynner13 wrote: »
    I've decided to go with the SONYBRAVIA KDL42W653A at €620 delivered to Dublin and 5 Years Guarantee.

im getting the exact same next week from richersounds too. cant wait :)

srumball wrote: »
    What is the 42 inch you have? and are you selling it? In the market myself

Toshiba. About 4 years old but it has a little black line up the middle barely noticeable. Think my Dad's going to take it for his bedroom anyway.

flynner13 wrote: »

It was that or the Samsung F6500, but that was working out at over a €1000 with delivery and 5 year guarantee.

Having reasearched extensively, I found that these two TV's for are easily two of the best value for money gaming TV's on the market.

I wasn't too pushed by all the Smart/3D features, I don't believe I'd use them to warrant paying nearly 500 more for a slightly bigger set.

Input lag is not something that's ever bothered me before, but the Sony W6 series has some of the lowest out there.

Also spending only €600, leaves some savings for the HD131xe which will hopefully come down in the sales.

Only 10 days to PS4!

If you had €2000 - €2500 to spend what would you have went with instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

I'm hoping my Samsung 46ES8000 will do the trick, my PS3 and Xbox games look good enough so on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Stuart085

beercr8te wrote: »
    I'm hoping my Samsung 46ES8000 will do the trick, my PS3 and Xbox games look good enough so on it.

That's an amazing TV

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Not a hope of 60fps on every game for next gen consoles when high end pc's can't manage it on some titles with all the eye candy even at a miserable 1080p

care to explain?
    You couldnt be more wrong.
    My PC can and its not the very high end and im playing above 1080.

20 years of pc building experience says otherwise. And I said some PC titles, not all titles manage 60fps/1080P. I also qualified my statement by saying 1080p with all the eye candy turned on. i.e. large amounts of AA, AF, max shadows etc.. What you are saying therefore is your PC which is not very high end can manage 60fps/1080P on every title with all the eye candy maxed out. You must post the spec, as I didn't think such a machine existed !

In other words - you can play games above 1080P on your high end PC (I presume 1440p, maybe even higer if running multiple screens); but "some" games will with current gen PC hardware not maintain a stable 60fps when all settings are maxed out. Even at 1080p. When you consider the AMD 7970 or NVDIAI GTX 780 which is regarded as high end can't manage a constant 60fps in Crysis 3 at 1080P with ALL the eye candy maxed out, I don't hold much hope for the consoles managing this either. At least on demanding games. I play above 1080P and I found I required 3 x Nvidia Titans to maintain anywhere close to 60fps in some of the games I play. Even at 1080P some games stuggled at 60fps with 1 gpu. Again, I am talking about playing these games with everything maxed out.

The PS4 is based roughly on AMD 7870 gpu tech which is already way behind mid range PC hardware. Launch games are being rendered at 720p to manage 60fps, and then upscaled to 1080p. Some are even 30fps (dead rising 3). As expected eventually some games will manage 1080P/60fps as developers get more familiar with the console and are able to optimize. But not all games will hit a constant 60fps/1080P. I would expect a mish mash of some games going to 1080P native but framerate locked to 30fps. While others might insist on 60fps and render at 720P. Again depends on how demanding the game is.

I take your point but in all honesty crysis 3 is about the only game where it holds true but i put it down to the engine more than anything else.
    Imo farcry 3 looks better than crysis 3 and runs a hell of a lot better.
    I misread where you said "some titles" my bad.

Regarding your thoughts on the consoles and 1080 @ 60 fps, i agree with you and personally think its laughable.

Granted BF4 on PS4 will hit 60 fps @ 900 but its running gfx settings similar to medium/high we see on PC settings and certainly not ultra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

MarkY91 wrote: »
    im getting the exact same next week from richersounds too. cant wait :)

They have this Tv in Powercity for €609 and five year warranty if you register within 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How about for someone with a limited budget? Anything about 32 inches would be fine but only really have €450, maybe €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

How about for someone with a limited budget? Anything about 32 inches would be fine but only really have €450, maybe €500.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/samsung-43-plasma-tv-ps43f4500awxxu.html

or this looks good and highly rated

http://www.powercity.ie/?pages=1&par=10-13-39F5300&accessories=1&aclass=20-75

The led's got more bells and whistles but the plasma is €80 cheaper.

They are a bit bigger than you stated ,this one is 32 inch and seems to be very highly rated on different sites

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32E6B&pages=1&prod=32E6B&brands=PANASONIC&image=

http://www.pixmania.ie/led-tv/lg-32ln5400-led-television/21489206-a.html

More than enough for a PS4.

ben101 wrote: »
    They have this Tv in Powercity for €609 and five year warranty if you register within 30 days.

yeah i know but i emailed them and the warranty offer ends at the end of the month. and i 95% cannot afford the tv until december 2nd :( bad luck on my part. ill be paying 650 including delivery and the 2.95% my mastercard charges.

edit: and richersounds has the 5 year guarantee with their store NOT sony so their guarantee offer doesnt end at the end of november so thats why theyre my choice. anyone looking to get the sony w6 should take into account of what i said aboe regarding the 5 year warranty offer ending next week..

I am in a dillemma right now.

I have the Sony 32w653 and no dead/stuck pixels or clouding of any kind. It as near perfect a set as I have seen. I use it with the Xbox 360 and soon the PS4 on a PC desk. Usually sit a couple feet back. I was considering relocating my "gaming environment" to a bigger room which has a dedicated tv stand......so the plan this weekend was to get a Sony 42 42w653 and sell the 32 on adverts.

I am thinking this is just one giant waste of cash as 2-3 feet from a 32 inch should be just as immersive as 6-8 feet away from a 42 inch which is where I would likely be sitting. The only benefit of the 42 inch is I could likely fit a decent soundbar at some stage, but then again a pair of 2.1's on the desk for the 32 would likely be as good if not better. I rather fancy these havng heard them in person but very pricey : http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q-acoustics-bt3-bluetooth-speakers.htm

I've also read a lot of stories over on AVforums where the quality of the W6 series seems to be variable, with some people on their 4th after they keep receiving models with stuck pixels. So I could just be making the situation worse on myself.

Bascially wondering if its worth upgrading from 32 to 42 considering I will change my viewing distance accordingly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

lads need opinions quick will this http://www.pixmania.ie/search/LG-42LN5400.html be good for the PS4? thinking of buying today

This guy likes the 47 inch version.
    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477665/lg-47ln5400-review

To be honest, I think any relatively new (last 3 years) LCD/LED will be grand for consoles. The differences only seem to matter betweeen models when you are interested in extra features or using it for movies where the quality can vary (specifically black levels, blurring in fast moving sports).

For games it does not matter so much (e.g. some pc gamers use IPS panels and they generally suck for black levels/movies)

You have to be careful about input lag if gaming is your primary use though. I think for most people anything under 45ms should be ok, and alot of sets can manage this in game mode.

Here is a review I found
    http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/lg/ln5400
    "The LG LN5400 LED TV has a good viewing angle and low input lag. However, its contrast is very low and it suffers from some noticeable motion blur. This TV is more suitable for a bright room due to its poor blacks. "

So a good gaming TV but average for an LED when watching movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I'm using a Sony Bravia KDL-55HX853. I hope the games make 1080p a lot of the time.

• Advertisement

buying a sony bravia 42KDLW653 on monday. then my precious ps4 on the friday :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement