Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 [Sunshine & Lollipops]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Green are in your squad, blue are the rest of your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

God this game is good when played properly. In a squad a while ago with everyone playing together, reviving, dropping ammo, giving orders, PTFOing and so on. Complete domination.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/416581409786268288/366500914/
    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/416585814166178432/366500914/
    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/416566028338170496/366500914/

I told you soo many times to turn off them hax ya gypo btw what settings are you playin on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Richie6904 wrote: »
    I told you soo many times to turn off them hax ya gypo btw what settings are you playin on

:D

I play on low settings on everything. More FPS == better. I get anywhere from 60-100 FPS, depending on the map. (Windforce 7950)

Like I said, the squad is everything. I had so few deaths because I got revived at least 5-6 times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A small but pleasant surprise today. As part of my usual hatred of snipers, I decided to mix my wish to complete the L85A1 unlock as well as humiliate a sniper, so I snuck behind him perched on his hill and defibbed him. But he had the good grace instead to laugh and compliment me on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Up to now, I was playing with a cheap pair of Logitech 120s for a headset because it has a mic, even though it seems nobody uses theirs on any server I've been on so far (neither for VOIP in-game nor teamspeak outside the game). Cheap and cheerful. But I had these Sennheiser HD280s that I use in the office for listening to music and I brought them home for the vacation, so I tried them out today.

Holy poop on a stick Batman.

It's like night and day. Before, a tank shell landed nearby, it was bang, ow, little shake, on we go. Now, it's more
    **** YOU, KA AND BOOM!, the world shakes, my ears start to bleed and it's a lot more immersive!
    (I turned down the volume a bit after the ears thing, but it's still a whole world better than it was before).

No microphone though, but thirteen euros on ebay got this puppy which everyone says does fine, and shy of splurging forty or fifty euro on a desktop or after-market boom mic, seems like a solid option for something that nobody seems to be using anyway :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sparks wrote: »
    No microphone though, but thirteen euros on ebay got this puppy which everyone says does fine, and shy of splurging forty or fifty euro on a desktop or after-market boom mic, seems like a solid option for something that nobody seems to be using anyway :(
    If on a console, I can't help ye, but if on the PC, try the 1PARA server (2 hardcore, 1 dom) or the GaelLords server (2 normal); both have a TS channel that you can join and have a laugh with.

=-=

I loled at China bans Battlefield 4, calls it threat to national security.

Lol'd at that as well.

I will say this - sniper rifles as done normally suck ass (who wants to be a mile away and getting one kill per round?) but stick a red dot sight, a silencer and a straight bolt on there, and you can have a bit of fun from 10m away :D (Working on unlocking the CR guns at the moment). It might just be xmas noob season though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Had a few great sessions on the roof of Zavvod with my friends the other day.
    One of us as a sniper with spawn beacon and binoculars, another as a medic with defibs and medic bag, myself as support with ammo box and a random as support too.

So infinite roof spawns, infinite ammo and infinite health. So many kills. :pac:

That map really is broken with being able to close the hatches that lead up.
    At one point I parachuted off the roof went to the second building closed its hatch and jumped back off got 7 knife kills before being put down, only to spawn back up on the roof with my squad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Had a few great sessions on the roof of Zavvod with my friends the other day.
    One of us as a sniper with spawn beacon and binoculars, another as a medic with defibs and medic bag, myself as support with ammo box and a random as support too.

So infinite roof spawns, infinite ammo and infinite health. So many kills. :pac:

That map really is broken with being able to close the hatches that lead up.
    At one point I parachuted off the roof went to the second building closed its hatch and jumped back off got 7 knife kills before being put down, only to spawn back up on the roof with my squad again.

I think a lot of people seem to be unable to think outside the box. A Mav or two and a mortar make short work of the roof spawns in seconds. You can kill the spawn beacons and bop the snipers off the roof. Tbh, Staying still anywhere is pretty much a deathwish against a competent team.

a competent team.
    Haven't seen too many of them myself...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Finally got this today, was so looking forward to playing it on the 360. Got home and my live expired today :( Ordered another email gold card and it still hasn't come through so been playing the single player. So far so good..
    Hopefully it comes through tomorrow so i can get online...

Its only 36.99 in xtravision btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I think a lot of people seem to be unable to think outside the box. A Mav or two and a mortar make short work of the roof spawns in seconds. You can kill the spawn beacons and bop the snipers off the roof. Tbh, Staying still anywhere is pretty much a deathwish against a competent team.
    The rocket truck is also very useful for this.

But yes, mortars are good for it. I was trying to get the one mortar kill for an assignment, first time using them, ten seconds later I have 2 kills. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Everyone hating on the DMRs but each time I use them I actually do really well as long as I stay back 40 metres or so from the targets. I run with the MK11 with suppressor and the SKS with flashlight and have great fun.

If they buffed these guns a good player would be unstopable so I think they should leave well enough alone.

Also, good news in that the PS4 version is working spot on now. No problems in a long time really. :)

I've been playing with the DMRs on and off over the last week or two (had to use them for one of the china rising unlocks and thought I'd see if it was just not enough hours in BF4 the first time I tried them). They still suck. In terms of what's best for what range, the list still goes (from "in your face" to "miles away", but the ranges overlap at the dividing lines and where those lines are is open to some debate and probably varies from person to person according to playstyle and proficiency):
    • Shotguns
    • PDWs
    • Carbines
    • Assault rifles
    • Sniper rifles
    (LMGs, launchers, etc, all excel either at specific tasks or for specific playstyles, so they get a pass that way)

There just isn't any range at which the DMRs excel, ever. And there isn't a playstyle that they excel at either - the whole "stay 50m back and cover assault players" is something that you can do much better with a silenced sniper rifle with a straight-pull and an RDS or one of the low mag scopes like the prisma or M145 (I've been mucking about with this as well over the last fortnight or so, I call it the sneaky bastard loadout :D ).

You can sometimes get okayish play on Zavod or Silk Road with a silenced DMR and an RDS (or a lowmag scope and the canted iron sight), but only in certain parts of the maps and I'm pretty sure I'm only getting that because of the christmas newbie season. And mostly it consists of working outside lanes and doing some close-ish sneaky bastard stuff on the high traffic paths, and you almost always lose if there's more than one target and you don't have exactly the right approach.

In fact, it was the multiple-target engagements that showed me the sneaky sting in the tail of the DMRs: you have a really low effective rate of fire on the DMRs, far lower than the maximum possible rate of fire. You can happily tap that fire key at anything up to 260RPM, but you're only going to hit the target with the first shot. The rest just bounce all over the place and the sights don't make that immediately obvious in a firefight. Try it on a wall somewhere and you notice that even if you're holding on a target point against the recoil, unless you're inside 5m or so, you can't tap that fire button at more than around 100RPM and keep all the shots inside the target - and if you want to get those headshots that the DMR's damage model requires, you can't even get that high, you're looking at somewhere under 90RPM. Just look at the symthic stats, the DMRs have a horrible combination of first-shot multiplier and recoil figures. The spreads on the DMRs are tiny but you're thrown off so much by the recoil that you can't take advantage of that, while some of the ARs, carbines and PDWs come in with lower recoils and/or lower FSMs. Look at the AK5C vs RFB for example - the only thing the RFB has going for it is that it has longer range than the AK and in every other recoil/FSB category it loses to the carbine (the carbine recovers from recoil 200% faster for crying out loud) and to take advantage of the RFB's higher damage per shot, you have to keep your rate of fire under 90 or so RPM.

For a quick comparison, that's less than a pump-action shotgun, and the pump-action at that range will be a one-shot kill with far less accuracy required, while the DMRs can't ever one-shot kill unless you get the headshot glitch and that's a game bug :D

So no, you can have fun with them, but they're not effective (and really, a lot of that fun comes from knowing someone's sitting in their living room somewhere else on the planet going "he got me with the RFB? What the hell? Stupid game...." and that's not really fun so much as it is advanced taunting :D ). Your teammates, for example, won't be having fun while you're having fun that way because they'll be effectively one teammate down against the other team...

831406407.jpg
    Even toddlers aren't impressed with the DMRs :D

Sparks wrote: »
    (LMGs, launchers, etc, all excel either at specific tasks or for specific playstyles, so they get a pass that way)

I use the SRAW sometimes to counter snipe rooftop campers, such fun :D

For fits and giggles, I ran the RFB through Symplot to see how close you have to be to the target for all five rounds in a panic-spam-the-fire-button burst to hit the target. All the gridlines are at 1m seperation at the target range, btw.

50m?

831414307.png

Nope. Closer, maybe 10m?

831414327.png

Nope. How close do you have to be to be sure?

831414352.png

4m. Ah lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

I'm level 110 and a weapon battle pack just gave me 3x25% boosts & a 50% boost :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

the lav really can be an absolute beast if used conservatilly with the homing aa rockets.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/419212656822229248/383379133/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Unlocked the mortar today. It's great craic altogether, cleared an enemy minefield, blew up a tank and emptied a snipers nest.
    All from a nice and safe spot half the map away.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

the lav really can be an absolute beast if used conservatilly with the homing

Love the lav myself . with the zunni rockets and 25mm cannons you can even take on anything with no worries

• Advertisement

Never sure what loadout to use with the LAV.

Tried 25mm cannon + tow missile, found it meh
    30mm shells don't seem to do much more damage and less splash damage, also harder to kill infantry with them.
    Playing around with 25mm+zuni for now to see how I like it.

Anyone else thing the reactive armour isn't really useful any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Still haven't really found a gun that I am totally happy with.

I'm fairly new to the game, level 9, and traditionally favour assault rifles, but I've not been that impressed by the SCAR at range, and I had assumed that would be the one I use. I've been running engineer to use the default rocket launcher, and have now unlocked the RPG, but I don't like the close range PDWs, so I've been using the first Carbine and having some success with that, is the ACW (?) much better?

Anyone recommend a beast of an assault rife/carbine?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Still haven't really found a gun that I am totally happy with.

I'm fairly new to the game, level 9, and traditionally favour assault rifles, but I've not been that impressed by the SCAR at range, and I had assumed that would be the one I use. I've been running engineer to use the default rocket launcher, and have now unlocked the RPG, but I don't like the close range PDWs, so I've been using the first Carbine and having some success with that, is the ACW (?) much better?

Anyone recommend a beast of an assault rife/carbine?

As a carbine I'd say ACE 52 CQB, mostly due it's high damage level.

Spear wrote: »
    Agree with this.

For assault I've been using the L85 and find it very very good.
    Aek is a demon as well in close encounters.

Spear wrote: »

Not for a newbie. The ACW is better in close quarters because of the high rate of fire. The ACE52 does more damage per shot but the lower rate of fire means you need better aim. If you can land all the shots on target, the ACE52 does do more damage per second than the ACW in close quarters - but only by less than a half of a percent (368.3 dps vs 366.6 dps), so the higher rate of fire in the ACW makes it more forgiving to newbies - they can miss a shot or two and still win the engagement, but with the ACE52, it's a different story.

To be honest though, if you're a newbie, you want to avoid CQB. Get the AK-12 or the AK-5C and stand off from the action anywhere from 20 to 50m out; pick your targets and engage them deliberately. Don't just run in and hold down the fire button. Pick your approach path and plan the engagement. All the DPS, ROF, ADS and other comparisons between weapons don't mean a fig if you can sneak up behind the other guy successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I'm new in terms of Battlefield, I had BF3 when it came out initially but stopped playing after Xmas 2012, so best part of 18 months out of action, but my aim isn't that bad, but I did like the look of the ACW so will give that a spin.

Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I'm new in terms of Battlefield, I had BF3 when it came out initially but stopped playing after Xmas 2012, so best part of 18 months out of action, but my aim isn't that bad, but I did like the look of the ACW so will give that a spin.

Cheers for the advice.
    Def give the aku12 in carbines a go when you unlock it. Very good all rounder. Not the fastest firing but very stable on full auto and you can snap the shots for longer range.

Two SRAW double whammies on tanks (the fire one, reload, fire two, hit with both trick) and two SRAW helo kills in one round on Celts tonight. When this game's nice, it's very nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Trying to sneak up behind 3 roof camping snipers and walked into a claymore. They turn round. Had +3 health and the P90. I love the P90. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Never sure what loadout to use with the LAV.

Tried 25mm cannon + tow missile, found it meh
    30mm shells don't seem to do much more damage and less splash damage, also harder to kill infantry with them.
    Playing around with 25mm+zuni for now to see how I like it.

Anyone else thing the reactive armour isn't really useful any more?

If it's the standard LAV, I run 25mm and Tow. Reasoning being, when I engage, it's missile first, then burst of cannon, then another missile. Lead off with the most damaging weapon first. Zuni rockets take too long to fire and have poorer ballistics, tending to fall off quite quickly at range. Plus the Tow can lock onto lazed targets and can be accurate at extended ranges. Very handy.

For the LAV-AD I run the 30mm and Zuni. Infantry killing package and can still take down LAVs and tanks with the right approach.

Advertisement