Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done on the PB - nice report too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Terry049

Congrates on the PB Peter, another great race report!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Well done on the PB Peter. I think it would have been hard to expect that you would have done yourself justice yesterday with the nature of your training lately. I especially found in the few months after a marathon where I am largely doing easy miles that I can run at a good hard pace for a long time but if I try to do anything sharper, then I am out on my feet very quickly. Once you get down to doing some more specific, sharper stuff, I am sure that you will knock minutes off that time not a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done P again. Good to chat afterwards. There's no doubt 2015 will bring you great rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Smart running P, very well done. And what a pic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Just catching up here P - congrats on yet another PB, big year ahead for you I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Finally got my Garmin data from Sunday's race uploaded: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/684132742

Due to unavoidable circumstances (work, social gatherings, moving house), I haven't run since the race on Sunday and look unlikely to get anything done before this Friday. I'm thinking this may not be the worst thing though as I'll definitely be fully recovered from the Raheny effort when I do eventually get out.

At the moment I'm considering a Steady session on Friday with some easy miles on Saturday, followed by the Trim 10 Miler on Sunday. If I manage that, the week won't be a total disaster despite the low mileage.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Due to unavoidable circumstances (work, social gatherings, moving house), I haven't run since the race on Sunday and look unlikely to get anything done before this Friday. I'm thinking this may not be the worst thing though as I'll definitely be fully recovered from the Raheny effort when I do eventually get out.

At the moment I'm considering a Steady session on Friday with some easy miles on Saturday, followed by the Trim 10 Miler on Sunday. If I manage that, the week won't be a total disaster despite the low mileage.

Any thoughts?

Well done on Sunday, Peter and good luck with the move... I guess we won't get to ignore you as often on the seafront any more ;)

annapr wrote: »
    Well done on Sunday, Peter and good luck with the move... I guess we won't get to ignore you as often on the seafront any more ;)

Thanks.
    I might drop down the odd time if things get too friendly elsewhere :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Any thoughts?
    Depends how fresh you want to be for Trim I suppose. How bout hill sprints or strides on Friday and an easy 10k on Saturday if you want to race hard. Better save yourself for Enniscorthy cos I'll be yapping at your heels :D*

*class example of a completely empty threat just thought Yaboya could do with a laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Any thoughts?

Presume you have considered the impact of another hard run on Sunday on next weeks training and how that fits with plan for Hamburg? Was Trim always in the plan?

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Presume you have considered the impact of another hard run on Sunday on next weeks training and how that fits with plan for Hamburg? Was Trim always in the plan?

Hamburg is the main goal race for me at the moment, but I do like racing in general and find it difficult to stay focused on just one race a long way in the future. My thinking since December has been to follow the HADD plan, but make exceptions where necessary that allows me to race and set new pb's in Raheny (5m), Trim (10m), Enniscorthy (10k), Bohermeen (HM) and a 5k (possibly a parkrun) pre-Hamburg. Then I plan to pb in Hamburg and start off on a new mission of pb's from May onwards :cool:

As much as I like having a marathon to target, I find it much easier to get myself out doing the training when I have some intermediate targets too. Aside from that (touching wood), I think sometimes high mileage weeks and hard efforts see me produce my best race performances. Arguably my most impressive run of 2014 came in the Longford HM, where I finished really strongly having only run a big 5k pb the previous Saturday & a 6x1k VO2 Max session on the Tuesday as part of 69 miles in the preceding 8 days.

Anyway, since I can't get out running today I've tried to be constructive with my time by writing up a small preview on next week's race.
    Enjoy!

Enniscorthy 10k

Yaboya1 (Scratch) – is hoping to run a pb and break 37 minutes for the first time. Last Sunday's 5 mile time suggests this should be possible, but burnout is possible with a 10 miler to come in Trim this weekend. Vulnerable.

Calvin Johnson (-3mins) – encountered some unexpected heart problems in Raheny causing a DNF, but had gone into that race in good form expecting to run a big pb. He’ll come here fresher than originally anticipated because of that, and with training going so well lately the arbitrary 40 minute time barrier may be under real threat.

Pacing Mule (-10mins) – Improved training has seen pb’s at all distances in the past 12 months, bar a hiccup in the DCM. This can probably be put down to illness quite close to the race, with an impressive run in Raheny last Sunday backing up that theory. Has publicly stated he’d be hoping to run 48:30-49:00 here, but something closer to 47:30 is definitely a big possibility in my opinion.

MKDTH (-20mins) – is like the human marmite of the A/R forum. Constantly creates debate and opinion with his crackpot theories and revolutionary training style. Ran a very nice pb in Fingal of 57:25 last July, but recent form suggests that won’t be threatened here. Maybe he’s been sandbagging in recent training/races in pursuit of a favourable handicap mark and some easy money from his rivals. We’ll find out soon enough.

A hard one to call. Opinions on this four way contest are likely to be divided right up until the results are in. Let’s hope nobody falls out over it :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sounds interesting, I may have to make this trip myself.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Sounds interesting, I may have to make this trip myself.

I'll have to add you to the preview......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Eh, ok, I'll have a crack at sub 50 but not promising anything....pass the sand bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Anyway, since I can't get out running today I've tried to be constructive with my time by writing up a small preview on next week's race.
    Enjoy!

Enniscorthy 10k

Yaboya1 (Scratch) – is hoping to run a pb and break 37 minutes for the first time. Last Sunday's 5 mile time suggests this should be possible, but burnout is possible with a 10 miler to come in Trim this weekend. Vulnerable.

Calvin Johnson (-3mins) – encountered some unexpected heart problems in Raheny causing a DNF, but had gone into that race in good form expecting to run a big pb. He’ll come here fresher than originally anticipated because of that, and with training going so well lately the arbitrary 40 minute time barrier may be under real threat.

Pacing Mule (-10mins) – Improved training has seen pb’s at all distances in the past 12 months, bar a hiccup in the DCM. This can probably be put down to illness quite close to the race, with an impressive run in Raheny last Sunday backing up that theory. Has publicly stated he’d be hoping to run 48:30-49:00 here, but something closer to 47:30 is definitely a big possibility in my opinion.

MKDTH (-20mins) – is like the human marmite of the A/R forum. Constantly creates debate and opinion with his crackpot theories and revolutionary training style. Ran a very nice pb in Fingal of 57:25 last July, but recent form suggests that won’t be threatened here. Maybe he’s been sandbagging in recent training/races in pursuit of a favourable handicap mark and some easy money from his rivals. We’ll find out soon enough.

A hard one to call. Opinions on this four way contest are likely to be divided right up until the results are in. Let’s hope nobody falls out over it :P

You'd know it was you setting the odds P. You think I could get closer to 47:30, McMillan says 48 for me. You're aiming sub 37 and you're still only giving me 10 minutes. Odds are stacked for you ;)

Added adrian522........

Enniscorthy 10k

adrian522 (-8mins) - may be a late supplementary entry to the race. Fortunately for him that's still only €10 :pac:. Ran a pb of 35:43 in Raheny which he celebrated by acting thoroughly disgusted. Is now claiming he'll be happy with a sub 50 here when in reality he should be aiming for sub 45, especially given (like Dubgal72) he's been using performance enhancing footwear lately.

A hard one to call. We've got the full package in this five way contest: Sandbaggers, idealists and bullsh*tters. I'll let you decide which is which. Let’s hope nobody falls out over it :P

Haha the divil makes work for idle hands....I've got a house full of coughers and splutterers, what's your excuse?! :D

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Haha the divil makes work for idle hands....I've got a house full of coughers and splutterers, what's your excuse?! :D

Are you looking to be added to this too?

Nope, wouldn't want to shame ye all...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Are you looking to be added to this too?

ah go on, this is getting funnier with every addition... btw, I will be nowhere near enniscorthy, so don't bother !

annapr wrote: »
    ah go on, this is getting funnier with every addition... btw, I will be nowhere near enniscorthy, so don't bother !

Dubgal72 has been added thanks to anna :)

Enniscorthy 10k

Dubgal72 (-5mins) – normally smashes her goal time by at least two minutes, so expect a pre-race target of sub 44 here. Went out and shamelessly destroyed the field in a recent X-Country, despite claiming she'd be happy just to get around beforehand. Has called me a bousy in the past, but everyone knows it takes one to know one........

adrian522 (-8mins) - may be a late supplementary entry to the race. Fortunately for him that's still only €10 :pac:. Ran a pb of 35:43 in Raheny which he celebrated by acting thoroughly disgusted. Is now claiming he'll be happy with a sub 50 here when in reality he should be aiming for sub 45, especially given (like Dubgal72) he's been using performance enhancing footwear lately.

It's a six way contest now. All bets are off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Hamburg is the main goal race for me at the moment, but I do like racing in general and find it difficult to stay focused on just one race a long way in the future. My thinking since December has been to follow the HADD plan, but make exceptions where necessary that allows me to race and set new pb's in Raheny (5m), Trim (10m), Enniscorthy (10k), Bohermeen (HM) and a 5k (possibly a parkrun) pre-Hamburg. Then I plan to pb in Hamburg and start off on a new mission of pb's from May onwards :cool:

As much as I like having a marathon to target, I find it much easier to get myself out doing the training when I have some intermediate targets too. Aside from that (touching wood), I think sometimes high mileage weeks and hard efforts see me produce my best race performances. Arguably my most impressive run of 2014 came in the Longford HM, where I finished really strongly having only run a big 5k pb the previous Saturday & a 6x1k VO2 Max session on the Tuesday as part of 69 miles in the preceding 8 days.

Sounds like you have thought it all through. Plenty to keep you focused in that list and with Sub 3 already in the bag you have nothing to lose.....GO HARD OR GO HOME is obviously your motto for 2015;)

Also sounds like I will have to set some serious time aside for race report reading :D

Hmmmmm conscription on boards eh.....

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

If you don't mind I'll join the fun for Enniscorthy. Hoping for 39:50.
    Most recent race ferricarrig 5 mile, 31:38........

This is shaping up to be a good day out...

If you don't mind I'll join the fun for Enniscorthy. Hoping for 39:50.
    Most recent race ferricarrig 5 mile, 31:38........

Another late entry. Give me some time to study the form and I'll be back with a synopsis ;)

• Advertisement

Continued.......

Enniscorthy 10k

barryoneill50 (-3mins) – could probably be likened to an old school Martin Pipe style plot for a big handicap. Very little info is leaked from the stable and posts of: am - 5, pm - 6, total - 11 don't give much away in terms of form. Has been dropping down the weights (& belt sizes) since early in the season and may be ready for a huge pb attempt here. Can only be judged on his recent Ferrycarrig run formwise, but he ran that coming off an illness and could be capable of better. Let's forget about the field and make this a straight match between him & Calvin Johnson. Evens each of two. Who do you want?? :)

Dubgal72 (-5mins) – normally smashes her goal time by at least two minutes, so expect a pre-race target of sub 44 here. Went out and shamelessly destroyed the field in a recent X-Country, despite claiming she'd be happy just to get around beforehand. Has called me a bousy in the past, but everyone knows it takes one to know one........

Let the trash talk begin........

Advertisement