Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year's Eve concert Merchant quay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

linky please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

fryup wrote: »
    linky please

I'm on my phone so can't post a link but you can see the comments on the official Facebook page for the event under their posts and also under the reviews tab. Can't believe they even managed to screw up the countdown of all things WOW just WOW

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

went to killaloe instead for the brian boru festivites....and the fireworks there were great, credit to the town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I'm on my phone so can't post a link but you can see the comments on the official Facebook page for the event under their posts and also under the reviews tab. Can't believe they even managed to screw up the countdown of all things WOW just WOW

https://www.facebook.com/cityofculturenye?fref=ts

Took a few pics of this last night but head to leave early due to an early start today. I left just after Dolores O' Riordan performances. Not a good way to kick off Limerick City of Culture 2014 after reading some of those reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I see they are retweeting loads of positive comments on the twitter page.

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    I see they are retweeting loads of positive comments on the twitter page.

Link? I am looking at the city of culture twitter feed and I see retweets from an event management company, will leahy and a Mexican cranberries fans account lol

edit: I was looking at the main account, I see the have one for the NYE event also. Retweeting positive tweets from a few people but ignoring all the tweets complaining about the bars at the gig which appear to have been a shambles. Glad to see some people had a good time though but there is a lot of pissed off people complaining on facebook and twitter about this. Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

https://m.facebook.com/cityofculturenye

Some pretty bad comments there alright, only 2 positive comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I enjoyed it...had a great night there...the countdown was a joke, but I can't stand the countdown anyway...the acts that performed were excellent...having never seen Delores O'Riordan/The Cranberries perform live before I would have liked to have seen a longer set, but other than that for me it was very good value for money.

There was a few people annoyed over the ques for the bar, at one point it was a bit much alright...but I have yet to go to a gig/concert in this country where you don't get that...

How many songs did Dolores sing?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Have the people who commented bad reviews, have they ever had a huge event to organise. There is massive logistics etc, its easy to critise why don't they come up with solutions. Is it not good that they are trying to do something rather than nothing at all. BTW I have no affliation to event.

• Advertisement

golden8 wrote: »
    Have the people who commented bad reviews, have they ever had a huge event to organise. There is massive logistics etc, its easy to critise why don't they come up with solutions. Is it not good that they are trying to do something rather than nothing at all. BTW I have no affliation to event.

It is not their fault. They paid €22 and expected a competently organised and enjoyable night, as they have every right to having paid that amount.

It is hardly a huge event. Electric Picnic is huge. 2.000,000 people on the streets of London last night for the excellent fireworks is huge.

A thousand or so for a gig down the potato market is minor league stuff.

It is amateur hour, that is what it is.

Here is a selection of the comments left on their facebook page:

"Why was the organisation so bad last night? What a shame..

what a scam and disgrace to the city tonight was. Que;s 100 metres long to get to a bar or toilet. Joke of a night . At least ye made it look good for RTE. Try pan the cameras to the car park were most of the people had to stand. How much did the people of Dublin have to pay tonight. Sickened by the carry on. And I'm not the only one. Delete my comment .. I dare you. Fire works , 100k worth my arse. Who got the back handers this time. Absolute joke. I'll be looking for my money back. And so should all the good people in Limerick who paid for that pile of ....

great walking in. When 200 people leaving say " don't bother its a joke". And you cant' leave and come back either. Couldn't even leave go for a pint and come back to hear a band play.

Anyone going to concert dont bother you are looking at stage through a barrer and no way are you getting to the bar. Typical limerick city cant organise anything. Waste of money!!!!!

How bitterly disappointing. Queued for 1.5 hrs, no barriers or queue management. No port, whiskey or even cups when we got to the counter...and worst of all we missed most of the concert:-(

You missed the countdown!!! I watched it on a tiny screen in the empty Heineken bar while you scrambled to clean up after the coronas...joke. Fitting end to a badly organise night.

What a joke!!!!!! Was so embarrassed that I brought friends down to this!!!! Will be asking for a complete refund!!! People there were roaring laughing at us when we tried to explain what was going on!!!! Ie; queues 45 minutes for a drink!!! And u could not see anyone....absolute joke!!!!!!!! City of culture???? City of robbery more like!!!!!!!!!!! 9 disappointed people I brought to this!!!

If I could give zero stars I would! How could you mess up the countdown! You could have gotten everything thing else wrong and it wouldn't have mattered as long as you got the countdown right!

Piss poor management and layout. Complete clusterf*ck at the bar and how no one was crushed or injured at the gate is a miracle. As for the countdown...!!! Music was good though specially Strypes

Paid for tickets and left. I know of many people who did likewise. Long wait times between acts. No right to re-enter if we decided to leave and warm up somewhere, crazy long ques for beers, I was there early and texted everybody I knew warning them not to come along."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭bennyl10

What happened with the countdown?
    Seen an awful lot complaining..

bennyl10 wrote: »
    What happened with the countdown?
    Seen an awful lot complaining..

It was after midnight already apparently when they decided to countdown to midnight :D

It was after midnight already apparently when they decided to countdown to midnight :D

The one thing they had to do.. and they didnt.. typical :p

bennyl10 wrote: »
    The one thing they had to do.. and they didnt.. typical :p

You couldn't make it up...actually it was entirely predictable that this was going to be a farce, I said so myself in this thread but was attacked for saying so. Proven right in the end :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

I thought the fireworks were great the best we have had in the city for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

You couldn't make it up...actually it was entirely predictable that this was going to be a farce, I said so myself in this thread but was attacked for saying so. Proven right in the end :D

Kind of sad that you seem to take pleasure in the fact that an event that should have been a big deal for Limerick flopped.

tommy249 wrote: »
    Kind of sad that you seem to take pleasure in the fact that an event that should have been a big deal for Limerick flopped.

I'm annoyed that they bollixed it up and ruined the night for so many people. I'm glad I didn't go. But you can't point out the oh so predictable outcome on here or question anything or you get rounded on immediately. It is the culture in Limerick. I'm glad that certain people have egg on their face and the more vocal of them are nowhere to be seen or in some cases, banned.

If more people questioned the running of these events and demanded proper organisation and planning then we could all be posting about what a wonderful start to the city of culture last night was.

I think it was a great thiing for limerick, with some great acts..

But my god to get the countdown wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

I don't think it's about taking pleasure-just the reality that these events always seem to be managed in a shambolic manner in Limerick.I remember the Millenium celebrations and they were equally amateur.People paid good money for the event they deserve better.It will be interesting to see if the Leader spins it as a massive success for the city or mention the valid criticisms on Facebook and twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

went to fireworks and the gig last night

plus points for me

loved the fireworks
    music was brilliant. favourite were Coronas followed by Strypes, Maverick Sabre.

negatives

layout of the venue was flawed with a pinch point as you entered the main stage area. Everybody seemed to be compressed to that one right hand side but if you went through to the left there was loads of room. I was fine being over 6 foot but I could see smaller people not having a great time in the crush. This would need to be addressed if the gig was ever repeated

beer tent was badly laid out. Lots of tales of people waiting ages to get beer.

Countdown got screwed up

Overall
    I enjoyed it, it made a change and I think if was done again I would go back.

sleepyman wrote: »
    I don't think it's about taking pleasure-just the reality that these events always seem to be managed in a shambolic manner in Limerick.I remember the Millenium celebrations and they were equally amateur.People paid good money for the event they deserve better.It will be interesting to see if the Leader spins it as a massive success for the city or mention the valid criticisms on Facebook and twitter

I'll forever be haunted by the slideshow projected onto king johns castle and the swirling laser light. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It flopped through sh1tty organisation, considering all this city of culture malarkey you'd think they'd get something as simple as a new year's eve countdown right.

Did Dolores only play three songs? Thought she was headlining no?

I thought the fireworks were great the best we have had in the city for a long time.

Best was Skyfest 2010 for Paddy's Day

Flopped????

The city was rammed all evening and all night...it was certainly one of the best NYs I've had...

The countdown was a joke, that was the only mistake...

The stage could have been elsewhere but the idea was having the St Marys Cathederal backdrop...

It is sad to see so many posters literally salivating on their keyboards despite the fact they didn't bother going themselves...it's also puzzling to see people taking to social media complaining about ques for drinks/toilets...

The event sold out I believe, 2,500 people attended...the acts that performed were very impressive, I really enjoyed Maverick Sabre despite having no idea who he was...

If you have a problem queing for drinks or for using the toilets at outdoor gigs then you shouldn't have gone in the first place...last night was no better or no worse than any event I have ever attended.

Flopped????

The city was rammed all evening and all night...it was certainly one of the best NYs I've had...

The countdown was a joke, that was the only mistake...

The stage could have been elsewhere but the idea was having the St Marys Cathederal backdrop...

It is sad to see so many posters literally salivating on their keyboards despite the fact they didn't bother going themselves...it's also puzzling to see people taking to social media complaining about ques for drinks/toilets...

The event sold out I believe, 2,500 people attended...the acts that performed were very impressive, I really enjoyed Maverick Sabre despite having no idea who he was...

If you have a problem queing for drinks or for using the toilets at outdoor gigs then you shouldn't have gone in the first place...last night was no better or no worse than any event I have ever attended.

Good for you. But lots of people are complaining that after paying €22 for a ticket they couldn't see the stage properly, couldn't hear the singers due to poor sound, had to queue for up to an hour for a drink only to find that there were no cups and things like hot whiskey/port had sold out quickly, that there wasn't enough toilets, the entrance to the arena was too narrow which could have caused a crush or worse, there was little to no communication as to what was happening next and then on NEW YEARS EVE they make a bollix of the countdown.

Sorry that is just not good enough. A gig for 2500 people should run a lot smoother than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

I was working somewhere else in town last night and most of the people who were complaining were the ones who went down at around 10:30/11 and straight to the bar queue. They left after Dolores O'Riordan. The people who had been there all night had a great time.

I'm not surprised the people who turned up halfway through the gig couldn't get spots or drinks. Every concert I've ever been to has a sudden large influx of casual concert goers just before the main acts who have a completely unrealistic concept of what to expect at a gig!

• Advertisement

Good for you. But lots of people are complaining that after paying €22 for a ticket they couldn't see the stage properly, couldn't hear the singers due to poor sound, had to queue for up to an hour for a drink only to find that there were no cups and things like hot whiskey/port had sold out quickly, that there wasn't enough toilets, the entrance to the arena was too narrow which could have caused a crush or worse, there was little to no communication as to what was happening next and then on NEW YEARS EVE they make a bollix of the countdown.

Sorry that is just not good enough. A gig for 2500 people should run a lot smoother than that.

If they couldn't see the stage they could have moved about..I did

Couldn't hear the singers...sorry but that is nonsense, not as good as an indoor gig...but it was outdoors...it's what you get.

Had to que for an hour?? The longest I spent in a que was 20 mins, not ideal but not a disaster, and out of about 5 trips to the bar I was only waiting for 5-10 mins 4/5 times...not bad at all

I'm not surprised the hot whiskey/port bar sold out...it was baltic...probably surprised a lot of people how cold it gets on the banks of a river...

Wasn't enough toilets...my longest wait was under 5 mins...there was plenty of portaloos

The entrance was designed in such a way as there could not have been a crush once inside the venue...impossible.

There was no communication as to what was happening? We all knew the line up...some people still feed the need to be spoonfed.

The countdown was a joke, but it was 2 mins late...

I have a feeling this will be the theme of you're posting for the year...

Advertisement