Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Blade wrote: »
    Quite annoying TBH, won't be helping them out any more that's for sure. Reminds me of a mate of mine who I showed my 808b and xbmc to ages ago and he said "that's crap", then 6 months later he buys one and I showed him how to set up xbmc on it. A few days later he's telling me that all his mates want one including a sat installer who wants to sell them. He was just telling them where to get them and I said "F*ck off, we should at least be making money on them after all the hassle learning about them!".

Anyway, there's a lot more to learn than these people can imagine, especially when things start going wrong in the future, so I'll just leave them to it from now on...

Agree wholeheartedly :)

There is/was also someone on this thread and another thread, that posts links to their own (may be the same guy) ads, and asks what people think/is it good..

I also have to agree, there is so much more to them. Which is often can be more of a nuisance.. :)

I showed someone how to set up a few different devices, in many ways, and even did a fair bit of 'phone support' for him. Turns out he was/is selling them, without a clue what he is doing (Thinks he does), and making a fair bit.
    I have no problem with that, but why not be honest from the start, and ask me, not USE me (I probably would have showed him a quicker way to do them all).
    I said it to a friend of mine, and was greeted with a hated phrase of mine.. "That's business".. (I'm not in business with them).
    Anyway, I await his next call, and I will talk him through semi-bricking it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

I am sorry that I have annoyed you.

When I bought this box I came across a listing on adverts for this box with a selling price of 119 Euro

So I bought a few from geek buying. One for myself and four others for Xmas present and decided to sell what I had left over.

I have never pasted any links to my adverts.ie post on here nor have I enticed or suggested to anyone on here to buy from me.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I have a question about these boxes, when you chose to download a stream of a movie for instance, where is this saved, and how do I go about viewing it then? Downloaded a movie last nite but could not find it then.

Also, has anyone used torrents on these boxes?

Edit: I have a CS918, which I think is an MK888

iba wrote: »
    I am sorry that I have annoyed you.

When I bought this box I came across a listing on adverts for this box with a selling price of 119 Euro

So I bought a few from geek buying. One for myself and four others for Xmas present and decided to sell what I had left over.

I have never pasted any links to my adverts.ie post on here nor have I enticed or suggested to anyone on here to buy from me.

Regards

Haven't annoyed me..
    Who are you talking to?

I have no problem with People making money, and plenty of it if possible, selling anything they can and if need be, getting the info to do it, possible. :)

I am specifically referring to a nuisance 'friend' who has been selling boxes (amongst other things), without knowing the really really basic things. When he has problems, I am bombarded with phonecalls. He recently came into posession of my home phone number (I have no idea how, and I am completely baffled.) and rings until it is answered, also ringing my mobile.

I was literally fixing problems for him and he was getting paid.

He called to my house two weeks ago and left 2 x Kimdecent T21's, One with a banjaxed ROM, and a very old thin client running puppy linux (Which I had installed) when I wasn't there.. Long story, a lot more to it.
    He hasn't even tried to figure out what he's looking at. He immediately rings me.

ANYWAAAYYYY - - Ranting way too much.... No bad from me towards anyone here,
    just venting about being used by him, and feel much the fool.. Sometimes I was looking at that stuff well into the early hours of the morning..

I have a question about these boxes, when you chose to download a stream of a movie for instance, where is this saved, and how do I go about viewing it then? Downloaded a movie last nite but could not find it then.

Also, has anyone used torrents on these boxes?

Edit: I have a CS918, which I think is an MK888

Usually in the Downloads Folder. You may find it easier to browse to that folder using something like ES File Explorer.

Yep to torrents. I use uTorrent which is very handy, and I have some free storage on Put.io. Brilliant for very old barely seeded torrents. Some use What the Furk, or an attached storage device.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips, got it working.

One thing I can't figure out though, is that when using the supplied remote how do I "right click"? In that when in file explorer and I want to delete a file I can't, as when I click on it it just opens it. Can't figure out how to get options

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

how do I "right click"? In that when in file explorer and I want to delete a file I can't, as when I click on it it just opens it. Can't figure out how to get options

Not sure what setup or file manager you're using, but try click and hold for a second or two.

Thanks for the tips, got it working.

One thing I can't figure out though, is that when using the supplied remote how do I "right click"? In that when in file explorer and I want to delete a file I can't, as when I click on it it just opens it. Can't figure out how to get options

Not sure if this will work, but try the letter 'c'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Keyboard controls are often faster than right clicking
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keyboard_controls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hye guys, quick question, the box I bought was shipped yesterday, will it take at least 2 weeks to arrive even after shipping? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hye guys, quick question, the box I bought was shipped yesterday, will it take at least 2 weeks to arrive even after shipping? Thanks

Depends on where you bought it from and which shipping method you used, most Chinese companies are closed for Chinese New Year so it could be delayed because of that also.

eamonnq wrote: »
    Depends on where you bought it from and which shipping method you used, most Chinese companies are closed for Chinese New Year so it could be delayed because of that also.

Bought from geekbuying as per earlier on this thread......

Would say three weeks to a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Guess I should have trawled through the thread first.......sorry about that.

Any clues on the shipping method you used ? There is a guide on their website that might be of some use.........but probably not.

http://www.geekbuying.com/help/payment_and_shipping/shipping_guide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Guys got my new box delivered today:
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-A928-5G-WIFI-Quad-Core-TV-BOX-Android-4-2-w--OTA-Bluetooth-4-0-RJ45-SPDIF-HDMI-with-Free-2-4G-Fly-Mouse-W--Mic-Audio-Out-Black-323617.html

First impression: neatly boxed, device looks nice, very light (actually I would have liked it to be a little heavier, it can move even with the weight to HDMI cable :( ).

What's in box: Device, full length HDMI cable, power adapter, EU plug, Micro USB cable and TWO remote's. I was thinking it comes with 1 remote but it comes with 2 remotes - one Infra red and another 2.4ghz one with USB adapter. Infra red is a smaller remote with only 5-6 keys, quite handy for light use.

There's a sleep button in front of the device, quite handy, you dont need to off then unplug and turn it again like older Android sticks. From remote you can put it into sleep and wake it up again as well.

The device runs smooth. I did a quick speed test and I was getting around 30Mbps download and 12Mbps upload on wifi. Yet to test with Ethernet cable. If it gives this speed constantly I may not need the Ethernet cable (the reason why I bought this in the first place :D )

Antutu Score on my MK808B was around 8000.

On this device its - 16212.

CPU Integet - 2259
    CPU Float Point - 1529
    RAM Operation - 1764
    RAM Speed - 956
    2D Graphics - 1314
    3D Graphics - 2263
    Storage I/O - 1095

The device is pre-rooted which is nice.

XBMC XAF version pre-installed with few popular add-ons :) The only add on missing is the sports one ;) Which will soon to be installed :P:p

Flash not installed unlike MK808B but will be simple to install.

Played some HD videos on youtube. Quite smooth playback.

Yet to attach portable HD to see if it will power up the Harddisk. Would like to playback some HD videos to see how it handles.

The typing buttons on the remote is firm, which is nice. On my older remote it was easy to press a key see something like 'yessssss' on the screen and then delete back the extra characters. No such issue on this one.

There's a headphone plug in the remote. I plugged in my headphone but yet to see it working, no sound. I guess there may be some setting in the sound somewhere. I will figure it out.

I may post more as I discover other things.

coldfire1x wrote: »

Antutu Score on my MK808B was around 8000.

On this device its - 16212.

CPU Integet - 2259
    CPU Float Point - 1529
    RAM Operation - 1764
    RAM Speed - 956
    2D Graphics - 1314
    3D Graphics - 2263
    Storage I/O - 1095

Just a heads up.. (For all devices containing the RK3188).

Some newer versions apparently come with the RK3188T instead of the RK3188.

IT'S NOT (really) A BAD THING.

EDIT - The RK3188T is apparently an imitation chip.

Geekbuying mention if it is the 'T' version, when they are aware, but it has been apparently installed in all 'new' versions of previous MK3188 devices. Sometimes it is marked as a MK3188 device.

Some as old as April last year.

THIS HAS THE RK3188T Marked
    and
    THIS DOESN'T MENTION IT, BUT IT MAY HAVE. (Most likely does, hence the price drop).

EDIT (As I was writing) - They now mark it as RK3188T, but they still claim it has speeds of 1.6GHz. - It doesn't, and apparently cannot be clocked either.

MINIX have confirmed they only sell genuine RK3188 Processors.

This list is growing.

Blacklist table so far - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiEEGGIzDDkPdDljbUVkSHNpZXpVbjN1UjAwM0UtNmc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Original Information from here - http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?9829-Blacklist-of-locked-Down-Version%B4s-of-RK3188-CPU

EDIT - It can get quite confusing, but best to check the list.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

There's a headphone plug in the remote. I plugged in my headphone but yet to see it working, no sound. I guess there may be some setting in the sound somewhere. I will figure it out.

Seen there that it says you press the button beside the headphone jack to switch from TV to remote :P That remote looks great, let us know how you get on with it. I found my RC11 a pain to use with the cursor going all over the screen and having to constantly re-center it. Batteries weren't lasting too long in it either. Just using a simple wireless mouse now.

So did you get hit for the VAT? :)

I used a number of the Rii type keyboards and found them all lacking. I picked up a Logitech k400 and it delivers on all fronts and batteries have lasted a year without changing.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005LDLQXG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I used a number of the Rii type keyboards and found them all lacking. I picked up a Logitech k400 and it delivers on all fronts and batteries have lasted a year without changing.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005LDLQXG

+1 on the Logitech keyboard. I got one in a bargain alerts deal and it is ideal for these type of devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

+1 on the Logitech keyboard. I got one in a bargain alerts deal and it is ideal for these type of devices.

Are these full sized or mini keyboards?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

As did I and it's great but I lost my left arrow key somehow, any ideas on getting it replaced?

Guys got my new box delivered today:
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-A928-5G-WIFI-Quad-Core-TV-BOX-Android-4-2-w--OTA-Bluetooth-4-0-RJ45-SPDIF-HDMI-with-Free-2-4G-Fly-Mouse-W--Mic-Audio-Out-Black-323617.html

First impression: neatly boxed, device looks nice, very light (actually I would have liked it to be a little heavier, it can move even with the weight to HDMI cable :( ).

What's in box: Device, full length HDMI cable, power adapter, EU plug, Micro USB cable and TWO remote's. I was thinking it comes with 1 remote but it comes with 2 remotes - one Infra red and another 2.4ghz one with USB adapter. Infra red is a smaller remote with only 5-6 keys, quite handy for light use.

There's a sleep button in front of the device, quite handy, you dont need to off then unplug and turn it again like older Android sticks. From remote you can put it into sleep and wake it up again as well.

Thanks for feedback, I dropped out of buying that one

Just wondering how long after you got email saying it had shipped did it take to arrive? Thanks

jgbyr wrote: »
    Are these full sized or mini keyboards?

Full sized. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDo5fBMBySI
    sweetie wrote: »
    As did I and it's great but I lost my left arrow key somehow, any ideas on getting it replaced?

I don't think it's possible for the K400. But the keyboard can go as low as €18 in price, possibly lower, maybe that's one of the reasons.
    A key usually costs about €5 delivered.

That aside, I've seen keys for many of the Logitech keyboards, but unfortunately, never for the K400. Maybe possible to find one on ebay.

EDIT - Just did a quick search on the logitech forum. Unfortunately i closed the page before i copied the link. They say they don't provide replacement hardware for keyboards unless specificlly stated (USB dongle, Wrist rest etc..).

Allyall wrote: »
    I don't think it's possible for the K400. But the keyboard can go as low as €18 in price, possibly lower. .

Any links on where to get one of these for that price

Any links on where to get one of these for that price

Not at the moment. I'm keeping an eye out for one too.
    I recently gave mine away to somebody going travelling.
    They can go that low in sales and promotions, Normally around €30, but I haven't seen any since Christmas. If I do, I'll post here.

Allyall wrote: »
    Not at the moment. I'm keeping an eye out for one too.
    I recently gave mine away to somebody going travelling.
    They can go that low in sales and promotions, Normally around €30, but I haven't seen any since Christmas. If I do, I'll post here.

Nice one, thanks for that

Blade wrote: »
    Seen there that it says you press the button beside the headphone jack to switch from TV to remote :P That remote looks great, let us know how you get on with it. I found my RC11 a pain to use with the cursor going all over the screen and having to constantly re-center it. Batteries weren't lasting too long in it either. Just using a simple wireless mouse now.

So did you get hit for the VAT? :)

Thanks for the tip about the headphone jack. I did see the button beside it but wasn't sure that it is :p I will give it a try in the evening. Not sure about the battery life, will let you know how it works out.

I got this remote last time and I still have it:
    http://dx.com/p/mele-f10-fly-mouse-3-in-1-2-4ghz-wireless-air-mouse-keyboard-remote-control-black-128312

It has a rechargeable battery and it lasts ages. I can still use it with the new box :)

Luckily I did not get hit although the box was a bit big :) My friend ordered it the same day and his is in customs. It looks like hit or miss thing at the moment. The value on the parcel was put at $20.

• Advertisement

Thanks for feedback, I dropped out of buying that one

Just wondering how long after you got email saying it had shipped did it take to arrive? Thanks

Ordered it on 9th and got it delivered on 28th.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement