Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

Off topic so apologies, but Brian Mathews is doing his last Sound Of The Sixties on Radio 2 at the moment.

cml387 wrote: »
    Off topic so apologies, but Brian Mathews is doing his last Sound Of The Sixties on Radio 2 at the moment.

we should actually change the thread title because there's loads of oldie music people here who would only be too glad to know that :D

thanks for letting us know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Programme called "The Secret Science of Pop" on BBC Four (Tuesday, 9pm)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08gk664
    Evolutionary biologist Professor Armand Leroi believes data science can transform the pop world. He gathers a team of scientists and researchers to analyse over 50 years of UK chart music. Can algorithms find the secret to pop success?

Sounds like a load of bollix, music is an art not a science.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Skid X wrote: »

Evolutionary biologist Professor Armand Leroi believes data science can transform the pop world. He gathers a team of scientists and researchers to analyse over 50 years of UK chart music. Can algorithms find the secret to pop success?

Or just buy this... :D

410ACVVCF2L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

In an ideal world, Skid.

But pop producers aren't really interested in an ideal world.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    In an ideal world, Skid.

But pop producers aren't really interested in an ideal world.

In an ideal world, we'd be free to choose,

In an ideal world, you can bet we're gonna lose ...

Bit confused as to why doesn't your man write pop songs and clean up if he thinks it's so easy?

Time for Aerosmith live on Sky Arts :)

Love In An Elevator...ah yeah :D

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    And Pino Palladino on bass. Is there any 80's record he hasn't played on?!

He also played with Nine Inch Nails on their last album :O :D

I was reading about this in one of the papers over the weekend. Apparently he'll claim that the Beatles didn't have that much of an impact on pop music.

• Advertisement

I was reading about this in one of the papers over the weekend. Apparently he'll claim that the Beatles didn't have that much of an impact on pop music.

Yeah, you could analyse bits of data and argue pretty much anything. It doesn't mean your claim stands up in totality.

I'd be very sceptical of his claims. But I might watch to see if he has anything interesting to say.

Paul Gambaccini tells it like it is
    Gambo wrote:
    This is preposterous. Any suggestion that the Beatles weren’t influential is completely ridiculous.
    Professor Leroi strikes me as a scientist who doesn’t know music. I would happily go head-to-head with him in any public forum and I would dissect him like a fly.

The Beatles were the most important musical figures of the 20th Century. And if Prof Leroi is calling Strawberry Fields Forever and I Am The Walrus ‘ditties’, I would like to hear his nursery rhymes!
    The Beatles made more breakthroughs than any other artists, including the first use of guitar feedback on a record and slowed down, spliced together tapes.
    They changed pop music more than anyone else.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4260212/Top-scientist-insists-Beatles-no-influence-pop.html

Hello, hello, hope you're feeling fine. Not a whole lot this weekend, to be honest although TOTP looks decent enough with the 997th and 998th editions this week. We won't get to see the Big 1000th special alas. I didn't think much of that Science of Pop programme in the end, its on again if you want to see for yourself ...

Thursday
    7.30pm &12.50am Top of The Pops 1983 - April 14th
    Gary Davies and Andy Peebles present music from April 14, including Eurythmics, Kajagoogoo, Bauhaus, Kissing the Pink, Sunfire, David Bowie and Sweet Dreams Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=479822&id=5857690&lid=7

11.25pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Margaret Glaspy, Girl Band, Caoimhin & Cormac, Fangclub and Rusangano Family perform on the music show

1.20am Sounds of The Eighties
    Showcasing a selection of musical performances from the BBC archives, including Eurythmics, Spandau Ballet, Phil Collins, Fine Young Cannibals, Tears for Fears, Suzanne Vega and Simply Red

1.45am Sound of Song
    Ep 2/3 Reeling and Rocking Musician Neil Brand explores the elements that come together to make classic songs by recreating some of the most famous recording sessions in history. Among the samples analysed are Elvis Presley's slapback echo effect in Memphis, the Beatles' tape loops at Abbey Road, Phil Spector's `wall of sound' technique, and the Beach Boys' pop symphonies. The presenter also looks at how an American soldier's discovery of magnetic tape in the ruins of Second World War Germany drove the emergence of the music studio and the rise of the producer as a new creative force for shaping the sound of song

Friday
    7.30pm Top of The Pops 1983 - 21st April
    Richard Skinner and Janice Long introduce performances by Culture Club, the Human League, FR David, Twisted Sister, Toto, Heaven 17, Thompson Twins, Spandau Ballet and David Bowie. Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=479822&id=5857691&lid=7

9pm & 12.35am Better Than The Original: The Joy of The Cover Version
    The role of the cover in the pop industry, investigating what it takes to reinvent someone else's hit and following the stories behind 10 cover songs, tracking how artists as varied as the Moody Blues, Soft Cell, Puff Daddy and Alexandra Burke have topped the charts with their retake on someone else's song. Contributors include John Cale, Gloria Jones, Marc Almond, Rick Rubin, Faith Evans and Nerina Pallot. Narrated by Meera Syal

10pm & 1.35am Ultimate Covers at the BBC
    The pop cover has proved a remarkably imaginative and durable form, and this 60-year compilation tracks this pop alchemy at its finest and most intriguing through material sought from the Corporation's archive. Footage includes artists as diverse as the Moody Blues, Soft Cell, Alexandra Burke, Mariah Carey and UB40 scoring chart hits that are, in some cases, perhaps even better than the original

11pm & 2.35am Sings The Beatles
    A look back through the BBC's archives at memorable covers of classic Beatles songs. Included are a performance of Day Tripper by Sandie Shaw, Shirley Bassey's version of Something, the Carpenters' rendition of Help!, Oasis's reinvention of I Am the Walrus, and Joe Cocker's chart-topping interpretation of With a Little Help from My Friends. Plus, Paul McCartney's solo performance of Lady Madonna

Saturday
    11pm - Top of The Pops 1983 - April 14th
    Same as Thursday

11.30pm - Top of The Pops 1983 - 21st April
    Same as Friday

12.05am The Secret Science of Pop
    Evolutionary biologist Professor Armand Leroi gathers a team of scientists and researchers to analyse more than 50 years of UK chart music. When the results are in, Armand teams up with producer Trevor Horn. Using machine-learning techniques, they try to take a song by unsigned artist Nike Jemiyo and turn it into a potential chart-topper. Load of nonsense.

1.05am Janis: Little Girl Blue Programme of The Week!
    Janis Joplin's powerful, soulful voice blazed new creative trails before her untimely death in 1970, aged 27. As director Amy Berg's documentary reveals Joplin's on-stage bravado and uninhibited sexual persona hid hurt and insecurity stemming from her childhood. On relocating from Texas to San Francisco and discovering the blues, she found an outlet for her loneliness and fell into a community that embraced and celebrated her talent. This retrospective includes some of Joplin's most iconic performances, which embodied the musical and cultural revolution of the 1960s. Narrated by Cat Power

2.35am Queens of Soul
    A compilation of archive footage to celebrate the critically-acclaimed female singers whose voices have come to define the soul genre, including Aretha Franklin, Roberta Flack, Gladys Knight, Randy Crawford, Angie Stone, Mary J Blige and Beyonce

And a few selections from Sky Arts (who are almost as bad as BBC Four for repeats at the moment)

Friday
    11pm Bon Jovi Live London 1995
    12.50am Oasis Live at Barrowlands 2001
    2.05am Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds Live at the Hurricane Festival 2015

Saturday
    8pm Fleetwood Mac Live in Boston 2004 (Parts 1 & 2)
    10.15pm Video Killed The Radio Star [Mick Fleetwood talks about their videos]
    10.45pm Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Live from Gatorville 2006

Sunday
    10pm Josh Groban Live
    Midnight Sunset Strip (Doc)

That's about it, that Sky Arts Rocks season can't come too soon.

Genuinely good Movie Intro song of the week might Across 110th Street from Jackie Brown (ITV4, Saturday 11pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Thanks as always Mr X
    Poor selection this week as you say..

Sent me to my Netflix watch list for Friday night - going to select from one of:

- Tom Petty - Runnin Down a Dream
    - Finding Fela (Fela Kuti)
    - Neil Young - Journeys (dir: Jonathan Demme)
    - Big Star - Nothing Can Hurt Me

Anyone recommend any of the above, or anything else music-based on Netflix?

I'll recommend one from left field, if, like me, country's not your thang..
    I'll be me - about Glen Campbell's farewell tour while succumbing to Alzheimer's ...

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Thanks as always Mr X
    Poor selection this week as you say..

Sent me to my Netflix watch list for Friday night - going to select from one of:

- Tom Petty - Runnin Down a Dream
    - Finding Fela (Fela Kuti)
    - Neil Young - Journeys (dir: Jonathan Demme)
    - Big Star - Nothing Can Hurt Me

Anyone recommend any of the above, or anything else music-based on Netflix?

I'll recommend one from left field, if, like me, country's not your thang..
    I'll be me - about Glen Campbell's farewell tour while succumbing to Alzheimer's ...

Cheers Usedtowait, +1 on the Glen Campbell Doc. Terrific film, you don't have to be into his music to enjoy it.

I haven't seen any of the others you mentioned, I was going to recommend '20 feet from Stardom' but it seems to have disappeared from Netflix. 'The Wrecking Crew' Doc is very good (which features Glen Campbell!)

Cheese overload!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there was a cheeky rear camera shot...sweet jesus

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

That was Carrie Grant! :O

Never been an Eurythmics fan, but they videos were always inventive.

BAUHAUS :D

a little bit pretentious but not bad. reminds me of that song drowning in berlin

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

dont know what that was "kissing the pink"

Gary 'Young, Free And Single' Davies.

Steady, ladies :D

that video is dire

Quite possibly the worst music video ever made.

That's better :)

a bit of a meh episode

well thats disturbing ,someone posted it on the #TOTP

C57_yxHWYAQ-KY2.jpg

New Order not invited back after last time :D

1994 day on BBC 6Music today, lovely stuff.

Matt Everitt currently talking about Menswe@r's glory days with Lauren Laverne :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Matt Everitt currently talking about Menswe@r's glory days with Lauren Laverne :)

A short interview I take it..

In fact, did that band actually exist?
    I always thought of them as made up by the NME/Melody Maker...

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote: »
    A short interview I take it..

In fact, did that band actually exist?
    I always thought of them as made up by the NME/Melody Maker...

Ah yeah, we like to celebrate their glorious reign every now and then!

Their drummer Matt Everitt is a decent Music Presenter, knows his stuff.

https://twitter.com/matteveritt/status/837557439901786112

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement