Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rant Thread(a place to dump ur baggage)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

dirtbirds shaving in the changing rooms in work and leaving their 'trimmings' all over the sink for someone else to clean up. That's twice this week. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Lying awake for 6 hours after going to bed and only getting to sleep an hour before the alarm went off :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

GAA "dedication", "professionalism" when really it mean that they spend 3 hours 3/4 times a week needlessly in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

rom wrote: »

GAA "dedication", "professionalism" when really it mean that they spend 3 hours 3/4 times a week needlessly in a car.

Runners with chips on their shoulders about gaa. How many gaa players do you hear giving out about athletics.

Runners with chips on their shoulders about gaa. How many gaa players do you hear giving out about athletics.

True but training 3/4 days a week is far from professional. If they trained at a local club instead of spending time in the car then fair enough but they don't.

• Advertisement

PS my chip is from GAA club 5k fundraisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

PS my chip is from GAA club 5k fundraisers.

Yeah, just give up already :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

I hate the term 'mini' marathon for races.. Its not a fcuking marathon, its 20 miles short of a marathon! Call it a 10k for fcuks sake and don't be taking away from the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

pa4 wrote: »
    I hate the term 'mini' marathon for races.. Its not a fcuking marathon, its 20 miles short of a marathon! Call it a 10k for fcuks sake and don't be taking away from the real thing.

Saw some people on the twittersphere the other day calling the Run in the Dark a marathon... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Similarly, I hate when people use the phrase "the women's marathon" to mean a 10k or similar. Annoys both my inner feminist and pedantic runner at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have thought a lot about my rant this week. It pains me to say it but my rant this week is boxing. It's my favourite sport but at the same time it is such a load of crap . Back in the late 80's, early 90's one of the best boxers in the world was James 'Lights out' Toney (anybody who remembers the Benn-Eubank era will remember him as the guy they avoided).
    Here he is fighting at his best:

This is how he spoke back then:

Toney was a middleweight but he went on to win titles all the way up to heavyweight (even beat Holyfield). But guess what? at 45 he is still fighting Last night he was fighting on a low rate crappy 'prizefighter' tournament on skysports. A former word best fighter is now geting beaten by bums:

What a shame that they let guys like this keep on fighting. the guy was pure class but he just doesn't know where to stop ( or else he lost all his millions; which is a different rant). If anyone thinks it is all harmless listen to him here in a recent interview and compare his speech to the previous one I posted:

or
    http://www1.skysports.com/watch/vide...ra-james-toney

Apparently his brain scans turn up 'normal' which is why he is allowed a license to box, but it must be clear to listen to the interviews that he has not got normal motor-neuron skills. Why do they let him keep fighting?? :rolleyes:

So despite my love of the game; my rant is boxing.

P.S. One of the best fights this year was unbeaten Russian against an Irish/Cuban heavyweight. A total war.

Unfortunately the Russian ended up in hospital and has brain damage. You would expect his promoters/ insurance would pay his medical damages but guess what? They have to fundriase to pay his medical bills:
    http://www.boxingscene.com/magomed-a...-family--71360
    What a ****ty sport this really is sometimes.

My rant this week is definitely Boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

@Meno's boxing rant - Not sure if such a structured post is within the spirit of true ranting ! Mods ????

True but training 3/4 days a week is far from professional. If they trained at a local club instead of spending time in the car then fair enough but they don't.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I wouldn't mind if he was talking in aboastful or poor me way about having to train. Only thing that comes thru in that video is the pride he has in representing his parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

menoscemo wrote: »

Apparently his brain scans turn up 'normal' which is why he is allowed a license to box, but it must be clear to listen to the interviews that he has not got normal motor-neuron skills. Why do they let him keep fighting?? :rolleyes:

So despite my love of the game; my rant is boxing.

I remember a line from When we were kings, "The thing you love destroys you" and I think that describes boxing perfectly. Was watching Ali's last fight a while back(Berbick) the fight itself was ridiculous, Ali was spent (even Berbick was looking at the ref trying to get him to stop it) but the post fight interview is shocking. Ali's speech is seriously slurred, to the point of incomprehension. Very sad, he was this magnificent fighting machine but he just couldn't walk away when he knew he should.
    So I suppose my rant is people who cant walk away before the thing they love destroys them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Willy o fcukin dea on the wireless givin out about how offensive he found Nidge's comments about limerick....seeminly he called it a kip

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Willy o fcukin dea on the wireless givin out about how offensive he found Nidge's comments about limerick....seeminly he called it a kip

And to think that man was in charge of our armed forces. Gombeen. No doubt he'll sail in again in the next election.

Someone needs to clear the leaves off the trails in the PP. It's a disgrace, someone could turn an ankle on the roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

PaulieC wrote: »
    Someone needs to clear the leaves off the trails in the PP. It's a disgrace, someone could turn an ankle on the roots.
    Someone needs to clean my house too. Has anyone seen someone lately? Where the hell is he anyway?

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Someone needs to clean my house too. Has anyone seen someone lately? Where the hell is he anyway?

umm, in case it wasn't evident from the content, that was a tongue-in-cheek rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

PaulieC wrote: »
    umm, in case it wasn't evident from the content, that was a tongue-in-cheek rant.
    Glad to hear that ! Was in the park this morning and was wondering how you could possibly think that someone could clear up the leaves :confused:- it was raining leaves all the time we were there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

i really don't get this... a long long sports report on rte news. maybe 10 minutes... and the xc in santry today gets literally a 10 second mention??? some top Irish athletes out there today and this is the respect they get? not one second of video footage either. really baffled..tennis got 500% more coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Poxy chest colds that WONT.GO.AWAY. Come on medical science, get your sh1t together.

Edit: also treadmills. No breeze, no scenery (leering at people in the gym doesn't count), feel like a hamster.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ososlo wrote: »
    i really don't get this... a long long sports report on rte news. maybe 10 minutes... and the xc in santry today gets literally a 10 second mention??? some top Irish athletes out there today and this is the respect they get? not one second of video footage either. really baffled..tennis got 500% more coverage

Maybe they should change sports coverage to participation,
    A fair amount of people play or are involved in GAA, Football & Rugby, massive amount of people involved in running. Feck all people actually play tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

They can buy in coverage for tennis or golf, to show footage of the XC they'd have to send a camera out themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,666 ✭✭✭Cartman78

It takes months and months of dedicated and disciplined training to achieve a decent level of fitness, yet only a couple of weeks for this fitness to vanish into thin air.

Fupp you man-flu and actual flu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Plantar fascitis according to the doctor. Rest for a month and see then he said. First marathon is in mid-February. :confused::mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Cabaal wrote: »
    Maybe they should change sports coverage to participation,
    A fair amount of people play or are involved in GAA, Football & Rugby, massive amount of people involved in running. Feck all people actually play tennis.

Yeh but 99% of runners couldn't give a toss about elite athletics. That's the sad reality of it. This also doubles up as a rant of mine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,666 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Tristram wrote: »
    Plantar fascitis according to the doctor. Rest for a month and see then he said. First marathon is in mid-February. :confused::mad::(

There isn't a forum big enough on the planet to fully encompass my hatred of plantar faciiiiiiiiitis :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The bailout

Americans

The hypocrisy of someone who works for an American corporation including Americans in this list :)

The Church

Icy weather

Simon Cowell

Hecklers

The **** who tried to throw water at me from a passing car the other week while I was out running (and missed....the dickheads )

Bono

The gob****es on radio stations (not just RTE) who scramble to get that waffler Eamon Dunphy on the air every time anything interesting happens in Soccer

Whoever decided turnip was an edible vegetable

whoever decided cauliflower was an edible vegetable.

Being an overpronator.

The fact that my 3 year old has inherited being an overpronator from me

Social media

the hypocrisy of someone who includes social media in a list like this..... posting it on social media.

Is "the special Olympics" really a good name for it? ****in no!

cross training

Monday's

January's

That's enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I'd rather be American than from ****ing Laois!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement