Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rant Thread(a place to dump ur baggage)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Arriving 35 minutes early for a meeting because I didn't know how long it would take to get to Letterkenny - could have used that time at home !

If TRR was around I could just practise my parking ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

kit3 wrote: »

If TRR was around I could just practise my parking ;)

:)

In theory it might be "safer" to reverse although I'd love to see the stats for pedestrians injured from reversing cars versus road rage injuries due to individuals like myself who have a fallen down moment and ram an incompetent reverser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

TRR wrote: »
    :)

In theory it might be "safer" to reverse although I'd love to see the stats for pedestrians injured from reversing cars versus road rage injuries due to individuals like myself who have a fallen down moment and ram an incompetent reverser.

Considering you can't find your way from the M50 to the N3 it's a complete wonder how you'd find your way into a parking space ;):D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Considering you can't find your way from the M50 to the N3 it's a complete wonder how you'd find your way into a parking space ;):D

ha ha, my bad sense of direction usually only effects me though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

It is illegal to reverse out of a parking space into oncoming traffic.

• Advertisement

ger664 wrote: »
    It is illegal to reverse out of a parking space into oncoming traffic.

I'd say it's illegal to drive directly out as well :)

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Fcukers goin on junketts to new orleans....

+1 - I got to go to Cork yesterday & Letterkenny today & I'm going all the way to Swords next week - yippee :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Drivers in a line of slow moving traffic who leave a gap of about a car and a half between them and the car in front of them. Do you not realise that the space you are refusing to use is causing tailbacks and preventing people making it through junctions. Or in my case today, preventing people exiting from a side road.
    Look around FFS and be aware of the impact your driving is having on others. :mad:

These are the same numpties that take about 20 seconds to react to a change in traffic lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

tunguska wrote: »
    Heres one I just cant figure out. Im running on the right hand side of a path, I see somebody approach from about 200m away, they're on the left hand side of the path. Grand, you stay on the left side, I'll stay on the right hand side and all is good in the world. But this is where things get blurry and descends into the inexplicable. Pedestrian whos walking towards me, and now just about 50m away(and on left hand side of path) suddenly veers over to the right hand side of path, directly into my line and stays there and unless I move over to the left hand side(or onto the road, which happens a lot)theres gonna be an accident.
    I cant understand this. Why move off your line(which is clear) and into the line of an oncoming runner, and create the potential for a nasty collision??? Why do people do this, its bonkers and makes no sense whatsoever.

I think most people pass on the left rather than the right. I think it may be related to do the car system but im not sure, but cities and countries go one way or the other as it makes sense on city streets to have such a protocol. So if they come to a situation where they are confronted with passing someone in the not usual way, they sometimes revert to the left not realising that they dont actually have to always pass that way, and its perfectly OK to take each situation on its own merits. Ive noticed it too, and thats the only reason i can come up with how frequently it happens.

+1 - I got to go to Cork yesterday & Letterkenny today & I'm going all the way to Swords next week - yippee :rolleyes:

I hear Swords is beautiful this time of the year!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Reversed into parking space this morning, it was most satisfying. I might do it all the time now, especially in Stillorgan Shopping Centre car park :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

PaulieC wrote: »
    Reversed into parking space this morning, it was most satisfying. I might do it all the time now, especially in Stillorgan Shopping Centre car park :D

Bring it to the rave thread :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Drivers in a line of slow moving traffic who leave a gap of about a car and a half between them and the car in front of them. Do you not realise that the space you are refusing to use is causing tailbacks and preventing people making it through junctions. Or in my case today, preventing people exiting from a side road.
    Look around FFS and be aware of the impact your driving is having on others. :mad:

These are the same numpties that take about 20 seconds to react to a change in traffic lights.

Not sure if you are arguing for them to leave a bigger gap or a smaller gap?

The driving too close behind a vehicle is part of what can cause unexplained tailbacks on roads. Driving too close behind, car in front slows down, next car brakes a bit, next car brakes a lot, next car brakes a lot more, everyone behind then comes to a stop and a traffic jam is created.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

robinph wrote: »
    Not sure if you are arguing for them to leave a bigger gap or a smaller gap?

The driving too close behind a vehicle is part of what can cause unexplained tailbacks on roads. Driving too close behind, car in front slows down, next car brakes a bit, next car brakes a lot, next car brakes a lot more, everyone behind then comes to a stop and a traffic jam is created.

I'm talking about crawling traffic approaching a roundabout, comes to a standstill every so often, yet the driver behind still leaves a massive gap to the car in front when they stop.

In this instance they were stopped at the point a car from a side road (across opposite lane) could pull into. If they had pulled ahead & closed the gap, said car could have exited while rest of traffic was stopped & no traffic coming other way.
    Instead, they continued to block the space & when traffic started to move again, car from side road is stuck & can't get out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

^ Yep, they are numpties.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm talking about crawling traffic approaching a roundabout, comes to a standstill every so often, yet the driver behind still leaves a massive gap to the car in front when they stop.

In this instance they were stopped at the point a car from a side road (across opposite lane) could pull into. If they had pulled ahead & closed the gap, said car could have exited while rest of traffic was stopped & no traffic coming other way.
    Instead, they continued to block the space & when traffic started to move again, car from side road is stuck & can't get out.
    In that scenario, there should be a junction box, preventing entry to the junction box unless the traffic is moving (and stopping in the junction box is a penalty point offence).

Speaking of penalty point offences, one of them is:
    Driving a vehicle when unfit - 3 points on conviction

Surely there should be some kind of mandatory 1/4 mile test (let's be generous and say 2 minutes) to run a quarter mile. If you're not fast enough - 3 penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hipsters! Bloody hell, I can't stand hipsters!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

In that scenario, there should be a junction box, preventing entry to the junction box unless the traffic is moving (and stopping in the junction box is a penalty point offence).

Yes! A junction box! That'll work :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Surely there should be some kind of mandatory 1/4 mile test (let's be generous and say 2 minutes) to run a quarter mile. If you're not fast enough - 3 penalty points.

Feck it - I'd hit 12 points and be disqualified. :D

I can't stand taxi drivers........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Playing both sides ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I'm currently at Tara Street waiting for a train that's running 20 minutes late. Do you think Irish Rail would make an announcement or apology? Not a f&&&ing chance. Tossers.

TRR wrote: »
    I hear Swords is beautiful this time of the year!!! :pac:

:) would you believe I got that wrong - meeting is in Finglas !

But I do get to Ennis in December - ooh the excitement - how could New Orleans top that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Drivers who drive 6 inches out from the kerb

:) would you believe I got that wrong - meeting is in Finglas !

But I do get to Ennis in December - ooh the excitement - how could New Orleans top that

Well Lonely Planet has described Finglas as the Venice of Dublin, .......... oh no wait, they didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Actually...
    It's good practice to leave space between cars in built up traffic.
    The old adage was you should be able to see the rear wheels of the car in front when stationary, as this allows enough space to manoeuvre out of the way of emergency vehicles should it be required.
    So the next time any of you are stuck in traffic try to be aware that how you drive (or stop in congestion) does have an impact on others, especially in an emergency.
    I've been in the unenviable position of being in an ambulance trying to get somewhere in a hurry and it is incredible frustrating seeing all the numpties parked bumper to bumper trying to save 20 seconds while someone in the back could really do with that 20 seconds advantage.
    But yes, on the blocking junctions thing and slow to react from lights, yes that is annoying.

another thing...people who quote posts from a few pages back....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

menoscemo wrote: »
    Can we keep this a Rant thread? (please...)

QFT.

Motor forum this way for all your motoring 'discussions' ;)

(and yes, this is a rant)

Playing both sides ;)

Well spotted ;)

b.harte wrote: »
    The old adage was you should be able to see the rear wheels of the car in front when stationary,

How close tall people get to drive to the car in front.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

"Runners" taking > 40 minutes to finish 2.5 mile run

Seriously, get a dog and go for a walk instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement