Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,912 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Can we assume a legacy mode for playing standard PS4 games on a giant virtual screen with surround sound, in 2d I wonder? BluRay similarly on a giant virtual screen?
    Seems a shame to miss that trick.

Yeah would be good for people that have the TV hogged by X Factor and Coronation Street as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I know discussion has been very VR focused here of late, but had to post this...

http://gamingbolt.com/dx-12-will-improve-xbox-one-gamess-performance-reduces-cpu-utilization-by-50

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I know discussion has been very VR focused here of late, but had to post this...

http://gamingbolt.com/dx-12-will-improve-xbox-one-gamess-performance-reduces-cpu-utilization-by-50

Could this be Blast Processing made real?
    Will it really even out the performance gap between the two consoles in the thread title?
    The bulk of PS4 and XB1 consoles have yet to be sold so there may be time for the "damage" to the XB1 by poor comparative performance could be undone.
    Unless it's all crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Isn't DirectX 11 meant to help with using more cores already though?

Maybe it can use the power of the cloud or whatever. Or is it this generation's Super FX chip?

I kinda wish Microsoft and Sony would stop throwing random numbers and stats at us and start throwing really good games instead. I don't care if it does eleventy billion frames per pixel bump map. Just make it fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

wrt40 wrote: »
    It's certainly nothing new that's for sure. I'm also very surprised the hardware is still so bulky, apart from improved display there hasn't been any progression in the past 20 years. We should be looking at lightweight, wireless google glass type hardware by now.

Yeah and we should be in flying cars and hover-boards too.

Just find it amusing at forming an opinion and dismissing it straight away whilst never using

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They should be striving to make games look better and run smoother if it's the type of game that warrants good visuals, which loads do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Isn't DirectX 11 meant to help with using more cores already though?

Maybe it can use the power of the cloud or whatever. Or is it this generation's Super FX chip?

I kinda wish Microsoft and Sony would stop throwing random numbers and stats at us and start throwing really good games instead. I don't care if it does eleventy billion frames per pixel bump map. Just make it fun.

Sounds like you need a Wii U in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Any idea how that works? I'm guessing it tries to stimulate the blinking in shutter glasses and it would only really work on an OLED screen which the current Sony model doesn't have. The LCDs I imagine will still have significant ghosting.

Was working so only relying now.

No, it's not a shutter glasses effect where only 1 side is rendered at a time.

They were talking about low persistence frames and there's a lot more information from Valve on it who did the actual research.

Oculus were at 60Hz and the new dev unit is 120Hz but from Valves research that by itself still isn't enough, and that at 1080p @ 90 FOV you'd need between 300-1000Hz which isn't doable for a consumer product now even before you even try to build a PC to drive it. The persistence being how long the frame stays on the screen before fading, usually it's right up until the next frame, but using a low persistence display (which can be done with LCD but it'd be better with OLED) would mean that each frame will fade to black earlier before the next frame is displayed.

Stobing could then be an issue then but again depends on the eyes, display, and positioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I know it's Unpopular opinion around here, but I am one of the pricks who wants these consoles to be damn more powerful.
    I love Dark Souls 2, I really do. I got 40h in it already and I am still not near the end. But every single time I play it I think to myself: God dammit, why did you not just make it for PS4 and Xbox one! It looks dated and a lot of scary creatures do not even look scary as they look crap. The atmosphere is shot too, because lightnings effects and over all zone look bland. The loading times every time you die are freaking annoying. There is even lag when you go in to menu or talk to npc.
    Dark souls 2 is great game and good gameplay matters most, but god, how much better it would be if it would not be stuck on this ancient hardware. I really doubt that pc version this time around will look much better as it's essentially better frame rate and higher res texture job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The DX12 for Xbox looks like mantle for xbox 1 no? Shift a bit of cpu work onto the the gpu and use the cpu cores more efficently also. From what ive seen mantle offers its best benefit on under powered cpu systems,not sure if the benefit will allow the xbox to suddenly have 1080p60fps every game

Nothing new there but in fairness there are some improvements to be had from mantle so maybe xbox 1 will benefit to a degree from DX12,did they not announce this a few weeks ago? There was even an amd rep on stage with MS guy,obviously amd are not looking to keep the idea of low level api's to themselves

Also can anyone answer this,would it be possible to stream games via ps now to the ps4 and use morpheus? Thus removing the need for the ps4 to do all the processing. I thought this might be the case but from watching the discussion here im figuring adding latency is not a good thing

• Advertisement

But every single time I play it I think to myself: God dammit, why did you not just make it for PS4 and Xbox one! It looks dated and a lot of scary creatures do not even look scary as they look crap.

I love advancement in graphics, but I feel DS2's looks are part of it's charm. Also the game is just so good, that it's a non issue for me in this case.

Something like Skyrim, I'd be looking for it to have the best graphics possible, but I dunno. Dark Souls 2 is like a punk album, I don't care how badly it's recorded. Within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,912 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I know it's Unpopular opinion around here, but I am one of the pricks who wants these consoles to be damn more powerful.
    I love Dark Souls 2, I really do. I got 40h in it already and I am still not near the end. But every single time I play it I think to myself: God dammit, why did you not just make it for PS4 and Xbox one! It looks dated and a lot of scary creatures do not even look scary as they look crap. The atmosphere is shot too, because lightnings effects and over all zone look bland. The loading times every time you die are freaking annoying. There is even lag when you go in to menu or talk to npc.
    Dark souls 2 is great game and good gameplay matters most, but god, how much better it would be if it would not be stuck on this ancient hardware. I really doubt that pc version this time around will look much better as it's essentially better frame rate and higher res texture job.

It would look prettier, play the same, I'd have to pay for online and cost 70 euro in the shops.

I'd rather a PC version. Because I'm a cheapo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

It would look prettier, play the same, I'd have to pay for online and cost 70 euro in the shops.

Only another month ! I think it'll be worth waiting that extra bit longer just for a better first time experience !

5Q644Hm.jpg

I don't think you understand my point. On pc, it's going to be just an improved old gen version. Where if they would build it from ground up for already better spec machine, it would be just so much better done.
    I payed 60eu for ps3 version which runs like a dog, so 70eu for working properly version sounds not bad. I have already ps+ subscription and not having it while having any PlayStation product is plain stupidity. ( unless you don't have Internet)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

HA, i paid £20.... med ??? :D

Magill wrote: »
    HA, i paid £20.... med ??? :D

How are you enjoying it? Having fun? Killed a lot of bosses, oh wait! :pac:

PS+ is totally useless to me. I like owning the games I want so when they come up on PS plus the reason I don't own them is that I never would have played them in the first place :)

I'm hoping the PC version of DS2 has the better lighting system that was shown last Summer at trade shows.

PS+ is totally useless to me. I like owning the games I want so when they come up on PS plus the reason I don't own them is that I never would have played them in the first place :)

I'm hoping the PC version of DS2 has the better lighting system that was shown last Summer at trade shows.

Well, ps+ definitely gave me a lesson of enjoying games and not owning them. I was sceptical of it myself, but now I see it as,great service. Nothing stops me of playing that game to death while having it on ps+. And in a few years i can pay fraction of the price when it was brand new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

PSN+ has been great for me with my Vita, coming to it late and having most of the goods stuff from the first 12 months just, essentially, given away.
    But I take Retr0s point, if a game was good enough I'd have bought it in the first place.

• Advertisement

I can't pick up all the games I want, I don't always have the money or the time. I swear it feels like PS Plus is designed for me sometimes with the games. XCom. Sleeping Dogs. Metro Last Light, MGS Rising and so many more were games that escaped me for whatever reason, but I really wanted to play.

Not to mention games I traded, regreted trading and wanted to play again. And Vita games, I pretty much don't buy Vita games and just play the PsPlus ones now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

wrt40 wrote: »
    We should be looking at lightweight, wireless google glass type hardware by now.

Why should we be? How do you expect to magically go from 20 year old tech to that, especially as the moment that people try to reinvigorate the idea others, like you, bash the concept immediately.
    What incentive would there be to drive the tech forward, if everyone had your attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I really doubt that pc version this time around will look much better as it's essentially better frame rate and higher res texture job.

I dunno, if the early versions of the game running on PCs is any indicator to how the PC version will look, then it will be a significant difference imo.

Just look at 1:56 comparison of the area, on the retail release it's like looking down into the fiery pits of ps2 graphics or something. Where the texture is repeating is so clear you could draw a line where it begins and ends. I'm not even a huge graphics slut or anything, I've only got a 600 series GPU and favour FPS and performance over graphics anyday... but damn, that is some difference when you really compare it. The only thing now is to see if the actual PC version will look like that either.

Back on VR, I do think the hardware limitations of the Ps4s VR will not make it the same device as Occulus Rift. If they make a lot of good games designed especially for Sony's device then yeah sure I can see lots of fun for a person who maybe only has a PS4. But anyone with a decent PC rig would do themselves a favour and pick up an Occulus whenever it's ready. The cinema mod and crazier stuff like GMOD support is enough to make it more attractive than whatever Sony may come up with. And in the end, you're limited by Sony and their DRM, so no mods or as many indie games which is really where VR is going to get some of its best stuff.

But Sony should definitely have some kind of online cinema game using their online film renting, maybe even using sync'd blu rays or some such - that would be killer for PS4 friends to enjoy movies together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Great news for xbox owners today, Phil Spencer, the new head of the Xbox division has announced that they have secure the IP rights to titanfall. This effectively means that they have secured Titanfall and all its future sequels as Xbox and Windows PC exclusives. A great move. As phil realises, its logical, forcing our opposition lower.

Looking forward to see what else phil can accomplish as head of xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

hard to know what to believe today eh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Everyone sell your PS4's. Titanfall is an Xbox One exclusive franchise.

Oh wait.

Great news for xbox owners today, Phil Spencer, the new head of the Xbox division has announced that they have secure the IP rights to titanfall. This effectively means that they have secured Titanfall and all its future sequels as Xbox and Windows PC exclusives. A great move. As phil realises, its logical, forcing our opposition lower.

Looking forward to see what else phil can accomplish as head of xbox.

Well if that is true and not an April fools joke, then to gamers it's a sad day,but to fanboys - good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

TBH with the news that Nintendo are looking to purchase Sony's PlayStation and phone divisions, I think this thread can probably be closed now.

I read that Iwata had until June to turn things around and it looks like he has now. I wonder what this means for Project Morpheus and the Vita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Well if that is true and not an April fools joke, then to gamers it's a sad day,but to fanboys - good day.

I'll have my black armband on all day…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

irishmover wrote: »
    Everyone sell your PS4's. Titanfall is an Xbox One exclusive franchise.

Oh wait.

missing nothing really..I have it on PC and xbox and barely play it on PC.
    Think I played 2 rounds total on xb1.
    I don't think much of the game to be honest..it's grand to pop onto for a few mins and blast away but then I just lose interest. Might be something to do with the bots etc.,..I've always hated AI bots in multiplayer games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement