Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 - First Impressions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

twinsen wrote: »
    24.422.16MB

Cool thanks. Drove home at lunch to get it started :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Played for about 5 hours last night and have to say worth the wait in my opinion,looks beautiful but more importantly plays well.

Really like the way theres more points for attempted captures,assists count as kills and more points for following orders.
    Still trying to work out how the whole commander mode ties in but a few times i followed there orders last night and got tons of points for it

Im not one of those players that gets 50 kills in a round so nice to be able to level up quickly just playing the objectives and actually trying to win insted of worrying bout my K/D ratio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Error
    Game disconnected: client closed down connection.
    every single game today after 5mins of playing :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    every single game today after 5mins of playing :(

Try to manually update your Punkbuster install.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Anyone else a little disappointed?

For me it feels like the BF series has lost some of its unique attractivness and this game now plays (and looks) just like another chapter in the MW series.

bit of sell out feel to the COD and a bit of a snatch at grab the MW fanboys.

Compare it to the original Battlefields and you will see what I mean.
    It has lost its uniqueness which I loved.

BC2 (which I played last night) was probably the last great for me.

ahh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Anyone else a little disappointed?

For me it feels like the BF series has lost some of its unique attractivness and this game now plays (and looks) just like another chapter in the MW series.

bit of sell out feel to the COD and a bit of a snatch at grab the MW fanboys.

Compare it to the original Battlefields and you will see what I mean.
    It has lost its uniqueness which I loved.

BC2 (which I played last night) was probably the last great for me.

ahh well.

I get what you mean.....it does play more like MW/

Small thing but I hate the highlighting the player who just killed you.
    Also I loved the old Desert Storm US Uniforms vs the Ruskies rather than the felt hat Special OPS....harder to tell who is who now.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I get what you mean.....it does play more like MW/

Small thing but I hate the highlighting the player who just killed you.
    Also I loved the old Desert Storm US Uniforms vs the Ruskies rather than the felt hat Special OPS....harder to tell who is who now.

Don't get me wrong its a good game but for me instead of progressing and continuing, evolving a solid feeling, cleaner, rounded more enjoyable ethos and game (compared to the COD series) DICE have (imo) watered down and moved away from all of the above to net some of the MW fans...its a pity as I would love to have seen say a game like the original Battlefield and the thought processes and developement that went into that running on the modern day engines available like Frosbite.

im rambling now but what I am trying to say is for me -that instead of Battlefield being something unique and more enjoyable, its now just another FPS with better maps and tanks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I play both of them and really don't see where the COD comments coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong its a good game but for me instead of progressing and continuing, evolving a solid feeling, cleaner, rounded more enjoyable ethos and game (compared to the COD series) DICE have (imo) watered down and moved away from all of the above to net some of the MW fans...its a pity as I would love to have seen say a game like the original Battlefield and the thought processes and developement that went into that running on the modern day engines available like Frosbite.

im rambling now but what I am trying to say is for me -that instead of Battlefield being something unique and more enjoyable, its now just another FPS with better maps and tanks etc.

I'd challenge that sentiment. Battlefield has been in a direct route since battlefield vietnam where focus has gradually moved more and more with each title towards infantry being the focal point and it's been about self tailored classes and focus on the squad over large team wide play and vehicular domination.

Yes some mechanics have crossed over from CoD but I would argue the few mechanics that have crossed, have done so more because they're becoming staples of the genre as a whole (those same elements have also clearly crossed into other franchises such as Halo) but battlefield has been for the most part on a fairly direct route for years.

Now what I would say about old vs new battlefield is that the scope of the experience has changed.

My view of battlefield 1942 has always been the same, you can have the potential of the greatest online video game experience of your life in one match of 1942 and then followed by 2-3 of the most frustrating downright unbearable and broken matches. And that was battlefield it was very swingy as a game. Battlefield 1942 gave me some of the best games of 2002, but the truth was it also gave me some of the worse, games like counter strike on the other hand, never gave me those matches that were as good as 1942 but I never had a match as bad as 1942...they were just more consistent.

And I think that is very firmly down to the initial design of 1942, it was a very swingy game, one element can completely change the game into a nightmare. From a certain vehicle, to a chopper, to a team playing things a certain way. BF was just more open to going to hell in a handbasket.

And every battlefield since has been working on toning down that swingy nature by focusing the game more around infantry combat with vehicles in support.

But the series has always remained more swingy then any other title out there. One really good jet or helicopter pilot in BF2 can just destroy a game for the opposing team and turn a match into a one sided mess. The series has been notorious for having maps in every entry that if you let one side dig in or push your team back enough that it turns into a shooting gallery. This didnt start with BF3. Battle of Britain was easily exploited to allow the allied players to occupy gun turrets in the german spawns and just shoot them as they spawn.

But with each title the swingyness has declined, the bottom of the barrel has become shallower and shallower, but the cost of that is that every Battlefield title has less of that potential for one truely off the wall amazing game and the series is becoming more and more consistently good, just good. But good more often.

It's not there yet I dont think, I havnt seen any yet, but like BF3 and Bad Company 2 I expect for some maps or weapon to throw a spanner into the works.

And frankly if you want the battlefield where its incredibly swingy but with potential for the most amazing one game, thats not this franchise, it hasnt been for a very long time, there are no fps that play like that, not anymore. The closest we got to that is probably minecraft or DayZ, games that focus on freedom and less on competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Played a few hours there tonight (ps3). Initial impressions are very good. Haven't played all the maps yet, but the ones I have played have been excellent, bar Flood Zone, which I didn't enjoy.
    Graphically it's ok - not amazing, even by PS3 standards - but perfectly playable. Sounds, particularily weapon sounds, are brilliant - huge improvement over BF3.
    Haven't had a single server issue or freeze so far, one or two bugs but overall incredibly stable for launch day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Helicopter audio is perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Picking this up for 360 today cant wait! I expect it to be good but i understand it wont be as amazing on current consoles as it will be on the new xbox and ps4!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Any bodys xbox sound a lot louder whilst playing bf4? Mine sounds as though its gonna explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

my only real gripe is the starter weps for engies.. You hit a tank 4-5 times and the damn thing is still moving..Also boats WTF! how many times do you have to hit the damn things.. Bloody annoying as feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    ..... you can have the potential of the greatest online video game experience of your life in one match of 1942 and then followed by 2-3 of the most frustrating downright unbearable and broken matches. And that was battlefield it was very swingy as a game. Battlefield 1942 gave me some of the best games of 2002, but the truth was it also gave me some of the worse, games like counter strike on the other hand, never gave me those matches.....

Thanks you summed up very nicely what it means to play BF for most players. Every 4 to 5 games you will end up in a ****fest that can last a minute or the whole round, and its that ****fest that makes the game what it is. BF4, bar balance tweaks that I hope to see down the line, is in a way a return to the BF2 or even BF42 feel on some maps. Its grabbed most of the clan far more already than BF3 ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I used to compare battlefield and COD to when i was a kid , toy soldiers ( BF ) versus Action Man ( cod ) , I loved the big maps and vehicles and tactics of BF but always thought the charactors seemed out of scale and lost and tiny and I loved the early COD games but always thought it seemed just too claustrophobic . BF3 changed that and I loved it , COD changed aswell and I haven't bought the last 2 and won't buy the next one , it got too fast and I leave to the young un's now .

I rarely have a great game of BF when I play on my own , I almost always have a good game when I play with mates on Teamspeak and some night we have great unforgettable games .

My first impression of BF4 is that ( after spending €350 ) is looks gorgeous and I think it is going to play well , I think I am going to have those good game with lads on TS and also feel those great games are in there too . It will take a week or so before we can see real unbalance as opposed to preceived unbalance . There does seem to be server issues and we know that EA aren't the fastest to roll out patches to the PC community but I would hope with the expansion packs due to come out continually that they will have to keep the game running properly and tbf the issues with waiting for patches that we had in BF2 were gone in BF3 .

Roll on 10 o clock most nights for the next year

And goodbye COH 2 , you drove me mad for the last 4 months .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Many ps3 players on here?
    If there is and you fancy having somebody laying a lot of bullets down range and dying alot at the moment :pac:

Then drop me a request
    Liquidgoldmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

is there any party system on pc? Finding it hard to join friends servers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I think with all the crashing issues server & client, that it's just not enjoyable. I haven't had one decent round longer than 5 mins and I just can't get into it. I believe that it will be very good once these initial teething issues are sorted but for the moment I'm not going to play it very often.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

TheFairy wrote: »
    Thanks you summed up very nicely what it means to play BF for most players. Every 4 to 5 games you will end up in a ****fest that can last a minute or the whole round, and its that ****fest that makes the game what it is. BF4, bar balance tweaks that I hope to see down the line, is in a way a return to the BF2 or even BF42 feel on some maps. Its grabbed most of the clan far more already than BF3 ever did.

Wont be long before TiG move on to another flavour of the month :) nobody is worse than me btw :P

Apart from some poor map design on a lot of maps and silly suppression BF3 was and still is a fantastic game.
    It took some very good DLC maps to negate the hit from some ****ty maps that shipped with the game.
    Granted there was a lot fo ****ty DLC maps too but overall there was maybe 10-12 very good maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Dcully wrote: »
    Wont be long before TiG move on to another flavour of the month :)

Funny we where just discussing the other night how long it would be before you thought it was crap? :D

Damn you in with your ninja edit!!!! We'll try and get some time in on Celts later maybe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Obliteration is some game mode. Need serious time tho

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭battser

Struggled on my first few games it defo has a faster more fluid feel to it. I think it's gonna be epic when the dust settles these first few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

Anyone having trouble sniping??? Took me awhile to get used to sniping in BF3 from BFBC2 but once I got the hang of it, I was addicted to sniping. I just can't get the same experience with BF4. I unlocked my fav sniper weapon in BF4 which was the M40A5 and I couldn't use it the way I could in BF3. All the sniping mechanics have changed and I still can't judge it properly (NOTE: Not using zeroing in BF4 yet).

Anyone else feel the same?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Anyone having trouble sniping??? Took me awhile to get used to sniping in BF3 from BFBC2 but once I got the hang of it, I was addicted to sniping. I just can't get the same experience with BF4. I unlocked my fav sniper weapon in BF4 which was the M40A5 and I couldn't use it the way I could in BF3. All the sniping mechanics have changed and I still can't judge it properly (NOTE: Not using zeroing in BF4 yet).

Anyone else feel the same?

Couldnt hit a thing at first but that was mainly as i struggled to get sensitivity the same as BF3 but getting there now.
    One thing i disliked in BF3 was the sniper rifle sounds, they were pathetic but thankfully they sound very meaty and lethal in BF4.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

Dcully wrote: »
    Couldnt hit a thing at first but that was mainly as i struggled to get sensitivity the same as BF3 but getting there now.
    One thing i disliked in BF3 was the sniper rifle sounds, they were pathetic but thankfully they sound very meaty and lethal in BF4.

Yes the sounds are better but even with the same sensitivity, I just can't get the same vibe from it. Hopefully time and practise will sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Zeroing is handy in BF4.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Must get working on my sniping, seems like it's a much more prevalent/useful skill in this game given the way the maps are designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I love the sniping aswell,the zeroing is a great idea,have to get used to adjusting it on the fly. Makes those 300-400m shoots gettable for me.

I did notice that messing with the fov slider messes up ADS accuracy though. Couldnt hit a barn down till i figured that out and set it back to default:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

in bf3 the m416 was my favourite gun. dont like it as much in bf4 but the Aug is f*cking amazing, I absolutely love this gun and was disgusted moving on to the m16a4 after running with the aug for half a day. I got a 20% acuracy with it overall after about a 130 kills. most of my assault rifles are around 14% this gun is my gun! I love it.

the Famas does not have any recoil it seems, it also has pretty much no ammo with me needing to reload after each kill, not a happy bunny when I was outnumbered.

Advertisement