Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year's Eve concert Merchant quay

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

Mod Post: Just so you are aware Marcus, closing your account to avoid a ban just means that any future Boards.ie accounts you create will be facing that ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

bigpink wrote: »
    Cuckoo Events seemed to be involved also according to twitter
    What an apt name considering the backlash the event has gotten in the last 48hours.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Carazy wrote: »
    What an apt name considering the backlash the event has gotten in the last 48hours.

Bit harsh considering you probably don't even know the extent of their involvement or role at the event.
    They were hired as safety officer at the venue as per their own blog, not running the event at all.

http://www.cuckoo.ie/blog/event-related/event-partner-not-supplier.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I see Ticketmaster have started sending their email-shot asking for event reviews.
    I wonder if they'll actually publish any of them apart from the PR friendly ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irger

leakyboots wrote: »
    No probs, I'm glad the weather held off because if it lashed down it would have been a proper mess. I might be wrong on the short-notice front so I'll hold my hand up if so. It was a bit shambolic (from the public viewpoint, from the other side things ran great) but I do think people enjoyed themselves on the whole and a lot of the problems were out of the organisers hands. The bigger picture about who's in charge and who's running what is more relevant, it's a long year ahead so plenty of time to right the wrongs.

If I was a paying punter I'd have been annoyed too, the vast majority of the crowd had an obstructed view through the bars of the fence or down towards the Locke. But as I said, I'd imagine that was RTE's call to put the stage there. Someone above mentioned emergency exits to the left and right of the stage and that makes sense. Somewhere like the Milk Market would have been ideal but wouldn't have had the necessary 'aesthetics' for TV.

And I've said on here numerous times King John's Castle back in the day when they had The Frames, The Walls, Mundy, Niall Quinn, Woodstar, one of my favourite gigs ever, but the setting made it. Should be used more.

unfortunately you are not wrong with the short-notice and the calls from rte(as allways, i mean they didn't even broadcasted the launch event at 8 or had any coverage of it till now, but they had tons of cameras around)... and the event in relation to the size, planning time and costs did actually go more then well.

and to do a gig in the castle is very unapeeling atm due various reasons... pity

people just should start to feedback on positive things... google search starts to look very bad for limerick atm :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

I don't see much reason to crib about the time of the fireworks.
    Fireworks are a family event so it needs to cater for kids.
    Fighting over 8pm versus 9pm is pointless.
    12 wouldn't work for family's.

There's bigger overall issues here.
    The times is reporting an "art censorship" request by Ms Ryan today.
    The bad news is spinning out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I don't see much reason to crib about the time of the fireworks.
    Fireworks are a family event so it needs to cater for kids.
    Fighting over 8pm versus 9pm is pointless.
    12 wouldn't work for family's.

There's bigger overall issues here.
    The times is reporting an "art censorship" request by Ms Ryan today.
    The bad news is spinning out of control.

I agree, this is getting out of hand and will do more damage than good if this continues.

As for the "Art Censorship", there are a number of facets to this story. Firstly, I'm delighted to hear that someone had to forsight to include everyone in this, and not do what other cities do and attempt to distill the city's culture for the benefit of tourism, because at that point it can't really be culture can it...culture is a reflection of a citys personality expressed in music/arts/literature etc.

Secondly, the fact that the CEO attempted to interfere with this isn't as nasty as it seems, her tone was more constructive (however misplaced) than demanding, and in the end common sense seems to have prevailed.

Thirdly, how the Irish Times, the nations broadsheet newspaper of record saw fit to spin this thing is a sad indictment of where their standards now lie, I find it tragically ironic that the following article appeared on the same day as this story, and also ironic that John Waters (a journalist who once compared Moyross to Bogota) wrote it

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/media/telling-us-stories-is-not-the-prime-function-of-our-newspapers-1.1642643?page=1

This story belongs in a two page spread in the Sunday World with pictures of rappers and burnt out cars/houses.

I hope that all parties involved, whichever "side" you are on can get together to iron this out, if parties need to step down, then do so now...whether we like it or not, the nations media is having a field day with this...and not for the first time, the city (including all of us) will suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

It's a non-story clearly leaked to do damage.
    My initial thoughts were; what is she doing micro-managing at this level?
    Surely she's a project manager setting budgets, KPI's milestones, driving the project forward? Is she really reading lyrics of micro-cultural events like this?
    Seemed odd to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 limericklad14

I volunteered on this. Have to say that while I think we gave 100% as volunteers, it seemed really badly organised from the inside out - safety wasn't great and we weren't given a proper brief so I can understand why people would be annoyed that they weren't getting proper information - we didn't have any to give. Was all last minute.

But I have to say that I don't think that the comments people are giving about the bars are what stands out for me - ya know what, if a bar queue is so long that you're missing the music, and the music is what you're really there for, skip the bar queue and just go see the music!

I was told that a company called davis event were running it all. They run the new years gig in dublin and that's why they got limerick but that they had subbed it out to a lot of limerick people because obviously they were busy with the gig in dublin on the night. I'd believe they were involved because both gigs were televised by RTE!

There were a load of cash only tickets sold on the day as well, even though it was supposedly sold out beforehand? I'd question how many tickets were sold and if it was a shady move in the end.

Either way though it's the first event of the year, I think we just have to give it a chance to improve. Hate to see the way Limerick is being played out in the media at the moment, it's making us all look like fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Anyone agree it should have been only Limerick bands on the bill on NYE, and for free?

It's a load of boll*x. If you look at the bands on the bill, look who is managing a bunch of those bands, you can see that it's back scratching as usual. Same old sh*te in Limerick.

There's probably nothing new in that in the music game, but it's a load of boll*x anyways. City of Vultures!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭pigtown

seachto7 wrote: »
    Anyone agree it should have been only Limerick bands on the bill on NYE, and for free?

No. Local bands can be seen every night of the week in the city, they wouldn't be a major draw on their own. Anyway, Leading Armies and Delores O'Riordan are local. And why should it have been free?
    seachto7 wrote: »
    It's a load of boll*x. If you look at the bands on the bill, look who is managing a bunch of those bands, you can see that it's back scratching as usual. Same old sh*te in Limerick.

Well obviously musical taste is subjective but The Strypes and SOAK are pretty good and are tipped to be huge in the coming years, and the Coronas, well, they are a big draw in Ireland. I don't know who manages these artists so maybe you could let us know who's back is being scratched.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

It was poor overall for a NYE and a launch.People should look into who ran the gig and alot will make sense

Advertisement