Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best TV for the PS4?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Stuart085 wrote: »
    Na, my projector has a 18ms response time which is not noticable

reponse time and input lag are completely different things. Did you measure the input lag. Am looking at projectors so genuine question.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Almost all online tech sites agree that the SONY 2013 models have the best input lag and the best picture quality at good value when it comes to gaming. None of them recommend any Plasma's over the Sony/Samsung LED's but they all say the Sony W900A models just shade the Samsung equivalents.

By the sounds of it, it won't really make much difference which way you go and having seen the Samsung in the flesh compared to others such as Panasonic I can now confirm they look great. Just need to check out the Sony models so I can make the judgement for myself!

All the high end samsungs (F7000 and F8000) have DREADFUL in put lag, only mitigated by renaming the HDMI port to PC but it's still well over 45ms in most tests. That's why I recommend people get the F6500 or F6800 or lower end models which are generally under 35ms. Still not a touch on the Sony's sub 20ms lag.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I was in Arnotts today and they had OLED and 4k TV's for up to 8000€ so that's not an issue. I believe what you say and the Plasma's prob only stand out in the dark but I don't plan on getting severve eye strain so I'll be playing my PS4 and Blu Rays with the lights on! Plus the LED's will save money on my bills and the iput lag for games will be less!

I'd love an OLED but will obviously wait a few years and until they are suitable for gaming. I game in the dark but use bias lighting on the back of the tv. Helps improve black levels too. The Antec SoundScience hdtv bias lighting kit isn't have bad. They claim it's pro calibrated to 6500k color temp. Certainly makes a difference when watching movies or gaming.

http://www.antec.com/soundscience/hdtv-bias-lighting.php

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Stuart085

Flaccus wrote: »
    reponse time and input lag are completely different things. Did you measure the input lag. Am looking at projectors so genuine question.

I meant response time as input lag, the amount of time it takes the projector to render the video outputted by the Xbox, so when I press the button, the amount of time it takes for the projector to react

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Would be wary of getting a Panny plasma ,i'm pretty sure i read somewhere they are ceasing plasma production,unless you get a bargain if they reduce prices to get rid of old stock.I have an Optoma GT750 myself ,projectors won't break the bank and have supposedly better response times than most TV's .Doesn't have to be totally dark to watch either.I don't use mine a lot so will get years before bulb needs changing,if you are going to use it for more than 5-6 hours a day you would be better getting a TV as bulbs are expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

More I think about it more I might just stick with my PC monitor, since its a high spec LG, or I might just upgrade that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Isn't OLED burn in worse than Plasma burn in?
    I never hear anyone talking about it.

Whether it's burn in or retention is unknown yet. Also the input lag on the latest Samsung is very poor so not suitable for gaming. Combined with the high price and they are not 4k yet, it's a tech I won't touch for a while.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57598963-221/seven-problems-with-current-oled-televisions/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

higher end LCDs have ultra high contrast images with perfect blacks.

You could not be more wrong.

Why do people post on things they clearly know nothing about?

Drunkenmonkey is about the only one posting accurate information on the thread.

Own a 64F8500 plasma myself (the winner of the shootout posted previously), which is great (and reasonable imput lag) when running in pc mode. It's brightness levels are incredible for a plasma, but it's pricey at over 3k.

Personally, I think a Panasonic plasma is the way to go. ST series is excellent.

Go to HDTVtest and look up the reviews of David McKenzie. He reviews these tv's in a seriously comprehensive fashion. That really is the best way to judge.

daRobot wrote: »
    You could not be more wrong.

I think a Panasonic plasma is the way to go. ST series is excellent.
    Unless you get a bargain i would be cautious,they have stopped making plasma so that could be an issue.http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/31/5050038/panasonic-plasma-tv-production-end

• Advertisement

ben101 wrote: »
    Unless you get a bargain i would be cautious,they have stopped making plasma so that could be an issue.http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/31/5050038/panasonic-plasma-tv-production-end

While true, that doesn't really mean anything in the context of the OP's potential purchase.

It's under warranty for 5 years, and they'll continue to make parts to service existing models.

If you get a 5 yr guarantee i would def go for it ,some great prices for plasma out there at the moment.

>OP

I think the Samsung PS60E6500 would be ideal for you, providing you can track one down, as they're the previous model.

It's a phenomenal tv for gaming, superfast response, and incredibly resistant to screen burn. I gave mine to my folks when I upgraded to the F8500.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ps60e6500-ps51e6500-201207262022.htm

The Samsung plasmas of 2012 had 3 tiers- budget, mid, and premium. The model I've linked above was the mid range model, but had the same panel as the premium without some bells and whistles.

This year, plasma wise, there's only two options from Samsung: budget and premium.

The cheaper 2013 F5500 has an inferior panel to the 2012 e6500, but it's still good, but quite reflective (which could be annoying if you have a bright room). But at about 1k euro for the 60" it's very good value. Good for input lag too:

http://www.displaylag.com/introducing-2013s-best-hdtvs-for-gaming-part-1/

Finally, you mentioned that when you saw the Panasonic plasmas in the store, that they looked poor in comparison to lcd/led. This is the classic mistake that leads people to led purchases.

The lighting where you're viewing it, are not normal conditions whatsoever. Flourescent lights overhead, tv's side by side etc. They've got the led tv's cranked up on retina burning settings, that you'd never use anyway, and this makes the plasma (which isn't capable of going that bright) look really dim and washed out in comparision.

But get that dim looking plasma into your home in normal to dark'ish lighting conditions, and you'll see why they're the tv lovers choice. Accurate colours, uniformly lit screen, perfect motion, and inky blacks (which make so much of a difference you wouldn't believe)

Lcd's are fine for most of what people generally use them for. But if you're really into film, sports and gaming (as I am), plasma is your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Heres a thing
    with the launch of the ps4 and seeing it been played at the event
    what sony tvs were they using im sure with all the tech heads that work for ps they'd only supply the best tvs to play with the ps4
    incase tgey didnt look good and with the whole gaming world looking on im sure they did there research on whats better

so any ideas what sony tvs they used and we can put this to bed

its like the aerodynamics of a motor they actually pay engineers to come up with the angle of a spoiler and yet you see some idiot paying a few bob to put a shopping trolley spoiler on the car because in there Eyes it looks Awesome

just saying

Heres a thing
    what sony tvs were they using im sure with all the tech heads that work for ps they'd only supply the best tvs to play with the ps4
    incase tgey didnt look good and with the whole gaming world looking on im sure they did there research on whats better

its like the aerodynamics of a motor they actually pay engineers to come up with the angle of a spoiler and yet you see some idiot paying a few bob to put a shopping trolley spoiler on the car because in there Eyes it looks Awesome

just saying

Actually, it's because the PS3 is made by Sony and they are promoting their own products. It doesn't mean they are the best products.

Actually, it's because the PS3 is made by Sony and they are promoting their own products. It doesn't mean they are the best products.

Yeah I get that but its the best tv they make and use for the ps4
    I know there not going to go and get 100's of 4k 80inch sonys or samsung or whatever

but id like to know which sony they demo the ps4 on

the sony tv they use for demos and gameplay at the sony events
    if its good enough for them then its good enough for me
    not changing tvs for a while yet but when I do itll be sony

didn't they have a PlayStation tv at one stage what was the deal with that muck or what ???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Sony looks good because there's nothing to compare it to, stick it beside a a Panasonic Neo Plasma, Pioneer Kuro or the latest Samsug F's and you'll see how shoite led actually is. There's very few people in this thread know what an excellent picture quality is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I have a 50 inch Panny ST30 plasma in the sitting room. Have it since September 2012, got it for 680 as it was a display model.

Upstairs I have a Panasonic TX-L32E6B which is a LCD/LED TV. This if what I have my consoles hooked to. I'm getting a PS4 and must hook it to the plasma for a while until the girlfriend gives up and I have to bring it upstairs.

I agree with a lot of the previous posters. The plasma is seriously good for movies. Very natural which means that it may look duller in comparison to the LED TVs. I have a popcorn hour hooked to it and watch a load of films on it. Was watching Blade Runner bluray on it recently and it was excellent handling the mix of bright neon lights and dark, gloomy streets. The contrast and handling of blacks is brilliant.

Looks good too handling computer animated films. Watched Monsters University in 1080p recently and it looked lovely and bright.

Just noticed that it has a dedicated game mode too, not entirely sure what that does.

The LED TV is smashing too, has gotten a lot of awards this year.

All in all don't discount plasma, if you know anyone with one all to call around and watch a good Blu-ray on it, you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Is there any info on 1440p monitors from sony?

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    Is there any info on 1440p monitors from sony?

What would be the point? The games are 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

What would be the point? The games are 1080p

I meant any upscaling features or future resolution bump in games

Heres a thing

just saying

They were using Sony 42W653 sets....can be got for around 620 euro in Curry's or Argos. It's their mid-range set with a 50hz native refresh and 200hz image processing (which is turned off automatically in game mode) and has 15ms input lag and which puts it close to some of the best dedicated PC monitors. So easily their best set for gaming and probably the current best TV for gaming out there. There was no benefit to them demoing PS4 on their top of the line 805/905 as many of image processing features in these sets, while excellent for movies are a negative when it comes to gaming.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl42w653-201308113237.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

the sony W9 has the lowest lag input of any tv available along with the W8 and W6. its regarded as THE gaming tv of 2013

i am purchasing a 42" sony W6 in 3 weeks so ive been researching this stuff for a good few weeks now and the W6,W8,W9 are hand down winners.

close second is the panasonic E6 but i dont know if they go up to the inches youre looking for

They were using Sony 42W653 sets....can be got for around 620 euro in Curry's or Argos. It's their mid-range set with a 50hz native refresh and 200hz image processing (which is turned off automatically in game mode) and has 15ms input lag and which puts it close to some of the best dedicated PC monitors. So easily their best set for gaming and probably the current best TV for gaming out there. There was no benefit to them demoing PS4 on their top of the line 805/905 as many of image processing features in these sets, while excellent for movies are a negative when it comes to gaming.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl42w653-201308113237.htm

isnt the W6 about 850 in argos? im buying it from richersounds and getting it delivered all for 650..if i can get it just ax cheap in dublin then ill go that way

EDIT: wow..since when did they reduce it? i literally checked the website the other week and it was about 900. BARGAIN ALERT GUYS :D

They dropped it a while back and I think it was around 550 not so long ago too, and suddenly it went back up, but still a good price. Was on bargain alerts.

Anyway it's same price in Curry's at the moment, if you can't get one in Argos and don't mind buying from Curry's
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/SONY-BRAVIA-KDL42W653-Smart-42andrdquo-LED-TV/318126/6.9.3

I was in there today with a friend looking at a 46 inch 905 and he was about to buy (over 1600 euro) except the sale guy kept insisting on the extended warranty and once he got past that it was the hdmi cables....ps4 wont work properly unless you go with a 60 euro hdmi cable nonsense. He would not take no for an answer. Needless to say he lost the sale.

I'm actually going to put my 32inch W6 up on adverts soon as I just moved my setup into a bigger room and want the 42 inch version :)

By the way the ONLY difference between the W653 and W654 is the colour of the bezel...653 is carbon/black colour, 654 is silver. That's all.

By the way the ONLY difference between the W653 and W654 is the colour of the bezel...653 is carbon/black colour, 654 is silver. That's all.

ridicilous how the 654 is a little bit dearer huh? i would have went for the 654 if it was the same price. but black is great too.

powercity has a "bonus warranty" where if you sign up(they didnt mention where) you get 5 years warranty. so im going to buy the W653 from there in 2-3 weeks time

Let us know how you get on buddy
    good luck with the purchase

The Sony looks good because there's nothing to compare it to, stick it beside a a Panasonic Neo Plasma, Pioneer Kuro or the latest Samsug F's and you'll see how shoite led actually is. There's very few people in this thread know what an excellent picture quality is.

I had a Samsung UE46F8000 before I bought my Panasonic 50 inch GT60, and couldn't get on with the Samsung. The 8000 is notorious for clouding/spotlighting and the colours to my eyes are oversaturated. It also had desperate desperate input lag, even when set to game mode and the hdmi input label renamed to PC. So it was a choice between the Sony 905 or the GT60. The Sony was way to expensive so I ended up buying a GT60 and not regretted it since. The only thing the Sony is better at is 3D and obviously usage in a bright room. But I watch everything in a very dimly lit room anyway.

As regards the Sony W6 which I bought for gaming, the only Samsung I think that is comparable for gaming in the F series is the F6800 or 6500, but it still has twice as much input lag. But most won't notice 34ms compared to 15ms I think. Image quality wise, perhaps the Samsung is slightly better but to my eyes the F6800/6500 (native 100hz), and F7000 and F8000 (native 200hz) all suffer from judder due to their funky motion interpolation (CMR between 400hz and 1000hz depending on set) which I believe is undefeatable. The W6 turns motion interpolation off (Motion Flow 200hz) automatically in game mode so it's operating as a native 50hz panel. In fact there is no way to turn it on or off manually as it's controlled by what scene you select; unlike the more upmarket W8 and W9 which give you full control over it. Then again it's pointless for gaming.

I'm now looking at replacing my 32 inch W6 with a 42 inch W6.

What do you guys think is the minimum distance for gaming on a 42 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

MarkY91 wrote: »
    powercity has a "bonus warranty" where if you sign up(they didnt mention where) you get 5 years warranty. so im going to buy the W653 from there in 2-3 weeks time

I got a Sony TV a couple of weeks back from Power City, and I am sending in the 5 year warranty bonus in today, and it says the offer is only till the end of November. They may extend that, but I would check with Powercity, as if there not, then it may be worth getting the tv sooner for the 5 year warranty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement