Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Someone's on a runner's high tonight! Great post! Love that feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Sunday 11th January - 105 minutes Easy
    13m @ 8:08p/m average (135bpm avg)

Tough out there tonight. The wind was at least as bad and probably worse than Friday. I think it's obvious from my splits where it was helping/hurting. Happy with this and the week overall. Clocked more than 74 miles in the end and I feel great :). Bit of foam rolling later on, then back to it tomorrow. Hopefully I can I beat this week's total.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:54
    Mile 2 - 7:44
    Mile 3 - 7:44
    Mile 4 - 7:45
    Mile 5 - 8:17
    Mile 6 - 8:30
    Mile 7 - 8:46
    Mile 8 - 8:30
    Mile 9 - 8:44
    Mile 10 - 7:43
    Mile 11 - 7:44
    Mile 12 - 8:35
    Mile 13 - 7:53

Monday 12th January - 45 minutes Easy, 65 minutes Easy

Foam rolled and well rested after an excellent night's sleep, I was ready for another double day.

A.M.
    45 minutes Easy
    5.42m @ 8:18p/m average (134bpm avg)

The equivalent of the nursing home special for me. Kept it nice & easy this morning and was genuinely surprised at how fast the splits were.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:17
    Mile 2 - 8:08
    Mile 3 - 8:12
    Mile 4 - 8:19
    Mile 5 - 8:30
    0.42 - 3:38

P.M.
    65 minutes Easy
    8.12m @ 8:00p/m average (133bpm avg)

Pretty similar story this evening. Kept the effort even easier than this morning and coasted along nicely. I was going to do an hour, but added on five minutes as I was half a mile from home and didn't see the point in walking.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:11
    Mile 2 - 7:52
    Mile 3 - 7:56
    Mile 4 - 8:01
    Mile 5 - 8:10
    Mile 6 - 8:10
    Mile 7 - 7:52
    Mile 8 - 7:50
    0.12 - 1:01

Nice start to the week and I even got some core work done in between the runs. A productive day indeed!
    Steady session tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Monday 12th January - 45 minutes Easy, 65 minutes Easy

Foam rolled and well rested after an excellent night's sleep, I was ready for another double day.

A.M.
    45 minutes Easy
    5.42m @ 8:18p/m average (134bpm avg)

The equivalent of the nursing home special for me. Kept it nice & easy this morning and was genuinely surprised at how fast the splits were.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:17
    Mile 2 - 8:08
    Mile 3 - 8:12
    Mile 4 - 8:19
    Mile 5 - 8:30
    0.42 - 3:38

P.M.
    65 minutes Easy
    8.12m @ 8:00p/m average (133bpm avg)

Pretty similar story this evening. Kept the effort even easier than this morning and coasted along nicely. I was going to do an hour, but added on five minutes as I was half a mile from home and didn't see the point in walking.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:11
    Mile 2 - 7:52
    Mile 3 - 7:56
    Mile 4 - 8:01
    Mile 5 - 8:10
    Mile 6 - 8:10
    Mile 7 - 7:52
    Mile 8 - 7:50
    0.12 - 1:01

Nice start to the week and I even got some core work done in between the runs. A productive day indeed!
    Steady session tomorrow.

Nobody likes a show-off:p

Tuesday 13th January - 75 minutes Steady
    11m @ 7:02p/m average (151bpm avg)

Some very treacherous conditions underfoot tonight, along with an icy breeze that would cut right through you. Because of the dangerous surface I almost postponed this until tomorrow, with some easy miles looking far more appealing in the circumstances. However, I managed to find an elongated loop where the icy patches could be avoided, so I got on with it. Headwinds, tailwinds & crosswinds were all features of this run, so the average pace probably tells the most accurate story. Felt like a solid effort.

Splits:

Warm up mile - 8:14 (123pm)

Mile 1 - 6:47
    Mile 2 - 6:52
    Mile 3 - 7:01
    Mile 4 - 7:15
    Mile 5 - 6:55
    Mile 6 - 6:48
    Mile 7 - 7:02
    Mile 8 - 7:06
    Mile 9 - 7:30
    Mile 10 -7:13
    Mile 11 - 6:57

Cool down mile - 8:27 (137bpm)

• Advertisement

Wednesday 14th January - 60 minutes Easy
    7.58m @ 7:55p/m average (135bpm avg)

Felt like a summer's day out there this afternoon in comparison to last night's conditions. Pretty similar to my run on Saturday evening, sub 8 min/mile average at the aerobic heart rate. I suppose it's a vindication of the training that my easy efforts are now this quick. I may have to take an enforced rest day tomorrow, but that's probably not a bad thing as I've run ten straight days in a row now, covering almost 110 miles. If anything, it might freshen me up ahead of Friday's Steady session.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:03
    Mile 2 - 7:55
    Mile 3 - 7:54
    Mile 4 - 7:51
    Mile 5 - 7:55
    Mile 6 - 7:54
    Mile 7 - 7:56
    0.58 - 4:34

In other news, I'll be moving back to the right south side of the city shortly. I'm going to be based pretty close to Tallaght AC's headquarters, so may look into joining there. However that's not for a fortnight or more, so for the moment I won't worry about that while staying focused on Raheny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

In other news, I'll be moving back to the right south side of the city shortly. I'm going to be based pretty close to Tallaght AC's headquarters, so may look into joining there. However that's not for a fortnight or more, so for the moment I won't worry about that while staying focused on Raheny.

Welcome to the Dark side :cool:

Even if you don't join drop the likes of me and DR or that a bell for runs if you ever want a bit of company

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

Don't take offence Ray :).
    I had a look into both clubs as the distance from my new abode would be pretty similar. As much as I like everything about the Brothers Pearse set up, it would be having the track available to me whenever I want that sways me towards Tallaght. There's a session in the HADD plan I want to try soon which involves using a track and I thought that would make the most sense for me.

ECOLII wrote: »
    Welcome to the Dark side :cool:

Even if you don't join drop the likes of me and DR or that a bell for runs if you ever want a bit of company

Thanks. I will do at some stage, altough I need to get both your numbers again as my old phone is f*cked and I never saved them to the SIM :(.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I will do at some stage, altough I need to get both your numbers again as my old phone is f*cked and I never saved them to the SIM :(.
    -I have set-up a Whatsapp group for training runs. It will be mainly Dublin based. If you are interested give me a PM. The idea is to compliment the thread used here. Paces will hopefully vary greatly so will hopefully appeal to many. It will be nothing like Tinder, I swear :pac:.

Drop him a PM, I believe he is even nice enough to let some of "them" into the group :P

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Interesting news, very interesting.

Wednesday 14th January - 60 minutes Easy
    7.58m @ 7:55p/m average (135bpm avg)

Felt like a summer's day out there this afternoon in comparison to last night's conditions. Pretty similar to my run on Saturday evening, sub 8 min/mile average at the aerobic heart rate. I suppose it's a vindication of the training that my easy efforts are now this quick. I may have to take an enforced rest day tomorrow, but that's probably not a bad thing as I've run ten straight days in a row now, covering almost 110 miles. If anything, it might freshen me up ahead of Friday's Steady session.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:03
    Mile 2 - 7:55
    Mile 3 - 7:54
    Mile 4 - 7:51
    Mile 5 - 7:55
    Mile 6 - 7:54
    Mile 7 - 7:56
    0.58 - 4:34

Not sure where you are going ranks as either:D

Is that a subtle way of letting all of us from DNS know that you have "lost our numbers":p

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Is that a subtle way of letting all of us from DNS know that you have "lost our numbers":p

I lost a lot of numbers. When you texted me over Christmas, it took me a while to realise who it was. Have it now though ;)

Friday 16th January - 45 minutes Easy, 75 minutes Steady

Another good day :)
    I took a rest yesterday as planned, but I thought a double was warranted today as I won't be getting any miles in tomorrow either.

A.M.
    45 minutes Easy
    5.52m @ 8:10p/m average (134bpm avg)

A nice spin on a cool crisp morning to help waken up the legs ahead of the evening's steady run. Not quite sure what happened in the third mile?

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:18
    Mile 2 - 8:11
    Mile 3 - 7:39
    Mile 4 - 8:16
    Mile 5 - 8:19
    0.52 - 4:19

P.M.
    75 minutes Steady
    11m @ 6:59p/m average (151bpm avg)

I was looking forward to this. I feel like I've just about mastered the 150bpm HR and I was hoping tonight would prove it. I wanted to ensure the wind wouldn't affect me too much either, so I changed up the route a bit hoping to avoid any negative effects where possible. It was also nice to take in some different scenery for a change. I drove down to Sutton, parked the car and jumped on the DART to Dun Laoghaire. After a 45-50 minute journey, it was time to make my way back to the car on foot. I feel my tactic worked well. The wind was at it's worst head on in the warm up mile, slightly hurting but more across in the early to middle section, definitely behind in miles 8 & 9 and then pretty neutral for the final two. I slightly underestimated the distance of the course meaning I had to cover half a mile further than planned in the cool down, but that won't do me any harm. I'll enjoy my pints tomorrow after that. Definitely going to move to 155bpm for the next Steady session.

Splits:

Warm up mile - 8:10 (127bpm)

Mile 1 - 7:05
    Mile 2 - 6:59
    Mile 3 - 6:57
    Mile 4 - 6:56
    Mile 5 - 7:02
    Mile 6 - 7:04
    Mile 7 - 7:02
    Mile 8 - 6:50
    Mile 9 - 6:50
    Mile 10 -7:04
    Mile 11 - 7:01

Cool down 1.5 mile - 12:27 (8:18p/m pace) (135bpm)

Still find it astounding how you have the mental discipline to do this type of work, I have never met anyone who has been able to keep it going for sustained periods such as yourself fair play. Definitely paying dividends

ECOLII wrote: »
    Still find it astounding how you have the mental discipline to do this type of work, I have never met anyone who has been able to keep it going for sustained periods such as yourself fair play. Definitely paying dividends

Another way of saying "You're a stubborn f*cker" :pac:

Another way of saying "You're a stubborn f*cker" :pac:

Stubborn is okay as long as it's grounded in a sensible approach better to do the simple things well than complicate for the sake of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Tallaght are crap. There is a real club 15 mins away.

• Advertisement

15 minutes from Tallaght? Where?

There only a 3/4 club last time I checked ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just catching up on your log - very impressive. Dont forget there's a fine club very close to your workplace with great facilities, assuming the track resurfacing project will finally be complete!

Sunday 18th January - Rest

Even though it wasn't a definite, I was kind of expecting today to be a rest day. Late one last night, along with a long shift in work today meant I would only ever get this in with a very early start. That was never going to happen after a certain point (or pint :)) last night. I'll push the long run back to tomorrow and leave my next Steady session until Wednesday. No harm done as I had planned to drop the mileage & my second Steady session next week anyway with the Raheny race on Sunday.

Elsewhere, I received my acceptance email into the New York marathon yesterday. Really looking forward to that now too :).

New York - didn't realise you'd picked your autumn marathon. Definitely the one I most want to do, having ignored it completely for years when I lived there. Looking forward to the report already. :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    New York - didn't realise you'd picked your autumn marathon. Definitely the one I most want to do, having ignored it completely for years when I lived there. Looking forward to the report already. :)

The bookies must be feeling the pain. I assume they are paying for this.........and then they have to cover the cost of Boston when he joins you and I, Murph, in Spring 2016!

Murph_D wrote: »

I am mad to run all the majors. Tokyo looks the only dodgy one now as I'm already qualified for London & Boston. Really can't wait until November though. New York is my favourite place I've ever been to :).

FBOT01 wrote: »
    The bookies must be feeling the pain. I assume they are paying for this.........and then they have to cover the cost of Boston when he joins you and I, Murph, in Spring 2016!

I suppose you could say that, but not in the way you might assume.....:pac:
    Boston 2016 was always my plan as soon as I ran the qualifying time in Berlin. It looks like an expensive few months for me now with New York too, but I suppose I can't let the 2014 Class of Berlin down :).

Monday 19th January - 120 minutes Easy
    15m @ 8:01p/m average (135bpm avg)

I was expecting the splits here to be a bit slower than recent runs at the same HR (due to a tiring & dehydrating weekend), but they were pretty close and actually compare favourably to last weekend's LSR. The early miles involved a bit of climbing with a slight breeze against, but I got all that back in the last five. Happy in the circumstances. Going to ensure I get plenty of sleep & water ahead of the race this Sunday.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:05
    Mile 2 - 8:03
    Mile 3 - 8:10
    Mile 4 - 8:14
    Mile 5 - 8:18
    Mile 6 - 8:09
    Mile 7 - 8:16
    Mile 8 - 8:17
    Mile 9 - 8:13
    Mile 10 - 8:05
    Mile 11 - 7:37
    Mile 12 - 7:31
    Mile 13 - 7:40
    Mile 14 - 7:49
    Mile 15 - 7:51

• Advertisement

I suppose you could say that, but not in the way you might assume.....:pac:
    Boston 2016 was always my plan as soon as I ran the qualifying time in Berlin. It looks like an expensive few months for me now with New York too, but I suppose I can't let the 2014 Class of Berlin down :).

Who knows, the timing might even be right for a Ferris B comeback. :)

Advertisement