Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 - First Impressions

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Pursume Premium for 3 doesnt count toward any kind of content for 4 ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Soby wrote: »
    Pursume Premium for 3 doesnt count toward any kind of content for 4 ?

No, it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    AA (especially the lav) was op as sh*t for a brief time in BF3 and then it got nerfed to hell. I get the feeling the BF4 AA might join it in that nerfing.

though you can load 30mm and zuni rockets into the AA and it can go toe to toe with the IFVs and boats if you want :D

I could never get into the AA on BF3, pre or post nerf as there was usually only one and it was taken.

On BF4 it isn't actually OP, it takes a lot of work to kill infantry, literally 4-5 seconds of bullets to take em down.

Unreal against choppers and non-armour but I even killed two LAVs yesterday even though it takes 5 rounds of full ammo to take it down (usually get from 1 - 20 in damage on a full blast from around 150 metres). What the Lav driver was doing is anybodys guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Wish I could get into BF4 but frankly since I'm getting errors and kicked off the server and having to restart literally 5 out of every 6 games. Its become a completely f**king pointless task trying to do anything. 1 more night of this & I'm just going back to good old reliable BF3 for a few months till DICE get their **** together. Its not my DSL connection and I've made sure nothing is running over the network.

Raging at this stage as its hugely frustrating when a match is either starting to get interesting or your about to finish with a team win and the next minute its freeze and ctrl+alt+del again.

Edit: Another freeze, ffs. :(

Edit 2: Another "Game Dsiconnected, something went wrong". Is anyone else getting this level of BS.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm starting to sound like a broken record (I'm sorry) but I'm really starting to hate this game. It and I don't get along. I find it clunky, ugly and horrible to play. I've been playing Battlefield to varying degrees since 1942.

I thought I had fixed the stutter but it still feels awful to move. I'm constantly being pushed away from walls or objects. I notice vehicles like jeeps seem to bounce laterally too which is weird. When I prone there's a lottery if I actually stay prone or immediately stand back up. Switching weapons often takes several attempts at pounding my keyboard. I'm considering getting a new keyboard, I really hope there's just something wrong with my trusty old mechanical.

Graphically it may have all the pixels but the game is just plain ugly IMHO. Maps like Dawnbreaker look terrible. The building textures are an eyesore and the road and pavements just look like one flat surface. It looks like something from SimCity. Many of the models are overly chunky looking too. Also the saturation is too high and it often looks cartoony, granted BF3 overdid the filters a bit but it at least looked somewhat normal.

The only map I've really enjoyed is Golmud Railway on Rush. It's the only map where I can actually see anything and have some idea what the **** is going on. I can't seem to stay alive at all. A significant portion of my spawns result in instant death. If I do manage to get a shot off at someone I'm gunned down immediately by them or someone else and my bullets seem to do nothing. The horrible kill cam makes it impossible to see what the hell killed me actually looks like so I can learn what to look out for.

I was considering giving BF4 a miss for a few months. I think I've got Military FPS shooter fatigue. Is it just me? :mad:

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    I'm starting to sound like a broken record (I'm sorry) but I'm really starting to hate this game. It and I don't get along. I find it clunky, ugly and horrible to play. I've been playing Battlefield to varying degrees since 1942.

I thought I had fixed the stutter but it still feels awful to move. I'm constantly being pushed away from walls or objects. I notice vehicles like jeeps seem to bounce laterally too which is weird. When I prone there's a lottery if I actually stay prone or immediately stand back up. Switching weapons often takes several attempts at pounding my keyboard. I'm considering getting a new keyboard, I really hope there's just something wrong with my trusty old mechanical.

Graphically it may have all the pixels but the game is just plain ugly IMHO. Maps like Dawnbreaker look terrible. The building textures are an eyesore and the road and pavements just look like one flat surface. It looks like something from SimCity. Many of the models are overly chunky looking too. Also the saturation is too high and it often looks cartoony, granted BF3 overdid the filters a bit but it at least looked somewhat normal.

The only map I've really enjoyed is Golmud Railway on Rush. It's the only map where I can actually see anything and have some idea what the **** is going on. I can't seem to stay alive at all. A significant portion of my spawns result in instant death. If I do manage to get a shot off at someone I'm gunned down immediately by them or someone else and my bullets seem to do nothing. The horrible kill cam makes it impossible to see what the hell killed me actually looks like so I can learn what to look out for.

I was considering giving BF4 a miss for a few months. I think I've got Military FPS shooter fatigue. Is it just me? :mad:

I'm still enjoying it. Moreso now I've port forwarded 3659 and been able to have more matches without being kicked) & I do think its a graphics upgrade at least in terms of texture detail etc but I agree its become too cartoony. Very MW which is the worst insult I can give a game. Its less ARMA more wanker & on Paracel its counter-productive.

I've had countless occasions where I was at 100% health & killed by only 1 shot at range and I'm not talking snipers. On one occasion it was a pistol. Either its rampant hacking or something is very off in terms of programming. The lateral movement of jeeps while jumping is completely at odds with the physics system. Either they did it deliberately to balance their use or its a mistake.

I'm also having the prone issue. Its completely random if you stay down or not. Its not your keyboard regards this or the weapon switching but worth checking if there is 3rd party software interacting like Setpoint etc. I've tried it with an Apple aluminium, Logitech K810 and my primary which is a Razer Orbweaver Stealth, all the same. I also tried it on a different system. Both are Windows 8.1, whats yours?

BTW I think being forced out when going prone in a corner is intentional. Its taking into account when you go prone in a corner your legs have to stretch out so you are forced to move out. A strange moment of realism in a game which has moved away from it in other respects.

As for stuttering I've had to exclude Paracel completely from any game. If it appears in rotation I'm out immediately. Its unplayable. I reckon a patch will sort it out. Apart from that I'd say its more frugal than BF3 which bodes well for the future.

Still bear in mind its only 1.0 but the childish hit crosshair effect has to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I'm having a few issues as well, though graphically I think the game looks good, I have i5 3570K @ 4GHz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670, and the game is installed on a samsung SSD, it runs perfectly on ultra @ 1900x1200.

Rubber banding is ridiculous on some servers, which I can't get my head around, my ping is usually around 40, countless times been shot when I *thought* I was a good few meters past impenatratable cover, I just think the net coding is ... Bad. Shouldn't be the case.

There are plenty of bugs, which I guess can be forgiven on release, they should be easy to fix and probably will be in the near future.

But without doubt the most frustrating thing about this game (which i do enjoy) is the crashes, I'd say with every game there's a good 1 in 3 chance I will crash, on siege of shanghai it's 100% guarenteed and on dawn breaker it's about 90%. Obviously I'm not in the minority and this should not be the case.

I'm annoyed they released it, they HAD to have know how many still unresolved issues they had, I understand they wanted to get the jump on ghosts, but all they will accomplish is pissing off a loyal fan base.

I played a full round of conquest earlier, racked up almost 20K points and was assured my first MVP medal, end of round music had gone for about 30 seconds, enemy 2 tickets remaining... Crash. Felt like punching my monitor.
    filepicker%2FxR5Mc05TbyLHbpwuZUdI_sweetbrown_autotune.jpg

Fenix wrote: »
    I'm having a few issues as well, though graphically I think the game looks good, I have i5 3570K @ 4GHz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670, and the game is installed on a samsung SSD, it runs perfectly on ultra @ 1900x1200.

Rubber banding is ridiculous on some servers, which I can't get my head around, my ping is usually around 40, countless times been shot when I *thought* I was a good few meters past impenatratable cover, I just think the net coding is ... Bad. Shouldn't be the case.

There are plenty of bugs, which I guess can be forgiven on release, they should be easy to fix and probably will be in the near future.

But without doubt the most frustrating thing about this game (which i do enjoy) is the crashes, I'd say with every game there's a good 1 in 3 chance I will crash, on siege of shanghai it's 100% guarenteed and on dawn breaker it's about 90%. Obviously I'm not in the minority and this should not be the case.

I'm annoyed they released it, they HAD to have know how many still unresolved issues they had, I understand they wanted to get the jump on ghosts, but all they will accomplish is pissing off a loyal fan base.

I played a full round of conquest earlier, racked up almost 20K points and was assured my first MVP medal, end of round music had gone for about 30 seconds, enemy 2 tickets remaining... Crash. Felt like punching my monitor.
    filepicker%2FxR5Mc05TbyLHbpwuZUdI_sweetbrown_autotune.jpg

Have you forwarded port 3659. The number of crashes (though still tonnes) dropped when I did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I thought I had fixed the stutter but it still feels awful to move. I'm constantly being pushed away from walls or objects.

they've changed how you go prone near walls to have less of this:

now you automatically push away from walls or objects if your character would normally glitch through them
    I notice vehicles like jeeps seem to bounce laterally too which is weird. When I prone there's a lottery if I actually stay prone or immediately stand back up.

If you go prone while sprinting your character will automatically get up after diving to the ground. The idea I assume was instead of having to tap the prone button to get up then hold shift to sprint from cover to cover players can now just hold shift and they'll go straight from prone to full up sprint.
    Switching weapons often takes several attempts at pounding my keyboard. I'm considering getting a new keyboard, I really hope there's just something wrong with my trusty old mechanical.

that might be keyboard (and I also have a mechanical) I've had little issue swapping weapons, except trying to bind gadgets to my mouse buttons doesnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I've had countless occasions where I was at 100% health & killed by only 1 shot at range and I'm not talking snipers. On one occasion it was a pistol.

guy one shotted me from the top( the very freaking top) of one of the towers in the radio transmitter map ( christ I'm terrible at remembering map names) with the bloody starter pistol.

Also fighter planes.. Guy yesterday was rank 55 and was 59-0 after a full round..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just started the single player campaign tonight, all was well till we hit act 3 the south china seas where you get on a rib to board the titan, this has to be graphically the worst thing I have seen on a console (xbox for me) since the 1st round of 360 launch titles :eek:

Absolutely shocking !!!!! pixelated blocky sky with the dark cloud on the horizon on the right as you board the rib and then the titan which is on fire is surrounded by a blocky static grey cloud, someone tell me my game is glitched or something???????? I did have a sound glitch on the 1st level where a helicopter sound persisted throughout most of it ....

They seem to have forgotten to add any kind of textures to the ship at all , this has to be something they over looked and will be patched??????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

SP is fairly pretty on PC, absolute ****e but still pretty.

Only played it for M249

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

I crash 3 out of 5 games, I get texture pop-in, weird bugs, glitches, mysterious deaths, I don't care. It's been the same for every BF game, they'll patch it, fix it, and it'll be grand in a week or two (or three)
    I do sympathise with those who are on mechanical harddrives, yeah that's a pain, definitely invest in an SSD, they are cheap enough now

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Finished the single player today, best thing I can say about it is that it doesn't take long to finish and unlock the MP weapons. Other than that it's pretty dire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Battlefreeze 4

Advertisement