Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Tour de France

Options
  • 23-10-2013 9:27am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The route is to be announced tomorrow (I think) but velopeloton has published a leak of the route. The cobbles will make it interesting and it could be potentially lost if there's a crash or a mechanical. The TT on the last day before Paris could also bring it down to the wire. More here
    gallery_1_85_116139.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Who will win GC overall? 152 votes

Chris Froome
    0% 0 votes
    Alberto Contador
    22% 34 votes
    Vincenzo Nibali
    50% 77 votes
    Bauke Mollema
    21% 33 votes
    Andrew Talansky
    0% 1 vote
    Tejay Van Garderen
    1% 2 votes
    Alejandro Valverde
    1% 2 votes
    Rui Costa
    1% 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I tell porkies, the announcement is today and live on letour.fr from 10h30.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Looks great, cant wait for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The missus has friends who live near Carcassone - must plant a suggestion re holidays next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭AnotherView

Froome is not liking the cobbles......can be dangerous especially if you are not used to them

TT on 2nd last day looks like it will decide all......

Not sure if the Irish lads riding Tour if they are going for the Giro but Hautacam could be good for D Martin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

The 3 stages in the Pyrénées all look good for Dan. Voeckler will be going for a hattrick in Luchon.
    Stage 17 has no flat between the climbs so hopefully there will be some attacks from far out.
    Cobbles should not trouble the irish boys too much.

gallery_1_85_23204.jpg

stage 18
    Col_du_Tourmalet_090929_zps9244f966.jpg

mossym wrote: »
    stage 18
    Col_du_Tourmalet1_zpse7c9a126.jpg

No. That's Stelvio Pass in Italy.

No. That's Stelvio Pass in Italy.

apologies, linked to wrong picture, now corrected..:)

Hautacam 3km from the summit, looking down on Argeles.

10438909543_4cc2c84c2f_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Of all the climbs that I have done in France the Huaracam is by far the toughest.
    Tourmalet is long but the gradient is relative stable, same with Apin, Peyresourde, Paliheres. Portet Aspet is very steep but short.

Hautacam - the gradient changes continually and I couldn't get any sort of tempo going. Also the bells on the cows and goats - drove me absolutely bananas - it was as if they were taunting me.

It is a prettier climb than the Tourmalet IMHO and the descent is lovely.
    Irish corner for 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

ROK ON wrote: »
    Of all the climbs that I have done in France the Huaracam is by far the toughest.
    Tourmalet is long but the gradient is relative stable, same with Apin, Peyresourde, Paliheres. Portet Aspet is very steep but short.

Hautacam - the gradient changes continually and I couldn't get any sort of tempo going. Also the bells on the cows and goats - drove me absolutely bananas - it was as if they were taunting me.

It is a prettier climb than the Tourmalet IMHO and the descent is lovely.
    Irish corner for 2014.

Totally agree. We stayed in Argeles in September and did Luz Ardiden, Aubisque, Tourmalet (both sides) and the Hautacam was the toughest climb of the lot.

Luz Ardiden is a really lovely climb, I really got into it and found a rhythm, steady (high) HR all the way, and then pushed in last 2 km, was really happy with my climb.

The Hautacam is roughly the same distance and average gradient (7% over 15km) so I kind of assumed it would be similar, but it is not. Very rampy as you say, I found it really hard to settle into and when you see a km sign saying 10%, with the first 300m almost flat, you're just waiting for the inevitable out of the saddle torture - with the fecking bells in the background.

What's wrong with the bells? I love the bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

What's wrong with the bells? I love the bells.

I didn't mind them at the top, I must admit. Half way up, they were laughing at my slowness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

How long before Sky and Chris Froome put forward a motion that each rider should be able to miss one stage over the course of the tour without it affecting their timings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Tourmalet & Hautacam for the L'etape next year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

How long before Sky and Chris Froome put forward a motion that each rider should be able to miss one stage over the course of the tour without it affecting their timings?

About forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,114 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Wiggins looks set to miss the Tour !! Sky seem like they do not want to pick him.

I know they want Froome to win it again, but they/he must be fairly worried about Wiggins to not follow team policy to not want to pick him.

link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

2smiggy wrote: »
    Wiggins looks set to miss the Tour !! Sky seem like they do not want to pick him.

I know they want Froome to win it again, but they/he must be fairly worried about Wiggins to not follow team policy to not want to pick him.

link

Bit of dramatic infighting in the Sky team with a prospect of interesting racing? No?

Ok, wake me up at the end of July, cause I ain't gonna miss anything good!

I'm gutted that Wiggo will not be at the tour. I was looking forward to a good Ullrich -v- Riis in fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

froome holds all the cards with sky this year and has made it clear he wants porte not wiggo... considering the material in his book detailing his conflict with wiggo, he might have had an inkling then that he wouldnt have to line out with him for the tour

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I'm gutted that Wiggo will not be at the tour. I was looking forward to a good Ullrich -v- Riis in fight.

6 mountain stages and 5 uphill finishes anyone think wiggo had a chance of being up there ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The options for next year are interesting for Wiggins. Orica appear to be it at the moment.

Sky dont want him it would seem

As regards his TdF selection he seems to have a good attitude with regard to his role if he was selected. MOre than could be said for Froome in Wiggins year. If you take what Wiggins says at face value surely he would be on the team as a super domestic. Porte had a few wobbles last year. Wiggins could balance that out

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Froome doesnt do it for me .

an incident on the cobbles delaying him significantly would bring a smile to my face

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

What are the chances of Wiggo getting an early release from his contract and riding the Tour with OGE this year?? Now that I would like to see.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

What are Dans chances of making the starting line?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

spyderski wrote: »
    What are the chances of Wiggo getting an early release from his contract and riding the Tour with OGE this year?? Now that I would like to see.....

The two teams seem to get on great but I cant see that happening

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

with the tour starting in Yorkshire it is very surprising that wiggins will not be selected, if even for pure promotional reasons. This looks like a 70% froome/30% Brailsford decision

6 mountain stages and 5 uphill finishes anyone think wiggo had a chance of being up there ?

Absolutely not but it could have made for epic tv :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

retalivity wrote: »
    with the tour starting in Yorkshire it is very surprising that wiggins will not be selected, if even for pure promotional reasons. This looks like a 70% froome/30% Brailsford decision

Isn't the Yorkshire start a kind of tribute to Wiggins win? Maybe I'm mis-remembering. Seems very strange that he's not in the start list in that case.

Advertisement