Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

jonski wrote: »
    Is there an addon for the RTE player that comes with instruction , that is made for simpletons , that could be added to XBMC on the OUYA .

Better than that, Mossy's Irish TV add-on does all the Irish players and Aertv live channels too. Just Google it...

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

I'm using a remote on my android phone called Yatse which I find excellent
    I cannot remember if its possible to shut down XBMC with it however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

I'm using a remote on my android phone called Yatse which I find excellent
    I cannot remember if its possible to shut down XBMC with it however.

I've got xbmc remote
    I couldn't figure out yatse

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

I've got xbmc remote
    I couldn't figure out yatse

I had yatse working in minutes.
    I found a video on youtube explaining how to set it up.

i tred lanmote lite server but it wasn't working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Guys I bought the mk908ii bundle of geekbuying.com. Is it easy to get the airmouse and box to connect through Bluetooth or will i need to wire a mouse first ?

14murphy wrote: »
    Guys I bought the mk908ii bundle of geekbuying.com. Is it easy to get the airmouse and box to connect through Bluetooth or will i need to wire a mouse first ?

should be

what's the heat sink like on these

I bought a stick but I have to fit a major heatsink.. won't run 5 minutes without on xbmc

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

should be

what's the heat sink like on these

I bought a stick but I have to fit a major heatsink.. won't run 5 minutes without on xbmc

Supposedly its fairly decent. A step up from the original mk908

14murphy wrote: »
    Supposedly its fairly decent. A step up from the original mk908

i stuck a small heatsink on mine today

it got too hot

Im going to stick a big copper one on it

connectivity is easy with these

a powered USB hub is handy for peripherals.. just don't get the cheap Chinese jobs.. they won't power the stuff

you can connect ethernet with a USB rj45 adapter easily

hi

I have Yatsee on my Android phone controlling xbmc on my Android tv stick

All seems well except the power actions don't work except for quit

any idea what the problem might be.. I need the Android shutdown to save an extra remote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

hi

I have Yatsee on my Android phone controlling xbmc on my Android tv stick

All seems well except the power actions don't work except for quit

any idea what the problem might be.. I need the Android shutdown to save an extra remote?

Yatse had a few updates recently and one today. It is possible they might be affecting it. It may also be a problem with the version of XBMC you are controlling, have you tried it on a PC or another version of XBMC?

EDIT..

On a sidenote, regarding your earlier post above, Try an Old 2 pence, or a current 5c 2c 5c sandwich. They work as a great heatsink, and only cost 9c or less (I think. I have no idea what a 2 pence is worth. :) )

Allyall wrote: »
    Yatse had a few updates recently and one today. It is possible they might be affecting it. It may also be a problem with the version of XBMC you are controlling, have you tried it on a PC or another version of XBMC?

EDIT..

On a sidenote, regarding your earlier post above, Try an Old 2 pence, or a current 5c 2c 5c sandwich. They work as a great heatsink, and only cost 9c or less (I think. I have no idea what a 2 pence is worth. :) )

thanks I'll try those suggestions on the Yatsee.. and report back
    I never thought to use coins.. are they usually enough and do you use thermal paste?

I tried a heatsink first but it was hot
    and shutting off so ended up with a heatsink fan and paste.. it's the small ALU heatsink /fan that's on pc motherboards
    The copper will presumably be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

i stuck a small heatsink on mine today

it got too hot

Im going to stick a big copper one on it

connectivity is easy with these

a powered USB hub is handy for peripherals.. just don't get the cheap Chinese jobs.. they won't power the stuff

you can connect ethernet with a USB rj45 adapter easily
    Anyone looking for a usb to ethernet adapter I bought a linksys one from adverts yesterday thinking it was a wifi key.. It's new in box unopened

what do I backup if I want to keep my existing addons and sources?

I want to try out a different version

thanks I'll try those suggestions on the Yatsee.. and report back
    I never thought to use coins.. are they usually enough and do you use thermal paste?
    ?

Yep, use thermal paste. An older coin is better (more copper) than the new coins. An old penny might suit you better.
    Some of the cheap ones are terrible, and a coin is handy if you don't have a heatsink lying around, or find the one you have, to be useless. Obviously coins aren't ideal, but they can do a great job.

Try super backup for backing up.

Allyall wrote: »
    Yep, use thermal paste. An older coin is better (more copper) than the new coins. An old penny might suit you better.
    Some of the cheap ones are terrible, and a coin is handy if you don't have a heatsink lying around, or find the one you have, to be useless. Obviously coins aren't ideal, but they can do a great job.

Try super backup for backing up.

I'll prob leave well enough alone for now
    the new coins mightn't be great
    I was surprised the ALU heatsink was overheating before I added fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Picked up an MK808 B.

Been playing around with it and it's working well so far. Got XBMC installed and have a couple of questions.

If I put media files on memory key, XBMC doesn't seem to see the memory key. Is there a better way to transfer and or stream downloaded media? What about streaming content (photos / videos) from my phone?

I really like the add ons for XBMC for video streaming (youtube, rte player etc). Where can I find more of these add ons or are there any you would recommend?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

keith16 wrote: »
    Picked up an MK808 B.

Been playing around with it and it's working well so far. Got XBMC installed and have a couple of questions.

If I put media files on memory key, XBMC doesn't seem to see the memory key. Is there a better way to transfer and or stream downloaded media? What about streaming content (photos / videos) from my phone?

I really like the add ons for XBMC for video streaming (youtube, rte player etc). Where can I find more of these add ons or are there any you would recommend?

Thanks!

I find this guys youtube videos very good for teaching about how to and what repos to add:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dawild1504?feature=watch

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

keith16 wrote: »
    If I put media files on memory key, XBMC doesn't seem to see the memory key.

It should do, you might be looking in the wrong place as it has a weird directory structure. Try looking in Root filesystem -> mnt -> usb_storage and possibly two subfolders below this again as is the case with mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

iba wrote: »
    I find this guys youtube videos very good for teaching about how to and what repos to add:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dawild1504?feature=watch
    Blade wrote: »
    It should do, you might be looking in the wrong place as it has a weird directory structure. Try looking in Root filesystem -> mnt -> usb_storage and possibly two subfolders below this again as is the case with mine.

Fantastic, that's a great help.

One other quick n00b question. I am using remotedroid through my phone to navigate around. I'm also using yatse to control XBMC.

Each time I turn on my android tv, I have to configure the IP settings in both remotes on my phone to get them working.

Is there anyway I can use a static IP so I don't have to do this each time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Noob question.

Would this be a good deal and would it be easy to install XBMC on it
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/raspberry-pi-board-and-starter-kit-r45pi

Noob question.

I do not know if it is a good deal but you can install xbmc on it

not sure about the deal but probably not the handiest way to get xbmc anyhow

Breaking down the prices and wired keyboard and mouse, It doesn't seem like a good price. Look around on Amazon/Ebay/Argos and you'd probably get a Wireless keyboard and mouse along with the rest of those items cheaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Noob question.

I have the raspberry pi, and i have only been messing about with it. But it wouldn't be the easiest thing to install xbmc on.

I'm using an MX android box running xbmc perfectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Cheers guys, maybe go with something easier to work with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm going to get the MK908II bundle from Geekbuyer - can anyone who's dealt with these people say how long delivery is?

I'm going to remove the game controller as I'm not a gamer, so have no use for it.

Also, with XBMC, is it just a matter of installing it and adding the repos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I'm going to get the MK908II bundle from Geekbuyer - can anyone who's dealt with these people say how long delivery is?

I'm going to remove the game controller as I'm not a gamer, so have no use for it.

I got the same bundle before Christmas but went for the express delivery. It took about 10 days from what I recall.

When I initially installed XBMC on the stock firmware, the picture was a little jittery. After getting fed up with that, I installed the custom Finless firmware and a customised version of XBMC called JustXBMC. Works flawlessly now.

The guide for the custom firmware installation is on the Geekbuying blog and I think the link for JustXBMC was in a thread on Boards.

In terms of adding the repos, I have found the Fusion installer (google it), to give all the ones I want to use.

Also, I would suggest that the AirMouse that comes in the bundle isnt much use and that a wireless keyboard such as the Logitech K400 is a far better way to go.

I got the same bundle before Christmas but went for the express delivery. It took about 10 days from what I recall.

When I initially installed XBMC on the stock firmware, the picture was a little jittery. After getting fed up with that, I installed the custom Finless firmware and a customised version of XBMC called JustXBMC. Works flawlessly now.

The guide for the custom firmware installation is on the Geekbuying blog and I think the link for JustXBMC was in a thread on Boards.

In terms of adding the repos, I have found the Fusion installer (google it), to give all the ones I want to use.

Also, I would suggest that the AirMouse that comes in the bundle isnt much use and that a wireless keyboard such as the Logitech K400 is a far better way to go.

Hi
    I have justxbmc on my box too but I did not put the finless. Rom. Should I and what are its benefits please?

I also got the logitech keyboard. I think it's the k300 for £30 on amazon.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I got standard delivery, ordered on 23 Jan and delivered on 14th of Feb, think it was about 4-5 days after order before it was actually shipped....that was without getting caught in VAT land....just had sticker on it saying it was worth 20 dollers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement