Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wayne Cochran

The poster who posted the problem has to give information whether the service the poster receives uses an aerial to get DTT.

I would be pretty sure that Veelle has seen the rescan messages carried on Saorview & I would think they have a combi satellite/terrestrial system.

Nothing to do with Freeview UK terrestrial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Nothing to do with Freeview UK terrestrial.

You can get Saorview combined with Freeview in the North of Ireland because you can Saorview relayed from transmitters in the North.

Although, if you use Freeview equipment to also get Saorview you will the receive the Irish channels in the 800's in any part of the Republic of Ireland, even though the reception is unreliable.

You can get Saorview combined with Freeview in the North of Ireland because you can Saorview relayed from transmitters in the North.

The service carried by NI transmitters is NOT Saorview. It is standard def. versions of RTE & TG4 channels.

It would seem to me that Veelle thinks Saorview is a Sky-type service with its own installers etc., hence the reference to "customers". They don't realise that the broadcasts are freely available to any suitable equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Sorry I should have said that to get Freeview, you need to get those channels via one aerial pointed towards the north. And to get Saorview, you need to get an aerial towards a transmitter in the South to get the Irish channels.

All I can say that it will depend on what more information is being given from Veelle to make steps to resolve the issue.

Sorry I should have said that to get Freeview, you need to get those channels via one aerial pointed towards the north. And to get Saorview, you need to get an aerial towards a transmitter in the South to get the Irish channels.

All I can say that it will depend on what more information is being given from Veelle to make steps to resolve the issue.

The stuff about aerials is irrelevant, it's just someone who wants to know how to retune their receiver.

I'm not sure but I don't think the docs. provided by Saorview deal with combi receivers, so they would be better off posting what receiver they have here, so they can be advised on how to do a terrestrial scan only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I was refering to GB - he used to power the stations output, but not with valves.
    You mustn't be listening to him of "a Sunday", then Sam - he's retiring because they can't find the replacement valves for his transmitter:P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

fat-tony wrote: »
    You mustn't be listening to him of "a Sunday", then Sam - he's retiring because they can't find the replacement valves for his transmitter:P

Sorry, I do not listen to him. I think he dribbles into the mike too much for me. I like the jazz he plays but - more music, less talk, and a lot less dribble! Or should that be drivvel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭sudzs

steviegall wrote: »
    hi there im having a bit of a problem and cant seem to fix it

when i first heard of this back in oct/nov i rescanned my box and got nothing new so i thought maybe it just hasnt made it to the transmitter we are pointed at and since yesterday we got the cue to rescan our box again but still nothing new

just to clarify i live in strabane on the border with lifford co.donegal and have always been able to get roi stations

its only rte 1 we have the problem with so i assume all the other channels will be ok but my mother watches mostly rte 1

we have a box capable of receiving hd signals(i made sure of that when i bought it) so up until now we have been getting saorview fine

im fairly sure we are pointed at the ballybofey transmitters if that makes any difference

so my problem in short is that im worried ill lose rte 1 as when i rescan i dont get anything different

if that doesn't work call out someone to look at the aerial. :([/QUOTE]

I had exactly the same problem (as I posted directly after your above post) and kept doing a rescans until late last night it came good! Have the new HD RTE1 and all other channels present and correct. So try a rescan or 3 and maybe with a bit of luck things will fall into place for you too!

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

sudzs wrote: »
    I had exactly the same problem (as I posted directly after your above post) and kept doing a rescans until late last night it came good! Have the new HD RTE1 and all other channels present and correct. So try a rescan or 3 and maybe with a bit of luck things will fall into place for you too!

With a good Saorview signal you should only have to rescan once, your signal is probably borderline. Don't be surprised if you have reception problems in future.

The Cush wrote: »
    With a good Saorview signal you should only have to rescan once, your signal is probably borderline. Don't be surprised if you have reception problems in future.

Oh no... :( Up to the roof it is so!

• Advertisement

Oh no... :( Up to the roof it is so!

Is there a signal strength/quality meter on the TV? If so, what are the readings for the Saorview channels like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭zg3409

Veelle wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me will there be any further rescans required by Saorview?

I am not a Saorview customer but my receiver also needs to be rescanned now which is an awful pain. My installer cannot/will not(?) give me guidance over the phone how to do this, nor can I figure out how to do it myself using the User Manual. Instead installer must visit and complete rescan himself for me at a cost.

Not sure if I am being ripped off or if others have this problem.
    Thanks.

Saorview offer FREE rescan advice if you ring them on 1890 222012 but it would be best to first know the exact make and model of TV, and any satellite or boxes you have connected to it. Make sure the TV is on, and note the phone call is not free. Ring during office hours. It might be a good idea to ask some friend who is technical to help you and ring up on your behalf. As mentioned a rescan may be required every year or so, and it would be good not to have to pay someone to do it for you. However from the installers point of view they have to charge for their time and talking someone through the procedure over the phone will take time!

http://www.saorview.ie/help-support/faqs/need-help-with-the-saorview-re-scan/

• Registered Users Posts: 23 frankmulveen

I did a rescan of terrestrial channels on a Walker combi and now the Irish channels are up in number 455 etc on the remote. BBC is in number 1. How do I get the Irish channels back to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc?

Is there a signal strength/quality meter on the TV? If so, what are the readings for the Saorview channels like?

No, there's no meter on the TV that I can find anyway. And you were right, I lost RTE1 the other night, it was just a blank screen. But it's back again today in perfect HD. :confused:

No, there's no meter on the TV that I can find anyway. And you were right, I lost RTE1 the other night, it was just a blank screen. But it's back again today in perfect HD. :confused:

What is the make and model of the TV? Someone here may be able advise.

You said earlier that you're about 8 miles from the Clermont Carn transmitter, that close you should be pulling in a very good signal from a main transmitter. Are you using different aerials for Saorview and Freeview? Is there a masthead amplifier close to the aerial or any amplifier in the system? Too much signal can be as bad as too little but if this was the case it should affect both multiplexes from Clermont Carn I would think.

What is the make and model of the TV? Someone here may be able advise.

You said earlier that you're about 8 miles from the Clermont Carn transmitter, that close you should be pulling in a very good signal from a main transmitter. Are you using different aerials for Saorview and Freeview? Is there a masthead amplifier close to the aerial or any amplifier in the system? Too much signal can be as bad as too little but if this was the case it should affect both multiplexes from Clermont Carn I would think.

Thanks for your interest and help! :)

The TV is a Sharp LCD LC-32LD145K.

We get the Saorview through the aerial and the UK Freeview through a box. The aerial is serving 9 apartments so don't know what amplifiers, if any, there are.

We get the Saorview through the aerial and the UK Freeview through a box. The aerial is serving 9 apartments so don't know what amplifiers, if any, there are.

I assume again the aerial is connected to both the Freeview box and TV? Do you use the TV for both Saorview and Freeview? How is the aerial split to TV and STB?

How many aerials are on the roof for both Saorview and Freeview reception?

Feeding 9 apartments there must be some form of distribution amplifier in the setup. You may have get someone in to check the aerial and the signal at each TV point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gordare

Hi all,

When I rescan my tv I only get RTE 1 SD,(which is telling me I need to rescan and that it's going on Wednesday) there's no sign of RTE 1HD. I'm at a loss what to do, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. G.

Gordare wrote: »
    When I rescan my tv I only get RTE 1 SD,(which is telling me I need to rescan and that it's going on Wednesday) there's no sign of RTE 1HD. I'm at a loss what to do, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. G.

As with similar posts here most likely an aerial issue, insufficient signal for that particular frequency. An outdoor aerial is recommended, if it's an outdoor aerial it may require an adjustment.

What type of aerial are you using, indoor/outdoor/attic?
    What is the make and model of the TV?
    What is the recommended transmitter for your location, http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/ ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

As with similar posts here most likely an aerial issue, insufficient signal for that particular frequency. An outdoor aerial is recommended, if it's an outdoor aerial it may require an adjustment.

What type of aerial are you using, indoor/outdoor/attic?
    What is the make and model of the TV?
    What is the recommended transmitter for your location, http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/ ?

Can you pick up RTÉ jnr & RTÉ One +1, broadcast on the same frequency? Do you already have RTÉ Two HD? Is the STB Saorview approved? if not & you cannot see RTÉ Two HD, may be a compatibility issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Antenna

The radio Interview from yesterday with Jim Higgins of Saorview about the Rescan issue, and other issues with Cork viewers here:

http://soundcloud.com/tvlopt/saorviewinterview20140401

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Try doing a manual tuning for the saorview channel(s) you need, it worked for me. Think the dodgy rte1 hd mux was being picked up, but after a manual search the correct mux came in where it was supposed to be, no loss of signal since. unless i do an autoscan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Test channel 15 now showing rte news now with Rnag audio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Antenna

And also there was an interview with Jim Higgins of Saorview about the rescan deadline broadcast on Radio Kerry last Monday here:

http://media.radiokerry.ie/mediamanager/embed/player/podcasts/9/item/20723

sounds like a lot of those contacting the show have ongoing reception issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

natashaob6 wrote: »
    Test channel 15 now showing rte news now with Rnag audio.
    Radio on main audio but if you select AD or NAR you get english audio with the video

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

I'm not at home, has RTE1 SD gone now?

I'm not at home, has RTE1 SD gone now?

No, not until the wee hours of the morning I'd guess. Possibly after Oireachtas Report and before a repeat of Creedon's Cities.

SD feed still running now but the notice has been removed in the last few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

RTE1 SD off-air now

• Advertisement

And it's gone now. Went just after Oireachtas Report.

Advertisement