Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

xbmc remote won't connect to my tv stick if I connect the USB ethernet

any idea why?

Which one you are using? Yatse?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.leetzone.android.yatsewidgetfree

I have used it before but not on this device. I will give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Which one you are using? Yatse?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.leetzone.android.yatsewidgetfree

I have used it before but not on this device. I will give it a try.

the official xbmc remote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Allyall wrote: »
    Not as unfounded as you may think.
    Please provide some support then? If XBMCHUB or the author received a payment to write up a positive piece I'll totally accept that the article is without merit but you made a claim and have thus far refused to substantiate it.
    Speaking of unfounded claims/accusations, why are you so sure i am making unfounded claims and accusations?
    Because you haven't substantiated them in any way :rolleyes:
    I didn't mean my reference to a good Dual-Core vs. a struggling Quad-Core to be taken as meaning the OUYA, I didn't even think that is the way it would be taken, when I wrote it.
    You were responding to my post that the OUYA was an excellent device for running XBMC, in that context what else could your comment have meant?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

BenThere wrote: »
    Please provide some support then? If XBMCHUB or the author received a payment to write up a positive piece I'll totally accept that the article is without merit but you made a claim and have thus far refused to substantiate it.
    I have already stated I have no intention of discussing that. If you want to accept what the article says, then do. I have seen people from hub/talk popping up here with no other reason, other than to attack posters.
    That aside, you are here a few years, you can't tell me that you think it is the best hardware option, even for the price, even in September.
    You were responding to my post that the OUYA was an excellent device for running XBMC, in that context what else could your comment have meant?
    I see that, that comment could have been taken as meaning the OUYA, but I have since clarified that it didn't. It was late, I had a few drinks, and I was (In my mind) mostly speaking of the AMLogic - in that case the MX2. I was acknowledging that I knew it had a Dual-Core, but went one further and stated that it wasn't a bad thing, and had a couple of Quad-Core's in my mind. I had also stated in the same original post, that the OUYA is a good device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Anyone used a CX 919? Wondering if this is one of the flaky quad core Allyall was eluding to.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/EU-Plug-CX-919-Android-4-1-1-Mni-PC-TV-Box-RK3188-Quad-Core-1-6Ghz-2G-8G-BT-HDMI-Black-314978.html

Looks OK from the youtube video, iffy reviews on Amazon though. I have put that many of these fecking things in the basket now, got to the pay now screen and had 3rd,4th and 5th thoughts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

I have a MX2 and its not great for XBMC. This device has lots not flaws and buggy as hell firmware. Just check their forums, there's a lot of unhappy coustmers there. I've just installed the Linux XBMC software for this box to see if it improves performance but I've lost the android function which defeats the purpose of getting it originally. Thinking of trying a raspberry pie to see how XBMC performs.

I have already stated I have no intention of discussing that. If you want to accept what the article says, then do.
    I just don't like people calling into question the integrity of an article written in good faith (as far as I can tell) by an independent voluntary non profit XBMC user support group. You accused them of being paid to write the article, offered nothing to substantiate your claim and when pulled up on it (and presumably still have nothing to substantiate your accusation) you throw your toys out of the pram and say you no longer want to talk about it.

You are absolutely free to disagree with the articles conclusion that the OUYA is the best device for running XBMC and it would actually have been useful if you had used your obvious knowledge of the subject matter to offer a counter argument with supporting information etc but for some bizarre/lazy reason you decided to just call the authors integrity into question instead with nothing to back up your accusation whatsoever.

If I was in your shoes I would hold my hands up admit I made a stupid mistake and move on. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how you deal with them when you're found out/called out which defines the type of person you are.

Over to you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Anyone used a CX 919? Wondering if this is one of the flaky quad core Allyall was eluding to.

If you think you'll use the Ethernet and extra USB ports, I think it's better to pay the extra few quid for a device with all that built in like what coldfire1x has. I've an MK808b stick with one adapter hanging off it for Ethernet and another one hanging off it for extra USB ports. Next device I'm getting will have those built in for sure! What would be handy too is a built in camera for Skype and to log into as a security camera when you're out. Easily done via Skype too.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/EU-Plug-CX-919-Android-4-1-1-Mni-PC-TV-Box-RK3188-Quad-Core-1-6Ghz-2G-8G-BT-HDMI-Black-314978.html

Looks OK from the youtube video, iffy reviews on Amazon though. I have put that many of these fecking things in the basket now, got to the pay now screen and had 3rd,4th and 5th thoughts!

That's not (really) one I was referring to..
    Coldfire1x has that chip in his device, and it is running smoothly. They are a clone of the original RK3188, but they can be unstable.
    If they work, they can be perfect, as mentioned, but If you are having trouble installing anything, Codecs/XBMC/Video Players or Custom Roms, it can become frustrating. As they are unstable, there is no definite fix, and what may be your problem on one, may not be the same as someone elses on another.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

I bought an mk908ii with remote from geekbuying.com

Quick question, whats the difference xbmc and xbmc-hub and which does what ?

• Advertisement

I just don't like people calling into question the integrity of an article written in good faith (as far as I can tell) by an independent voluntary non profit XBMC user support group. You accused them of being paid to write the article, offered nothing to substantiate your claim and when pulled up on it (and presumably still have nothing to substantiate your accusation) you throw your toys out of the pram and say you no longer want to talk about it.
    If I was in your shoes I would hold my hands up admit I made a stupid mistake and move on. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how you deal with them when you're found out/called out which defines the type of person you are.

Over to you.

I stand by what I said, you go to XBMCHUB and you are drowned in adverts, I don't know where you got this not-for-profit, and that the article was written in good faith. XBMCHUB may not advertise in their fusion installer, but they do clearly make profit advertising devices on their sites.
    The split may have been over others going their own directon with different addons and adverts inside them, but the others weren't as clean cut as you are making out. There are many reasons I don't want to discuss it (As i have said from the start - I didn't think it was going to be such a sticking point), and many places anyone could find out what was or wasn;t paid for.

They knew before that article was written that AC3, DTS and MPEG2 could not be played on the OUYA, for many that was a huge reason not to purchase, having to convert tons of movies. That was long before SBMC.

Nothing thrown out of the pram, believe it or not, you believing me whether or not an article was a paid article didn't really have me freaking out..

14murphy wrote: »
    I bought an mk908ii with remote from geekbuying.com

Quick question, whats the difference xbmc and xbmc-hub and which does what ?

XBMC is a Media Centre that allows you to play Music, Movies, Stream Live TV, and more - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbmc

XBMCHUB are a group that utilise XBMC and build repositories to install inside of it.

Begin by downloading XBMC from XBMC.org android, and installing it.

I stand by what I said, you go to XBMCHUB and you are drowned in adverts, I don't know where you got this not-for-profit,

I get it from the following generally accepted formula:-

Revenue less Costs = Profit.

If you are generating revenue to contribute to the cost of running a website, hosting costs etc you are not making profit, you are a not for profit in the same way lots of voluntary organisations from local drama societies or football clubs to international charities who generate revenue to cover operational costs are no for profits. BTW, I really don't know what you mean by "drowned in adverts". Click on www.xbmchub.com and tell me how many adverts you see on the home page? I see a grand total of ZERO!! Are you Walter Mitty in disguise???

You keep alluding to the fact that there are "many places anyone could find out what was or wasn;t paid for." Instead of repetitive verbose posting why don't you just provide links to these many places and I'll happily accept you were right? I would genuinely appreciate that as I have until now used XBMCHUB as a source of impartial info. If they have been secretly been paid mouthpieces all along I'd sure appreciate knowing that but I'm guessing you'll come up with some other reason for not standing over the claim you made.

BTW, it's absolutely not true to say that AC3, DTS and MPEG2 cannot be played on the OUYA. The latest official OUYA store version of XBMC has had that functionality removed due to a licensing issue. Prior to that version the aforementioned functionality worked fine and since then anyone sideloading XBMC or SPMC (which is as tricky as loading an APK from a USB stick) has had full functionality.

You really should check your facts before pronouncing on these matters.

Ben

BTW, it's absolutely not true to say that AC3, DTS and MPEG2 cannot be played on the OUYA. The latest official OUYA store version of XBMC has had that functionality removed due to a licensing issue. Prior to that version the aforementioned functionality worked fine and since then anyone sideloading XBMC or SPMC (which is as tricky as loading an APK from a USB stick) has had full functionality.

You really should check your facts before pronouncing on these matters.

Ben

When that article was written those issues existed, and they knew it. Out of the box.
    I never said they cannot be played.

As for zero ads, maybe now, I haven't ben there in a while. It wass drowned in ads.

You're like a dog with a bone, I've said I have no intention of discussing that any further (I think this is the 4th time).
    Whether or not you believe me is inconsequential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

BTW, I really don't know what you mean by "drowned in adverts". Click on www.xbmchub.com and tell me how many adverts you see on the home page? I see a grand total of ZERO!! Are you Walter Mitty in disguise???

Ben

You must have some sort of ad-blocker running as I get three large banners when I go to the site's home page.

When that article was written those issues existed, and they knew it. Out of the box.
    I never said they cannot be played.
    so what EXACTLY does "They knew before that article was written that AC3, DTS and MPEG2 could not be played on the OUYA" mean then?

dubrov wrote: »
    You must have some sort of ad-blocker running as I get three large banners when I go to the site's home page.

I think you're right there dubrov, I do run an AdBlocker on Chrome.

My mistake.

Guilty as charged, I run an ad blocker on my browser, what can I say? It's obviously far more serious than accusing an author of being paid to write an article without any evidence to substantiate the claim and leagues more serious than stating in black and white that the OUYA can't process DTS etc then shortly afterwards denying making such a claim even though it it's there for everyone to see.

You've a special talent there Allyall.

Guilty as charged, I run an ad blocker on my browser, what can I say? It's obviously far more serious than accusing an author of being paid to write an article without any evidence to substantiate the claim and leagues more serious than stating in black and white that the OUYA can't process DTS etc then shortly afterwards denying making such a claim even though it it's there for everyone to see.

You've a special talent there Allyall.

Sorry, had to go out to meet somebody.

I said the OUYA could not, via XBMC at the time, out of the box. (As we were discussing XBMC)
    EDIT - I NEVER said could not Process.

What happened? were you dropped?

Sorry, had to go out to meet somebody.

I said the OUYA could not, via XBMC at the time, out of the box. (As we were discussing XBMC)
    EDIT - I NEVER said could not Process.

What happened? were you dropped?

Your attempted revisionism to prop up your failed argument is pathetic. Here's what your actually said "They knew before that article was written that AC3, DTS and MPEG2 could not be played on the OUYA, for many that was a huge reason not to purchase, having to convert tons of movies. That was long before SBMC."

Where did you state "out of the box"? All you said was that AC3 etc "could not be played on the OUYA" which is 100% wrong. Even if you had stated "out of the box" you would still have been wrong. XBMC ran perfectly straight out of the box and continues to do so.

I'm bored with you now but glad I took the time to expose your contributions for what they are.

My work here is done, I won't be responding to any more of your nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hopefully it is and you will stop ruining the thread for everyone else......

So you bought an OUYA and you think it is great......good for you.....

But can I just say Allyall has given some great advice on this thread and helped a lot of people and I hope he/she continues with there contribution because it is a lot more helpful than some other people(not naming anyone in particular:P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Regardless of all the various discussions about it, its merits, or otherwise, the Ouya definitely looks like a smart bit of kit, that is capable of running XBMC as well as its gaming option, so thought it might be of interest to some that it is currently just £89.99 at Game.co.uk at the moment that includes £10 credit for the Ouya store too.

It seems like a good deal, compared to Amazon or Ebay at the moment. They also have pre owned for £74.99, which again, doesn't seem too bad. £2.95 postage to Ireland according to their website, or maybe Parcel Motel for the usual €3.50?

Link to Game.co.uk HERE

Hope its of use to someone.

Regardless of all the various discussions about it, its merits, or otherwise, the Ouya definitely looks like a smart bit of kit, that is capable of running XBMC as well as its gaming option, so thought it might be of interest to some that it is currently just £89.99 at Game.co.uk at the moment that includes £10 credit for the Ouya store too.

It seems like a good deal, compared to Amazon or Ebay at the moment. They also have pre owned for £74.99, which again, doesn't seem too bad. £2.95 postage to Ireland according to their website, or maybe Parcel Motel for the usual €3.50?

Link to Game.co.uk HERE

Hope its of use to someone.

Not a bad deal......

Hi Guys

Mate is looking for box so I am thinking of selling my T-R42 which has the 3188T processor and go with something which has the proper version. No real reason apart from I like to go fast! :P

Any idea's of what is out there and will run? and I know the Ouya has a quad core:P

I'm bored with you now but glad I took the time to expose your contributions for what they are.

Lol. Derp Columbo. "My work here is done.". :(
    My contributions to xbmchub articles has been exposed.. :eek: :confused:

Tranquil PC are selling the Intel NUC (DN2820FYKH) for £84.99 + £5 to Parcel Motel.

It's not a powerhouse, and works out at roughly €135 delivered, but given the price and that you're not limited to what you can install, it may be worth a punt for a few people. I bought one yesterday for something else, but thought it was a good price.

More info - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Intel_NUC

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Big Nelly wrote: »

But can I just say Allyall has given some great advice on this thread and helped a lot of people and I hope he/she continues with there contribution because it is a lot more helpful than some other people(not naming anyone in particular:P)

+1,he's provided some valuable & excellent advice.Thanks to him I ordered a box which will do everything I need it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Big Nelly wrote: »

+1

as has Ben There so lets put down the handbags and get back to the XBMC business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

is there a basic free app to control android tv from my smartphone?

I need something to shutdown android etc. when I'm done with xbmc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Is there an addon for the RTE player that comes with instruction , that is made for simpletons , that could be added to XBMC on the OUYA .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

is there a basic free app to control android tv from my smartphone?

I need something to shutdown android etc. when I'm done with xbmc

Droidmote is good but not free, It's cheap though. The server side device (TV box) needs to be rooted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement