Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year's Eve concert Merchant quay

Options
  • 04-11-2013 8:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

See that Will Leahy tweeted something it today

Made plans for New Years Eve yet ? Limerick launched it's year as City of Culture today and there will be a massive concert on Merchants Quay to start the whole thing. It will be televised by RTE and beamed worldwide on the RTE Player.

Tickets go on sale next week and the line-up will be revealed. All I can say is that the line-up combined have had No 1 albums in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 2011,2012 & 2013.

I am the MC on the night. I have had no No. 1 albums but did win a silver medal in Feile Luimní when I was 6 for singing.

https://www.facebook.com/willleahyon2fm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

bigpink wrote: »
    Made plans for New Years Eve yet ? Limerick launched it's year as City of Culture today and there will be a massive concert on Merchants Quay to start the whole thing. It will be televised by RTE and beamed worldwide on the RTE Player.

Tickets go on sale next week and the line-up will be revealed. All I can say is that the line-up combined have had No 1 albums in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 2011,2012 & 2013.

I am the MC on the night. I have had no No. 1 albums but did win a silver medal in Feile Luimní when I was 6 for singing.

All in a 140 character tweet? ;-)

bigpink wrote: »

All in a 140 character tweet? ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Sorry it was a tweet linked to a facebook post

https://www.facebook.com/willleahyon2fm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

After the disaster that was the Millenium disco lazer bouncing off the walls of Kings Johns Castle I swore I'd never again go to any of these events again.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Who is Will Leahy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

DJ with 2FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Ah, but will it be enough to attract Marks & Spencer to the derelict Opera Centre ????????)

OP, is the line-up just Cliff Richard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Ah, but will it be enough to attract Marks & Spencer to the derelict Opera Centre ????????)

OP, is the line-up just Cliff Richard ?

The OP is just repeating what is being advertised online and is not involved with the event afaik, so doubt if she will know who is on the bill before anyone else will.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

She might.....if nobody else is a follower of Will Leahy's Tweets :).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

It says the line up combined so that could be anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Ayio

So Marcus u reckon it will be a shambles then? Really?
    I was hoping for something different in the city and that it might go off well :/ not sure now. And I was trying to arrange all of my friends to come but it would be great it there was a big crowd and a lively buzz round the town... for a change. Would be good for Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Ayio wrote: »
    So Marcus u reckon it will be a shambles then? Really?
    I was hoping for something different in the city and that it might go off well :/ not sure now. And I was trying to arrange all of my friends to come but it would be great it there was a big crowd and a lively buzz round the town... for a change. Would be good for Limerick!

Ayio, when it comes to posting in this forum you must understand that certain posters display that Limerick mentality whereby just say Jesus Christ himself walked across the River Shannon if front of our very eyes it would be because he couldn't swim!!

If the hotel managers in the city are to be believed there will be a massive crowd in the city this new years, and I have yet to witness the Irish Chamber Orchestra participate in any kind of a shambles!!!

Ayio, when it comes to posting in this forum you must understand that certain posters display that Limerick mentality whereby just say Jesus Christ himself walked across the River Shannon if front of our very eyes it would be because he couldn't swim!!

If the hotel managers in the city are to be believed there will be a massive crowd in the city this new years, and I have yet to witness the Irish Chamber Orchestra participate in any kind of a shambles!!!

And this forum is also full of that other Limerick mentality whereby anyone who expresses an opinion that somebody doesn't like is immediately harassed and attacked for expressing that opinion.

You'd be forgiven for thinking that it is in the Limerick Forums Charter that only 100% positive comments are allowed.

Then people wonder why problems are allowed to fester in this city, why incompetence is rewarded rather than punished and why when something goes tits up everybody stands around like apes asking how it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,139 ✭✭✭✭phog

And this forum is also full of that other Limerick mentality whereby anyone who expresses an opinion that somebody doesn't like is immediately harassed and attacked for expressing that opinion.

You'd be forgiven for thinking that it is in the Limerick Forums Charter that only 100% positive comments are allowed.

Then people wonder why problems are allowed to fester in this city, why incompetence is rewarded rather than punished and why when something goes tits up everybody stands around like apes asking how it happened.

So how would you improve the NYE concert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭pigtown

The Strypes are closing the Limerick concert after jetting down from Dublin where they are opening the capital's concert. Both it seems will feature on RTÉ's NYE coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

phog wrote: »
    So how would you improve the NYE concert?

Rammstein with their full stage show. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

or slipknot

Full line-up announced - Dolores O Riordan, Maverick Sabre, The Strypes, The Coronas and Leading Armies.

I'm trying to reconcile that with 2fm's Will Leahy earlier claim that - "the line-up combined have had No 1 albums in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 2011,2012 & 2013"

Am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭pigtown

Soak also on the bill

pigtown wrote: »
    Soak also on the bill

Playing a song with Leading Armies.

After what Will Leahy said I was expecting a far better line-up than this.

• Advertisement

its not bad by any stretch. something for most people and far better than most NYE in Limerick.

Quite interested to see the Strypes myself, and Maverick Sabre worth a look. I'll give the Coronas a skip

Which act has number one albums in the 70's and 80's?

Which act has number one albums in the 70's and 80's?

Jesus man leave it go...it's a strong line up, if its not your thing fair enough don't bother going...word to the wise...radio djs sometimes hype events...the media can't be trusted!!!

Jesus man leave it go...it's a strong line up, if its not your thing fair enough don't bother going...word to the wise...radio djs sometimes hype events...the media can't be trusted!!!

Ah so that's what it is - lying to sell tickets. And he is officially involved in the event.

Ah so that's what it is - lying to sell tickets. And he is officially involved in the event.

Ring the guards!!!

For someone who clearly has no intention of going, you are taking this way too seriously...its "hype"...that is all it is...

Ring the guards!!!

For someone who clearly has no intention of going, you are taking this way too seriously...its "hype"...that is all it is...

I was looking forward to seeing what the line-up was after the guy hosting it made that claim. I have nothing to apologise for, just more of the same attitude in Limerick where if you point out the bull**** claims you hear week in week out you get criticised. Typical typical typical.

I was looking forward to seeing what the line-up was after the guy hosting it made that claim. I have nothing to apologise for, just more of the same attitude in Limerick where if you point out the bull**** claims you hear week in week out you get criticised. Typical typical typical.

Who is asking for an apology?...I'm merely advising you to let it go, hype is hype...at the time an act could have been lined up but not confirmed...don't leave it go if you don't want to...start a protest of some sort or write letters, personally I don't really care...

oh get over yourself. If there was nothing on you'd be giving out too. Acts could have cancelled or anything since he said that, You haven't a clue no more than the rest of us. Its good to see something like this on.

I'm entitled to speak my mind. You don't like it, spin on it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

wow kids put away the tampons. can we just all agree that it wasnt what we expected entirely but its still a really decent line up that has never been matched in this city before???

i for one am looking forward to it and applaud the organizers for it.

there will always be a few people saying it could have been better but who where you expecting??

U2
    Greenday
    Muse
    and bruce????

now that would be some line up but come on ffs we need to spread the limited budget over 12 months not just blow it on the first day(the day before the first day even)

Advertisement