Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Tour de France

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

check_six wrote: »
    Isn't the Yorkshire start a kind of tribute to Wiggins win? Maybe I'm mis-remembering. Seems very strange that he's not in the start list in that case.

He might be looking for a bit of a public outcry to force sky into picking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mccutchie

He might be looking for a bit of a public outcry to force sky into picking him.

Wiggins out of the tour definitely reduces the tours appeal to the masses, just shows how ruthless professional sport can be. Le mond, the badger, bygone era. Anyone else sick to the teeth of team sky

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mccutchie wrote: »
    Anyone else sick to the teeth of team sky

nope but then i dont read much uk press and certainly they werent that much of a force in the spring classics or the giro but if your reading loads of stuff about le tour then i can see how you might be sick of them

but up here we might forgive them as they seem to be getting the best out of deignan again

i'm looking forward to yorkshire anyway !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Anyone else sick to the teeth of team sky

yup, absolutely incensed that they're picking what they see as their best team, rather than including a rider with pendulum like moods and asking him to take a back seat, thereby taking a big risk just to suit the wishes of the public. and also for initially saying froome could have input in the picking of the team, and then having the gall to stick to their word when he most likely said he didn't want a rider he has publicly fought with on team for his main event.

tongue in cheek, but whatever other reasons there are to dislike team Sky, this would seem to be hating for hating sake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Wiggins out of the tour definitely reduces the tours appeal to the masses, just shows how ruthless professional sport can be. Le mond, the badger, bygone era. Anyone else sick to the teeth of team sky

I listen to UK radio at work, each of the news bulletins has ended with the news that Wiggins will not being part of the Tdf this year, the piece is ended each time with 'Wiggins says he's gutted'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I listen to UK radio at work, each of the news bulletins has ended with the news that Wiggins will not being part of the Tdf this year, the piece is ended each time with 'Wiggins says he's gutted'.

Of course he is gutted. Its THE big race.

Can see him returning to the track full time now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I am going to Yorkshire next month and hoped to see Wiggins ( not Froome tbh) and of course the Irish lads and other top riders ....

I think whatever the dynamics SKY should try and work out a solution that includes Wiggins...He is a star and seems willing to take a support role ...and he could go for TT and cobble stages if team agree

This could be sorted if there is a will...Stumbling block seems to be Froome in my book. All the comments about Wiggins not riding for someone else ...seemed to me Froome had the greatest difficulty riding for someone else

I fear Froome may win races but be loved by few

What is that line from Gladiator " I was not the best because I killed quickly. I was the best because the crowd loved me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MPFG wrote: »

My italian is rubbish

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I suspect Wiggo is going to be very motivated at the Tour de Suisse next week. Either that or he'll pack on the first stage.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    My italian is rubbish

Use google translate

basically saying his performance is not good enough ...Kazakhstan government not happy :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

6 mountain stages and 5 uphill finishes anyone think wiggo had a chance of being up there ?

Not a hope. He'd manage top 3 at a push but he'd be burned off by accelerations from the Contador v Froome dual.

Look at the Mt Diablo stage in the tour of California. He looked immense, set a blistering pace but had no answer when the accelerations came.

I think Sky are making a huge mistake leaving him out. What an engine on him. He'd be perfect as a setup man for Froome.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I am going to Yorkshire next month and hoped to see Wiggins ( not Froome tbh) and of course the Irish lads and other top riders ....

I think whatever the dynamics SKY should try and work out a solution that includes Wiggins...He is a star and seems willing to take a support role ...and he could go for TT and cobble stages if team agree

This could be sorted if there is a will...Stumbling block seems to be Froome in my book. All the comments about Wiggins not riding for someone else ...seemed to me Froome had the greatest difficulty riding for someone else

I fear Froome may win races but be loved by few

What is that line from Gladiator " I was not the best because I killed quickly. I was the best because the crowd loved me

Many don't like Wiggins but I really do, he's different, he's not always PC, he's human and...... he's a mod, which is cool in my book but one of the main reasons I like him is that time he lead out Cav on the Champs Elysees while wearing the yellow jersey, that is as classy a thing as you will see in a bike race, in amongst the sprinters risking a crash, helping his mate with the Tour all but wrapped up....Solid

Use google translate

basically saying his performance is not good enough ...Kazakhstan government not happy :eek:

It was translated in the link. Still felt like I was reading italian!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,114 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I just cannot take to Froome, so I am sickened to see Wiggins miss out.

He may not have won it, but I think there was a good performance in hime, and he would have definitely added to the Tour, especially starting in Yorkshire.

A few have commented that Contador is in good form and condition, maybe better than Froome. Other than that there dos not seem to be much else in the race. I don't Nibali has it in him to get close to them. A pity Quintana is not in the race, but this years grueling Giro suited him away more. I think you have to able to TT to win it this year.

Same for the Schlecks , they seem out of form, and not a mountainous enough
    Tour for them even if they were going well.

Still cannot wait for it to start !! Really enjoyed the Giro this year also

Brian? wrote: »

I think Sky are making a huge mistake leaving him out. What an engine on him. He'd be perfect as a setup man for Froome.

I would see it as more of sharing to work between himself and Porte. Sky asked alot of Porte last year. If sky want to keep things fresh they could have Porte and Wiggins taking turns

It would also have been a great way for Wiggins to bow out , riding the race that he was the first British rider to win in home area ..(he lives in Yorkshire and he is a local boy really)

I know Wiggins is difficult and moody & can be rude to journalists but he hasn't had it easy... His father abandons him as a baby , his mother goes on to have another family while he seems to stay with grandparents most of the time and then when he does meet up with his father years later that father is only interested in bragging about him,is drunk and verbally abuses him and then goes on the be beaten to death. So Wiggins doesn't mince his word at least he is honest and straight forward
    And he does seem to be genuinely sorry for his misdemeanors after the fact ....In 2012 I think he didn't know how to handle the fame and pressure.

I think the right people could handle Wiggins better and I also think he may have learned since 2012

But I guess he and Froome are so miles apart in every way they were never going to get along even if not in competition.

It would also have been a great way for Wiggins to bow out , riding the race that he was the first British rider to win in home area ..(he lives in Yorkshire and he is a local boy really)

I know Wiggins is difficult and moody & can be rude to journalists but he hasn't had it easy... His father abandons him as a baby , his mother goes on to have another family while he seems to stay with grandparents most of the time and then when he does meet up with his father years later that father is only interested in bragging about him,is drunk and verbally abuses him and then goes on the be beaten to death. So Wiggins doesn't mince his word at least he is honest and straight forward
    And he does seem to be genuinely sorry for his misdemeanors after the fact ....In 2012 I think he didn't know how to handle the fame and pressure.

I think the right people could handle Wiggins better and I also think he may have learned since 2012

But I guess he and Froome are so miles apart in every way they were never going to get along even if not in competition.

His attitude on the bike is all the counts and that can be questioned at times but it really does like he is enjoying the bike these days. He looked in good form in California.

I spoke about his background because sometimes you need to know a person and where they are coming from to manage them and get the best out of them...and it isn't just about the bike ...its about managing people , difficult , easy, the lot, especially top sports people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I don't think he lives in Yorkshire?
    He's considered a Londoner really.
    Yorkshire tv/ papers seems to have taken Mark Cavendish in as the 'local boy' despite being a Manx his mum lives in Harrogate which is where the stage finishes on Saturday. He has said over and over he wants to win the yellow jersey in Harrogate.

I would have loved to see Wiggins in the tdf, huge shame.
    Don't know if you read this less emotional take on not selecting Wiggins in the Guardian

• Advertisement

I spoke about his background because sometimes you need to know a person and where they are coming from to manage them and get the best out of them...and it isn't just about the bike ...its about managing people , difficult , easy, the lot, especially top sports people

I know you were setting the context

I know you were setting the context

Thank You ...you are so understanding
    Its people like you who could manage Wiggo :D

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I don't think he lives in Yorkshire?
    He's considered a Londoner really.
    Yorkshire tv/ papers seems to have taken Mark Cavendish in as the 'local boy' despite being a Manx his mum lives in Harrogate which is where the stage finishes on Saturday. He has said over and over he wants to win the yellow jersey in Harrogate.

I would have loved to see Wiggins in the tdf, huge shame.
    Don't know if you read this less emotional take on not selecting Wiggins in the Guardian

Sorry you are right ..he lives in Lancashire ....Some where up North...All tat same for us Londoners

Thank You ...you are so understanding
    Its people like you who could manage Wiggo :D

How hard could it be?

How hard could it be?

I know !!!!

Let him have a rant, calm down and then tell him what's what ...I am used to dealing with difficult people and to be honest I prefer these people to the super controlled who keep everything in and you never know what they really think or will do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Sorry you are right ..he lives in Lancashire ....Some where up North...All tat same for us Londoners

A Londoner living in Lancashire has all the appeal of syphilis to a Yorkshire man...

(I don't actually mind Wiggo though)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It's a shame Wiggo isn't riding the tour, he's in good form, he's one of the world's best GC riders in this form, and the added Sky drama would have been good fun. Seems a bit petty of Froome tbh, and doesn't reflect well on him. Here's hoping Wiggins blitzes the Tour de Suisse to further highlight this.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Why would Froome want Wiggins on his team?

Froome gifted Wiggins his Tour de France win and Wiggins has never returned the favour. There is no trust there. Wiggins took Froome for a ride, got his glory and fecked off. Froome is more than right to not want a cyclist who he can't trust on his team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Why would Froome want Wiggins on his team?

Froome gifted Wiggins his Tour de France win and Wiggins has never returned the favour. There is no trust there. Wiggins took Froome for a ride, got his glory and fecked off. Froome is more than right to not want a cyclist who he can't trust on his team.

Froome and Cound were the ones to first demonstrate their lack of trustworthyness, what with Froome's needless "dropping" of Wiggins and head turning coupled with his muppet missus's continuous twitter meltdowns.

Advertisement