Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,238 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

cml387 wrote: »
    It's on far too early for me on a Saturday morning.
    Cannot understand why they did that.
    And Dermot O'Leary was perfect for the afternoon.
    Why go changing things. Us oldies like things the same.
    Mutter mutter grouchy grouchy grouchy.

Absolutely no disrespect to Blackburn (you know what you're going to get with his show), but there was absolutely no need to change a recognisably popular show.

It appears a lot of behind-the-scenes shenanigans went down just to accommodate Zoe Ball :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Absolutely no disrespect to Blackburn (you know what you're going to get with his show), but there was absolutely no need to change a recognisably popular show.

It appears a lot of behind-the-scenes shenanigans went down just to accommodate Zoe Ball :(

I like Zoe, TBH. :o

But yes, there was absolutely no need for any of these changes. And why wasn't it possible for Tone to return to Pick of the Pops in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

cml387 wrote: »
    It's on far too early for me on a Saturday morning.
    Cannot understand why they did that.
    And Dermot O'Leary was perfect for the afternoon.
    Why go changing things. Us oldies like things the same.
    Mutter mutter grouchy grouchy grouchy.

I'd agree with you, there was no need to change the Saturday schedule as it stood because it was working fine. I've read various reports on the whole Brian Matthews episode and I have to say that it was very badly handled. The BBC have a bad history of making a complete mess of things like this.

I presume that they had to bring back Blackburn and keep him sweet in case he sued them for a fortune? The whole thing stinks, given the things that were said by both parties at the time. Anyway, I don't want to get into that here.

With Tony Blackburn, you can nearly predict the songs he's going to play as he keeps playing the same ones on every show he does. In general terms, he plays the same standards that everyone is sick of hearing from between, say, 1965-79 and possibly a couple of tunes from the early 80's which are shoehorned in to "make it modern". Like a lot of DJ's his age, music seems to have stopped for him around 1985.....

Really??? Is Zoe Ball even that good or any different to anyone else on their roster??? She always stuck me as being bland and average to be honest. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

BandMember wrote: »
    Really??? Is Zoe Ball even that good or any different to anyone else on their roster??? She always stuck me as being bland and average to be honest. :confused:

I don't think anyone can disagree that Zoe isn't and probably never will be as good as Brian, Tone, Gambo, Whispering Bob, Johnnie Walker, the late Desmond Carrington or even Ken Bruce.

However, I'd still put her above Fearne Cotton. With the very greatest of respect, Fearne's had the easiest journey out of all of them... :o:o:o;)

(No sexism intended, BTW.)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hi there, like Bob's Country Bunker BBC Four has both kinds of music this weekend - Country and Western. If you are into that sort of thing it'll probably be great. A few Irish programmes around the schedules but not The Commitments surprisingly. I saw the Musical a while back, I enjoyed it apart from Curly Watts who was meant to be Jimmy Rabbitte's Dad. He was dreadful - Colm Meaney would be turning in his grave, if he was dead ...

Thursday
    7.30pm & 1.30pm Top of The Pops 1983 - May 19th
    Simon Bates and Gary Davies present music from May 19, featuring D Train, Blancmange, The Beat and Wham! Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=479822&id=5857696&lid=7

9pm The Dubliners Live from Vicar Street (TG4)
    Recorded in 2006 and introduced by Jim McCann, the folk band are joined by Patsy Watchorn

11.25pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    The programme comes from Austin and features music by Willie Nelson, Margo Price, Cage the Elephant, Sweet Spirit and Dale Watson

Friday (St Patrick's Day)
    7.30pm & 12.30am - Top of The Pops 1983 - May 26th
    Peter Powell and Pat Sharp introduce performances by Big Country, Hot Chocolate, the Police, New Edition and Forrest. First shown on 26 May 1983. Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=479822&id=5857697&lid=7

9pm & 1am Rich Hall's Countrier Than You New!
    The American comedian, writer and musician explores the early origins of country music in Nashville and Austin. He visits the rustic studios where this much-loved sound was born and discovers how this genre of music has reinvented itself with influences from bluegrass, western swing and Americana. Rich examines how the music industries differ between these two cities and how they generated their own distinct twist on the genre - such as cosmic country, redneck country and the outlaw artists of the 1970s

10.30pm & 2.35am The Shires:New Country New!
    How country group the Shires have spearheaded an interest in the genre in the UK, becoming the first British country group to have a top 10 album in the pop charts. This documentary follows Ben Earle and Crissie Rhodes as they launch their second album, My Universe, and head on a working trip to Nashville to be signed by the leading country label Big Machine Records. They also play legendary club the Bluebird, where the performances from the TV series Nashville are filmed, and meet Big Machine's founder Scott Borchetta, who discovered Taylor Swift

12.25am The Pogues and The Dubliners (TG4)
    David Heffernan presents footage of the Pogues and the Dubliners in session with former Clash frontman Joe Strummer

1.30am Shane MacGowan: A Wreck Reborn (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the restoration of the Pogues frontman's teeth and shedding light on the lifestyle that led to their dismal state of repair. The hope is that the dental reconstruction will bring back his old singing voice and MacGowan tests out his new gnashers with a performance of Christmas anthem Fairytale of New York

Saturday
    10pm Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me (Sky Arts)
    Documentary following the country star and his wife Kim on tour across America as he battles Alzheimers, featuring contributions by Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney and Bill Clinton

11pm Top of The Pops 1983 - May 19th
    Same as Thursday

11.10pm RTE Choice Music Prize 2017 (RTE2)
    Blathnaid Treacy presents live from the music award show, taking place on Dublin's Vicar Street, and featuring performances by some of this year's nominees. As ever, the 12th annual ceremony is intended to celebrate and acknowledge the best of Irish-recorded music, and this year the shortlist for Album of the Year features nominations for All Tvvins, Bantum, Wallis Bird, The Divine Comedy, Lisa Hannigan, Katie Kim, James Vincernt McMorrow, Rusangano Family, We Cut Corners and Overhead, the Albatross

11.35pm Top of The Pops 1983 - May 26th
    Same as Friday

Midnight Soundstage: Wille Nelson (Sky Arts)
    A 2010 concert by the American country singer in which he and his eight-piece band perform songs including Trouble In Mind, Whiskey River, Drinking Champagne and Dark as A Dungeon

Midnight Two programmes by Neil Se#/$a
    BBC Four Why?! Why!!

1.10am Johnny Cash A Legend In Concert (Sky Arts)
    A selection of early recordings by the country star, featuring performances of Five Feet High and Rising, I Got Stripes and Don't Take Your Guns to Town

1.45am Kinds of 70s Romance
    Lesley Joseph narrates a documentary celebrating unlikely sex symbols from the world of pop in the 1970s, when the songs of Gilbert O'Sullivan, Barry White, Leo Sayer, David Soul and Demis Roussos conjured up images of candle-lit dinners, red roses and cosy nights in. Featuring contributions by Gloria Hunniford and Martha Kearney

2.45am Sings Bacharach and David!
    Archive performances of songs penned by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, featuring artists including Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, the Carpenters, Sandie Shaw and the Stranglers. The programme also features Bacharach himself performing alongside Rufus Wainwright on Later with Jools Holland

Sunday
    10.30pm Guth: The Smiths (TG4)
    Investigating what life was like in Manchester for members of indie band the Smiths, who are descended from Irish immigrants, and how their ancestry influenced their music. The group's songs struck a chord with an entire generation, and they were strongly aware of their roots, which is evident in singer Morrissey's solo single Irish Blood English Heart

11.35pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Same as Thursday

And that is more or less that, Johnny Cash up there on Sky Arts, if you're thinking "that's all very well but I really want to see him in a film playing an alcoholic Pool Hustler trying to turn his life around" then you won't want to miss The Baron and The Kid (True Movies, Friday 11am or on Youtube in full)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Nice one again, Skid.

That Rich Hall show looks well worth a watch. In fact, I'm gonna set a gosh darn reminder on my phone.

Edit: I hope it features The Good Ole Boys at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yay Rich Hall and his E-nunci-AYSHUN, always enjoy his docs, unless it's one I don't like.

That blonde dancer in the audience is either on a pedestal or really, really tall :)

Great cover version :)

When I were a lad, I put t'shuttlecock down t'shorts...

• Advertisement

You could sense the tension with The Police there...just as well 'Every Breath You Take' flopped :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

You could sense the tension with The Police there...just as well 'Every Breath You Take' flopped :pac:

Great doc on the Police, Andy Sumners' Surviving the Police..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QAtOXEGJZm0

Just watching, for the first time, The Beatles Anthology video
    Absolutely essential..

Nice bit of a Dubliners concert on TV3 right now, recorded in Vicar's st. Been on since 9pm but you'll catch it on TV3+1 @ 10pm.

Last chance to see Pat Sharp presenting TOTP tomorrow ... he did one more after that with Savile, that's been nuked obviously.

I think he only Presented 4 times ... until he made a triumphant return to co-host the final regular TOTP 23 years later in 2006! Must have made a big impression to have been given that honour

http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/trivia/presenters/list5.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5228858.stm

Pat Sharp opting for the 'Princess Di' cut :)

Big Country...YAH!!

I think Man U will go on to win 4-0 :)

I think Man U will go on to win 4-0 :)

Gordon Smith should have won it on the Saturday, but he didn't.

Summers and Copeland look as if they want to punch Sting :O

'Candy Girl' - fine tune :D

Oooooo-wee! :D

True isn't Number One any more!

Apparently it was inspired by Clare Grogan of Altered Images/Red Dwarf/Father Ted/Gregory's Girl

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2012/may/14/how-we-made-true-spandau-ballet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

squeakier than I remember

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

'Candy Girl' - fine tune :D

Oooooo-wee! :D

Aye, cracking tune.

Bobby Brown, where did it all go wrong? :(

Bobby Brown would later be tempted by another sweet treat...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,281 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Due to family circumstances (my six year old has gotten into the TOTP reruns - and doesn't appreciate my watching them independently) I'm a few weeks behind - still though the band we all liked to laugh at, Kajagoogoo, actually had a great song in "Ooh to be ah (jet setter)" I really enjoyed that one.

ABBA doing "Under Attack" was rather sad, looked and felt as if they were going through the last contractual motions. They really looked like two divorced couples who could barely stand each other...

Culture Club - great! The slagging they got at the time from critics - I can only assume it was prejudice, they made great music. Boy George is an anglo-Irish legend.

And of course we had the little known non-album single "The other side of love" by Yazoo, I only barely remembered the chorus it got little airplay. Fantastic pop song, and Vince Clarke is a musical genius.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Skid X wrote: »
    True isn't Number One any more!

Apparently it was inspired by Clare Grogan of Altered Images/Red Dwarf/Father Ted/Gregory's Girl

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2012/may/14/how-we-made-true-spandau-ballet

wow didn't know that, Clare stole many a young man's heart back in the 80's mine included :)

Ooh Claire Grogan, she stole my heart and many others the lovely wee thing :)

This was the best TOTP intro, without a doubt.

Apologies for the 2 seconds of insufferable cnut at the end.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Doesn't really make sense if you haven't seen the full movie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Just watching Pogues, Dubs and Joe Strummer on TG4.

Thanks Skid. Much better than the 25+ year old VHS tape I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

sligojoek wrote: »
    Just watching Pogues, Dubs and Joe Strummer on TG4.

Thanks Skid. Much better than the 25+ year old VHS tape I have.

I had an Irish only YouTube night, finished by Rattle and Hum, for the day that's in it :)

• Advertisement

Nearly 60 years since this video. How things have changed

RIP Chuck Berry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement