Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Tour de France

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,156 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pate and knees are usually the 2 who do the work on the flat and peel off first before the mountains...would not be surprised to see them in the team

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MPFG wrote: »
    Its on ITV 1

really? was gona buy a Eurosport sub for this. Maybe not now

Do ITV do a streaming service?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Its on ITV 1

Are you sure? More likely on ITV4 - they will hardly give over their main channel to 2-3 hours of live coverage each day......?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

godtabh wrote: »

I thought Eurosport was free with the basic sky package? I have Eurosport for as long as I remember, great channels for all the tours throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I don't think you get Eurosport with the Original Bundle with Sky.
    You need to subscribe to the Variety Bundle.

TG4 will have live coverage each day (in Irish).

You don't get Eurosport with the Digital Value bundle on UPC.
    You need to subscribe to the Horizon Select Extra bundle.
    You do get ITV4 with the basic package.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Its on ITV 1

Is Phill Liggot still doing the commentary?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I don't think you get Eurosport with the Original Bundle with Sky.
    You need to subscribe to the Variety Bundle.

TG4 will have live coverage each day (in Irish).

You don't get Eurosport with the Digital Value bundle on UPC.
    You need to subscribe to the Horizon Select Extra bundle.
    You do get ITV4 with the basic package.

Just remember that most sports are blocked on ITV4 on UPC due to rights issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

TG4 also do English highlights each night during the tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Are you sure? More likely on ITV4 - they will hardly give over their main channel to 2-3 hours of live coverage each day......?

On ITV1 for first 3 stages and then ITV4 ....live everyday & highlights show

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/7594114/Cycling-on-television.html

Imagine its Phil & Paul on comms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

ITV don't half like their ad breaks.

• Advertisement

Was thinking last night (as you do) that maybe this year there will be 2 definite races in the Tour

for 1st Froome V Contador

but behind this and just as exciting the race for 3rd Valverde v Horner v Nibali V Talansky v Van Garderen v Van den Broek v A. Another

White jersey will probably be Bardet with Kwia a possible contender
    Green Jersey most likely Sagan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Cape Clear wrote: »
    ITV don't half like their ad breaks.

From what I remember of last year's Tour watching on ITV, I'd describe it as some cycling between the ads.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

They do in mainland UK, not in the north.

Eurosport sub definitely worth it IMO. Far superior coverage, and you get VODs if you miss a stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

logik wrote: »
    I thought Eurosport was free with the basic sky package? I have Eurosport for as long as I remember, great channels for all the tours throughout the year.

I dont have any tv package. Just broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I dont have any tv package. Just broadband

ex pat shield for you :)

£3.99 a month for the Eurosport app is very good value IMO

Hours & hours of Sean Kelly & Carlton Kirby...what more could a person want

And if you have the right cable can use TV as monitor and bob's your uncle

But I d like ITV's highlight show ...very good hour of TV IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

+1 on the app. works well, can catch the action wherever on my phone and at home on the tv without having any fancy upc/sky package

• Registered Users Posts: 49 keowny8

luapenak wrote: »
    Stayed in a campsite at the bottom of Alpe D'huez last year. Got up at the crack of dawn and drove up with a car full of supplies (i.e. wine) just before the roads closed. Had the bikes in the car to get off the mountain quickly when it was all over. Cycled up the next day and picked up the car. Will probably do the same on Tourmalet this year.

A lot of people just walk up on the Alpe!

I'm probably looking at the Tourmalet on the Thursday also. What time do the roads close at? We will be staying in lourdes. So Probably about 50k to the Tourmalet...

ALso where would you think the best place on the Wednesday will be. Its a short stage so I'd imagine will be fairly strung out early on?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

but behind this and just as exciting the race for 3rd ...

Not sure such a thing exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Hours & hours of Sean Kelly & Carlton Kirby...what more could a person want

Replace Carlton with David Harmon but that whole other story. Eurosport player is well worth it for the summer months to catch all the grand tours.
    keowny8 wrote: »
    I'm probably looking at the Tourmalet on the Thursday also. What time do the roads close at? We will be staying in lourdes. So Probably about 50k to the Tourmalet...

TBH, I have not idea when roads closed, best place to watch etc. I'd imagine I'll watch it somewhere in the last 5-6km's but as I'm there a few days before it comes through I'll work all that out then.
    I'm not sure of the exact route but if you may find a way to get almost the way there avoiding the race course (and any road closures) and then cycle the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Was thinking last night (as you do) that maybe this year there will be 2 definite races in the Tour

for 1st Froome V Contador

but behind this and just as exciting the race for 3rd Valverde v Horner v Nibali V Talansky v Van Garderen v Van den Broek v A. Another

White jersey will probably be Bardet with Kwia a possible contender
    Green Jersey most likely Sagan

Horner is surely going for first. Age is just a number.

Horner is surely going for first. Age is just a number.

I imagine all the ones I listed are going for first including Horner, Valverde , Niabli, etc

Just think that their race will be for third ....which will be evident after TT and will play out in final week

Froome and Contador don't stand a chance against Horner :pac:

WATSON_00003483-048-659x440.jpg

Oh my God...can you imagine if Horner attacked and went away on Froome & Contador and beat them ......all hell would break lose ....and I mean that literally because he would have surely signed a pact with the devil...Twitter would go into meltdown :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ok...well that is a bit over the top ....but you know what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Oh my God...can you imagine if Horner attacked and went away on Froome & Contador and beat them ......all hell would break lose ....and I mean that literally because he would have surely signed a pact with the devil...Twitter would go into meltdown :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ok...well that is a bit over the top ....but you know what I mean

Lampre a lot weaker all of a sudden

http://www.teamlampremerida.com/en/2014/06/comunicato-ufficiale-4/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,156 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'm expecting Andy Schleck to win it by at least 14 minutes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

retalivity wrote: »
    I'm expecting Andy Schleck to win it by at least 14 minutes

Seriously though, if Andy finishes the Tour I'll be amazed.

Andy hasn't been able to put in a decent performance since the TdF in 2011.
    I've been looking at his results for the last few years and they are absolutely shocking.

So far this year: 72nd in Tour of Oman; 66th in Paris-Nice; DNF in Critérium International; 66th in the Tour of the Basque Country; DNF in Amstel, Fleche, and LBL; 50th in the Tour of Luxembourg; and 29th in the Tour de Suisse.

Andy hasn't been able to put in a decent performance since the TdF in 2011.
    I've been looking at his results for the last few years and they are absolutely shocking.

So far this year: 72nd in Tour of Oman; 66th in Paris-Nice; DNF in Critérium International; 66th in the Tour of the Basque Country; DNF in Amstel, Fleche, and LBL; 50th in the Tour of Luxembourg; and 29th in the Tour de Suisse.

Do you reckon he'll be their number 1 by default? Unless he works for Frank maybe.

• Advertisement

Do you reckon he'll be their number 1 by default? Unless he works for Frank maybe.

Trek have said that he will supporting Frank and Zubeldia.

I can't see any of them making the Top-15 in Paris.

Advertisement