Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battlefield 4 - First Impressions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Spear wrote: »
    EA do ban the use of VPNs to buy cheaper out of market copies[...]
    since when? bought my BF3 and Premium in Mexico

edit: actually bf3 in russia, premium in mexico :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Loads of indoor action with plenty of scope for playing out in the sunshine.

love it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭battser

Just wondering lads, if anyone on a hd6950 or equiv could post up their impressions and performance that would be much appreciated. Won't be getting to play it till Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

6950 with unlocked shaders here. played comfortably at high with intel 4670k, I've heard the performance is improved in final version, will play tonight hopefully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I played some more multiplayer too last night and Optimisation is just.... WOW. It really looks so great and you dont need dual Titans to hit 60. Looks like I am scraping upgrades plans this year again. No need :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Can get into the game, but every server is showing up as empty, not sure what's going on. Hmmm.

Here's the game running on my ultrawide monitor. Looks fantastic, framerate is only average though, not sure if I can believe people who are saying they're running at high-ultra on single GTX580's, 6950's etc, I've a GTX590 and just wandering around an empty map is 30-60fps, with 64 players I would expect that to be seriously taxing.

Hmmm, my performance is terrible. I seem to be CPU bound, FPS stuck at about 40fps with drops to 15-20fps, doesn't matter what settings I use - and thats a 32 man server. Surely even a 6300 @ 4.2ghz is better than this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭battser

I played some more multiplayer too last night and Optimisation is just.... WOW. It really looks so great and you dont need dual Titans to hit 60. Looks like I am scraping upgrades plans this year again. No need :D

What spec?

@Terror you need to customize the settings on lower end spec. There are lots of things to try which will help out.

I really would have thought an Fx6300 and GTX590 would be good for high-ultra. I know the 590 is, but I didn't expect the performance from my 6300 to be so bad with an overclock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Then joined my clans server where they opted to run all the rush versions of the maps and *wow* the rush version of the maps are ten times better then the bf3 versions, some of them (Locker, Paracel storm and golmud railway) may even be better then the bad company 2 rush maps.

This sounds great, I love Rush so very interested in hearing reviews of it.

One question; how does Rush work for PC players? There is conquest small and conquest large but is there rush small and rush large - wondering how the number of players are capped etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

mozattack wrote: »
    This sounds great, I love Rush so very interested in hearing reviews of it.

One question; how does Rush work for PC players? There is conquest small and conquest large but is there rush small and rush large - wondering how the number of players are capped etc?

rush is standard 32 players on pc, but you'll get the odd server that will push it up to 64 (on bf3 anyway) though the map is not designed for it and end up with some clusterf*cks like metro.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Had great craic on GaelLords lastnight, was in a squad with Ktulu and a few more i recognize from boards.
    Nice server lads, added to favourites!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

I've preloaded it and can't wait until Friday so what VPN software are ye guys on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

I've preloaded it and can't wait until Friday so what VPN software are ye guys on about?

Follow these instructions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaaRDv8wvZY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Doesn't have to be a korean network, the games out in america now. I just use tunnelbear its pretty straightforward.

Burgo wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be a korean network, the games out in america now. I just use tunnelbear its pretty straightforward.

Are there european servers available to connect to or do you have to connect to US?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Theres a few euro servers

horgan_p wrote: »
    Theres a few euro servers

Just checked, there are loads of active BF4 servers in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

battser wrote: »
    What spec?

@Terror you need to customize the settings on lower end spec. There are lots of things to try which will help out.

2500k 8gb ram gtx 680. It ran like a dog in beta, now it is flawless.

I did a FRAP benchmark, and according to that the max, min, avg is somewhere around 60, 32 and 48 on high-ultra - but when I'm actually playing the game, it feels like about 20fps, its so sluggish, and it keeps spiking to what feels like 3 or 4fps for a split second - no idea what's going on. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I did a FRAP benchmark, and according to that the max, min, avg is somewhere around 60, 32 and 48 on high-ultra - but when I'm actually playing the game, it feels like about 20fps, its so sluggish, and it keeps spiking to what feels like 3 or 4fps for a split second - no idea what's going on. :mad:

Open the console and enter perfoverlay.drawfps 1 and you can see what the game believes the rate is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I'm really enjoying the game, most of the issues i had in the beta have been fixed and some concerns have been alleviated. Still some obvious issues with the build, but nothing major in my opinion.

AR's are still pretty much god tier, and heaven help folk like me who play Engie kit first and are stuck with that ****ing MX4 ball of **** for a while.

Vehicle gameplay is great...raping a team with the boats on Paracel Storm is epic, the roof top battles in flood zone are epic....para jumping from the tower to the dish in Rogue Transmission and getting that MCOM armed is epic.

There is a lot of epic in the game, and lots more to come.

Some maps seem to lose the sound quite often, apart from that im really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    rush is standard 32 players on pc, but you'll get the odd server that will push it up to 64 (on bf3 anyway) though the map is not designed for it and end up with some clusterf*cks like metro.

Thanks, 32 players would be perfect on these maps i'd say. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Dcully wrote: »
    Some maps seem to lose the sound quite often, apart from that im really enjoying it.

I had that issue in BF3. I was having the sound dropout on 4 as well and the "fix" has cured me of said issue i think.

Try this Cully:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1217389/x-fi-titanium-fatal1ty-sound-problems-in-bf3/0_30#post_16523428

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I had that issue in BF3. I was having the sound dropout on 4 as well and the "fix" has cured me of said issue i think.

Try this Cully:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1217389/x-fi-titanium-fatal1ty-sound-problems-in-bf3/0_30#post_16523428

Thanks mate but i think its an issue with the game,lastnight the whole server had the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

2500k 8gb ram gtx 680. It ran like a dog in beta, now it is flawless.

I'm in the same boat as you, except I've a gtx 670 oc and it was horrible playing the beta. Had to get everything pulled down low but still performance was rubber.

Running everything in Ultra now and its running like a dream

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Unlocked "something went wrong" and "client disconnected from server" several times.

And whats a battlepack?

Only allowed 5 favourites?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Unlocked "something went wrong" and "client disconnected from server" several times.

And whats a battlepack?

Only allowed 5 favourites?

A battlepack is some random goodies, unlocks, cammos etc, with the quality depending upon the grade of battlepack. Some are automatically given with rank, some for being premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Just tried commander mode.

It's good and is as productive as commander mode was in BF2 (which means to say not alot unless players are willing to listen)

But it does feel like it was designed with tablets being the focus which if you are stuck away from the pc but still want to be involved with BF4 is not a bad thing.

Advertisement