Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 - First Impressions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You get tonnes of points if you follow the commanders orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Yeah it's great having a good commander. As a squad leader, follow the commander orders. If commander says attack a point then set your order to the same point and if your squad performs well then commander is more inclined to sort you out with supply drops and UAV scans (you can request these too using the Q menu if you are squad leader). You can request orders too and in these early days, there's no harm in reminding the commander through chat because he/she probabaly doesn't know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

The beauty of Battlefield. The hierarchy of Commander, Squad Leader and Grunt when done properly is great. Squad perks and a boatload of points. Everyone is on the same page and not people in the sqaud randomly attacking flags. if everyone PTFO's then you have a great chance to win.

I am very impressed with BF4. I dont think it is BF3.5 like some people say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Played as bit of SP last night and it pissed me off, though I'm kinda enjoying the story.

Irish needs a good beatdown and needs to understand that Recker is in command. Its annoying being told constantly to "take point" (Why is the squad leader taking point?) or to open a hatch or having the other squad mates waiting at a door for me to open it for them yet when it comes to a firefight they follow my order exactly.

Then when Irish tells me
    "well then I guess you are back in command"
    I was like wtf dickhead? I've been in command since the second mission but you and Pak have been doin' ye're own sh*t regardless.

For example, the mission in
    China where you have to blow up the tank. Again, why is the Squad leader doing that and the other fella's chillin' out and telling you what to do.

And another thing,
    What are the chances of being put in a cell with a badass Russin (Dima) that happen to have the sh*tiest wall ever built. Its a joke and a bad one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Just tried commander mode.

It's good and is as productive as commander mode was in BF2 (which means to say not alot unless players are willing to listen)

But it does feel like it was designed with tablets being the focus which if you are stuck away from the pc but still want to be involved with BF4 is not a bad thing.

Was wondering why I heard nothing about Commander mode, until now of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Just tried commander mode.

It's good and is as productive as commander mode was in BF2 (which means to say not alot unless players are willing to listen)

But it does feel like it was designed with tablets being the focus which if you are stuck away from the pc but still want to be involved with BF4 is not a bad thing.

Pity it wasn't designed for the Nexus 7 that is sitting here beside me , that might have compatibility in the Nov 19th update .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What kind of things do the Commanders call in? I remember Supply Drops and Artillery Strikes from BF2, though I have to say that in 3 hours of playing BF4 so far, haven't seen much evidence of a Commander present in terms of support and artillery - though a few rounds on the Gaellords server had someone doing a pretty good job with directing people. But what can they do/call in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

What kind of things do the Commanders call in? I remember Supply Drops and Artillery Strikes from BF2, though I have to say that in 3 hours of playing BF4 so far, haven't seen much evidence of a Commander present in terms of support and artillery - though a few rounds on the Gaellords server had someone doing a pretty good job with directing people. But what can they do/call in?

You can do either a supply drop (allows people to rearm and kitswitch in game without redeploying), a transport drop (normally a quad) a map wide infantry scan or vehicle scan (takes so time to complete) a localised UAV that circles an area and shows up enemy locations, EMP UAV which counters the enemy UAV and other electronics, Cruise Missile (this is dope...****ing murdered loads of people with it yesterday).

You can also "promote" squads, increasing their Squad Score and getting them more points in their Bro Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

You have the following automatically

-UAV scan -scan for infantry in a specific area
    -UAV EMP scan -block all spotting in a certain area (including commander)
    -Supply Drop -Drops a supply crate that reloads etc but also allows people to swap kits
    -Drop Vehicle -Drops a jeep
    -Evac Order -Tells all units in an area to GTFO!
    -Promote squad -Promotes a squad...but I dont know how it effects the game

Then there are point specific powers, that need you to capture points to use

Infantry scan -Scans whole map showing every infantry, I think only the commander see's this but allows him to quickly act

Vehicle scan -Same as above except with vehicles

Cruise Missile -launches a cruise missile at a point the commander selects, big splash damage but long reload.

I think the AC130 is also a commander call in, but I havnt seen it in the two maps I played on (flood zone and Siege of Shanghai). The trailer showed a gunship for shanghai but either they've removed it or it only shows up instead of the cruise missile when they knock the tower down, I dont know.

Finally there's High Priority Target which only shows up if an enemy is on a kill streak, select them and everyone on your team can see them at all times and get bonus points for killing them

It can be very unbalanced when one team has a commander and the other doesnt as between the two uavs and the cruise missile you can make it very difficult for the enemy team.

For me the floodzone match on gaellords ended up with someone b*tching about the cruise missiles cause I kept launching it at the sniper rooftops and getting triple kills or more with it :D

but when there are two commanders, the other see's the inbound missile and tends to give an evac order to help infantry dodge the missiles.

Dont know if the emp uav will block the commander seeing the missile inbound if you emp where you are targeting.

just got my premium cd key from cdkeys.com

heh, its actually rather pointless initially cause premium gives you *nothing* until 4 days from now when I start getting a slow trickle of extras.

Here I was hoping to unlock a few gold battlepacks before heading off.

• Advertisement

Another commander power I just spotted, though it might be map specific to operation locker

-rapid deployment -it increases the respawn rate of a squad.

and the ac 130 is in gulmol railway (point F) and compared to the cruise missile its much weaker. Gets dicked on by jets constantly.

also solved the mystery of how someone gets the quad bike into the tower in shanghai, commander summons it...

must try that later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

can you parachute on a quad bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

just got my premium cd key from cdkeys.com

heh, its actually rather pointless initially cause premium gives you *nothing* until 4 days from now when I start getting a slow trickle of extras.

Here I was hoping to unlock a few gold battlepacks before heading off.

sweet..I forgot about those :)..does it actually unlock at midnight officially in Ireland ?
    I have been playing it via vpn unlock ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I levelled up 8 times last night, still level 4 tho.

It sorta seems to remember your kills and unlocks but not rank when crashing midgame.

50% quit rate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

BF4 now live in Ireland. 12 midnight, right on time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

*sigh*

278376.PNG

sink wrote: »
    *sigh*

278376.PNG

Almost there man. Sure I'm holding back for about an hour anyway as the servers will be destroyed in the 1st while. Let the Blitzkrieg came down (slightly)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Blah blah blah blah blah it's frickin awesome blah blah colours are very bright blah blah WHY AM I DEAD AGAIN OH FFS blah blah blah must go bed work in morning blah blah boom boom HEADSHOT MOTHERBICHES!!!!

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Blah blah blah blah blah it's frickin awesome blah blah colours are very bright blah blah WHY AM I DEAD AGAIN OH FFS blah blah blah must go bed work in morning blah blah boom boom HEADSHOT MOTHERBICHES!!!!

And that was the vote from the Irish jury.

If they did it like that in Eurovision = best show ever. (possibly need cocaine though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Anybody having sound issues (or lack thereof) on some of the maps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Anybody having sound issues (or lack thereof) on some of the maps?

Yes, the Railroad map in particular.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

A few sound glitches, a few whiteout glitches but other than that I've enjoyed what I've played so far.

64 player obliteration is ridiculous though.

64 player obliteration is ridiculous though.

The best games of Battlefield I've ever played were Obliteration last night...both games went on for ever (no timer), over and back between both teams until the other team finally gave up and said just arm the fcuking thing :D

Ranked up nearly 8 ranks in under 6 hours of playtime.

thats the problem though, there should be a possibility of setting up a time limit

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

There will be, it's early days yet remember

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

how big is the download?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

jonny666 wrote: »
    how big is the download?

24.422.16MB

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Played a 64 player conquest game last night on some German server. Was the resort map and got myself one of those new armoured gunboats. It was like shooting fish in a barrel patrolling the shoreline :D My new favourite vehicle!

twinsen wrote: »
    24.422.16MB

Can you be more specific? :D

• Advertisement

25608490844 bytes or 2.04867927e+11 bits

Advertisement