Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rant Thread(a place to dump ur baggage)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Rant:

The fat f&ck sitting next to my table eating her lunch like a homeless person.

Stop slopping and close your mouth you f&cking whale.

No other tables available and I had already ordered before sitting down. Kill me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,160 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Am I right in saying that in that whole article they did not list her weight or BMI? Ridiculous...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Doesn't list her weight or BMI, but says she's a size 26.

Weight - 18 stone

yaboya1 wrote: »

How can anyone take an article like that seriously? Give us some hard facts or F off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Does it not state the weight in the first or second paragraph? 18 stone.

• Advertisement

Some of the comments in response to the article are laughable. This is part of one in particular:

"at least she accepts herself & the things she can't change"

Yep, she was just born to be a size 26.
    No point in cutting down on the junk food or exercising as it won't make any difference according to this person.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Does it not state the weight in the first or second paragraph? 18 stone.

You're right. Missed that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Some of the comments in response to the article are laughable. This is part of one in particular:

"at least she accepts herself & the things she can't change"

Yep, she was just born to be a size 26.
    No point in cutting down on the junk food or exercising as it won't make any difference according to this person.
    God yeah that makes me so angry.
    It's like when people say "it's fine for you as you're naturally slim".
    No I'm not. I deny myself foods I'd love to eat every single day. If I ate like you and I didn't exercise every day I too would be 20 stone. Gggrrrrr

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ososlo wrote: »

There was a thing in the independent today about how much water to drink. Crazy advice, some thing like multiply your weight in KG x 0.04 to get how much you should drink.

Apparently I should drink nearly 3 litres per day, not counting any actual exercise I am doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

It's just very sad that at a time when poor diets and sedentary lifestyle's have never been as problematic, that one of the country's largest papers allows crap like this to be published.

It is however a reflection on the "woe is me" attitude that is rife in our society, accepting what is put in front of us without asking hard questions on how to change them around - "well there's nothing I can do about my weight, so I might as well be happy":(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Assuming she's a roughly average height of 5'4", she has a BMI over 40, class 3/morbidly obese. There is NOTHING healthy about that and in fact it should be a kick in the arse to her to lose some weight.

If she is happy being overweight then best of luck to her. There is mental and physical happiness. She could break her ass trying to slim down and be miserable all the time. If she still has fairly decent mobility then that is all that matters.

^ My old flatmate was a similar size to her and ended up having to have drastic surgery on both knees at 25 because of the pressure her weight was putting on them.

Assuming she's a roughly average height of 5'4", she has a BMI over 40, class 3/morbidly obese. There is NOTHING healthy about that and in fact it should be a kick in the arse to her to lose some weight.

But she's happy :pac:, and remember:

"I could drop dead of a sudden heart attack tomorrow, but if the unfairness and randomness of life has taught me one thing, it's that it's just as likely to be healthy old you who hits the deck."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

I dunno guys - tbh you're all coming off like a bunch of judgemental ****ers... It is entirely possible that this woman IS happy - and if that's the case who I am I to judge it?

I run cause I love it but I kinda realise an OCD laden, manorexic lifestyle isn't for all ???

walshb wrote: »
    If she is happy being overweight then best of luck to her. There is mental and physical happiness. She could break her ass trying to slim down and be miserable all the time. If she still has fairly decent mobility then that is all that matters.

No all wrong. As said above she's accepted how she is and has learned to be happy with her lot.
    Physical and mental health and happiness are intrinsically linked.
    She might be ok now as she's young but in 10 or 20 years how will her mobility and mental health state be?

Is this a medical opinion or is it anecdotal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

dukeraoul wrote: »
    I dunno guys - tbh you're all coming off like a bunch of judgemental ****ers... It is entirely possible that this woman IS happy - and if that's the case who I am I to judge it?

I run cause I love it but I kinda realise an OCD laden, manorexic lifestyle isn't for all ???

She also plays in goals for her local GAA team! :D

Tom Joad wrote: »
    She also plays in goals for her local GAA team! :D

Now yer talkin TJ!!! 'hon GAA

Rant: the term 'hon - muck savage Hiberno- English at its worst...

Reason number 2 million I'm glad to live inside the pale ;)

No all wrong. As said above she's accepted how she is and has learned to be happy with her lot.
    She might be ok now as she's young but in 10 or 20 years how will her mobility and mental health state be?

Yes, that was the point I was trying to make. Mental and physical happiness are linked. As she is now physically she may be mentally very happy. We don't know if her shedding stones will have that same effect. She may end up miserable from the effort and new lifestyle needed to maintain that weight loss. As it stands she says she is happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

little wonder she's a fatty. In that article alone she was eating in 5 different places with 5 different people.

Yes, that was the point I was trying to make. Mental and physical happiness are linked. As she is now physically she may be mentally very happy. We don't know if her shedding stones will have that same effect. She may end up miserable from the effort and new lifestyle needed to maintain that weight loss. As it stands she says she is happy.

Well I guess she's not going to come out and say she's unhappy even if she is. Then we'd all just call her a lazy fat person for not doing something to fix it.
    She might be miserable trying to change things in the beginning but I'd be fairly sure she'd ultimately be a happier person for longer if she changed her lifestyle.
    Do morbidly obese old people seem really happy? I can't say I see that many of them around to be honest...........

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

dukeraoul wrote: »

Ok ok, we are all coming accross a little judgemental. It's her life after all. And maybe she IS happy (although I'd argue that it's very subjective).

And yes, an OCD laden lifestyle isn't for everyone.

But I don't think that's really the point. Is it fine to tell the nation that it's ok to be fat, you're just as likely to die from a heart attack as a thin person, accept who you are and don't bother trying to change???

I think not. There are enough people (including real exercise enthusiast's) out there as it is struggling to put on their gear every day, struggling to loose the extra few pounds/stone without (another) voice in their ear telling them "what's the point, you're happy enough as it is".

(Hopefully) we all think we're happy to some extent but if we don't try to change and improve ourselves (in whatever way) then how will we ever know how happy we are.

That might be me coming accross as a judgemental ***er but I'm sick of people trying to prove to the world how happy they are. If you're happy, then great - but to publish it to the nation in such an irresponsibe way...please.

Sorry - rant over....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I don't believe she is happy for one minute either. People who are happy don't need to write about how happy they are in the national papers. Now, if her point is for people to stop taking the piss out of fatties, that's fair enough - however if her point is that she's sick of pressure to get healthy, then I think she should become wiser as to what her weight is doing to her body.

Well I guess she's not going to come out and say she's unhappy even if she is. Then we'd all just call her a lazy fat person for not doing something to fix it.
    She might be miserable trying to change things in the beginning but I'd be fairly sure she'd ultimately be a happier person for longer if she changed her lifestyle.
    Do morbidly obese old people seem really happy? I can't say I see that many of them around to be honest...........

I am sure she would like to be slimmer, but maybe the effort required isn't something that she can give, hence she is happiest to stay as she is. Nobody is every truly happy. We all have issues and insecurities that we'd love to eradicate. Sometimes we need to live with them and cope as best we can. Now, if she keeps gaining weight then she runs the risk of becoming less happy and less healthy and less mobile. But that is the future. That future is for her to create as regards her weight and health and lifestyle choices. Right now she could maintain the 18 stone weight and suffer no real health scares. We can't know that her current health and weight will lead to health issues in the future.

I am sure she would like to be slimmer, but maybe the effort required isn't something that she can give, hence she is happiest ti stay as she is. Nobody is every truly happy. We all have issues and insecurities that we'd love to eradicate. Sometimes we need to live with them and cope as best we can.
    Speak for yourself! I am truly happy thanks very much :)

Speak for yourself! I am truly happy thanks very much :)

So there is nothing in your life that you would change or hope for? If not, great. You are probably in the minority.

I've been fat in the past - 15 stone ish @ 5'6" and a size 18/20. Can honestly say that my general level of happiness in life is much higher as a fit size 12 who runs, swims or cycles pretty much every day.

So there is nothing in your life that you would change or hope for? If not, great. You are probably in the minority.

No just get faster at running and I'm working on that ;)
    I'd change things for the better for people around me but me myself - no I wouldn't change anything. I'm inherently happy :)

• Advertisement

No just get faster at running and I'm working on that ;)
    )

Interesting. Similar to a person who is obese. Both trying to reach a goal. But, in pursuing that goal you could become unhappy and tired and irritable etc. And you may never reach it. That is what needs to be factored in. Not everyone who reaches a desired weight or healthy weight becomes more happy for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement