Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JellyBean Galaxy s3 today vodafone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

tagoona wrote: »
    The point of facebook/twitter is the public outing of this issue and hoping that the embarassment would cause them to concentrate on a solution more.

I understand that. I just despair at where we are with this kind of stuff. I'm not having a go at your suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

I have disabled S Voice and found some improvement. Can't believe they released these with all the problems people are experiencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Yeah, disabling the S Voice seems to improve things a bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Kalyke

When can we start complaining about them using the Irish market as the guinea pig?

You'd wonder what level of testing was done internally. You'd have thought that you'd ask "some of the lads" to put it on their phone and use it for the weekend at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

Kalyke wrote: »

Not surprising that they have pulled it.

Now what about the people they have left with basically unusable €500+ phones?

Based on that article, they haven't pulled it.

Based on that article, they haven't pulled it.
    Over the weekend reports of the same software being ready to be pushed out for the Galaxy Note 2 emerged but this is surely going to be delayed because of these problems. The update has reached the UK and it seems is available via an OTA update, but we have yet to decide if we will update our unlocked version of the Galaxy S3 until the problems have been sorted.

Update: Samsung has since pulled the software.

Have you got the update and yet and had any issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Installed yesterday and it's the worst OS/firmware upgrade I've ever done on any device.

Samsung Galaxy S3
    It powers off randomly for no reason, even while charging from AC. Won't be relying on my phone as an alarm clock any more.
    Voice call yesterday signal was so bad it was unintelligible, like hailstones on a tin roof.
    Laggy when I press the start button - like "has the f$%*!@g thing powered off again? .... wait ... no, there it is"
    Takes minutes to boot up instead of seconds.
    The clock on the lock screen is left justified instead of centred and it looks gammy. The keys for pin entry have no borders and are squished into the centre of the screen.
    Text messages appear on the lock screen - always thought this "feature" was a baaad idea so why copy it.

Having these problems even though I never used S Voice or any other Samsung app apart from the planner. Going to uninstall them all and see if that helps. Was in the market for a Samsung tablet - not looking good for them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

This is so frustrating...
    I feel like my phone is half bricked.
    The battery is draining like a racehorse, I can't unlock it half the times I take it out of my pocket, holding down the back button doesn't bring up the multivew bar yoke anymore...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Reading on sammobile,(http://www.sammobile.com/2013/11/04/android-4-3-jelly-bean-update-now-rolling-out-for-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-gt-i9300/ looks like theres a problem with the kernel version of the this update. Vodafone as opposed to samsung problem ?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

tagoona wrote: »
    Reading on sammobile,(http://www.sammobile.com/2013/11/04/android-4-3-jelly-bean-update-now-rolling-out-for-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-gt-i9300/) looks like theres a problem with the kernel version of the this update. Vodafone as opposed to samsung problem ?!?!

Page not found? :confused: :P

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I called Samsung customer services about this today and was told to do a factory reset first - he said if that doesn't work to call back again. Might be worth others hitting them too... 0818717100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭muddle84

I tried the factory reset to no avail. I have also emailed samsung about this today. Still no reply though.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

muddle84 wrote: »
    I tried the factory reset to no avail. I have also emailed samsung about this today. Still no reply though.

Yeah I said to the guy that I'd heard the factory reset did nothing but he said it was the first step to take anyway! I asked also if he was aware of the issue, said he was but that people were experiencing different levels of problems, some of which are 'only' slight delays in the say unlocking the phone after pin entry etc, others like what's being mentioned here in terms of shutting down etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Contacted Vodafone today:

[Me] I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. At the weekend, Vodafone rolled out the update to Android 4.3. I allowed it to update. This is causing major problems for my phone. Checking online, apparently a lot of people are having issues after the update. My issues are: Takes from 3 to 30 seconds to "wake up" the phone when I press the power button. Sometimes it wont wake up at all and I need to reboot it. It is slow. It loses WiFi connection or complains that WiFi is "unstable" - even when standing beside the router.
    [Vodafone] Hello! Welcome to Vodafone Live Chat Service.
    [Vodafone] Hi xxxxxx.
    [Vodafone] Yes we are aware about the issue.
    [Vodafone] And you are not the only one affected by this.
    [Me] Good. Glad to hear that.
    [Vodafone] And it is escalated already, not to worry.
    [Me] OK, I presume a fix will be available.
    [Vodafone] Yes for sure.
    [Vodafone] There is no time frame.
    [Vodafone] But the issue is already reported.
    [Me] OK, then I guess I need to wait for Vodafone to announce a fix. Thanks for your help.
    [Vodafone] You are welcome.
    [Vodafone] Would you like me to check anything else for you?
    [Me] No, that is all. Thank you.
    [Vodafone] Grand.
    [Vodafone] Thanks for contacting us. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭Vodafone: Darren

Hi folks,
    Could you try disabling both the s-voice and s-search functions - let us know if there's any improvement after doing so.

Thanks,

Hi folks,
    Could you try disabling both the s-voice and s-search functions - let us know if there's any improvement after doing so.

Thanks,

I have done this and disabled chrome also to try and stop the file downloaded notifications that keep filling up my notifications bar which is extrememly irritating. There seemed to be some improvement in the operational speed of the phone but no improvement to battery life, phone is still slow to wake up when I press the home key if it wakes up at all. wifi connection still crap etc. A little improvement but I still consider my phone useless now when compared to previous functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I have done this and disabled chrome also to try and stop the file downloaded notifications that keep filling up my notifications bar which is extrememly irritating. There seemed to be some improvement in the operational speed of the phone but no improvement to battery life, phone is still slow to wake up when I press the home key if it wakes up at all. wifi connection still crap etc. A little improvement but I still consider my phone useless now when compared to previous functionality.

Yes same with myself have those disabled for a few days found no difference, Id get over the battery issue as per say but the screen lag is unbearble.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Clear data under chrome, that solved this issues for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yes same with myself have those disabled for a few days found no difference, Id get over the battery issue as per say but the screen lag is unbearble.

Yeah same here... it's terrible... the lag is killing me.

Worst issue is not being able to answer calls. The screen remains black, but the phone vibrates. Have to wait until it rings out and then call the person back... This essentially makes the phone useless for its primary activity.

Clear data under chrome, that solved this issues for me

I seen your post earlier on and tried this but sadly this did not eliminate the problem for me so that is what drove me to disabling chrome. This had no affect on this particular problme either. I even cleared everything off the standard original internet explorer and still no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I seen your post earlier on and tried this but sadly this did not eliminate the problem for me so that is what drove me to disabling chrome. This had no affect on this particular problme either. I even cleared everything off the standard original internet explorer and still no difference.

Do the files still exist? I deleted them to try fix the problem (it didn't) but maybe that helped when I cleared the data

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muddle84 View Post
    Do the files still exist? I deleted them to try fix the problem (it didn't) but maybe that helped when I cleared the data

Go to Settings , Application manager , ALL, scroll down and find 'Downloads' (there are two of them) and Clear cache, Clear data and Force close. Then restart the phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muddle84 View Post

Go to Settings , Application manager , ALL, scroll down and find 'Downloads' (there are two of them) and Clear cache, Clear data and Force close. Then restart the phone.

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

Hi folks,

Thanks,
    Have both disabled since yesterday with no/slight improvement. Very delayed response from the phone, froze twice today and had to remove battery to restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

I'm having the same issues. Screen goes black when incoming call. I missed 2 calls from my boss yesterday and again today because I couldn't answer. The screen takes ages to unlock. Battery life tiny and I even turned off mobile data to spare it. Kind of defeats the purpose of a smart phone. Any point ringing Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Not good enough, I am livid over this. Full charge at 7am, dead with minimal use by 2pm (hardly using it to save as much as possible). Given the job I do having a 'phone' that wont work is a serious inconvenience.
    Along with all the other issues this is becoming a major problem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Really pissed off here. Two S3's in the house have been rendered almost useless by this update. The lag and battery life is horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Cant find anything on the net that shows Vodafones obligation to customers however they have basically hacked our phones and disabled them for the most part. Won't stop them whipping their direct debit out in a few weeks without a word of apology though.

Advertisement