Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Box is flying, so just have installed Netflix, RTE player and Xbmc

Any other recommended apps??

Just looked at geekbuying, was planning on upgrading to Tronsmart A928 but on looking at spec now it says it has the T processor......see below

Seems like a lot of the boxes have the "cheaper" processor.....

just wondering when I am playing HD films it something starts acting like it is buffering, would this be the T processor causing this? I have 50MB connection with UPC but getting this upgraded to 120MB in a few weeks......

SoC – Rockchip RK3188T Quad Core Cortex A9 CPU with a Mali-400MP4 GPU

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-A928-5G-WIFI-Quad-Core-TV-BOX-Android-4-2-w--OTA-Bluetooth-4-0-RJ45-SPDIF-HDMI-with-Free-2-4G-Fly-Mouse-W--Mic-Audio-Out-Black-323617.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Box is flying, so just have installed Netflix, RTE player and Xbmc

Any other recommended apps??

I personally like MX Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

VideoMix Pro. You will need to google VideoMix pro apk and install from the internet as it is not on the Play Store anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Get ready for Sailfish :);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

So I did a good bit of reading online over the last couple of weeks and decided to go for the Ouya.
    Absolutely superb device. Supports xbmc running at 1080 without issue.
    Some details about it can be found here for those interested :
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=OUYA

So I did a good bit of reading online over the last couple of weeks and decided to go for the Ouya.
    Absolutely superb device. Supports xbmc running at 1080 without issue.
    Some details about it can be found here for those interested :
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=OUYA

Where and how much it cost?

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Where and how much it cost?
    http://www.ouya.tv/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Allyall wrote: »

Ally, what exactly is this Ouya all about? Does it have it's own version of Android, is it it's own closed ecosystem, what's the difference between it and a normal Android tv box, what advantages/disadvantages does it have?

I can't get my head around what's so special about it, surely any Android TV box can do the same with an added game controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

You can buy it on Amazon
    It retails at 100 GBP.

I'm not hugely techy, but I'll try. I think the uniqueness of the device is how flawlessly it handles high res content on xbmc for the money that you are paying. It's a quad core device and handles even the most demanding of skins.
    It is closed off in a way that it has its own app store.. But using this app store you can install Ouya's official version of XBMC. Due to licensing issues they had to remove AC3 and DTS audio support. But I haven't had any issues playing any files I have tried on it. If you do need AC3/DTS audio support, you can install Frodo or Gotham.
    "For brave test users, we currently recommend a nightly Android build (pre-v13 "Gotham"). It is an unstable development version, but contains the latest fixes and improvements. AC3 and DTS audio processing is supported.http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/android/arm/)".

I had Gotham originally but some of the repositories wouldn't work for me. I think because its still in beta, many repositories havent bothered to do the required for them to work on Gotham. Hence why I just installed the official Ouya XBMC which has been working perfectly.
    I love being able to control the xbmc using my phone. It works v well.

A side from the xbmc, the Ouya app store offers a huge amount of games (afterall, it was intended to be a game device) and it's great being able to download snes/n64 emulators.

• Advertisement

Blade wrote: »
    Ally, what exactly is this Ouya all about? Does it have it's own version of Android, is it it's own closed ecosystem, what's the difference between it and a normal Android tv box, what advantages/disadvantages does it have?

I can't get my head around what's so special about it, surely any Android TV box can do the same with an added game controller?

It's not that special. It has decent hardware (Nvidia Tegra 3, Geforce, Quad Core Arm A9), and has a big community.
    It is mostly a tiny games console, which has many developers making cool games for it. Somebody ported XBMC on to it, and that seems to have taken off.
    The forums don't mention XBMC an awful lot. Not any more than Netflix/Lovefilm/Hulu or whatever.

In short,
    Basically, it is a pretty good "Micro Gaming Console" (I think is it's official title), With a large library of games. The hardware just allows it to double as a Media centre, and has a large community.

There is a new version coming out this summer I think.

Many of the other android apps and emulators/remotes etc.. all work just as well in most other decent Android devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Was all set to order an ouya, now not so sure. If there are other boxes that are as robust and do the same thing for cheaper, maybe I need to think again. Seen a couple of quad core ones, like the mk809 III, looks decent. Ah well, more research required I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

You can buy it on Amazon
    It retails at 100 GBP.

I'm not hugely techy, but I'll try. I think the uniqueness of the device is how flawlessly it handles high res content on xbmc for the money that you are paying. It's a quad core device and handles even the most demanding of skins.
    It is closed off in a way that it has its own app store.. But using this app store you can install Ouya's official version of XBMC. Due to licensing issues they had to remove AC3 and DTS audio support. But I haven't had any issues playing any files I have tried on it. If you do need AC3/DTS audio support, you can install Frodo or Gotham.
    "For brave test users, we currently recommend a nightly Android build (pre-v13 "Gotham"). It is an unstable development version, but contains the latest fixes and improvements. AC3 and DTS audio processing is supported.http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/android/arm/)".

I had Gotham originally but some of the repositories wouldn't work for me. I think because its still in beta, many repositories havent bothered to do the required for them to work on Gotham. Hence why I just installed the official Ouya XBMC which has been working perfectly.
    I love being able to control the xbmc using my phone. It works v well.

A side from the xbmc, the Ouya app store offers a huge amount of games (afterall, it was intended to be a game device) and it's great being able to download snes/n64 emulators.

How do you control it with phone

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭robbe

How do you control it with phone

XBMC remote control app on playstore

got the xbmc remote working :)

having 2 problems:)

if i plug in a usb stick(into android tv stick) it doesn't show up in xbmc> video>files:confused:

and if i plug in a usb ethernet adapater and cable(into tv stick) xbmc remote stops working:confused:

got the xbmc remote working :)
    having 2 problems:)
    if i plug in a usb stick(into android tv stick) it doesn't show up in xbmc> video>files:confused:

and if i plug in a usb ethernet adapater and cable(into tv stick) xbmc remote stops working:confused:

For the first problem, make sure you have scanned your library correctly, and check everything here. - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Incorrect_and_missing_videos

For the second, it could be one of a few things. Which remote are you using?

Try Yatse (If you are not already using it) - and follow this guide to set it up - http://yatse.leetzone.org/redmine/projects/androidwidget/wiki/Setup

For the first problem, make sure you have scanned your library correctly, and check everything here. - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Incorrect_and_missing_videos

For the second, it could be one of a few things. Which remote are you using?

Try Yatse (If you are not already using it) - and follow this guide to set it up - http://yatse.leetzone.org/redmine/projects/androidwidget/wiki/Setup

thanks i'll check tomorrow when i sober up:)

bit of a learning curve with this xbmc:)

i've got it booting direct to xbmc and the remote working(with tv stick on wlan) and some good streams so far..

edit;i'm using the official xbmc remote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

It's not that special. It has decent hardware (Nvidia Tegra 3, Geforce, Quad Core Arm A9), and has a big community.
    It is mostly a tiny games console, which has many developers making cool games for it. Somebody ported XBMC on to it, and that seems to have taken off.
    The forums don't mention XBMC an awful lot. Not any more than Netflix/Lovefilm/Hulu or whatever.

In short,
    Basically, it is a pretty good "Micro Gaming Console" (I think is it's official title), With a large library of games. The hardware just allows it to double as a Media centre, and has a large community.

There is a new version coming out this summer I think.

Many of the other android apps and emulators/remotes etc.. all work just as well in most other decent Android devices.

XBMCHUB.COM say the OUYA is "The best hardware option for running XBMC" which is a pretty strong recommendation. See http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/ouya-the-best-hardware-option-for-running-xbmc

I have two OUYA's and they absolutely rock. Haven't had one problem with them. XBMC runs smooth as butter.

Just sayin!!!

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    XBMCHUB.COM say the OUYA is "The best hardware option for running XBMC" which is a pretty strong recommendation.

:rolleyes:

- Edit.

I should ellaborate.

There are Millions of better hardware options for XBMC. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

- Edit.

I should ellaborate.

just saw your edit as i was about to berate you for the use of roly eyes:pac:

you are usually a most helpful poster! not having a go, can you give us some context? i also heard the ouya is a great option for running xbmc. its the extreme proliferation of android sticks which causes me confusion.

• Advertisement

- Edit.

I should ellaborate.

I see what you did there, man I wish could make sarcastic and pointless posts at the same time just like you Allyall.

I see what you did there, man I wish could make sarcastic and pointless posts at the same time just like you Allyall.
    You can.
    emo72 wrote: »
    I also heard the ouya is a great option for running xbmc. its the extreme proliferation of android sticks which causes me confusion.

I didn't mean to sound like I was being a smartass to a post. I was referring to the xbmchub 'article'.

With all the sarcasm, it's hard to know..

I'm pretty sure that post, or 'article' was paid for.

The Ouya is a great device, no argument. But to call it the best hardware option for running XBMC, it doesn't even scratch the surface of coming close. You may want to argue that with these guys to begin with. Baring in mind some of them would not let XBMC near any of their setups.

If you wanted to argue that there is a difference in price, it could go on all day, but, then I would go for the MX2.
    For the price (less than half in Europe), and if you only intend on using it as a Media Centre, it is a great option. It can play everything, and has great support.
    Also has been used for 2060p security cameras on the Fodics Korean systems sending the feed to them, without any problem (24 hours a day, every day).
    Same internals as the Tronsmart Prometheus, and there are some brilliant ROMS for it, not including the Ubuntu/XBMCbuntu installations.

There are loads of these devices, and if you want to play games, you could also, just not likely the Ouya games.
    Most of the devices he dismisses in that article are excellent.

It will go on for quite a while. But I'd rather a Dual-Core, with a good heart, than a Quad-Core that struggles.

I wrote way more than I had intended..

Allyall, I've two major problems with your last contribution
    I'm pretty sure that post, or 'article' was paid for.
    You sound like a smart person who has a deep understanding of this area of technology so why would you resort to making unfounded claims about an article penned by an independent community dedicated to XBMC instead of using facts and figures to critique their conclusion?
    I'd rather a Dual-Core, with a good heart, than a Quad-Core that struggles.
    If you prefer a Dual-Core that's fine but your statement infers that the Quad-Core OUYA struggles in some way. Can you back that up or are you just throwing more unfounded accusations around to make your point? FYI I'm running 2 OUYA's for over 4 months and I haven't had a single issue with them running anything I throw at them.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ I got this: http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-A928-5G-WIFI-Quad-Core-TV-BOX-Android-4-2-w--OTA-Bluetooth-4-0-RJ45-SPDIF-HDMI-with-Free-2-4G-Fly-Mouse-W--Mic-Audio-Out-Black-323617.html

It came pre-installed with XBMC and lot of popular add-ons. Runs XBMC without any issue.

It's cheaper than OUYA and it does have quad core cpu and all :)

Another option to keep in mind....

With all these devices its a bit of hit or miss. The one that works for you is after all the best option.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    ^^ I got this: http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-A928-5G-WIFI-Quad-Core-TV-BOX-Android-4-2-w--OTA-Bluetooth-4-0-RJ45-SPDIF-HDMI-with-Free-2-4G-Fly-Mouse-W--Mic-Audio-Out-Black-323617.html

It came pre-installed with XBMC and lot of popular add-ons. Runs XBMC without any issue.

It's cheaper than OUYA and it does have quad core cpu and all :)

Another option to keep in mind....

With all these devices its a bit of hit or miss. The one that works for you is after all the best option.

it's got the 3188t chip

futeko has boxes with the 3188 chip

You sound like a smart person
    Thank You.
    why would you resort to making unfounded claims about an article penned by an independent community dedicated to XBMC instead of using facts and figures to critique their conclusion?
    Not as unfounded as you may think. Also, I don't know why you are so surprised that a forum/blog would be paid to write and post an article about something on the internet. But not something I am going to discuss.
    If you want to believe that the OUYA is the best hardware and that it is the cheapest, by all means, do so.
    If you prefer a Dual-Core that's fine but your statement infers that the Quad-Core OUYA struggles in some way. Can you back that up or are you just throwing more unfounded accusations around to make your point? FYI I'm running 2 OUYA's for over 4 months and I haven't had a single issue with them running anything I throw at them.
    Ben
    Speaking of unfounded claims/accusations, why are you so sure i am making unfounded claims and accusations? Are you making unfounded accusations/claims? :pac:

I didn't mean my reference to a good Dual-Core vs. a struggling Quad-Core to be taken as meaning the OUYA, I didn't even think that is the way it would be taken, when I wrote it.
    I just meant that a good Dual-Core can be as good as a Quad-Core, for Media/XBMC. Specifically referring to the AMLogic.

As mentioned, there are tons of devices to choose from. I have said many times that I think the OUYA is a good device, I just don't think it is the best, and it's definitely not the cheapest.
    I don't know why you would take it so personally that i don't think it is the best, or spectacular for the price. Especially when, as mentioned above, there are so many devices available.

it's got the 3188t chip

Does the chip really matter when everything is working perfect?

it's got the 3188t chip

have the 3188T in mine as well, link below. It plays XBMC perfect, HD works perfect. Only problem so far has been UPC speed dropping over weekend which had never happened before....

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/T-R42-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-2-2-RK3188-28nm-Cortex-A9-1-6-GHz-Mini-TV-BOX-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-8G-BT-RJ45-External-Wifi-Antenna-with-IR-Remote-Controller-Black-317424.html

I dont use wifi. I have it wired. Dont have any speed issues. I just dont find wifi on these devices to be very stable.

• Advertisement

xbmc remote won't connect to my tv stick if I connect the USB ethernet

any idea why?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement