Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year's Eve concert Merchant quay

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

If they couldn't see the stage they could have moved about..I did

Couldn't hear the singers...sorry but that is nonsense, not as good as an indoor gig...but it was outdoors...it's what you get.

Had to que for an hour?? The longest I spent in a que was 20 mins, not ideal but not a disaster, and out of about 5 trips to the bar I was only waiting for 5-10 mins 4/5 times...not bad at all

I'm not surprised the hot whiskey/port bar sold out...it was baltic...probably surprised a lot of people how cold it gets on the banks of a river...

Wasn't enough toilets...my longest wait was under 5 mins...there was plenty of portaloos

The entrance was designed in such a way as there could not have been a crush once inside the venue...impossible.

There was no communication as to what was happening? We all knew the line up...some people still feed the need to be spoonfed.

The countdown was a joke, but it was 2 mins late...

I have a feeling this will be the theme of you're posting for the year...

So all the negative feedback on their official facebook page must be made up then? I have a feeling you are officially connected to this event given your vigorous attack on anyone who has been critical of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

So all the negative feedback on their official facebook page must be made up then? I have a feeling you are officially connected to this event given your vigorous attack on anyone who has been critical of it.

I don't believe the comments on social media are made up...their expectation was just way out of kilter with the reality of an outdoor gig is what my point is.

I have absolutely no connection with this or any other gig/organisation...I just get a little bit annoyed with the unnecessary negativity of some posters like you. It is a Limerick thing, and it doesn't help anyone.

I went through the points you made and gave my experience of the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Midnight Shadow

I agree mate.. the 2000 celebrations were awful....and still cost a fortune...Can it be so difficult in this day and age to present a relatively small New Years night celebrations "professionally".....in a tiny city ....or will we always be unable to keep up with the Jones :(

It's not negativity. It's the reality that they couldn't organise a fire in a match factory. It's always the same blundering, maybe due to the fact it is the same crowd doing all these events from which they never seem to learn.

This was pointed out before the concert and dismissed as negativity. Well maybe if people listened for a change there would be more happy people talking about how great the event was which is what we want for Limerick City of Culture. However dismissing genuine complaints smacks of arrogance and taking people's hard earned money for granted.

There is nothing wrong with expecting a basic level of competance in event management. If other cities can do it then so can we, but not while this mentality of ignoring feedback continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I watched Dolores O'Riordan for a few minutes on t.v. she sounded woeful and made a few mistakes and was not in synch with the orchestra behind her. Switched back to BBC. Watched a bit from the Dublin show and it wasn't much better either. Poor enough from Dublin and Limerick. Fireworks in London were amazing though.

• Advertisement

angeleyes wrote: »
    I watched Dolores O'Riordan for a few minutes on t.v. she sounded woeful and made a few mistakes and was not in synch with the orchestra behind her. Switched back to BBC. Watched a bit from the Dublin show and it wasn't much better either. Poor enough from Dublin and Limerick. Fireworks in London were amazing though.

I thought she got a bit flustered when she had to ask them twice to raise her mic and guitar in the mix. You'd think they'd have sorted that in the soundcheck. She's probably not used to working with amateurs anyway can't really blame her she's a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

So all the negative feedback on their official facebook page must be made up then?

Most of the negative feedback is about queuing for the bars and toilets. This happens at every outdoor gig. Have a look through the feedback after these events: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82289246
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056894160
    And a host of other gigs which were on last year in that forum had the same complaints.

It's all down to the preconceived notion of what people had in their heads of what it was going to be like.. If I show up to a concert late I expect to have a terrible spot and the bars + toilets to be busy. If the bar queue is huge I wont go to the bar and miss 40 mins of the concert I paid for. If drink is all I wanted I'd go to a pub instead. That seems to be all they have to complain about.

The huge silent majority have no complaints as usual its just people looking for something to complain about rather than getting on with it and enjoying themselves.

Most of the negative feedback is about queuing for the bars and toilets. This happens at every outdoor gig. Have a look through the feedback after these events: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82289246
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056894160
    And a host of other gigs which were on last year in that forum had the same complaints.

It's all down to the preconceived notion of what people had in their heads of what it was going to be like.. If I show up to a concert late I expect to have a terrible spot and the bars + toilets to be busy. If the bar queue is huge I wont go to the bar and miss 40 mins of the concert I paid for. If drink is all I wanted I'd go to a pub instead. That seems to be all they have to complain about.

The huge silent majority have no complaints as usual its just people looking for something to complain about rather than getting on with it and enjoying themselves.

Did you take a poll leaving the event as to how many enjoyed it? Are you unconcerned about the people who had a bad experience who will no doubt discuss it with other people and thus spreading a bad vibe about Limerick City of Culture Events? Have you wondered why the artistic director of Limerick City of Culture just quit his post tonight? Strange coincidence after what happened last night if you ask me. Not everyone is going to register their unhappiness on the internet you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

What happened the countdown?

Did you take a poll leaving the event as to how many enjoyed it? Are you unconcerned about the people who had a bad experience who will no doubt discuss it with other people and thus spreading a bad vibe about Limerick City of Culture Events? Have you wondered why the artistic director of Limerick City of Culture just quit his post tonight? Strange coincidence after what happened last night if you ask me. Not everyone is going to register their unhappiness on the internet you know.

Did you?

You weren't even at the thing and yet you feel in a better position to judge for yourself how successful or unsuccessful the event was.

The complaints which you posted relate to the bars and toilets, the previous poster just provided you with enough evidence of similar issues at other outdoor events. I was at the event and can attest to the fact that it was pretty much run of the mill stuff.

The artistic director was supposed to quit a few weeks ago according to the Limerick Leader
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/what-s-on/arts-entertainment/speculation-on-future-of-limerick-city-of-culture-director-karl-wallace-1-5759273

I doubt it had anything to do with last night...it is a regular ocurance during these kind of things
    http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2013/10/derry-londonderry-city-culture-hit-string-resignations/

By the way, I am not vigorously attacking anybody, I am merely defending something that is being vigorously attacked. You are doing an excellent job yourself of spreading a negative vibe...

• Advertisement

testicle wrote: »
    What happened the countdown?

It was two minutes late...

Did you?

You weren't even at the thing and yet you feel in a better position to judge for yourself how successful or unsuccessful the event was.

The complaints which you posted relate to the bars and toilets, the previous poster just provided you with enough evidence of similar issues at other outdoor events. I was at the event and can attest to the fact that it was pretty much run of the mill stuff.

The artistic director was supposed to quit a few weeks ago according to the Limerick Leader
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/what-s-on/arts-entertainment/speculation-on-future-of-limerick-city-of-culture-director-karl-wallace-1-5759273

I doubt it had anything to do with last night...it is a regular ocurance during these kind of things
    http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2013/10/derry-londonderry-city-culture-hit-string-resignations/

By the way, I am not vigorously attacking anybody, I am merely defending something that is being vigorously attacked. You are doing an excellent job yourself of spreading a negative vibe...

"Ah sure it happens everywhere, what are ye complaining about at all" :D

Got to love it, nothing to see here people, if you have a complaint then keep it to yourself. We can't be having that now at all. Next we'll have Bertie coming out in defence saying he doesn't know how people who complained don't go and kill themselves. :D

Eamon Dunphy is right :D

"Ah sure it happens everywhere, what are ye complaining about at all" :D

Got to love it, nothing to see here people, if you have a complaint then keep it to yourself. We can't be having that now at all. Next we'll have Bertie coming out in defence saying he doesn't know how people who complained don't go and kill themselves. :D

Eamon Dunphy is right :D

You are all over the place mate...so you are having a go at Ireland now, not just Limerick?

You do realise that even if you organised an event, financed it, laid on excellent facilities, drove 2,500 people to it you would still get a percentage of complaints...it is human nature...social media has merely given those people a place to vent...if last night was unsafe it would be a different matter, but it wasn't it was perfectly safe...all other complaints really are just people who shouldn't go to events like that...they simply won't enjoy it.

That's a good slogan - Limerick City of Culture, Stay Away, You Won't Enjoy It. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

That's a good slogan - Limerick City of Culture, Stay Away, You Won't Enjoy It. :D

Seriously.... who is this guy?? U have literally spent the day on boards.ie taking pleasure in the fact that there are complaints about an event in Limerick.... What have you ever done to try to improve our city??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I was at this event and really enjoyed it. I will agree that the gate in the middle of the venue created a bit of a pinch point which was annoying and the queues for the bar were very long. Thankfully I was not drinking but I did queue with a friend at one stage. There was technical problems at the countdown which was disappointing but it was tech problems, they happen and really not the end of the world. I really enjoyed ringing in the new year there last night even if we were two minutes late.

I found the sound absolutely excellent for an outdoor gig and had no trouble seeing any of the acts, I'm not exactly tall at 5'8" either. We were on the left hand side of the stage as you looked at it. In all fairness the lineup was great also although even though I'm not a huge fan but Dolores O'Riordan could have played a lot longer.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

tommy249 wrote: »
    Seriously.... who is this guy?? U have literally spent the day on boards.ie taking pleasure in the fact that there are complaints about an event in Limerick.... What have you ever done to try to improve our city??

Who I am or how I post is not the title of this thread. You sure sound butthurt, probably one of the so called organisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Who I am or how I post is not the title of this thread. You sure sound butthurt, probably one of the so called organisers.

Why is someone who disagrees with you "probably one of the so called organisers."?
    Even you have got to admit, perhaps not today but in a few days when you look back on this thread, that you seem to be revelling in the fact that some people did not enjoy the event as much as others.

When I pointed out that this would be a farce I was told to shut up. When I point out after the fact that it was a farce I am told to shut up. That's what is hilarious to me. :D Some discussion forum you have here lads haha

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

I have absolutely nothing to do with the organisers! I was at the event myself and was very annoyed at the queues for the bar (It was a deja vu from the queues in Thomond park for Springsteen concert). I just cant understand how someone can spend the weeks leading up to a major event in Limerick bad mouthing it on this forum and then spend the entire day today gloating about how u were right and loving any criticism of the event you can come across. You seem to be weighed down by a massive chip!

• Advertisement

tommy249 wrote: »
    I have absolutely nothing to do with the organisers! I was at the event myself and was very annoyed at the queues for the bar (It was a deja vu from the queues in Thomond park for Springsteen concert). I just cant understand how someone can spend the weeks leading up to a major event in Limerick bad mouthing it on this forum and then spend the entire day today gloating about how u were right and loving any criticism of the event you can come across. You seem to be weighed down by a massive chip!

I had a great night Tommy :D No weight on my shoulders pointing out the ridiculous head in the clouds attitude on this forum. Very reflective of Limerick in general I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I had a great night Tommy :D No weight on my shoulders pointing out the ridiculous head in the clouds attitude on this forum. Very reflective of Limerick in general I must say.

To be fair, you do.seem to nitpick on continuous bad points. Like the coubtdown thing is a shambles, but go to any outdoor gig in this country and tell me there's no Que for a bathroom/pint, same story all over Europe for God Sake.
    Yes people will complain, but the majority I've talked to said for the most part, it was a great night..

bennyl10 wrote: »
    To be fair, you do.seem to nitpick on continuous bad points. Like the coubtdown thing is a shambles, but go to any outdoor gig in this country and tell me there's no Que for a bathroom/pint, same story all over Europe for God Sake.
    Yes people will complain, but the majority I've talked to said for the most part, it was a great night..

Yes but isn't it a shame that so many people unnecessarily had a bad night due to small organisational problems that a blind man in a fog could see happening?

Unfortunately pointing out these things is considered a bad thing in Limerick.

A few people just don't like accepting this, particularly on boards :D

CCLCDvJ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Yes but isn't it a shame that so many people unnecessarily had a bad night due to small organisational problems that a blind man in a fog could see happening?

CCLCDvJ.gif

Small org problems thst happen, have happened, and will continue to happen at every outdoor gig, everywhere, until human brings find a way to sweat drinks. no longer have a need to go to a bathroom and soqces can be widened on demand.. the human 'follow like sheep complex despite there being lots of room.to your right'. Doesnt help either

Its not an issue that just occured last night, or just in limerick. People who complain have either never been to an outdoor event, or jusr expect too much from what was a very nice way to kick start what should be a great year for our city.

I guess enough toilets, a properly stocked bar, proper crowd control and stewards that give a **** are just not possible within the physical reality of Limerick City :D

Fcukin hell this keeps getting better and better. No wonder the artistic director quit dealing with this mentality :D

I hope they never build a nuclear power plant in Limerick :D

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I guess enough toilets, a properly stocked bar, proper crowd control and stewards that give a **** are just not possible within the physical reality of Limerick City :D

Fcukin hell this keeps getting better and better. No wonder the artistic director quit dealing with this mentality :D

I hope they never build a nuclear power plant in Limerick :D

Marcus maybe you should volunteer next year and spend weeks trying to get people to volunteer for the event.
    Then have these volunteers give up their whole day and night to help out, and to be out in the elements happy and cheery to every person that approached them with questions.

Marcus maybe you should volunteer next year and spend weeks trying to get people to volunteer for the event.
    Then have these volunteers give up their whole day and night to help out, and to be out in the elements happy and cheery to every person that approached them with questions.

Good idea. But happy and cheery will rule out all the posters on the Limerick forum. Sorry. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And this forum is also full of that other Limerick mentality whereby anyone who expresses an opinion that somebody doesn't like is immediately harassed and attacked for expressing that opinion.

You'd be forgiven for thinking that it is in the Limerick Forums Charter that only 100% positive comments are allowed.
    I was looking forward to seeing what the line-up was after the guy hosting it made that claim. I have nothing to apologise for, just more of the same attitude in Limerick where if you point out the bull**** claims you hear week in week out you get criticised. Typical typical typical.
    I'm entitled to speak my mind. You don't like it, spin on it.
    I merely pointed out the inaccurate information being peddled by Will Leahy. Is that not allowed? Point me to the part of the forum charter where this is forbidden.

If I think the line-up sucks why is that having such a massive impact on your life? Are you involved with the concert? Maybe you should just get over it. This is a discussion forum, it would have much point if everyone came here to post the same thing.

But as per usual, if you don't lick arse in the Limerick forum you get harangued non-stop.
    I'm annoyed that they bollixed it up and ruined the night for so many people. I'm glad I didn't go. But you can't point out the oh so predictable outcome on here or question anything or you get rounded on immediately. It is the culture in Limerick. I'm glad that certain people have egg on their face and the more vocal of them are nowhere to be seen or in some cases, banned.
    When I pointed out that this would be a farce I was told to shut up. When I point out after the fact that it was a farce I am told to shut up. That's what is hilarious to me. :DSome discussion forum you have here lads haha

CCLCDvJ.gif
    Good idea. But happy and cheery will rule out all the posters on the Limerick forum. Sorry. :D

Fascinating analysis.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Well I was on duty there yesterday from lunchtime through to the end of the concert...not once did the smile leave my face and I can say the same for the rest of the volunteers working with me who were in great spirits despite being frozen and starving by the end of the night.

If you think you can do better with events get in touch with the Limerick volunteer centre and help them with all the events for 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Flopped????

The city was rammed all evening and all night...it was certainly one of the best NYs I've had...

The countdown was a joke, that was the only mistake...

The stage could have been elsewhere but the idea was having the St Marys Cathederal backdrop...

It is sad to see so many posters literally salivating on their keyboards despite the fact they didn't bother going themselves...it's also puzzling to see people taking to social media complaining about ques for drinks/toilets...

The event sold out I believe, 2,500 people attended...the acts that performed were very impressive, I really enjoyed Maverick Sabre despite having no idea who he was...

If you have a problem queing for drinks or for using the toilets at outdoor gigs then you shouldn't have gone in the first place...last night was no better or no worse than any event I have ever attended.

No matter what happened last night some people with their blatant anti Limerick agenda would still be complaining.You have an event like this which attracted lot's of people and some people are moaning about having to que up for a beer!What pettiness in all fairness.It's sad to see to see that certain people are so desperate and eager to see this event fail.It's like the notion of Limerick people having pride in their city is a way of thinking that's offensive to them.

Advertisement