Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats so good about MAC laptops?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

mordeith wrote: »
    12 pages later = EPIC FAIL! (as they say in YouTube parlance) :P

And apart from the opening post the OP hasn't even been back to participate. :rolleyes:

Wait for part two when the OP asks should he get an iPhone or an Android phone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

mordeith wrote: »
    12 pages later = EPIC FAIL! (as they say in YouTube parlance) :P

I'm just pissed that after 12 pages not one of the windows advocates has been able to point to any of these great value windows laptops which were promised.

Was hoping to buy one.

At the very least they could have admitted they were takin out if their proverbials!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

floggg wrote: »
    I'm just pissed that after 12 pages not one of the windows advocates has been able to point to any of these great value windows laptops which were promised.

Was hoping to buy one.

At the very least they could have admitted they were takin out if their proverbials!

I feel your frustration and I can assure you of my deepest and heartfelt sympathy, but a heated debate is not exactly the best place to ask for advice regarding which laptop to buy.

P.S. There is actually a sticky thread here dealing with such requests but feel free to start your own thread. Please state your budget, preferences, requirements and I'm certain, some kind soul will volunteer and point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Torqay wrote: »
    I feel your frustration and I can assure you of my deepest and heartfelt sympathy, but a heated debate is not exactly the best place to ask for advice regarding which laptop to buy.

I think he just meant that with all the talk of Apple being ridiculously overpriced, that he'd be picking up a MacBook Windows equivalent for half the price.

When what we ended up with was the UX301LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I think the thing about Mac is that they are amazing little machines. They don't break and they're very versatile. In years gone past they were a niche product for graphical designers, architects and other similar people. But now the entire Apple brand has been hijacked by idiots who are willing to throw a fortune at products just so they have the Apple logo.

I think this confuses the issue. Most people here don't think Apple is overpriced, they're just overpriced to the idiots who buy them and don't NEED them. For somebody who genuinely wants a small, portable, well built, nice interface with buttery smooth OS, Mac is the only way to go if you have the money. For most people though, a PC with similar specs for 500-600 euro less is more than enough. But like I said, Apple in generally is being hijacked and now this is spreading to the Macs so that they now contain features that are completely unnecessary and overpriced like Retina display which massively jacks the price up. This "Retina display" is also known as "full HD" and is pretty standard on most laptops on the upper range.
    So yes, Macs are good and they're worth the money if you require such a niche product which Apple in the past unapologetically, exclusively catered for. But they're certainly not cool anymore and they're getting progressively worse.

But I'd also point out that Microsoft's move towards emulating Apple's closed platform model is not a good thing for consumers overall. I don't want to live in a world five years down the line where everything I use on my computer has to come through an app store and discs become a thing of the past. It'lll lead to enormously overpriced software as it already does on OSX to a certain extent.
    Hopefully more people see the light and go with Linux so that it gets the install base it needs to really thrive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

troyzer wrote: »
    ... It'lll lead to enormously overpriced software as it already does on OSX to a certain extent....
    Could you give me a "for instance" please?

I rebuttal of your perception of "enormously overpriced software", the last major upgrade to OS X, Mavericks, was free. Depending on licensing arrangements and revisions already installed on your Mac, the following were also free (to me at any rate):
    • the "iWorks Suite"
      • Numbers (spreadsheet)
      • Pages (word processor)
      • Keynote (presentations)
    • plus
      • iMovie
      • iPhoto
      • Garageband
      • iBooks
    • as well as the usual Contatcs, Safari, Calendar, Mail, Reminders, Notes, Maps, etc.
    That's a pretty good deal for the cost of a bit (a lot!!) of broadband.

Advertisement