Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I love these Studio outtakes ... I would enjoy a full album of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,224 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

'Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever' - the absolute pinnacle of British pop music. :)

'Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever' - the absolute pinnacle British pop music. :)

100%

The British Record Buying Public preferred Engelbert, who kept it off Number One :rolleyes:

Loving this programme.

Should have been longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,271 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hey Skid, are you sure that Dusty prog is on BBC and not Sky Arts or something? Not showing up on my Freesat boxes :(

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Hey Skid, are you sure that Dusty prog is on BBC and not Sky Arts or something? Not showing up on my Freesat boxes :(

Ah, sorry about that.

You're right, it's on Sky Arts.

My mistake.

• Advertisement

Paul played 'She's Leaving Home' on piano to Brian Wilson whilst he was recording the follow-up to 'Pet Sounds' and said 'you'd better get a move on!'

*thumbs up*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

'Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever' - the absolute pinnacle of music. :)

Changed that a bit.

Turns out I'm gonna have to watch this on Friday anyway, there's too much going on.

The Quiet One brings World Music to a western audience with one song.

Cosmic :cool:

The weird thing about She's Leaving Home is that Paul had actually met the girl in question, but he wasn't aware of that
    Four years earlier, on October 4th, 1963, thirteen-year-old Melanie had actually met Paul during the filming of the hit British television show “Ready Steady Go.” Melanie competed with three other contestants in a miming competition for the program, this episode being the first time The Beatles appeared on the show. Paul was recruited to judge the competition and he picked Melanie as the winner. “Paul McCartney came over and shook my hand and gave me a Beatles album, which was the greatest thing that could happen to any little teenage girl.
    http://www.beatlesebooks.com/shes-leaving-home

Skid X wrote: »
    The weird thing about She's Leaving Home is that Paul had actually met the girl in question, but he wasn't aware of that

http://www.beatlesebooks.com/shes-leaving-home

Wow. I did not know that.

Good old Within You Without You. Groundbreaking, sure. But nobody rejoiced more than Beatles fans when CD players and their "next" button arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Good old Within You Without You. Groundbreaking, sure. But nobody rejoiced more than Beatles fans when CD players and their "next" button arrived.

No Donie, no!
    Love a bitta sitar..
    Jonny greenwood of Radiohead's Junun is a great watch for anyone remotely interested in Indian music..

The most amazing thing about Sgt Pepper is that it arrived in the time of psychedelia. Which was humanity's darkest hour.

So, y'know, that makes it extra good.

The best thing about Sgt.Pepper is that no two songs sound the same :)

I assume there will be no 50th. Anniversary celebrations of 'Their Satanic Majesty's Request' :pac: :D

No other album could claim to have been influenced by Cage, Stockhausen and, in the case of 'When I'm Sixty-Four', George Formby :D

UsedToWait wrote: »
    No Donie, no!
    Love a bitta sitar..
    Jonny greenwood of Radiohead's Junun is a great watch for anyone remotely interested in Indian music..

Hey, sitar is super awesome, even if I know nothing about it except it looks super hard to play.

But Within You Without You...well...it's a matter of taste, I guess...

I really must watch Howard Goodall's History of Music through to the end, he has a great talent of explaining whats going on under the bonnet.

Also, BBC2 or BBC4 should be repeating this

Gay Byrne makes an appearance on Sky Arts interviewing The Beatles!

Skid X wrote: »
    I really must watch Howard Goodall's History of Music through to the end, he has a great talent of explaining whats going on under the bonnet.

Also, BBC2 or BBC4 should be repeating this

I believe I'm on record quite a few times saying just that.

Less Country at the BBC, more Howard Goodall.

Or less Howdy y'all, more Howie Goodall.

I believe I'm on record quite a few times saying just that.

Less Country at the BBC, more Howard Goodall.

Or less Howdy y'all, more Howie Goodall.

I concur with my eloquent learned friend

Gay Byrne makes an appearance on Sky Arts interviewing The Beatles!

Ha, I just saw that!

Ignore the Youtube title, this was on Granada.

Gay did very well over there, he might have stayed but Telifis Eireann made him a very good offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭OldRio

The most amazing thing about Sgt Pepper is that it arrived in the time of psychedelia. Which was humanity's darkest hour.

So, y'know, that makes it extra good.

Sorry but Piper at the Gates of Time by Pink Floyd was also released in 67 and for me is utterly incredible.
    But if everyone had the same taste in art, life would be much more boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,271 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Right up there with the Holocaust and the Black Death :confused:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

OldRio wrote: »
    Sorry but Piper at the Gates of Time by Pink Floyd was also released in 67 and for me is utterly incredible.
    But if everyone had the same taste in art, life would be much more boring.

Heh.

I was more referring to the San Franciso summer of love 'orrible spotty teenagers (as George Harrison called them).

But yeah, of course, it'd be rubbish if everyone just liked all the same stuff.

Even Phil Collins has his place (Switzerland).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭OldRio

Here is food for thought. 'Are you experienced' by Hendrix was released in 67 as well.

Unbelievable when you think of it. Who the hell was creating that type of music before him. I mean it's pretty damn extreme for some people today, but in 1967?Amazing.

Right up there with the Holocaust and the Black Death :confused:

I know, right?

Dark times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

Harsh, but true. Mind you, George had already gone in that direction on Revolver with Love You To - a better song. Within You Without You just lacks melody for me. I prefer Revolver as an album to Pepper as welll. It may not have been as groundbreaking or diverse ( though it was no slouch in either of those Departments) but it's a stronger set of songs in my view.

Hi, a rare chance to see the late Frank Kelly (aka Father Jack) on TOTP this week. Joe Fagin also appears - when I saw his name on the Auf Wiedhersehen Pet Credits back in the day I thought it was the Liverpool Manager doing a side gig. Ah well. Not one, but two appearances by Merle Haggard this week gives me the opportunity to ask - what does Merle Haggard have in common with William Shakespeare? Answer down below ...

Thursday
    7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1984 - January 5th (BBC4) 20th Anniversary Show!
    John Peel and Kid Jensen host the 20th anniversary edition of the music show, first broadcast on January 5, 1984, featuring Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Rod Stewart, Status Quo, Frank Kelly, Slade and the Flying Pickets, as well as archive footage of artists to have appeared over the years. Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=653476&id=5857779&lid=7

11.35pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    RTÉ's signature music show celebrating emerging talents continues as songwriter, vocalist and guitarist Glen Hansard, English rapper Little Simz, and Texas-based Americana star Shakey Graves perform. Plus, Cork-born musician Eoin French, better known as Talos, puts in an appearance in the IMRO Other Room

12.40am Arena: American Epic - Out Of The Many The One (BBC4)
    Repeat of last week's show

1am Frank Sinatra: A Man and His Music (Sky Arts)
    A 1967 TV special in which the singer is joined by jazz singer Ella Fitzgerald and bossa nova legend Antonio Carlos Jobim

1.40am Southern Rock at the BBC (BBC4)
    Repeat of last week's show

Friday
    7.30pm & 1am Top Of The Pops 1984 - January 12th (BBC4)
    Mike Read and Steve Wright introduce performances by the Icicle Works, Howard Jones, Shakin' Stevens and Bonnie Tyler, Roland Rat, Snowy White, Lionel Richie, Joe Fagin and Paul McCartney. Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=653476&id=5857780&lid=7

8pm Isle of Wight Festival 2017 (Sky Arts)
    Edith Bowman, Maya Jama and Ricky Wilson present live coverage from Seaclose Park, where French DJ David Guetta is due to headline the Main Stage tonight. Coverage continues all weekend https://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-arts/isle-of-wight-festival/episodes/season-1/episode-1
    http://isleofwightfestival.com/

9pm & 1.35am The Summer of Love: How Hippies Changed The World (BBC4) New!
    The first of a two-part documentary recounting the 1967 coming-together that would change the world. The film traces the roots of the hippies to a 19th-century German sect of wandering naturalists that brought its freethinking ideas to California after the Second World War. There it merged with people expressing an interest in Eastern mystical concepts of human nature expounded by thinkers like Aleister Crowley and Aldous Huxley. Added to the mix was the CIA-developed drug LSD and a wave of student activists and anti-war protestors. The outcome was San Francisco's Summer of Love [Don't know if there's any music in this, to be honest]

10pm & 2.35am Sgt Peppers Musical Revolution with Howard Goodall (BBC4) Repeat of The Week!
    The composer explores why the Beatles' 50-year-old album is still revered as an innovative, revolutionary and influential release. With the help of out-takes, studio conversations between the band and never-heard-before outside of Abbey Road, Howard gets `under the bonnet' of the album, taking the music apart and reassembling it to reveal how it works. Producer George Martin and his team constructed the album sound by sound, layer by layer - a formula that became the norm for just about every rock act who followed

11pm Arena: American Epic - The Sessions (BBC4)
    Elton John, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Alabama Shakes, Jack White, Nas, Ana Gabriel, Beck, Los Lobos and Steve Martin are among the modern artists who test their skills against the demands of the recording machine that literally made American music. There are no edits, no overdubs, and no retakes, and the disc only allows for three minutes of recording time. Despite these limitations, today's recordings for American Epic have one advantage - the freshly recorded sound is crystal clear and of an astonishing depth, transporting listeners vividly into the past - and the future. Narrated by Robert Redford. Last in the series

11.20pm Willie and Merle Up Close and Personal - Inside Arlyn (BBC2) RTE1 New!
    Recorded in Austin's historic Arlyn Studios, this special programme documents country music legends Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard's final moments together both in studio and on stage

12.15am Manic Street Preachers: Escape From History (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of the band's acclaimed 1996 album Everything Must Go, which was recorded in the wake of the disappearance of lyricist and guitarist Richey Edwards

1.55am Discovering Music: Foo Fighters (Sky Arts)
    Formed in 1994 in Seattle, Washington, the Foo Fighters have become one of the most successful alternative rock bands. With ex-Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl as their frontman, the group have won numerous Grammy Awards with their brand of post-grunge rock. This documentary traces their rise, from their self-titled debut album, consisting solely of Dave Grohl's solo recordings, to their sell-out tours, award-winning albums and near-break-ups

Saturday
    Featuring Arcade Fire and others

10.25pm Top Of The Pops 1984 - January 5th (BBC4)
    Same as Thursday

11.05pm Top Of The Pops 1984 - January 12th (BBC4)
    Same as Friday

11.40pm & 3.10am Metal at the BBC (BBC4)
    A compilation of memorable heavy-metal performances from BBC shows, including Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Motorhead

12.15am Oasis: Live at Barrowlands (2001) (Sky Arts)
    A 2001 concert by the band in Glasgow, featuring performances of songs including Go Let It Out, Supersonic, Live Forever, Roll with It and Cigarettes & Alcohol

12.20am Dolly: Queen of Country (TV3)
    A profile of celebrated country and western singer Dolly Parton, whose string of accolades includes eight Grammy Awards, 10 Country Music Association gongs, and seven more from awards from the Academy of Country Music. The programme charts her career to date, which has seen her release international chart-topping tunes such as the 1981 hit Nine to Five, and Islands in the Stream, her duet with Kenny Rogers

12.10am Britain's Most Dangerous Songs: Listen to the Banned (BBC4)
    The stories of 10 songs, dating from the 1930s to the present day, that were considered unsuitable by the BBC for broadcasting on its radio and television stations. Tunes include My Little Stick of Blackpool Rock by George Formby to the Sex Pistols' God Save the Queen, though it is perhaps surprising that Bing Crosby and the Munchkins are among the other performers on the list. The reasons why these records were censored reveals much of the changing controversies around youth culture. Contributors include Carrie Grant, Paul Morley, Stuart Maconie, Glen Matlock, Mike Read and Jon Robb

1.10am More Dangerous Songs: And the Banned played on (BBC4)
    A compilation of songs previously banned from broadcast on the BBC, including the Kinks' Lola, Jackie by Scott Walker, and (We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thing by Heaven 17

2.05am Spandau Ballet Reformation Tour (2009) (Sky Arts)
    The band perform at London's O2 nearly 20 years after they split up, featuring hits To Cut a Long Story Short, Highly Strung, Through the Barricades, Gold and True

2.10am Meat Loaf: In and Out of Hell (BBC4)
    A profile of the rock star's life and career, reflecting on the music that propelled him to fame and charting his journey from an overweight, bullied child to his larger-than-life persona and icon status. Featuring an interview and performance by the singer, as well as backstage footage from a Las Vegas concert. The film also revisits the Dallas of Meat Loaf's early years and includes insights from high school friends who reveal where the unusual moniker really came from

Sunday
    Rod Stewart and Others

12.15am Joe Cocker: Mad Dog With Soul (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the rise of the singer, a gas fitter playing in Sheffield pubs who was catapulted to stardom following a spectacular appearance at Woodstock in 1969

3.45am Elvis: A Legend In Concert (Sky Arts)
    A collection of the star's early TV appearances, featuring hits including Tutti Frutti, Love Me and Blue Suede Shoes, as well as a duet with Frank Sinatra. The programme also includes footage from his 1956 performance on The Milton Berle Show, where his pelvic gyrations caused uproar, and an appearance from later that year on The Steve Allen Show - where the host came up with a unique solution to counteract the singer's supposedly threatening sexuality

... They both died on their Birthdays.

Hope there's something up there to interest you, watch out for programme variations on the BBC if the Election gets messy.

Best James Bond Intro of the Weekend is a toss up between Roger's debut in Live and Let Die (RTE2, Saturday 7pm) and Alan Partridge's Commentary on The Spy Who Loved Me (GOLD, Sunday 11pm)

Tom Dunne on Newstalk Drive there. Talking about Glenn Campbell.

I think he just said Witchitah Linesman, which I enjoyed immensely.

Then they played Parachute, which I absolutely maitain is one of the best (if not the best) Irish songs ever written.

• Advertisement

Frankie's 'Relax' at number 35.

Shame, it had all the makings of a big hit :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement