Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best Sunday A, am sure you'll run a great race and show you really are the RunningKing!!!!! Run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

Best of luck!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Best of luck, A. You've done a great block of measured training, you'll storm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Good luck on Sunday. Hope you have the result your training deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of luck A. Can't wait to see the race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

You've done some amazing sessions and training, the omens are very good for Sunday! Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Had to drop by and wish you the very best for tomorrow A. Yourself and WW did a marvellous job on the Novices Thread - very generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow A.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck, A. May the hard work bring its just reward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Give it socks tomorrow A. Training has been fantastic, trust it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thanks all for the good wishes - greatly appreciate it.

Just to recap on the weeks training just gone.

Monday: Rest day.

Tuesday: 2m@ MP / 3 min @ 10k / 4x30s

The 2m at MP felt tougher than they should, but thats normal.
    The faster, zippier stuff felt fine.

7m total.

Wednesday: 4m easy in the PP - 8.09 pace.

Thursday & Friday were planned rest days - no running - quick visit to the expo and another Epsom salts bath.

Saturday: I planned a 2m shake out today, but after being at a GAA Blitz in Portmarnock for the bones of 5 hours in a very nippy breeze, I though the better of it.

Resting & carbing up.

Strange - not nervous about the race, focusing on it as another run. - Not worried about splits as such - just want to get as close as possible to 6:35 ave per mile. I feel I'll be chasing this downwards from half way, so I guess I'm looking to run a negative split. Here's hoping.

Best of luck to everyone else running it - and thanks for the support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

All the best AMK! Have a good one!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Very best of luck A, leave it all out there! I'm sure you will. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Best of luck tomorrow AMK.

Well.......hhhmmmm.........that didn't go to plan.

3.17 for me - 25 mins over my planned time - cramp from mile 13..........yes mile 13.

Cannot understand it at all. 8x20m+ runs, hydration & nutrition bang on. Copied my San Seb prep.
    Was gutted afterwards, tears and all.

But its only a run. I got to run - and I'll run again.
    We get caught up in finish times etc - but I discovered in this training cycle that I love running. Racing is part of it, but only part of it. I love running. I love training. I love racing - but not as much as I love training :)

I'm away for a few days - Report to follow next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

3.17 for me - 25 mins over my planned time - cramp from mile 13..........yes mile 13.

Cannot understand it at all. 8x20m+ runs, hydration & nutrition bang on. Copied my San Seb prep.
    Was gutted afterwards, tears and all.

We get caught up in finish times etc - but I discovered in this training cycle that I love running. Racing is part of it, but only part of it. I love running. I love training. I love racing - but not as much as I love training :)

That's the spirit! Good man. Sometimes there is just no explanation to things that happen to us in life. You might seek to examine everything forensically and it might not throw up any answers. Don't let that take over. You made no mistakes here. Just bounce back like I know you can. Remember these things are sent to test us, and i know you will pass the test!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Cramps are such a head scratcher, i experienced a similar story to you in Berlin '16 feeling the cramp tingle at 7 miles when I thought i was in big PB shape.

Youll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sorry it didn't go to plan Alan.

One thing to consider is if the LGFA for 5 hrs the day before had any impact? Were you standing or sitting for this duration? It's part of our lives when our kids are playing matches but i remember from last year standing for approx 2 hrs while eldest played in her football final and it definitely impacted on the marathon the next day. Just something to consider in your analysis.

Hope your are ok, enjoy your few days away and then regroup and on to the next target. Your training definitely has been faultless so maybe it just was "one of those days"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Saw you doubled over on the Stillorgan overpass, with some girl rubbing your legs !

First reaction, "Jesus are you alright, and what the F*** are you doing way back here ?"

Second Reaction, "I'm actually going to beat AMK" :)

Sorry for the lack of pity... Get well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Bad luck Auld fella, you could always consider jumping into another race soon, training is all there. You seem to be putting it into perspective very well. There'll be better days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Have to say I was devastated for you when I saw the tracker time, was sure it was a mistake. Your attitude is to be commended - you've imparted an amazing amount of knowledge and top notch advice to the novices - it's refreshing to see you're taking some of it yourself. Enjoy the break, you'll come back better and stronger of that I've no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Sorry to hear that it went wrong on the day but you've a great perspective.

The training won't go to waste - you've had setbacks before and come back stronger and no doubt you will again.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Was gonna say on Strava that it’s more about the journey to the start than the race itself but was afraid to annoy you. It is though - races help to structure training with a plan, etc. but at the end of the day (for me anyway) running is a great life balancer - stress disappears and mind gets filled with happy family thoughts and an appreciation to be able to do what we do.

Enjoy a few beers for now and enjoy making plans for the next target.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hard luck A. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Cannot understand it at all. 8x20m+ runs, hydration & nutrition bang on. Copied my San Seb prep. Was gutted afterwards, tears and all.

But its only a run. I got to run - and I'll run again. We get caught up in finish times etc - but I discovered in this training cycle that I love running. Racing is part of it, but only part of it. I love running. I love training. I love racing - but not as much as I love training

I was thinking the same thing re: training v racing only the night before DCM - I was almost annoyed that I had to taper and them spend a few weeks recovering.

Your obviously far more experienced than me - all I can say is cramping is a b1tch especially during a marathon and when it happened to me 2 years ago it was in muscles I'd never had problems with. FWIW - I thought I had prepared well for Cork this year and totally bombed after 12 miles and had a crap race. But the training I did stood to me and I built on that for Dublin. So yeah, it's only a run, in fact it's only one run out of many runs that went well. It's just bad luck that the one that went bad was the race. You still have all the training under your belt. But as I said - your far more experienced than me so you probably know all this already.
    Currently away myself for a couple of days - so this may be the beer talking!

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Saw you doubled over on the Stillorgan overpass, with some girl rubbing your legs !

First reaction, "Jesus are you alright, and what the F*** are you doing way back here ?"

Second Reaction, "I'm actually going to beat AMK" :)

Sorry for the lack of pity... Get well. :)

:pac::pac: - love that, Dave.

I was actually fine - but I couldn't pass a pretty girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

It was 2012 I believe, we were both Novices under the expert guidance of YoungAnne, you could see Johnny & yourself were the class of the group(no disrespect to other 2012 Novices meant), as the old saying goes 'class is permanent'. You'll come good again Alan.

In my ‘Grand Plan’ I was going to run 2:53 in Dublin and follow it up with a 2:49 in Manchester or Rotterdam.
    I had the magic formula for getting through Marathons without cramp as proven in San Sebastian last November.

So following a great summer of training where I ran 36:09 for 10k and 28.53 for 5miles (these times indicate a 2:47 marathon based on Vdot) – I was starting my Marathon training in good nick.

I followed a very similar training schedule to my San Sebastian training that resulted in a trouble free and ‘comfortable’ 2:58:01. This was based on the structure of P&D with the Steve Way sessions built into the MLR’s and a long run ‘with Stuff’ every 2nd week.

In the build up to Dublin I had done 8x20 mile runs, including 2x23m. I had also done the ¾ marathon 3 weeks ago in a controlled manner and felt great on finishing at an ave pace of 6:44 (some miles at MP/some slower than MP). The sessions often resulted in 11 miles at MP or faster as part of a 16m midweek session.

I handled Race Week pretty well, I didn’t run the 3 days before & took Friday off work and rested up as I knew I would be on my feet on the Saturday at a blitz – but I don’t think this took too much out of me.
    I followed the usual formula of magnesium supplements, increased sodium, took zero tabs in my water every day – Even the weather played ball and we had superb conditions. So I was set for a great race.

I had the pleasure of a lift into the start area and the use of an office on Mount Street as a base – so again, this was perfect.

I joined my team mates and made our way – a light jog – to the start line, settling in with the 3hr guys. In conversation around us, there were a couple of guys (inc a club mate) who had similar aspirations of going out at 6:35’s – so I decided to work with them, rather than the original thinking of taking the 1st 5-6m about 10secs/mile slower.
    And within a few mins, we were off……….

Within 200-300 meters, I actually got a small stitch in my side and unbeknownst to me, that was the foreboding signs of what was to come. It went after a while and after about half a mile, I found some space and settled just behind the group.

The pace felt ok, obviously as it was just the start  - and we made our way down the quays my watch buzzed for a 6:23 2nd mile – $hit – much too fast and I took my foot off the gas and pledged to watch pace a bit more carefully. The 3rd mile was a drag up Manor Street and came in at a better 6:42.
    Strava tells me that the 1st 5k was 20:30 and I recall wondering how I would keep the pace for a further 23 miles. I can recall feeling similar in San Seb but I ‘ran into it’ then and felt that the same would happen here.

Miles 1-3: 6:38/6:23/6:42

Going up through the PP was great – I was speaking (not a lot) to my clubmate and we agreed that we were a bit too hot and needed to cool the pace a bit. I took on some water and had my 1st Gel going up Chesterfield. I pass a manic AGYG who I thought was having a fit!! (Thanks for the cheers!)
    We go over the 10k mat in 40:58.

Miles 4-6: 6:29/6:39/6:37

Castleknock was brilliant – a wall of noise – lots of friends out and plenty calling my name and cheering. Very proud and a little emotional going through it – really down themselves proud.

Going down Tower Road, I allow myself to recover a bit – I don’t increase speed, but decrease effort a tad. Same in the PP – I do a check on the body, I can still feel a stitch but its manageable – take the downhill easy’ish and get ready for the effort up through Chapelizod. I take some Lucozade sport at Donore and get a cheer from my daughters friends mam “go on Taras dad” :D

Miles 7-9: 6:37/6:29/6:32

The 1st hill at Sarsfield Road took a bit out of me – I didn’t expect that, but glad that I slowed a bit. My clubmate gained a good few meters on me and I let him go. That mile (mile 11) would be 6:51 and my slowest yet. I recovered a bit in the next mile for a 6:32, but was still waiting to get that ‘running into it’ feeling.

Mile 10-12: 6:32/6:51/6:32

Coming into the turn at Dolphins Barn was cool – the crowds brought a smile and I was approaching half way – I’d be counting down soon. I went through halfway in 1.27.xx – and was wondering about the next half, could I hold on? I knew I could slow it down a bit and still hit the target.

As I was going up the Crumlin Road – 2 things happen – (1) I get an overwhelming level of fatigue, was it suddenly warm? Was there a wind? Was it a long drag? The effort felt too high all of a sudden. (2) I feel a twang on my right hammy. Oh NO. Not now – its not even 14 miles. WTF.

I slow down to release the effort levels and let the hammy settle down. I can still feel ‘something’ but its not raising its head – I keep the pace at near 7’s for a couple of miles, but it feels tough.

Even if I wanted to speed up, I don’t think I could. What is going on here? Have I hit the wall after 15 miles?

Mile 13-15: 6:36/6:59/6:55

At this stage, I know 2.53 is off the cards, the aim becomes to stay ahead of the Sub3 group. Coming down the Fortfield Road my hamstring clenches and I have to stop to stretch it out. Its excruciating – memories of my 1st marathon come back to me. It’s a very similar experience as I cramped early then too. Another gel here and more water.

Templeouge Road lifts my spirits, the crowds are always fantastic. I smile inwardly as I remember the 2 difficult Terenure 5m races on this route. Maybe it’s something to do with the location that brings the hardship :D

Mile 16-18: 6:54/7:21/7:01

Just after the 18m mark I stop again – stretching both my hamstrings and funnily enough my calfs now. I cant increase my pace as my body is so fatigued. My stitch is back. Mile 19 brings another stop and stretch. It’s demoralising. I think about my wife and daughters waiting for me near the finish.

Further salt is rubbed into the wounds as the Sub3 gang pass me by on the Miltown Road. I take some delight in seeing Emilia from Dunboyne in the group – she ran a fantastic race.

Another couple of stops as the body is breaking down more frequently.

Mile 19-21: 7:38/7.33/7:45

What follows in the next 3 miles are 3 of the most painful miles from a mental and physical perspective that I have ever experienced.I stop multiple times, calfs and hamstrings on both legs are gone. I’m doing the funny walk. I see a clubmate on his bike, he offers to cycle with me – I recall saying “I cant even walk”.

Roebuck was hell – I think I run up it without stopping, but its 10 min miles. I stop at the top as the legs go again. Another couple of stops going down Fosters Avenue. Someone offers me an electrolyte drink. I cannot wait for the end.

I turn onto the Stillorgan Road and again both legs spasm. I stop and walk a bit, stretch a bit. The 3:10 pace group come through – Anto asks if I’m ok. It’s not pretty.

I walk/jog up the Flyover and it goes again near the top – I stop and stretch and find a man with a phone. He rings my wife to tell her I’m alive. Barely.
    A medic comes over and gives my hamstrings a rub down. I can feel the tension move away. I see Dave jog by and Lorraine, a former work colleague. The body is still tired, I’m jogging. Brian comes by me before Nutley lane.

Jaysus – still some miles to go.

Mile 22-25: 10.17 / 11.47/12.07

The next 2 miles go by without stopping, thank God. I can recall being very emotional at this stage, not teary eyed balling my eyes out :pac: - just being reflective on 15 weeks training for THIS. It cant be fair.

I see my wife and kids about 800m from the finish, I stop and give them a big hug. I run onto the finishing mat – I’m not hearing the cheers, I think I’ve mentally blocked out all congratulations and goodwill. I go through the finish, not a smile, not any emotion.

Mile 25-Fnish. 8:29 / 8:19 (2.38)

I finish in 3:17.
    - It feels like 7 hours.

I make my way back around to the office on Mount Street and bump into my family – they’re not meant to be there, I cant talk to them without crying, so I don’t.
    In the office, there's a buzz of activity from clubmates who ran 2:51 & 3:05 with their families – all happy.
    I sit on my own and shed a few tears – still unable to talk about what happened. 15 weeks, fantastic prep. All the sacrifice.

It wasn’t meant to be like this.

• Advertisement

Follow up post will be an analysis.

Advertisement